MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
KJ Noons versus Nick Diaz "definitely not happening"

The very-public feud between EliteXC Vice President Jared Shaw and 160-pound champion KJ Noons' manager Mark Dion has now led to the official cancellation of the proposed bout for EliteXC's October return to CBS.

Shaw today informed MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of EliteXC's decision.

"KJ Noons versus Nick Diaz is definitely not happening on Oct. 4," Shaw said.

Shaw said the cancellation was unfortunate, but he believes the burden does not lie with Noons. Instead, Shaw believes Dion is to blame.

"I still believe KJ Noons can defend his title," Shaw said. "I still believe KJ Noons is a man of honor. He comes from a great family, a fighting family. He's a great kid. He's a great athlete. I think he's just being mismanaged right now."

Dion recently told MMAjunkie.com that by refusing to accept the bout with Diaz he was merely acting in Noons' best interest. Shaw strongly disagreed.

"[Negotiating] is the manager's fiduciary responsibility for the fighter," Shaw said. "But it's also the manager's responsibility to get his fighter to take the right fights that lead him to financial gains, and it's up to the manager to make sure that he has the fighter understand how EliteXC feels about him. Otherwise the manager is painting whatever picture he wants to paint. And in this case, this manager -- his 15 minutes of fame is costing his client his career."

And while Dion has promised to bring forth full details of the dispute in a perhaps-forthcoming press conference, Shaw is unconcerned.

"I don't really have to say much because Mark Dion said pretty much everything for me," Shaw said. "In fact I wish just saying 'hi' ... would make Mark Dion have his press conference. I will be the first one there in the first row because I need a good laugh. There's not many good sit-coms on anymore, and I need a good half-hour laugh."

Dion has claimed that Noons has little to gain in a second bout with Diaz, the man whom Noons defeated to win EliteXC's first-ever lightweight belt. Shaw finds that claim laughable.

"So according to Mark, the opportunity to be on CBS doesn't help him, does it?" Shaw asked. "Then Mark needs to tell that to the winners of 'American Idol' or 'Survivor.' Or even the losers of those shows who have all blasted into the stratosphere.

"He needs to say that to any competitor or athlete who has had an opportunity to be showcased on national television. You think Michael Phelps would be on Sports Illustrated, on Wheaties boxes, would be the No. 1 Google search? You think that would happen if he didn't have the platform of network television to be showcased on? He would just be another swimmer winning awards."

In addition to the cancellation of the proposed bout, EliteXC also elected to extend the length of Noons' contract. While Shaw would not disclose the exact length of the extension, the move limits any options Noons and Dion might seek outside of the organization.

"We have already sent a letter," Shaw said. "It doesn't extend for fights. It just extends for time. With that and time off for injury following the first Nick Diaz fight, pull up that chair if you're not willing to fight."

Shaw also took offense to Dion's claims to MMAjunkie.com that he was simply holding Noons out for a bout with Eddie Alvarez. While Noons' camp has stated it believes Alvarez to be EliteXC's true No. 1 contender, the DREAM lightweight grand prix champion is currently unavailable due to his impending marriage. Shaw said that shouldn't push back the fight too long, as, "People get married in five or 10 minutes."

"I think Mark Dion owes an apology to Eddie Alvarez," Shaw said. "I think he owes an apology to every human being out there at this point.

"You want to say Eddie Alvarez is the No. 1 contender? Fine. Do I think Eddie Alvarez is a great fighter? One-hundred percent. Do I think he's worthy of a title challenge? One-hundred percent. Does he make great fights? One-hundred percent.

"Unfortunately Eddie is not available at this time due to recovering from an injury and also due to the fact that he is getting married, and he is going on a honeymoon. Sorry, Mark Dion. It doesn't take five to 10 minutes. It takes five to 10 days. And sometimes it takes longer than that.

"It's marital bliss, and the guy deserves that. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. And your selfish ass is not going to get in the way of that."

When asked whether or not Noons would be stripped of his title, Shaw said that EliteXC was "not prepared" to make a decision about the belt at this time.

While the conclusion of the feud between Shaw and Dion seems to be far from over, Shaw offered a message of support for Noons.

"I think you're a champion," Shaw said. "I don't think you're scared of Nick Diaz. I would like you to prove that to the world -- that you are the champion that we believe you are.

"EliteXC 100 percent believes that you can win this fight. We 100 percent believe Nick Diaz can win the fight. We 100 percent believe that together you make a spectacular fight."

"KJ Noons, please wake up and smell that beautiful Hawaiian coffee. We want you to fight. We believe in you. Believe in yourself, and defend this belt."

Feb 7, 2006
Kenny Florian Accusing Roger Huerta of Greasing Up

To be honest he was really slippery and I don’t mean that like technically-wise, he was really slippery. I don’t know, I don’t want to speculate and say that something was used or whatever but he was just hard to hang on to and that was from all the positions. Even when I had him in like a headlock or a guillotine everything was just really slippery. When I get the position, when I get mount, when I get back-mount, I’ve fought and I’ve wrestled some of the best guys on the ground from Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and submission wrestling to MMA and when I get those positions you’re not getting out and Roger was able to get out. It was pretty slippery so I was a little surprised. Just the first time I was mounted on him and he gave his back I was a little suspicious, I knew something was up. Who knows, all I know is I’m good at keeping those positions and I know the difference between sweat and something else and it felt like something else but who knows. (Jokingly) Maybe it’s Albolene left over from the day before from the weight cut!

Feb 7, 2006
Hieron Agrees to Fickett at Affliction 2

Former International Fight League welterweight champion Jay Hieron (Pictures) has verbally accepted an offer to take on Drew Fickett (Pictures) at Affliction 2 “Day of Reckoning” on Oct. 11 at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas.

Fickett’s manager, Alexander Oxendine of 2 A-T Media, confirmed his client had been made an offer and negotiations are ongoing.

“We’re in discussion with a few organizations and Affliction is one of them,” said Oxendine. “They are at the top of our list. As far as Drew is concerned, he’s made a great turnaround with his life and training. He is ready to move forward.”

Since his last UFC bout in April 2007, Fickett’s career has seemed to be a rollercoaster ride outside of the cage.

An on-again off-again title bout against EliteXC welterweight champion Jake Shields (Pictures) never got off the ground due to injuries to both participants, which led to scheduling difficulties later down the road.

After a handful of failed attempts, EliteXC representatives said Fickett’s “personal problems” had taken a toll on their relationship with the wayward fighter, and they planned to release him from his contract.

In June, Fickett attempted to step in and fight Luke Stewart (Pictures) for a Strikeforce event in San Jose, Calif. However, a battle over Fickett’s contract obligations with Canada’s Maximum Fighting Championship and its owner Mark Pavelich spilled onto the Internet, as the fighter had supposedly already been booked for a July 25 MFC card.

“He’s ready to move forward and handle himself professionally,” says Oxendine of Fickett’s last few months. “He wants to take his fighting career seriously and to the next level.”

Fickett (35-6) has won five of his last six fights, including victories over Mark Weir (Pictures) and Spirit MC 176-pound champion Jae Suk Lim (Pictures). On Aug. 8, Fickett churned out a first-round submission over Joe Manzello after stumbling six days earlier with a second-round loss to Richard Villes (Pictures) at a RITC event in his native Arizona.

Hieron, 32, is stepping in the ring after fielding offers from the UFC, Elite XC and Strikeforce for his services. Hieron signed a three-fight non-exclusive one-year deal with Affliction last Friday. He joins Xtreme Couture teammates Mike Pyle (Pictures) and Chris Horodecki (Pictures) for the fledging promotion’s second event on Oct. 11.

In June 2006, Hieron (15-4) found a home within the International Fight League’s welterweight division. Rising through the ranks, the Long Island native become one of the now-defunct organization’s bigger stars before capturing their welterweight crown in December 2007. Hieron defended his crown only once against Mark Miller (Pictures) in March before the ailing promotion ceased operations.

Affliction 2 “Day of Reckoning” will be headlined by a heavyweight tilt between top-five contenders Josh Barnett (Pictures) and Andrei Arlovski (Pictures).

Feb 7, 2006
M-1 Challenge Korea

M-1 Challenge hits Korea on August, 29. Below is the full fightcard of Team Korea vs. Team USA, Team Japan vs. Team World and three superfights. Return of Roman Zentsov in one superfight.

Team Korea vs. Team USA

1 Jong Man Kim Team Korea VS Team USA David Gardner -70 kg

2 Doowon Seo Team Korea VS Team USA Jake Ellenberger -76 kg

3 Hyungyu Lim Team Korea VS Team USA Brandon Magana -84 kg

4 Mujin Na Team Korea VS Team USA Bryan Harper -93 kg

5 Jihoon Kim Team Korea VS Team USA Jeremiah Constand HW

Superfight

6 Park Won Sik VS Furdjel de Wind

Team Japan vs. Team World

7 Daisuke Nakamura Team Japan VS World Team Wim DePutter -70 kg

8 Hidehiko Hasegawa Team Japan VS World Team Norman Paraisy -76 kg

9 Yuya Shirai Team Japan VS World Team Jordan Radev -84 kg

10 Tastuya Mizuno Team Japan VS World Team Bruno Carvalho -93 kg

11 Yuji Sakuragi Team Japan VS World Team Stefan Struve HW

Superfights

12 Heo Min Seok VS Radmir Gabdulin

13 Lee Sang Soo VS Roman Zentsov

Feb 7, 2006
Chuck Liddell looks to remain in UFC another "two to four years"

Although Chuck Liddell (21-5 MMA, 16-4 UFC) may have lost two of his previous three fights and be turning 39 years old this December, don't expect the 10-year UFC veteran to be calling it quits anytime soon.

The ex-UFC-light-heavyweight champion said he still has a few years left while a guest of "The Lights Out Show" on the TAGG Radio Network (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"(I still have) two to four years depending on how my body's feeling," Liddell said. "I'm hoping in two years I'll still be saying 'two to four years.' I still feel like fighting now and my body is still working now."

While many of the sport's newer fighters enjoy moving from camp to camp in order to evolve their techniques, Liddell feels he has been served well by remaining with John Hackleman at The Pit throughout his career.

"We have people come in and train with us," Liddell explained. "And I work out with different people from time to time. But changing actual camps all the time, and doing that travelling thing, I don't think that's advantageous."

Another growing trend among today's fighters is the choice to bounce from organization to organization in order to seek out the highest pay. While several contenders such as EliteXC and Affliction would certainly love to have the exposure "The Iceman" would bring to their organization, the veteran of 20 UFC fights feels comfortable remaining with the UFC.

"The UFC has been very good to me, and I don't see me fighting anywhere else," Liddell said. "At this point they have all the best fighters in my weight, so that's where I want to be. I'm trying to prove I'm the best at what I do. That's what I'm out there doing. So I don't see me changing anytime soon."

And though speculation continues to grow around a possible move to heavyweight, Liddell feels there are still too many quality opponents in his own division to set his sights on another.

"Going up (in weight) is always a possibility," Liddell admitted. "But there's still a few guys I need to fight at my weight. And until then I'm not going to worry about going up or down.

"I've thought about (moving to heavyweight) before, but until I get done with some of the things I want to get done at light-heavyweight it doesn't make sense to move."

And with Liddell's UFC 88 main-event clash with undefeated Rashad Evans looming just two weeks away, the 38-year-old understands the importance of victory. And with a win Liddell feels a title show should follow.

"I think I have a good chance (for a title shot) after this fight," Liddell said. "I need to go out and win, and win impressively. And then I think it would make sense."

Liddell also discussed his thoughts about his previously-scheduled bout with Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, his opinion of Lyoto Machida, and why he feels his style has been so successful in the UFC. To hear the full interview download Thursday's edition of "The Lights Out Show," available for free in the TAGG Radio Network archives.

Feb 7, 2006
IFL refugees Dan and Jim Miller anxious for UFC debuts

For IFL refugees and brothers Dan Miller (8-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Jim Miller (11-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC), the chance to fight in the UFC can't come soon enough.

"My brother and I, we quit our jobs a couple weeks ago," Jim recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Now we're training full-time. I'm anxious to get in there. It's tough going into it the first couple fights before you have a little padding in the wallet."

Jim, a lightweight, was scheduled to make his debut for the UFC at April's Ultimate Fight Night 13 against Marcus Aurelio. The then-struggling IFL held Miller's contract, and the organization blocked Jim from accepting the fight.

That decision left 24-year-old Jim with bitter feelings about the organization.

"I wasn't too happy with what was going on with [the IFL] at the moment," Jim admitted. "I really didn't get treated that well personally. So I was pretty happy when we got out of [the IFL contract].

"We were actually supposed to be out of it when I got called for the (Marcus) Aurelio fight (in the UFC). Then [the IFL] kind of hosed me."

For 27-year-old Dan, who earned the IFL's middleweight title with a submission win over Ryan McGivern in his final bout for the ill-fated IFL, the experience was equally upsetting.

"[The IFL's demise] was pretty frustrating," Dan said. "To win the title and not get to defend it? That's what makes a champion -- being able to defend the title. That is frustrating, not being able to defend my belt."

Fortunately for both, the UFC came quickly calling. In fact, stunningly quick.

"My manager had been in talks with the IFL," Jim explained. "(He was) asking them what was going on, when we were getting out, all that stuff. Then it all happened so quickly. It was like one day. It was like, 'Oh, you're released from the IFL.' A day later the UFC's calling up. It was pretty crazy."

Now in the sport's premier organization, the three-year veterans are excited to display to the world the advantages that training with each other has provided.

"We push each other really hard -- if it's rolling or just doing striking and conditioning," Dan said. "We really push each other. No one can push you like family. You can get under each other's skin, but it never gets into anything bigger."

Jim echoed his brother's sentiments.

"I think [training with a brother] is a huge advantage," Jim said. "Dan and I are really competitive, but we've never gotten into fights or anything like that. We joke around with each other. We're competitive with each other. We push each other. He likes to tap me out. I like to tap him out. But it's more just like rubbing it in the other guy's face."

Of course training is one thing. Competing at the same time can prove a difficult challenge.

"On nights when we've fought on the same card, it can get a little hairy," Jim said. "We've been lucky that most of the time nothing's really happened. The last two fights that we fought on the same card were a little tough.

"The one we fought in November at Ring of Combat, it was the third round and Dan was fighting before me. He took a mean right hook and ended up breaking the bone in his face. He takes the punch and it doesn't even wobble him, and he wins the fight. But then he comes back and he's got this divot in his face.

"So then the doctors are like, 'Oh, you broke a bone. You've got to go to the hospital.' Then I've got to sit there and see my older brother put on a gurney. So he's going to the emergency room 45 minutes before I'm supposed to step in the ring. He's been there every day with me training. He's been in my corner for every other fight. And then to have to wish him luck as he goes to the hospital was tough. It was really difficult to keep my head in the game."

While both fighters are still waiting on their first bout with their new organization, it is the type of grit and determination displayed that November evening that the brothers believe will lead them to continued success in the UFC.

"I like to push the pace," Dan said. "I go hard for all three rounds. When you see me fight the fight is going to end up on the ground. And it's going to be a war on the ground."

Jim sees himself in much the same manner.

"I'm not the best wrestler," Jim admitted. "I'm not the best jiu-jitsu guy. I'm not the best striker. But my style is just to keep advancing. Get my opponent into a scramble and take something.

"And I'm really not going to leave anything for the after-party. There are guys out there that like to pace it out so they feel the same in the third round as they did the first round. That just doesn't sit well with me. I'm going to go out and I'm going to push as hard as I can.

"If it comes down to me now being able to stand up after the third round, then I've got three cornermen in my corner to carry me out."

Feb 7, 2006
Josh Thomson vs Ashe Bowman Strikeforce fight booked for Playboy Mansion

Strikeforce Lightweight Champion Josh “The Punk” Thomson will take on team Lion’s Den member Ashe “The Machine” Bowman (6-4) in a three-round, non-title match at “Strikeforce at the Mansion II” at the world-famous Playboy Mansion in Beverly Hills, Calif., on September 20.

Strikeforce Vice President Mike Afromowitz confirmed the news today to MMAmania.com, which was first reported by Ariel Helwani.

Bowman has won six of his past seven contests after beginning his career with three straight losses. He’s competed five times under the Ken Shamrock Productions banner, winning each time.

Take that for what it’s worth.

He certainly comes as a surprise opponent for the champ — most fans were probably expecting someone with a little more notoriety. But that doesn’t mean Bowman isn’t capable of pulling off the shocker … anything can in mixed martial arts, right?

This will be The Punk’s first fight since winning a unanimous decision in June over then highly-regarded champion Gilbert Melendez. Thomson was a significant underdog in that fight. And after pulling off the upset he earned himself a place amongst the big dogs in terms of the top fighters in the world.

Therefore, it would be an upset of epic proportions if Thomson loses this fight. Bowman just isn’t on his level when it comes to talent or experience. This is most likely a showcase fight for the champ — perhaps to keep him busy and at the same time rest his still-healing shoulder.

In short, don’t be surprised if he takes this one in impressive fashion.

Some were expecting this fight to take main event status after Thomson’s opponent was announced, but given the caliber of opponent and it being a non-title fight, it’s possible that one of the other matches will take center stage.

The light heavyweight championship fight between champion,Bobby Southworth and challenger Renato “Babalu” Sobral is the likely choice.

Feb 7, 2006
Wilson Reis excited for titleshot

As we first reported in na exclusive interview at August 8th, Wilson Reis will fight for ElietXC’s bantamweight belt against Bao Quach at September 26th edition, at Santa Ynez, California. “I’m very happy with this opportunity. I’m training hard here at Philadelphia for this fight. Mastar Roberto Godoi came to my house and gave tips for this fight and will be at my corner. This fight will be the most important of my career and I wanna win the bantamweight title to ”, said Wilson . “My last fight was very tough, I had good moments and my opponent was better and others, but I put him down seven times and controlled the whole fight on the ground, I won all three rounds”, told TATAME.com.

“EliteXC put me to fight for the belt against Bao Quach, from California . I’m very happy. I have three victories at Elite and now have a chance to fight for the belt, and I’m already training to win this”, told Reis, that’s very happy with EliteXC’s growth in. “EliteXC is growing a lot and has a lot of shows already set, they’re strong and threat me very well. In my opinion, EliteXC is only behind UFC, and has everything to be the best MMA event of the world.

Feb 7, 2006
Sengoku IV Fighters Hit Mark at Weigh-In
videolink: http://www.sherdog.com/videos/recent/Sengoku-IV-Fighters-Hit-Mark-at-Weigh-In-1745
Former Pride Fighting Championships lightweight titleholder Takanori Gomi (Pictures) checked in at 153.8 pounds for his main event bout with Seung Hwan Bang (154) at Sengoku IV on Sunday at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

The 16 other men scheduled to compete -- including the eight entered in the Sengoku Lightweight Grand Prix -- also made weight without incident at Saturday’s official weigh-in.

Gomi (28-3) has fought only once in the last 18 months, as he stopped Duane Ludwig (Pictures) on a first-round cut at the Sengoku premiere in March. The 29-year-old Japanese superstar has rattled off 15 wins in 16 fights since his submission loss to reigning UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn (Pictures) in Oct. 2003. Jens Pulver (Pictures), Tatsuya Kawajiri (Pictures), Hayato “Mach” Sakurai and Mitsuhiro Ishida (Pictures) were among those victimized by Gomi during his current tear.

Bang (5-1), the Deep lightweight titleholder, will enter the bout on a five-fight winning streak -- a run of success that culminated with his knockout win over the previously unbeaten Kazunori Yokota (Pictures) at Deep 35 in May.

The eight-man lightweight tournament will feature International Fight League champion Ryan Schultz (Pictures), former Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion Rodrigo Damm (Pictures), Cage Force titleholder Mizuto Hirota (Pictures) and Matt Hughes (Pictures) protégé Clay French (Pictures), among others. The winner will get a crack at Gomi for the vacant Sengoku lightweight crown.

Sengoku IV
Sunday, Aug. 24
Saitama Super Arena
Saitama, Japan

Takanori Gomi (Pictures) (153.8) vs. Seung Hwan Bang (Pictures) (154)
Frank Trigg (Pictures) (182.4) vs. Makoto Takimoto (Pictures) (180.4)
Pawel Nastula (Pictures) (223.5) vs. Yang Dong Yi (220.2)
Moise Rimbon (211) vs. Peter Graham (Pictures) (244.4)
Valentijn Overeem (Pictures) (238) vs. Kazuo Takahashi (207.9)

Sengoku Lightweight Grand Prix
Clay French (Pictures) (153.8) vs. Satoru Kitaoka (Pictures) (154)
Eiji Mitsuoka (Pictures) (153.8) vs. Rodrigo Damm (Pictures) (153.8)
Kazunori Yokota (Pictures) (153.8) vs. Bojan Kosednar (153.3)
Ryan Schultz (Pictures) (153.6) vs. Mizuto Hirota (Pictures) (153.8)

Feb 7, 2006
Matt Lindland versus Trevor Prangley scheduled for "Affliction: Day of Reckoning"

Top-ranked middleweight Matt Lindland (21-5) finally has an opponent for upstart promotion Affliction's second event, "Day of Reckoning."

Sources close to the bout today revealed to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Lindland will face UFC, Strikeforce and BodogFIGHT veteran Trevor Prangley (17-5) at Afflcition's sophomore effort.

Lindland's original opponent, Vitor Belfort, recently bowed out due to a hand injury. Rumors of potential replacements have run rampant since Belfort's withdrawal. Several sources reported that EliteXC champion Jake Shields was a possible alternate despite EliteXC Vice President Jared Shaw's claims to the contrary.

Instead, Prangley -- who has competed against the best in the world at 185 pounds, including victories over Falaniko Vitale, Yuki Kondo, Travis Lutter, Matt Horwich, Chael Sonnen and others -- will step in. Despite several notable wins, losses to Jorge Santiago, Jeremy Horn and Renato "Babalu" Sobral have prevented the South African from garnering elite-level status.

Lindland, victorious in his Affliction debut against Fabio "Negoa" Nascimento, has not suffered a loss in his natural weight class of 185 ponds since 2004. The winner of 10 bouts during that span, "The Law" has competed at both light-heavyweight and heavyweight recently while suffering defeats to Quinton Jackson and Fedor Emelianenko.

Feb 7, 2006
Sengoku - Fourth Battle Results
Organization Sengoku
Date August 24, 2008
Location Saitama Super Arena,
Saitama, Japan

1 Valentijn Overeem Yoshiki Takahashi KO (Flying Knee) 1 2:42
2 Moise Rimbon Peter Graham Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) 2 0:42
3 Yang Dong Yi Pawel Nastula TKO 2 2:15
4 Mizuto Hirota Ryan Schultz KO (Superman Punch) 2 4:25
5 Kazunori Yokota Bojan Kosednar Decision (Unanimous) 3 5:00
6 Eiji Mitsuoka Rodrigo Damm Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) 1 3:13
7 Satoru Kitaoka Clay French Submission (Achilles Lock) 1 0:31
8 Frank Trigg Makoto Takimoto Decision (Unanimous) 3 5:00
9 Takanori Gomi Seung Hwan Bang Decision (Unanimous) 3 5:00

Feb 7, 2006
Sources: EliteXC considering Lawler versus Villasenor for Nov. 8

Despite EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler (16-4) stating he might take the remainder of the year off after a July victory over Scott Smith, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned that Lawler may return as soon as November.

Sources close to the bout today revealed to that a rematch between Lawler and Joey Villasenor (26-6) is "pretty much a done deal" for EliteXC's Nov. 8 card. The event is scheduled for broadcast on premium-cable network Showtime.

EliteXC Vice-President Jared Shaw's recent comments to MMAjunkie.com would seem to confirm the possible match-up.

"Joe [Villasenor] will definitely be appearing sometime in the fall," Shaw said. "And he's definitely in line for a world title shot."

Although Villasenor recently lost the opportunity to fight in front of his hometown after the cancellation of EliteXC's Sept. 20 show in New Mexico, the Albuquerque-native may now have an opportunity for both a title and revenge.

Lawler and Villasenor have faced each other once before. In Oct. 2006 Lawler stunned Villasenor with a flying knee en route to a 22-second TKO victory. Villasenor recently told MMAjunkie.com he would love a second opportunity with Lawler.

"[Lawler] caught me with his first right, he dazed me, and the rest is history," Villasenor said. "Ever since that night I think about it and him all the time. ... I would really like the opportunity to compete against him again."

Lawler has won five-straight bouts and is currently WAMMA's fifth-ranked middleweight. The fight would be Lawler's third title defense in less than six months.

Lawler's potential early return to action could signal EliteXC's commitment to building momentum within the financially-burdened ProElite brand. Recent SEC filings have shown huge financial losses for the company.

With heavyweight champion Antonio Silva out following a drug-test failure and lightweight champion KJ Noons unwillingness to fight Nick Diaz, the company was in need of another title fight to market after their Oct. 4 CBS broadcast.

Feb 7, 2006
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua set for December return

Elite-level light-heavyweight Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (16-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) will look to finally rebound from a disappointing Sept. 2007 UFC debut in December according to the Brazilian website Tatame.com.

Rua made a verbal agreement with the UFC to face ex-light-heavyweight champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (28-7 MMA, 3-1 UFC). Rua and Jackson met in 2005 under the PRIDE banner, with Rua earning a first-round knockout.

"I’ll be back in December," Rua told Tatame.com. "[The UFC] said that I might fight with Quinton Jackson, but nothing has been signed yet. They called me and offered a fight with him and I accepted, but they didn’t say anything else."

Rua is well-aware of Jackson's recent legal struggles, but feels confident Jackson will be available for the bout.

"[Jackson's troubles] surely can be a problem, but I want him back in December and against me," Rua said. "And I believe he can be back."

Rua has struggled through injuries that pre-dated his UFC 76 loss to light-heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin. The injuries forced Rua out of his UFC 85 bout with Chuck Liddell.

Rua said he has recovered fully and is back to training.

"I’m back to training," Rua said. "I’m doing some Muay Thai and jiu-jitsu stuff, and thank God everything is fine now."

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has been unable to reach Jackson for comment.

Feb 7, 2006
ATENCIO CONFIRMS FIGHTS FOR HIERON & HORODECKI

The upcoming Affliction: Day of Reckoning card is beginning to fill out as MMAWeekly.com has confirmed two more match-ups with company Vice President, Tom Atencio.

Included on the card will be a welterweight showdown between two former Ultimate Fighting Championship competitors as Jay Hieron takes on Drew Fickett.

Also slated for action in October are two of the best young prospects in the lightweight division as former International Fight League stand out, Chris Horodecki, returns to action to face the youngest competitor to ever step foot in the UFC, Dany Lauzon.

Jay Hieron joins the Affliction promotion as the last and only ever IFL welterweight champion, who is also currently riding a 3 fight win streak. The bout against Fickett will be his first since defending his IFL title in April.

For Fickett’s part, the fight with Hieron will hopefully help erase much of the controversy that has followed him for the past few months.

The lightweight bout will showcase two of the best and youngest stars in the sport of MMA as both Horodecki and Lauzon have been competing basically since they were legal to do so.

Atencio also shot down recent rumors that former UFC light heavyweight champion, Tito Ortiz, has been signed by the organization. He simply stated nothing has changed in the contract negotiations, and they don’t expect him to compete on the October show.

Feb 7, 2006
Thales Leites analyzes fight with Reljic

With four victories in a row, Thales Leites will have a tough opponent at UFC 90. After a huge unanimous decision victory over Nate Marquardt, Leites faces now Goran Reljic, that won his eight bouts at light-heavyweight division and now debuts at 185’s. “I’m expecting a great fight, everything is fine. I’m training hard and the only different detail is that he’s left-handed, but the reat is all the same”, said the Nova União’s athlete, that doesn’t believes it’ll be a problem.

“I never fought a left handed before, but it won’t be a problem. I’m well trained, I saw some videos and I’m doing my preparation with left-handed athletes… The sad thing is that we (right-handed) don’t usually train with left-handed athletes”, said the athlete, that bet at the middleweight decision between Anderson Silva and Patrick Cote.

“I think it’ll be a huge fight, but I think Anderson will take it… If Patrick wants to do a game on feet he won’t make it, Anderson is taller, more technical and is left-handed. But it’s a fight and everything can happen”, bet Leites, that wants to win another fight to get a titleshot. “Obviously I wanna win the title… If any fighter says he doesn’t wants to fight for the belt, he’s crazy or a liar. But my main focus is to keep winning and if they call me I’ll be ready”, said the athlete.