MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
SHIELDS READY FOR DALEY, SAYS AOKI DECLINED

EliteXC welterweight champion Jake Shields is ready to defend his title for the first time, as he steps into the cage to face British heavy hitter Paul “Semtex” Daley on Oct. 4 as a part of the latest edition of CBS-EliteXC Saturday Night Fights.

Shields’ list of potential opponents has bounced around from everyone including John Alessio to Shinya Aoki and now finally settling on Daley.

“I think it’s a good fight,” he said in an interview with MMAWeekly.com. “He’s got great stand-up. I actually haven’t seen that many of his fights. I’ve got to start watching him fight. He’s a young kid, tough, so obviously I’m going to take him serious, start watching tapes and figure it out from there.”

Previous to this announcement, Shields had been waiting on an answer from EliteXC to take a fight at 185 pounds for Affliction, but that option was declined and he was brought on board for the Oct. 4 card instead.

“I really wanted to fight (Matt) Lindland, but maybe that one can be put on in the future,” Shields commented. “Right now, I’m looking at Daley, getting this win… He’s a legit opponent.”

Daley is the current Cage Rage world welterweight champion. Cage Rage is EliteXC’s sister promotion in the U.K. ProElite, Inc. owns both promotions.

“I was very disappointed, but at this point all you can do is move on and get through the fight in front of you. I was a little disappointed I didn’t get to do the (Lindland) fight, but at least Elite is treating me really good and you know, they didn’t give me that fight, but they put me on CBS, gave me another good fight and I hear they’re trying to get me (Shinya) Aoki.”

Hearing Shinya Aoki’s name will likely spark up matchmaking conversation for every fan of the colorful Japanese fighter, but according to Shields, he doesn’t think the current Dream lightweight will accept the bout.

“I guess they were trying to get Aoki, but he’s got no bushido,” Shields said. “I don’t think Aoki wants to fight me. He’s got no warrior spirit. He’s from Japan, who’d have thought?”

With all the other potential opponents now behind him, Shields will focus solely on Daley. While many fighters love to try and match their opponent’s strengths going into a big fight, Shields will keep things simple.

“I’d like to take him down and submit him,” he commented. “I’m definitely not going to try and knock him out, but anything’s possible. I’m going to throw some punches.”

Jul 24, 2005
Tito Ortiz Is Expendable

Tito Ortiz was offered a new UFC contract prior to his last fight at UFC 84, and he refused to sign it. Which was a rational move at the time, because had he won he would have had more leverage as to how much he was actually worth. As we all know, Ortiz lost to Lyoto Machida pretty convincingly. However, there were organizations such as Affliction and EliteXC that were in dire need of someone like Ortiz.

Ortiz failed to do his homework in the matter. Which is funny considering that Ortiz thinks his business acumen is like the greatest ever(it’s not). Ortiz should have gotten his facts straight in regards to how the UFC’s competitors were doing financially before continously biting the hand that fed him. By the way, that hand is capable of feeding him way better than the other competitors. Somewhere along the way Ortiz got it twisted that it’s all about the fighters. It IS all about the fighters, but he forgot the most important thing in the game….WINNING. Winning against legitimate competition that is, because frankly Ortiz hasn’t done much in that department lately. In fact he hasn’t beaten a credible opponent since barely winning against a very green Forrest Griffin at UFC 59(and that fight is debatable).

The fact of the matter is, Ortiz is 0-2-1 in his last three fights but keeps demanding money like he’s a top 3 LHW. While still a good fighter, it’s clear that he is no longer a top ten fighter. Both EliteXC and Affliction are bleeding money, and are in a state of turmoil. As bad as they need a fighter like Ortiz just for name recognition, they simply can’t afford what he’s asking for. He could possibly go fight in Japan, but those organizations are in dire straits as well for the most part. Plus, the ego of Tito Ortiz NEEDS to fight in America.

There are reports that Ortiz is in negotiations with the UFC again after repeatedly saying his UFC 84 match would be his last. Frankly, I think he is in a worse position now than prior to the Machida fight. The UFC LHW division is STACKED and the numbers show he doesn’t put butts in the seats like he used to. They don’t need him, and Dana White has basically stated as such. In fact, it’s possible that the contract they offer him now could be less than what they offered him prior to UFC 84. I mean what is he going say “No, I’m not signing for that” and go fight somewhere else? Then again, he could move up to fight at Heavyweight as I’ve suggested before.

All in all, I think the last few months may have humbled Tito Ortiz..or at least I hope so. If he does re-sign with the UFC, it will be interesting to see what angle he uses to justify him doing so. If he chooses not to re-sign, then basically Ortiz has made himself expendable.

Jul 24, 2005
How to lose $55 million dollars in two years

By Zach Arnold

When the IFL repeatedly announced in 10Q SEC filings that they were losing millions of dollars, MMA fans online started turning against the company. You could even see fans on message boards rooting for the IFL to collapse and go away. After all, the company managed to lose $30 million USD in the time span of a couple of years. Gareb Shamus and Kurt Otto, simply put, failed miserably in the MMA business. Of course, they also got paid through the stock market to play around with the IFL experiment.

The failure of the IFL brought a negative light on the MMA business in terms of outsiders viewing the industry as anything other than UFC-dominated. We know Zuffa LLC is the only game in town, but the question was whether or not someone with a legitimate business background could come into the MMA game and produce a league that could turn a profit. The answer was and still is a resounding ‘no.’

On Tuesday, the news got even worse for fans looking for an alternative to UFC.

Pro Elite, the parent company of Elite XC, announced in their 10Q SEC report that the company has lost an estimated $55 million USD in the timespan of 18 months. Simply put, the financial math and bloodletting from Elite XC headquarters is unfathomable. The company claimed that they had spent $1.3 million USD on their web site alone in six months of expenditures. At a time where MMA bloggers can’t get $500/month sponsors for a business that still has growth potential, Pro Elite is handing out the cash like chocolate at the Willy Wonka factory.

This is beyond embarrassing. It’s shameful.

How can an organization with a Showtime & CBS TV deal manage to lose money like a dot.com company? One look at the 10Q report quickly shows that the TV networks are paying little more than the price to buy stock in Pro Elite. The TV revenue for the events Elite XC has produced are miniscule. The cost to generate that TV revenue is pretty high, too.

It’s not hard to imagine a scenario now where we could see Showtime or CBS take over Pro Elite soon. Is that something that people are rooting for? Before you get your hopes up too high, remember what happened when a corporation (Time Warner) took over a fight promotion (WCW). You ended up with a former Pizza Hut executive coming up with an idea to book a tag team called The Ding Dongs.

Is this what we want in MMA?

Simply put, there’s a complete lack of accountability and financial restraint going on amongst UFC’s wannabe competitors. They are wannabes, by the way. In my last article on MMA Memories, I pointed out that the one common denominator that all of UFC’s rivals are currently lacking in the MMA business is consistency. Boy, was I ever wrong. There’s consistency all right — consistency for all of these groups to lose their financial ass and for the key players of the failed projects to walk away with a salary and money on the table.

All of this is damaging to the health of Mixed Martial Arts. In order for the sport to grow on a global basis, it’s going to have to take more than just Zuffa LLC’s money to finance the growth of the business. This business desperately needs fresh blood and cash. More importantly, the industry needs solid and respected businessman who will not try MMA as simply a play toy. In order for MMA to expand into countries like China, Brazil, and Australia, it’s going to take a lot of big businessmen to get involved to finance these types of operations. Unfortunately, I greatly fear that a backlash is about to begin in regards to investing money in MMA and that the recent failures in the business are going to drive away people who would otherwise be a good fit in the sport.

Put yourself in the shoes of a rich millionaire or billionaire. You just watched the IFL go out of business and lose over $30 million in the process. Pro Elite has admittedly lost $55 million USD in the time span of around two years. DREAM, which is the bastard child of K-1 & DSE, is one more show away from being completely finished off if it can’t pop a good TV rating. Sengoku is in horrible shape and may not last much longer given the way the company is running huge buildings with lackluster cards. Affliction, after one show, reportedly lost a lot of money and may very well lose a lot of money on October 11th in Las Vegas. At what point, as a rich person, do you sit there and go, “Look at the track record of this business. Why would I put money into it other than for a tax write-off?”

There will always be rich people who will try to get into MMA and think that they can do better than the others. “Well, I won’t make this mistake like the other guy did” or “I know how to run a business unlike these guys.” However, most of the rich people who make these statements usually end up being talkers only and don’t put their money where their mouths are. Why? Because they’re not stupid enough to blow away money in a business that is so volatile right now and has little or no upside in terms of investing serious cash.

All of the current financial turmoil in MMA is good for UFC in the short-term but terrible for that organization in the long run. UFC can’t be in the position of being MMA’s version of Mother Theresa — they can’t pay for every fighter in the business. Pro Elite’s attempt at building up a successful farm system of B-level promotions has failed.

What’s next for an MMA industry where the only certainty these days seems to be uncertainty

Jul 24, 2005
Hardy ready for big-stage debut

Hardy takes on experienced Japanese fighter Akihiro Gono (pictured above) on the undercard of Mike Bisping's mouth-watering clash against Chris Leben at Birmingham's National Indoor Arena on October 18.

The 26-year-old welterweight from Nottingham, who has signed a four-fight contract with the UFC, has been splitting his training between the Xtreme Couture and 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu camps in order to be in top shape for his battle with the Tokyo fighter.

"I am training harder than ever before for my UFC debut," Hardy told Eurosport-Yahoo! "I flew out to LA to train with the best fighters and coaches in the world and I cannot wait to show off the stuff I've learned against Gono.

"I've got a new strength coach who has me doing crazy things like pushing cars up hills and I've been learning some incredible BJJ techniques from Eddie Bravo."

Hardy admits that Gono is a fighter he has admired for years, first in PRIDE in Japan and more recently in the UFC, where Gono made his debut in November 2007 with a submission victory over Tamdan McCrory.

But as much as Hardy respects the veteran, he says Gono's claims that he will "be sending the English fans home in tears" with a defeat of the home favourite are well wide of the mark.

"It is funny Gono is saying the British fans are going to be in tears, because I think this is going to be the best night ever for the British fighters in the UFC. I just hope he's working on his skills as much he does his entrance music and costume because he's travelling a long was to get his arse kicked at UFC 89.

"It will be a short, painful night for him."

Hardy will hit the ground running when he joins fellow Brits Paul Kelly and Paul Taylor in the 170lb division, arriving on the big stage with a record of 19-6-0-1, and he insists he won't feel under any pressure from the biggest crowd he will have ever fought in front of.

"The only pressure I will feel on my debut is to give a good account of myself and show the world that I am for real," says 'The Outlaw'.

"Nerves are natural and if I wasn't nervous before a fight, I would be concerned. Nerves are what make me switch into fight mode and prepare my mind to take care of business."

Two further fights have been announced for UFC 89; in an all-European lightweight showdown, Sweden's Per Eklund takes on France's Samy Schiavo, and in a clash between two of the sport's top young 155-pounders, 24-year old Canadian Sam 'Hands of Stone' Stout battles 22-year old Liverpool native Terry

Feb 7, 2006
Horodecki-Lauzon Agreed for Affliction 2

Young gun prospects Chris Horodecki (Pictures) and Dan Lauzon (Pictures) have agreed to face each other at Affliction 2 “Day of Reckoning” on Oct. 11 at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas.

Both lightweights have agreed to the fight, though bout agreements have yet to be signed. Lauzon is waiting to see a bout sheet for the Horodecki fight before making a multi-fight commitment to Affliction.

Lauzon, 20, is coming off a string of wins for World Championship Fighting, the Massachusetts-based league promoted by Joe Cavallaro, who has a non-exclusive contract with Lauzon.

Lauzon (10-2) defeated the eccentric New Yorker Brendan Hoxie in brutal fashion via second-round TKO on June 20, and was recently featured on the Versus reality show “Tapout.”

World Extreme Cagefighting has also showed interest in Lauzon, who is the younger brother of UFC lightweight Joe Lauzon (Pictures).

Lauzon was a last-minute replacement against Spencer Fisher (Pictures) ay UFC 64 in October 2006, losing via TKO in the first round. With that fight, Lauzon, then 18, earned the historical footnote of being the youngest fighter to compete in the UFC.

Horodecki, 20, a centerpiece striker of the now extinct International Fight League, racked up seven straight wins in the promotion, including a “fight of the year” candidate against wrestler Shad Lierley (Pictures), before falling to Ryan Schultz (Pictures) in December.

Horodecki (12-1) and Sam Stout (Pictures), both students of renowned striking coach Shawn Tompkins (Pictures), recently opened the Adrenaline Training Center in London, Ontario, with their mentor’s blessing.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC newcomer Mike Patt discusses "Breakthrough" opportunity

Breakthrough" is the name given to UFC 88, and for veteran fighter Michael Patt (12-2), it couldn't be more appropriate.

The veteran fighter recently stepped up as a late replacement for James Lee, who was forced to withdraw from the event due to an arm injury, and will make his long-awaited octagon debut next month at the event.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) spoke to Patt as he prepares to fight fellow light heavyweight Tim Boetsch (7-2) at the Sept. 6 event in Atlanta's Philips Arena.

Patt discussed a number of topics, including taking the fight on short notice, his fighting style, training with Team Jorge Gurgel and the choices a fighter faces when the UFC calls with an opportunity.

MMAjunkie.com: You fought just one week ago on Aug. 15. Are there any lingering injuries that you'll take into your fight with Tim Boetsch ?

Michael Patt: No, I didn't take any damage in that fight. I took the fight to get some ring work in. It was a really quick fight. It lasted about two minutes. I thought I'd signed up for three five-minute rounds, but when I got to Texas, I found out they were only three three-minute rounds. I decided I didn't want to let my opponent out of the first round, so it ended quickly.

MMAjunkie.com: When you take a fight on short notice, and you are coming off such a recent fight, is it easier or harder on your body and state of mind?

Michael Patt: After a fight your body goes through what I call a "full-body hangover." It just wants a chance to recoup. My management called me at 2 a.m. and told me that I would be fighting in the UFC. Quite honestly at that point, you have two choices: take the fight, or probably never get called again. Fortunately, the full-body hangover only lasted a few days. I've been back training hard and have a few weeks left. I'll be ready.

MMAjunkie.com: You've been fighting for a while and have a pretty good record. But were you surprised by the call?

Michael Patt: I don't know. I thought I was close a few times and felt like I was knocking on the door. Things in the business have changed so much over the years, and getting noticed is more than just a good record. Being in the right place at the right time and having great management with good relationships with the UFC helps a lot.

MMAjunkie.com: You train out of Ohio with Team Jorge Gurgel, correct?

Michael Patt: Yeah, I've been training with Jorge Gurgel for a long time -- since he was a blue belt, in fact. Back when I started training, if you could find someone who was a blue belt or a purple, you had struck gold. It's a strong team and has been very good for a long time.

MMAjunkie.com: You were only recently notified about the fight, but what do you know about your opponent Tim Boetsch?

Michael Patt: He's a good wrestler, aggressive, OK stand up, not really a [Brazilian jiu-jitsu] guy, and I expect he'll want to keep it standing.

MMAjunkie.com: For people who may be unfamiliar with you and your fighting style, how would you describe yourself.

Michael Patt: Patient. I'm all over the board. I'll stand, work in the clinch, use knees and work on the ground. A lot of people enter a fight saying, "I'm going to keep it standing, or I'll take it to the ground." And when their gameplan doesn't work, they are mentally ruined. I want to hit you in the face and work from there and be comfortable wherever the fight goes.

MMAjunkie.com: You have been a free agent for a while. Do you prefer that as opposed to signing a longer-term deal with a single organization?

Michael Patt: There are plenty of places to fight, and some guys will tell you how they want to fight here or there. But given the chance, they would all fight for the UFC regardless of what they might say. It validates everything you do as a fighter. I would be very happy to call the UFC home.

MMAjunkie.com: Let's talk about the contract that brought you in for the Boetsch fight.

Michael Patt: I believe it is a standard four-fight deal, but like any contract, the company reserves the right to terminate it if I stink the place up.

MMAjunkie.com: Do you have any shout-outs or thank yous for your supporters or sponsors?

Michael Patt: Yes, I have to thank the guys at Denaro Sports Marketing, Wade Hampel at Rumble Sports Management, and Biva Advisor Group. Also I'd like to thank Pete MacCallum at Line Handlers, my strength and conditioning coach Eric Ramsey, and all the guys at Team Jorge Gurgel.

MMAjunkie.com: Do you have a website where fans and supporters can contact you?

Michael Patt: Yes, they can visit www.mikepatt.com.

Feb 7, 2006
EliteXC’s ‘Impending Doom’ Averted for Now

Though its coveted spots on CBS and Showtime rival any other broadcast deals currently enjoyed in the sport, it’s unlikely any promotion is envious of EliteXC this week.

Nearly nineteen months into operation, Pro Elite -- the parent organization to EliteXC, ShoXC, King of the Cage, Cage Rage, and ICON events –- has found itself centerstage following a recent succession of incidents that have put the company’s ability to get the job done in question.

Last week, EliteXC’s welterweight champion Jake Shields (Pictures), who’s clocked in under nine minutes for his trio of victories in the cage, went public with his intentions to accept a more challenging bout with a top-five middleweight through another promotion.

Just a few days later, news prematurely leaked out that a scheduled Sept. 20 event at the Pit in Albuquerque would be cancelled –- this before main event draw Joey Villasenor (Pictures) had even been notified.

On its heels, private negotiations between Mark Dion, manager to EliteXC lightweight champion Karl James Noons, and the promotion have gone public and seem to get uglier by the day.

The icing on the cake came with Thursday’s announcement that EliteXC heavyweight champion Antonio Silva (Pictures) had tested positive for the steroid Boldenone following his July 26 title victory.

SEC filings this week show Pro Elite is almost $55 million in the red, largely due to operating expenses incurred from its 15 flagship events to date, as well as its investments in other organizations (still running events themselves) that the company purchased to bolster its stable of fighters. In comparison, the UFC spent $44 million in four years before it struck oil with “The Ultimate Fighter” reality TV series.

EliteXC has certainly seen better weeks, and the memory of their May 31 debut of “Saturday Night Fights” on CBS in primetime -- which garnered heaping amounts of press and the most eyeballs of any live MMA event ever broadcasted with an average 4.9 million viewers –- seems to be fast fading.

However, there is light at the end of the tunnel, if Pro Elite can get to it in time. If changes were ever needed in the organization it would be now, and changes are being made.

Within the latest round of job cuts at its Los Angeles headquarters, high-paid executives, including the much-liked Doug Deluca and the not-so-beloved Gary Shaw, were shifted to consulting positions to help deter costs and fine-tune Pro Elite’s leadership and direction.

Stepping up the production line, no less than four events are on the organization’s calendar in the next month and a half. On Sept. 26, a ShoXC event will emanate from the Chumash Casino in Santa Ynez, Calif., while a pivotal Oct. 4 event in primetime on CBS -- EliteXC’s third installment on the major network -- will be a crucial marker for the promotion.

An Oct. 10 show will follow at the Harrah’s Casino in Indiana, and a Nov. 8 EliteXC on Showtime, venue to be announced, will likely become the refuge for Villasenor’s Sept. 20 fight against a yet-to-be-determined opponent. Another Sept. 20 bout between the ferocious Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos (Pictures) and Japanese trailblazer Yoko Takahashi (Pictures) has found a home on the Oct. 4 card as well.

For all intents and purposes, it’s business as usual, according to EliteXC’s Head of Fight Operations Jeremy Lappen -- headaches and all.

“It’s great that we are under the microscope because that proves that we are a big company and in the public’s eye, but all of the things they’re talking about are things that every promotion has dealt with,” says Lappen.

Lappen, who has been party to all of the fighter negotiations under heavy speculation this week, sees recent developments as the proverbial growing pains associated with any company trying to get over the hump.

The Sept. 20 cancellation was a necessary move to ensure the next four cards, including Oct. 4’s mega CBS event, delivered with quality bouts.

One of those intended Oct. 4 fights, a rematch between lightweight champion KJ Noons and Nick Diaz (Pictures), has been a casualty in the process, says Lappen.

EliteXC representative Jared Shaw publicly announced Thursday that the promotion had placed a same-day deadline on Noon’s manager, Mark Dion, to accept the bout with Diaz.

“The deadline had actually already come and gone and we gave him one last one,” says Lappen. “We we’re hoping that he would take the fight, but for whatever reason they’re not taking it.”

Instead, Dion has voiced his demands to have Noons fight recent Dream grand prix finalist Eddie Alvarez (Pictures) instead.

Calling the stalemate “an unfortunate situation all around,” Lappen says that EliteXC representatives are not allowed to personally address Noons regarding any negotiations per a clause Dion added to his client’s most recent contract incarnation.

“It’s not up Dion to decide who the number-one contender is,” says Lappen. “We decide what the title fights are and Diaz has won three fights in a row and he had a fight with KJ that a lot of people thought that he [Diaz] would win eventually until it got stopped on a cut. Diaz earned his rematch.”

A bout between Noons and Alvarez was never under consideration, says Lappen. Alvarez had been a possibility for a separate bout on the Oct. 4 CBS card, but the potent Philadelphian is getting married in September and will likely return for the EliteXC card scheduled for Nov. 8 on Showtime.

While Noons’ future with EliteXC hangs in the balance, Jake Shield’s recent attempt at defection was not taken on the promotion’s chin quite as squarely.

Shield’s offer to fight Lindland in the rival Affliction promotion on Oct. 11 was actually met with interest by Pro Elite execs, says Lappen, and probably would have happened if the contract-honoring champion had not been offered and accepted a title defense against rising British striker Paul Daley (Pictures) on Oct. 4’s card.

“We’re OK with our fighters taking fights elsewhere if the opportunity presents itself,” says Lappen. “We want our fighters to be able to test themselves, and we’re certainly open for co-promotion. If there’s fights out there that the fans want to see we should try to make those fights.”

Though Shields’ requests were handled in a much more professional manner, his plans for temporary exodus suggested that something was lacking in the EliteXC promotion.

Lappen doesn’t fault Shields for his quest to face richer talent.

“The truth is that there’s guys that we need to bring into the 170-pound division and Jake can claim that because he’s been running through everybody,” says Lappen. “I think fighters are fighters and they’re always looking around. Is it a sign of weakness in the UFC that Randy [Couture] didn’t want to stay there and go fight Fedor [Emelianenko]? I don’t know that that’s a sign of weakness for the UFC saying that they don’t have any good heavyweights.”

While wrangling in new talent and keeping its veterans satiated seems to be the biggest of Pro Elite’s challenges for the moment, all is not lost.

The returns of Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson (Pictures) and Gina Carano (Pictures) Oct. 4 on CBS are surefire aces in the hole. Carano will face tough but manageable Minnesotan Kelly Kobald (Pictures)-Gavin, while the already iconic Slice could climb into the cage with nemesis Brett Rogers (Pictures), legend Ken Shamrock (Pictures), or ghost of Internet scuffles past in Boston police officer Sean Gannon.

A week that started out with a windfall of doubt following one cancelled event has finally come to a close and a new one is set to begin.

“Smaller organizations have postponed events and that’s been a signal of their impending doom, which I do understand why people sort of jump to that conclusion, but not with us,” says Lappen. “We have four events coming up in the next two months -- all televised. Now we just have to execute them properly.”

Feb 7, 2006
CHUCK LIDDELL WANTS TITLE SHOT AFTER UFC 88

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship light heavyweight titleholder Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell takes on undefeated "Sugar" Rashad Evans at UFC 88 at the Phillips Arena in Atlanta. If Liddell wins, he wants an opportunity to regain the title against current champion Forrest Griffin.

Liddell is confident that a win over Evans on Sept. 6 will result in a title shot. "I think it should," he told MMAWeekly.com. "I think I should have a shot at him. I don't see why I wouldn't. Who else sells as much? But I'll fight whoever.

"I think it seems to make sense for (the UFC). But that's not something I concern myself with right now. I've got to get past Rashad before any of that makes any sense."

Fans have shown interest in seeing him against UFC middleweight titleholder Anderson "The Spider" Silva, but Liddell made it clear what fight he wants if he's victorious against Evans. "I want the title shot, of course," said the former champion. "I'd like to get that and everybody else can fall in after that."

Liddell gained the UFC light heavyweight crown by defeating Randy "The Natural" "Couture at UFC 52 in April of 2005 and held the belt for more than two years. He defended the title four times before being dethroned by Quinton "Rampage" Jackson at UFC 71.

Feb 7, 2006
Cheick Kongo: ‘Nothing worries me too much with Brock Lesnar’ if UFC 91 fight is booked

“…. If the UFC wants me to fight Lesnar, I’ll do it for sure…. Lesnar was impressive [against Heath Herring at UFC 87]. He showed confidence in his standup striking and completely dominated Heath Herring…. I try to never underestimate any of my opponents but there’s really nothing that worries me too much with Brock Lesnar. I know it could be a tough fight, but, you know, I train hard and I will be ready for this one too. I am hungry.”

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Quick Quote: Dan Henderson is pissed

“I think this is a good match up for me. I’m going to be the guy that’s a lot more dangerous on my feet and it’s somewhere he doesn’t want to be with me. So it’s going to be his task to get me into his world on the ground. I’m not the easiest guy to take down, you know—so the determining factor of the fight is who can defend takedowns, who can get their takedown and if I can knock him out coming in or whatever. [Pretty] much all Palhares has is submissions. I try to come up with a game plan not to fight right in the guy’s strengths, so obviously I’m going to be trying to stay up on my feet with him. I just see myself knocking him out. I was pretty pissed at my last performance and I’m probably going to be a little bit pissed when I go out there and fight this guy. I’m ready to do a 15-minute grappling match with him if I have to, but I’m not going to lose.”

Feb 7, 2006
Dana White Confirms and Set's the Date for GSP vs Penn

UFC President Dana White has confirmed in a recent interview with Yahoo! Sports that UFC 91 will not take place in Montreal, however it will take place at the Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon, featuring Kenny Florian and Joe Stevenson.

Dana White has also mentioned the signing of the much anticipated showdown between GSP and BJ Penn, at UFC 92 in December.

Feb 7, 2006
JZ Calvancanti Interview

DREAM: JZ Calvan! looks like you are enjoying Hawaii!
JZ: very much lol

DREAM: so why are you here?
JZ: I've been training with Melvin Manhoef at ATT for a month now, we've become very close.. Melvin's team mate Badr Hari is fighting here in Hawaii so I came here to support him and to go surfing as well... Hawaii has nice beaches!

DREAM: so how is your left knee?
JZ: I had a surgery and it was succesful. plus rehab has been good too.. its getting better

DREAM: when do you plan to make a come-back?
JZ: in about 2weeks, I plan to start grappling a bit. and if it goes well, I want to fight again at the end of this year. and I would like to fight Joachim Hansen!

DREAM: last time you fought Hansen was a SHOOTO about 4 years and 7 months ago..
JZ: yeah, so if I do fight him, it will be a re-match

DREAM: you lost via decision last time
JZ: I've changed so much that I'm a completely different person now. so I'm confident I can beat him so when I come back, I want to challenge Hansen. I'm sure fans would like to see that too

DREAM: yes we do! did you watch Aoki vs Hansen at DREAM5?
JZ: yeah I did, seems like Hansen studied Aoki well and it was a good fight

DREAM: the LW GP was very disappointing for you
JZ: I know why I lost to Aoki and it was a good experience, although the result wasn't good. I think the GP itself was a great event. the last 4 fighters were all great fighters and its simply amazing to see them fight 2 fights in one day. the GP was won by a reserver (Hansen), and I love the tournament system. some times I think to myself, 'what if I was the reserver?' but I think god wanted me to recover from my injury.

DREAM: do you want to fight Aoki again?
JZ: of course! I want a re-match! I'm going to win, I don't want to lose to anyone

DREAM: Manhoef will be taking part in MW GP, what do you think of him?
JZ: He is a smart fighter and also physical, he's been working on his grappling everyday at ATT and he is a fast learner! plus there is no doubt about his striking abilities. He will win the MW GP!

DREAM: OK, many people want to see you fight again, any last words for your fans?
JZ: Thank you to all my fans in Japan, I love to fight in Japan and I love the fans too. sorry for disappointing many fans who supported since HERO*S but once I recover from my injur, I will be stronger and I will become the DREAM champion so wait for me. See you again in Japan!

Feb 7, 2006
Paul Kelly on Marcus Davis, UFC and Sparring With Rampage

On preparing for Marcus Davis:

"I'm to 86 kilos at the moment, which is heavy for me. I've put a lot of muscle on."

"I'm working with this physiotherapist who has got a machine that professional footballers use. It simulates eight weeks of high-altitude training in just two weeks.

"High-altitude training means less oxygen is available so your body increases the amount of red blood cells to compensate. When you're back at sea-level again, you get an increase in endurance and speed."

On making it to the UFC:

"I'm not up my own arse or anything, I haven't changed at all. Still got all the same mates and go to the same places. I've got nothing to get stuck up about, I'm only having a scrap, you know what I mean? The only difference is now I'm in the UFC I'm getting paid more money.

On getting stuck in:

"I've sparred Quinton Jackson a few times. I'm a bit awkward for the heavier weights to spar because I'm fast and I get stuck right in there. I'm in the pocket right in there where I can smell their breath.

"It takes away a lot of their power - if you're at the end of someone's punch eating it up, you're going to go asleep."

On nearly making onto series 3 of The Ultimate Fighter (alongside Bisping):

"I had never wrestled and I went for the TUF auditions that Mike got in. Something was wrong on my form so they gave it me to correct and there was a bit on there where they rate you, I wasn't supposed to see it but I did. It said striking good, something else good, wrestling...excellent!"

On his fighting style:

I never want to be a boring fighter, win or lose I want to put on an exciting fight. I mean Wanderlai Silva is never gonna be out of a job is he? That's the kind of fighter I try and be.

On recently becoming a father:

"I've got a daughter there, she's only four months old, Phoebe her name is. She's a little pudding though, like her dad, fat face on her.(laughs)"

On his Scouse ethnicity:

"Liverpool's a poor city compared to most and people crack on how they can. They are all nice people though, if you ever meet a Scouser they always want to talk to you, they are funny and they're easy to get on with."

On Wolfslair boss Anthony McGann:

"He has terrorised me my whole fighting career with shit nicknames and cake shop rumours!"

"He tapped me out once, coz he can wrestle, and I can't get him back. Sometimes I'll see new guys tap him but it's like I've got this mental block where I can't do it!"

Feb 7, 2006
URIJAH FABER: "I'M READY TO ROCK"
link: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3295.html?PHPSESSID=946961a6221c8c3d48863d33c4bf6636
"I think I'm going to be a little bit faster than he is. I know that he relies on strength a lot to kind of bull guys down…He's good at boxing, he's good at wrestling and he has great Jiu Jitsu, but I think I got some stuff on the in-between, like scrambling. The unseen stuff is going to be the difference in the fight," stated WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber as he talked about his upcoming clash with Mike Brown. Check out what else he had to say as he talked about his training for the fight and much more.

Feb 7, 2006
JOSE ALDO TO RETURN AT WEC 36

Nova Uniao featherweight Jose Aldo will return to the cage at WEC 36 on Sept. 10. The Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt will take on World Extreme Cagefighting newcomer Jonathan Brookins. Aldo was originally scheduled to fight John Franchi, but an injury suffered in training forced the International Fight League (IFL) veteran to withdraw from the fight.

The match with Brookins is the second fight of Aldo’s five-fight contract with the UFC’s sister promotion. “Junior” is coming off one of the biggest wins of his career with a dominating TKO finish over former Shooto champion Alexandre Franca Nogueira at WEC 34.

WEC 36 takes place on Sept. 10 at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Fla. The event will be headlined by a featherweight showdown between champion Urijah Faber and American Top Team’s Mike Thomas Brown. Also, Paulo Filho will defend his WEC middleweight belt in a rematch against Chael Sonnen and former UFC champion Jens Pulver looks to rebound when he takes on Leonard Garcia.

Feb 7, 2006
WAGNNEY FABIANO SIGNS WITH THE WEC

The last remaining International Fight League champion, Wagnney Fabiano, has signed on with a new organization. The IFL's only ever 145-pound champion will now compete in World Extreme Cagefighting, according to the fighter in an interview with Tatame.com.

The Brazilian stand out was dominating during his time with the IFL, actually making it to the finals of the promotion's Grand Prix tournament in the lightweight division. Instead of him competing in that weight class, the organization allowed him to move to his natural 145-pound division and compete for a title there.

Fabiano defeated L.C. Davis to win the title and then went on to decimate highly touted youngster Shad Lierley in his only title defense.

Now the former IFL fighter will step into possibly the best featherweight class of any organization in the world, including current champion and recognized No. 1 featherweight Urijah Faber.

“Faber is the best of the world now,” said Fabiano in the interview with Tatame. “To beat him, I think you have to be in a good shape. He’s an expert fighter and he has good gas. It’s complicated to beat a guy like him. You have to set a good gameplan and be calm and watch the elbows, because if he hits you it can change the whole fight.”

No official word on when Fabiano could possibly debut with the organization, but with the next WEC show slated for Sept 10, he may have to wait until a proposed show currently dated for Dec. 3.