Miguel Cotto vs Antonio Margarito set for July 26th

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Who wins?

• Total voters
May 6, 2002
Why don't people ever mention Margarito injuring himself in this fight and actually being out longer after the fight than Clottey was?
Going off what they said (not really having proof other than Internet text and the post fight interviews) is Clottey saying he broke is left hand, and then Margarito saying he hurt his wrist.

Clottey claimed to break it earlier in the fight than Margarito hurting his wrist.

Nevertheless, both claiming injury, Margarito still should have lost.

It wasn't a robbery though, but neither was Johnson vs Dawson or Castillo vs Mayweather (I). Just a majority of opinion.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
Going off what they said (not really having proof other than Internet text and the post fight interviews) is Clottey saying he broke is left hand, and then Margarito saying he hurt his wrist.

Clottey claimed to break it earlier in the fight than Margarito hurting his wrist.

Nevertheless, both claiming injury, Margarito still should have lost.

It wasn't a robbery though, but neither was Johnson vs Dawson or Castillo vs Mayweather (I). Just a majority of opinion.
Agreed. I'm just used to most people claiming robbery on all close decisions. I'm not even the biggest Margarito but it seems a lot of people slam his accomplishments and talents and I do think that he did a good amount down the stretch in the Clottey fight to make it extremely close if not take the victory.

.. I would like to see Clottey in the mix of top welterweight matchups and not fighting the Shamone Alvarezs and Jose Luis Cruzs of the world.

Aug 14, 2006
Gotta go with Cotto by UD. As long as he boxes on the outside he will be good. Margarito looked sluggish againt Cintron, and get hit plenty of times by Cotto's new and improved jab

Jul 24, 2005
If and When Cotto Fights Margarito…

By Ted Sares: If they meet, it will give new meaning to the phrase “Mega Fight.” Let’s just call it “Machismo Explosivo.” This fight involves two tough as nails guys meeting in a clash of titans. One is from boxing crazy Puerto Rico; the other from boxing crazy Mexico.

Miguel “Junito” Cotto is 32-0 and slaughtered his last opponent. Antonio Tony Margarito, 36-5, brutalized his last foe. Both have excellent KO percentages and both can render tremendous punishment (Cotto over Carlos Quintana and Margarito over Sebastian Andres Lujan).

Margarito can take you out with one body shot (Cintron) or one head shot (Golden Johnson), but most of all, he is an incoming pressure fighter who uses an incredibly high punch volume to break his opponents down in savage and relentless fashion. When he is good, he is great. When he is bad (Clottey and Santos), he is, well pretty bad. Still, while Tony favors brawling, he also can box well when necessary. And his chin may be the very best in boxing.

Cotto also can dispatch an opponent with one body shot (Mohamad Abdulaev) or one head shot (Kelson Carlos Pinto). He is more consistent and has pretty much (though not entirely) shaken off the weak chin rap. More importantly, he has become a far better boxer improving almost imperceptibly in each outing. He now has better movement and uses the jab much more effectively. He is quickly becoming a complete package and that spells trouble for anyone who fights him.

He Also has fought the better opposition and has beaten former world champions Sugar Shane Mosley, Zab Judah, DeMarcus Corley (TKO5), Randall Bailey (TKO6), Carlos Maussa (TKO8), and Cesar Bazan (TKO11). He also has beaten previously undefeated contenders Carlos Quintana (TKO5), Paulie Malignaggi (W12), Ricardo Torres (KO7), and Kelson Pinto (TKO6), as well as contenders Muhammad Abdulaev (TKO9), Victoriano Sosa (TKO4) and Lovemore Ndou (W12).

Cotto reminds of Jake LaMotta with his incoming moves and savage body work, wearing down his prey until they are ready for the kill. Margarito favors a faster kill, and is equally menacing. He too knows how to work the body. Both employ legal assault and battery in their tool chest.

Cotto has been hurt a few times, but managed to recover. If Margarito hurts him, he will not let him off the hook.

Still, if and when they meet, one thing needs to be kept in mind. Cotto savaged the man (Quintana) who soundly beat the man (Paul Williams) who beat the man (Margarito). Given this fact and his steady improvement, I favor Cotto, but only by a razor thin margin--and a draw would not surprise me

Dec 9, 2005
By Ted Sares:
Still, if and when they meet, one thing needs to be kept in mind. Cotto savaged the man (Quintana) who soundly beat the man (Paul Williams) who beat the man (Margarito). Given this fact and his steady improvement, I favor Cotto, but only by a razor thin margin--and a draw would not surprise me

I don't go for all of that 'he beat him, and he beat him, so he should beat him...' garbage. Styles make fights, and those comparisons never work.

Sep 3, 2002
Cotto to face Margarito on July 26 at MGM Grand in Vegas

The fight of the summer is signed, sealed and delivered.

That's why we're calling it 'The Battle.' It's a tough-ass fight. Two real men fighting. There won't be any playing around. No ducking or dodging. These are two guys who will go at it. That is their style. And don't forget the element that it is Mexico vs. Puerto Rico, which is the great rivalry in boxing.
-- Bob Arum

Welterweight titleholder Miguel Cotto will face Antonio Margarito on July 26 in an HBO PPV bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas now that both have signed for the much-anticipated fight, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com on Thursday.

"I get really excited about a fight like this because I know it can't be anything but great," Arum said. "That's why we're calling it 'The Battle.' It's a tough-ass fight. Two real men fighting. There won't be any playing around. No ducking or dodging. These are two guys who will go at it. That is their style. And don't forget the element that it is Mexico vs. Puerto Rico, which is the great rivalry in boxing."

The fight matching two of boxing's most exciting fighters has been on track since April 12, when they both knocked out opponents on the same card.

Cotto (32-0, 26 KOs), of Puerto Rico, stopped "Contender" star Alfonso Gomez in the fifth round to retain his 147-pound belt for the fourth time and Margarito blew out Kermit Cintron via sixth-round knockout in a rematch.

"These guys both have great chins, great determination and great power," Arum said. "It's going to be some battle. I just hope that they are not ruined from a fight like this."

Mexico's Margarito (36-5, 26 KOs) won a world title from Cintron, but he will relinquish it in order to face Cotto rather than fight Joshua Clottey in a far less lucrative mandatory match. Arum said Margarito would officially renounce his title "within the next week."

Before Margarito, 30, defeated Cintron, he had already agreed to terms for the Cotto fight as long as they both won on April 12, Arum said. Cotto, 27, was also committed to the fight, but did not sign until Wednesday night, Arum said.

"Margarito signed off before his fight with Cintron," Arum said. "Cotto wanted the fight but we were going over terms and minutia, and finally Miguel and his team agreed on everything last night."

Arum would not divulge their purses, which will eventually be public when the contracts are filed with the Nevada State Athletic Commission. However, Arum said each would receive "by far the biggest purse they have ever gotten." Besides the purse, each fighter will receive a percentage of the profits from the pay-per-view revenue.

Cotto's biggest purse was $3.2 million for his November victory against Shane Mosley. Margarito earned a $1.2 million purse when he lost a version of the title to Paul Williams last summer.

The fight will officially be announced during a four-city media blitz next week. They'll kick off the promotion with a news conference Monday in Mexico City followed by a stop Tuesday in Los Angeles, Thursday in New York and Friday in San Juan.

The fight will mark Cotto's first bout in Las Vegas since he knocked out Randall Bailey in a junior welterweight title defense on the December 2004 undercard of the Vitali Klitschko-Danny Williams heavyweight fight.

Since then, Cotto has fought either in Puerto Rico, New York or Atlantic City, N.J. Arum said he felt it was important to establish Cotto on the West Coast, where Margarito has a following.

"Based on Cotto's fights with Zab Judah and Mosley, he has established a good East Coast base on pay-per-view," Arum said. "We felt his base would be loyal and we needed a big West Coast presence. We think the great Mexican fans will come out for Margarito, so it made sense to do the fight in the West rather than the East. We couldn't do it in Las Vegas until they changed the rule on the gloves."

A few weeks ago, the Nevada commission amended its rule on glove size. It had in place a provisional rule that mandated welterweights wear 10-ounce gloves rather than the traditional 8-ounce gloves worn in virtually every other jurisdiction in the world. Cotto and Margarito both prefer the 8-ounce gloves and Arum refused to put the fight on in Nevada until the temporary rule, which was up for review, was changed.

Arum said he has not set the undercard yet but said he wanted to include rising junior welterweight contender Mike Alvarado on the card.

"Alvarado is one guy I really want on the card in a good fight," Arum said. "After that, we're open. I'll be discussing it with my matchmakers."

Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
Just booked my flight for the 24th to the 27th.
Booked my room as well. Staying at MGM signature.

Going to book the tickets as soon as they are available.

I'll be there suckas!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn man, I've never been to a big time boxing fight before. Let me know how much the tickets and everything else ran you. I might go if I could find a couple homies to go with, or maybe I'll take my girl there on a date?

And I voted for Margarito by KO, because I'm pretty sure that's the only way he'll beat Cotto. As a boxing fan, I realize that Cotto is the better fighter and has the best chance to win this. But as a Mexican, fuck Puto-Rico.

May 6, 2002
Damn man, I've never been to a big time boxing fight before. Let me know how much the tickets and everything else ran you. I might go if I could find a couple homies to go with, or maybe I'll take my girl there on a date?

And I voted for Margarito by KO, because I'm pretty sure that's the only way he'll beat Cotto. As a boxing fan, I realize that Cotto is the better fighter and has the best chance to win this. But as a Mexican, fuck Puto-Rico.
There were talks about the fight being in MSG in NY so I held off. Then I said might as well since July 25th is my birthday. Going with my girl and another couple (close friends).

Round trip for 2 from Orange County,CA to LV came out to 166 a piece for the flight.

My cousin has a hook up at the MGM Signature so he got me 3 nights at 475 total in the King Suite. Normal rate is 300 a night, so I got a little more than half off.

Oh, I've been a boxing fan my whole life, even through this UFC fad I stayed true to the sport. I used to post on the boxing topics a lot but I took my boxing talk elsewhere :) I'll still chyme in when someone acts like they know. Ya, I follow boxing religiously.

May 6, 2002
So now my girl starts talking shit about "oh thats lame, you are going to spoil my vacation, etc. etc.". This is what really pisses me off about her.

I missed Calzaghe vs Kessler for her and she acted like it was nothing. Now she is mad I'm not spending Satruday night with her. If she keeps this up who knows, I may have an extra ticket. I will seriously dump her ass if it means me missing this fight.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
So now my girl starts talking shit about "oh thats lame, you are going to spoil my vacation, etc. etc.". This is what really pisses me off about her.

I missed Calzaghe vs Kessler for her and she acted like it was nothing. Now she is mad I'm not spending Satruday night with her. If she keeps this up who knows, I may have an extra ticket. I will seriously dump her ass if it means me missing this fight.
LMAO...This shit is funny.

And this is the best fight of the last ten years, so I hella wanna go see it.

May 6, 2002
LMAO...This shit is funny.

And this is the best fight of the last ten years, so I hella wanna go see it.
It seriously pisses me off. I dont mean to vent on this board and take up space but I dont have anywhere to go right now. Let's see her punk ass come up with any loot to make this all happen. God Forbid I go watch 2 fights of an 8 fight card for 3 hours out of the whole trip.

I dumped her ass once for acting like this and it gave her a quick reality check, and she comes crawling back. I put that on everything I will do it again.

STUPIDUMBITCH

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
It seriously pisses me off. I dont mean to vent on this board and take up space but I dont have anywhere to go right now. Let's see her punk ass come up with any loot to make this all happen. God Forbid I go watch 2 fights of an 8 fight card for 3 hours out of the whole trip.

I dumped her ass once for acting like this and it gave her a quick reality check, and she comes crawling back. I put that on everything I will do it again.

STUPIDUMBITCH
hahaha

I hear you though man. Good luck in dealing with that homie, hope it all works out...

May 6, 2002
Ya, it should be a good one. I worked it out and she is going to watch Phantom Of The Opera during. Anything is better than hearing her complain WHILE I'm at the fight. I've been to plenty of events, UFC's etc. and it just kills it when someone has a conflicting interest.

Occassionally there are some good boxing conversations on mma . tv, but I stopped going there ever since they redsigned it (dont like the new layout) and you still get the die hard MMA fan talking shit. So I mostly stay on gambling sites such as wager line, predict em, etc. When you are talking with people who lay action on fights they always have good info to share. Who is injured, who is sick, how training is going, etc. Stuff that doesn't really make the fightnews or boxingtalk.