Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
Who said it's okay for Floyd to say anything? The Floyd/Pac fight isn't about the money for the fans, but the fact that so much money can be made is an insult to fans when the fight isn't made. The fight was about the 2 best fighters in a weight class, and in this case the 2 best in the world, fighting each other. The fans are demanding Stevenson/Kovalev. Listen to Adonis's interview after fighting Bellew. He says Quebec City is more interested in him fighting Froch or Bhop. That crowd had been going off for a majority of the night, yet when he mentioned those fighters twice, no one cheered.

Props: CZAR and CZAR

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Who said it's okay for Floyd to say anything? The Floyd/Pac fight isn't about the money for the fans, but the fact that so much money can be made is an insult to fans when the fight isn't made. The fight was about the 2 best fighters in a weight class, and in this case the 2 best in the world, fighting each other. The fans are demanding Stevenson/Kovalev. Listen to Adonis's interview after fighting Bellew. He says Quebec City is more interested in him fighting Froch or Bhop. That crowd had been going off for a majority of the night, yet when he mentioned those fighters twice, no one cheered.
Look at the posts in this thread and you will see who is saying it. It is ok for Floyd to not fight this guy or that guy, ok for Manny to get called out by the entire division only to smile like a fuckin bafoon and say "talk to my manager" yet this guy is ducking? And Canada has embraced Hopkins ans Froch more than Kovalev so I can see why he said what he did or didn't say. And now it looks like waiting has paid off as both men stand to make more money now. But again, Kovalev calls out Stevenson and Stevenson says nothing it is a crime, but when Bhop says he aint droppin his belt and calls out Kovalev you niggas don't say shit.

Feb 8, 2006
Will Adrien Broner be Pissed Off if Floyd Mayweather STEALS his Rematch with Maidana???

By Shawn Craddick

Adrien Broner wants the rematch so bad with Marcos Maidana. Marcos beat Adrien at the Alamodome in San Antonio last year on Dec 14th. Within a 1 month's time Adrien decided to sign his rematch clause. Marcos Maidana was up for it at first although he said he wanted to push it back a little since he has a little one on the way. Understandable. Then his name was thrown into the Floyd Mayweather Lottery. What happened then? He said screw Broner, I want the millions to fight Floyd.

One thing we don't know is what kind of "rematch" clause was it? Even if it is a immediate rematch, Marcos will turn the belt over for the few million dollar payday. Can you blame him? However, how will that make Adrien Broner feel towards Floyd Mayweather? Broner wants the chance to avenge his loss and Floyd is stealing that opportunity away from him. Will this move Piss Off Adrien? Time will tell because we hear Floyd will make his announcement during the next couple of days.

Feb 8, 2006
Provodnikov vs. DeMarco in Play For June Showdown?

By Salvador Rodriguez

According to sources in Mexico, former WBC lightweight champion Antonio DeMarco is being mentioned as a potential opponent for WBO junior welterweight champion Ruslan Provodnikov. The Siberian champion's return is being targeted for June 14th on HBO. Provodnikov (23-2, 16KOs) had hoped to fight Brandon Rios, but there are issues with the weight as Rios is unable to get to 140-pounds. DeMarco (30-3-1, 23 KOs), now competing at 140-pounds, is looking to secure a major title shot.

The only problem in making Provodnikov-DeMarco, if there is one, is that both fighters are trained by Freddie Roach - an issue which also came up when Provodnikov was being pursued to fight Manny Pacquiao in April.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
Look at the posts in this thread and you will see who is saying it. It is ok for Floyd to not fight this guy or that guy, ok for Manny to get called out by the entire division only to smile like a fuckin bafoon and say "talk to my manager" yet this guy is ducking? And Canada has embraced Hopkins ans Froch more than Kovalev so I can see why he said what he did or didn't say. And now it looks like waiting has paid off as both men stand to make more money now. But again, Kovalev calls out Stevenson and Stevenson says nothing it is a crime, but when Bhop says he aint droppin his belt and calls out Kovalev you niggas don't say shit.
that's not a great comparison though. BHOP is 49 years old man. He's a living legend. At this point in his career, he's earned the right to take the fights he wants to take IMO. He's making history with every fight at this point. Stevenson has been champ for like a year. He's 37 years old. I can understand wanting to get that money while the gettin is good, but if that's what it is, say that. His answers about Kovalev are "he needs to fight more people like I did." "We can make that fight, if I get paid more" etc... yet he's fighting guys like Bellew. It's not a money issue. It's risk vs. reward. that's the problem with these fighters today.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
Provodnikov vs. DeMarco in Play For June Showdown?

By Salvador Rodriguez

According to sources in Mexico, former WBC lightweight champion Antonio DeMarco is being mentioned as a potential opponent for WBO junior welterweight champion Ruslan Provodnikov. The Siberian champion's return is being targeted for June 14th on HBO. Provodnikov (23-2, 16KOs) had hoped to fight Brandon Rios, but there are issues with the weight as Rios is unable to get to 140-pounds. DeMarco (30-3-1, 23 KOs), now competing at 140-pounds, is looking to secure a major title shot.

The only problem in making Provodnikov-DeMarco, if there is one, is that both fighters are trained by Freddie Roach - an issue which also came up when Provodnikov was being pursued to fight Manny Pacquiao in April.
I appreciate DeMarco's willingness to fight the best, but this is a really bad fight for him. This is going to be Valero/Broner all over again.

Jul 24, 2005
Schaefer thinks Mayweather could make announcement this Monday about his next fight
February 22nd, 2014 | Post Comment - No Comments
1Share 1 4Share 1Tweet

marcos rene maidana floyd mayweather jr By Scott Gilfoid: This Monday, February 24th, will be Floyd Mayweather Jr’s 37th birthday, and Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer suspects that Mayweather could make a special announcement by revealing who his next opponent will be for his May 3rd fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Schaefer said via mlive that boxing fans should “monitor his [Mayweather] twitter account,” to see what he has to say on that day about his next fight.

As far as Amir Khan goes, Schaefer says he’s not sure “where Khan’s tweets came from” last Friday where Khan said he was “disappointed” and how he had wasted his time in trying to get the fight with Mayweather. Schaefer said he tried to get a hold of Khan but was unable to make contact with him.
The Mayweather-Maidana fight isn’t a done deal, Schaefer says. Nothing has been confirmed along those lines, so Khan is potentially still in the running. Don’t get me wrong; I don’t think Khan has much of a chance of getting the Mayweather fight, especially with all the yapping he did last Friday on twitter and in his interview with The National.

Khan’s twitter messages looked like he was surrendering to Mayweather under a white flag. It was so incredibly odd to read Khan’s messages, but also quite enlightening in being able to get a peek into his thought process. I mean, Khan got himself all worked up for nothing without Mayweather even having said anything to him. It was totally self-defeating behavior by Khan. I’m sure Mayweather was busting up when he was reading what Khan had to say, but also probably sickened as well. Khan came across, at least to me, as totally despondent at the end of his rope.

Khan probably would make for a bigger fight for Mayweather than Marcos Maidana. I didn’t think it would be possible, but with all the attention Khan has been getting with his weird comments, I can see a Mayweather-Khan fight build up being like a circus event. With Maidana, he can’t speak English, and he’s naturally reserved. Mayweather would have to do all the talking himself to get fans excited about the fight, and I’m not sure he could do it alone with Maidana just staring at him with blank eyes at the press conferences due to him not being able to understand what Mayweather is saying

Read more at Schaefer thinks Mayweather could make announcement this Monday about his next fight

Jul 24, 2005
Bernard Hopkins vs. Beibut Shumenov a done deal for April 19th!
February 21st, 2014 | Post Comment - 33 Comments
54Share 3 81Share 11Tweet

Hopkins Shumenov Hopkins vs. Shumenov bernard hopkins beibut shumenov By Allan Fox: 49-year-old IBF light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins (54-6-2, 32 KO’s) will be taking on WBA 175 lb champion Beibut Shumenov (14-1, 9 KO’s) on April 19th at the DC Armory in Washington, D.C, according to Dan Rafael. The fight will be televised on Showtime, and WBO middleweight champion Peter Quillin will be on the undercard making a defense against an opponent still to be determined. Hopkins just turned 49 last January, and he seems like he’s just playing out his string.

Fans aren’t too interested in seeing Hopkins fight Shumenov, a fighter who has fought only twice in the last three years. The guys that fans want to see Hopkins fight are WBC champion Adonis Stevenson and WBO champ Sergey Kovalev. However, it doesn’t look like Hopkins will ever fight either of them before retiring due to them fighting on HBO. Hopkins fights on Showtime.
So instead of getting the chance to see Hopkins fight two really exciting fighters, fans will have to settle for Hopkins fight Shumenov.

In terms of interest, the Hopkins-Shumenov fight will likely be be not excite a lot of fans. Shumenov isn’t well known, and he’s not helped himself by rarely fighting. It’s unclear why Shumenov wasn’t stripped by the World Boxing Association after he failed to defend his WBA title for a year and a half from June 2012 to December 2013.

“I’m very excited that both fighters have agreed to this world championship unification fight,” Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer said to Dan Rafael at ESPN. “Bernard Hopkins is approaching his 50th birthday and to be able to unify world championships would be a special achievement. Bernard always says he wants to make history and he has made a lot of it, and then he comes up with something special that will be special. He is setting records that will stand the test of time.”

I think boxing fans would much prefer to see Hopkins in some good fights rather than seeing him pile up meaningless records against obscure champions like Shumenov and making title defenses against little known challengers like Karo Murat. Hopkins is fighting guys, but he’s no longer taking on tough opponents. The last fight where Hopkins face someone that had a chance to beat him was two years ago against Chad Dawson, and he lost that fight. Instead of fighting the Shumenovs and the Murats of the boxing world, Hopkins should agree to fight Stevenson or Kovalev.

If not them, then he should fight Jean Pascal again or take on some of the good super middleweights like Andre Ward or Carl Froch. Hopkins could also face some of the cruiserweights like Marco Huck Yoan Pablo Hernandez, Krzysztof Wlodarczyk, Denis Lebedev, Guillermo Jones, Ola Afolabi, Thabiso Mchunu or Rakhim Chakhkiev.

I think boxing fans would much prefer to see Hopkins fighting some guys that actually had a chance of beating him for a change, because facing Shumenov isn’t going to be a competitive fight. Shumenov struggled badly against Danny Santiago in 2011, and he beat Gabriel Campillo by a controversial 12 round split decision in 2010. I saw that fight and I scored it for Campillo by 4 rounds

Read more at Bernard Hopkins vs. Beibut Shumenov a done deal for April 19th!

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
Man, I am kinda surprised they haven't gone to like 6 ropes in the ring or something to keep guys from falling out. They could put like a thin netting or something? IDK. Lots of dudes have fallen out of the ring in recent memory and that's extremely dangerous I would think when you're basically knocked out already.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
that's not a great comparison though. BHOP is 49 years old man. He's a living legend. At this point in his career, he's earned the right to take the fights he wants to take IMO. He's making history with every fight at this point.
WTF? Did you not read what I originally said about Hopkins calling him out and what 206 posted from Hopkins? They were going to strip Hopkins of the title. It has nothing to do with him being 49 years old, him being a living legend, etc. He was going to be stripped, he called Kovalev out, Kovalev went another route (ducked.) End of discussion.

Stevenson has been champ for like a year. He's 37 years old. I can understand wanting to get that money while the gettin is good, but if that's what it is, say that. His answers about Kovalev are "he needs to fight more people like I did."
See, this is the type of hypocrisy I am talking about. It's ok for you guys to say, "Oh Lara needs more fights" but then when someone else says, "this guy needs more fights" it is a problem. Manny can say "talk to my promoter" after every guy in the division, even cab drivers from the 80's, calls him out and you guys don't say shit.

"We can make that fight, if I get paid more" etc... yet he's fighting guys like Bellew. It's not a money issue. It's risk vs. reward. that's the problem with these fighters today.
Fighting guys like Bellew? He knocked out Dawson, who was the top fighter (or one of the top fighters) in the division and beat the shit out of Cloud who was also a top guy in a the division who was a former belt holder. Now compare his entire resume to Kovalevs and you'll see Stevenson comes out on top.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
WTF? Did you not read what I originally said about Hopkins calling him out and what 206 posted from Hopkins? They were going to strip Hopkins of the title. It has nothing to do with him being 49 years old, him being a living legend, etc. He was going to be stripped, he called Kovalev out, Kovalev went another route (ducked.) End of discussion.

See, this is the type of hypocrisy I am talking about. It's ok for you guys to say, "Oh Lara needs more fights" but then when someone else says, "this guy needs more fights" it is a problem. Manny can say "talk to my promoter" after every guy in the division, even cab drivers from the 80's, calls him out and you guys don't say shit.

Fighting guys like Bellew? He knocked out Dawson, who was the top fighter (or one of the top fighters) in the division and beat the shit out of Cloud who was also a top guy in a the division who was a former belt holder. Now compare his entire resume to Kovalevs and you'll see Stevenson comes out on top.
Hopkins calls out everyone and their mom and rarely fights most of those guys. I don't know the particulars of that particular situation though, I'll look it up.

You keep grouping me into "you guys." I didn't say Lara needs more fights, but I understand the business side of why people won't fight Lara. He flat out doesn't have any fans for the most part man. Announcers aren't talking about why anyone isn't fighting Lara. People are directly asking Stevenson about Kovalev every time he talks about fighting. It's THE fight people want to see. What's so hard to understand about that? It's the same with with Floyd. Floyd vs. Pacquiao is THE fight people want to see. So until those fights are made, naturally people are going to be upset that they aren't made.

I didn't say Kovalev had a better resume. That would be stupid of me to say. But it's not like people are exactly lining up to fight Kovalev. Speaking of Cloud, he got a gift against Campillo and Kovalev iced that dude. Any of the top guys beat Cloud at this point.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Hopkins calls out everyone and their mom and rarely fights most of those guys. I don't know the particulars of that particular situation though, I'll look it up.
I mentioned it a few pages ago. 206 posted more about the subject. Hopkins was going to be stripped of the IBF belt. He called out Kovalev and Kovalev went the easy route. End of discussion.

You keep grouping me into "you guys." I didn't say Lara needs more fights, but I understand the business side of why people won't fight Lara. He flat out doesn't have any fans for the most part man. Announcers aren't talking about why anyone isn't fighting Lara.
This is pure BS. Max is always talking about Lara and recently called him the best 154 fighter in the world. There are other announcers that talk about him as well. Stop making it seem as if this man is a nobody. Announcers are talking about why no one is fighting him. I heard Atlas talk about it, Max talk about it, Ward, etc.

People are directly asking Stevenson about Kovalev every time he talks about fighting. It's THE fight people want to see. What's so hard to understand about that?
And the fight is going to be made so what is the problem? So he didn't answer, and? He got with Haymon, called Kovalev out, said he wanted to unify the belts, etc. What is the problem? Because he didn't bend a knee and bow down when others wanted him to? I've been reading about some early stuff between these two and Stevenson would have gotten the exact amount he was getting for fighters with less of a resume than Kovalev. Now that he waited, the fight can be built up even more and both men make more money. So you claim to talk about understanding the business aspect, yet he said it was all business and Kovalev's team has gone on record to say the fight will be made. So what is the problem?

It's the same with with Floyd. Floyd vs. Pacquiao is THE fight people want to see. So until those fights are made, naturally people are going to be upset that they aren't made.
See above. It's not like they aren't making the fight. They are going to make the fight.

I didn't say Kovalev had a better resume. That would be stupid of me to say. But it's not like people are exactly lining up to fight Kovalev.
So why are you talking about Bellew? What exactly are you implying when you bring him up? Because to any reasonable person, you mentioning Bellew would make it seem like Stevenson is fighting nothing but tomato cans. And let's not forget Bellew is in the top 10 rankings.

And who is lining up to fight Stevenson? Kovalev? The same guy who didn't want to fight Hopkins?

Speaking of Cloud, he got a gift against Campillo and Kovalev iced that dude. Any of the top guys beat Cloud at this point.
And Stevenson knocked out Dawson in one round, a guy BHOP had to fight TWICE and lost to, so what is your point? Yeah Cloud lost against Campillo. Shit his own momma fainted in the ring so you know that boy got whooped, but did Campillo beat the shit out of him like Stevenson? No. And at least Cloud is a top 10 fighter. How many ranked fighters and former champions does Kovalev have to his credit?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2006
very smart of him

Mauricio Herrera is thinking about sparring with Tim Bradley to get ready for Danny Garcia

Mauricio Herrera also beat Ruslan Provodnikov

Last edited:
May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Man, I am kinda surprised they haven't gone to like 6 ropes in the ring or something to keep guys from falling out. They could put like a thin netting or something? IDK. Lots of dudes have fallen out of the ring in recent memory and that's extremely dangerous I would think when you're basically knocked out already.
This was the GOAT:

You're supposed to get a 20 count when knocked out of the ring. Some incompetent refs still don't know that!