Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Yes i do but it also depends on the circumstances. If the all time PPV King's mandatory is an unknown and it wont draw much and the King just signed a huge deal to deliver the big money fights than Im ok with him not fighting the unknown mandatory until the unknown makes a name for himself and gets a big fanbase. Got Em!!
So you're saying you have no problem with a fighter ducking another fighter because you place more emphasis on the money than the sport. What you are also saying is that the best aren't fighting the best and you're fine with it.

That is all you had to say.

Czar, how can Lara be unknown when he is in the p4p rankings for the division and contender for a belt? What name does he have to make for himself when he is being ducked?

Czar, should the commitee strip Floyd of his belt if he doesn't fight his mandatory?

Last edited:

trips

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2006
Vinny 'Paz' movie backed by Martin Scorsese

Former champion boxer Vinny "Paz" Pazienza grew up in Cranston, went to Park View Middle School and soon will be portrayed by Mark Teller, star of The spectacular Now,21 & Over, Project X and That Awkward Moment.

East Greenwich-based Verdi productions announced the casting of Teller as the famed Pazienza in Bleed for This, a film that will be shot in Rhode Island and tells the story of the five-time world champion as he recovered from a near-fatal car accident that broke his neck. He then went on to win three more boxing titles, "one of the most incredible and dramatic comebacks in sports history," according to a release.

Aaron Eckhart will play the role of Paz's trainer, Kevin Rooney. Eckhart has starred in The Dark Knight, Olympus Has Fallen, I,and Frankenstein and will portray Rooney's role in helping Pazienza change boxing styles that helped him be only one of two other boxers to win titles in both the lightweight and junior middle weight class in 1991. Rooney was also Mike Tyson's trainer when Tyson won his first heavyweight championship.

Perhaps the biggest name behind the production is none other than Oscar winner Martin Scorcese, whose resume includes such history making films as The Departed and Goodfellas. Joining the team is Ben Younger, Noah Craft, Emma Tillinger Koskoff, Bruce Cohen and none other than Chad A. Verdi, whose home-grown production company, Verdi Productions/Woodhaven Production Companany already has six feature films under its belt.

The production cost for Bleed for This is estimated to run from $10 to $20 million.

"My producing partners Noah Kraft, my wife Michelle, and I got involved in the film business in 2009 with one purpose: to have the story of Vinny Paz told," Verdi said. "The best thing that ever happened to this project was Ben Younger coming on board to write and direct Bleed for This. [It's] Ben's vision and with the support of Martin Scorsese, Bruce Cohen and Emma Tillinger Koskoff, this film is destined for greatness. I was introduced to Martin and Emma through Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, who has been instrumental in helping me develop these projects."

Verdi noted that writer and director Tom DeNucci will be brought on board as a consultant to the project.

The film is expected to go into preproduction before July 2014.

trips

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2006
Manny Pacquiao News: Timothy Bradley Talking Trash, Pac-Man Won't Talk Back

By Anthony Riccobono

The rematch between Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley is more than two months away. As the boxers promote their fight, the trash talk has already begun.

Bradley is exuding confidence heading into his next bout. The 30-year-old has won every fight in his professional career, including his first one with Pacquiao in June 2012. Since then, Bradley has successfully defended the WBO welterweight title twice. Pac-Man beat Brandon Rios decisively in November, but was knocked out the previous time he stepped in the ring.

“He’s a nice dude, man,” Bradley told the New York Daily News Thursday at a press conference in Manhattan. “Pacquiao is very humble, very spiritual. But I don’t think he has that killer instinct. I don’t think he has that fire in him. I really don’t.”

Even though he beat Pacquiao less than two years ago, Bradley has a chip on his shoulder entering the rematch. He was awarded the split decision, but most experts who saw the fight thought Pacquiao was the clear winner. He has since defeated Ruslan Provodnikov and Juan Manuel Marquez. However, he has yet to prove to many in the boxing world that he can beat one of the best of fighters of the past decade.

"This fight is basically redemption for me," Bradley said via ESPN. "I feel deep in my heart I won the first fight. They don't feel I won the fight and I didn't get any credit. This fight is basically redemption for me. I'm gonna beat Manny Pacquiao and get the credit I didn't get in the first fight. That's the bottom line."

At this point, it doesn’t look like Pacquiao will spar with Bradley through the media. He’s refused to say that he expects to win, even though he’s the favorite.

“In my face Bradley told me that I don’t have the killer instinct anymore and I don’t have the aggressiveness anymore,” Pacquiao said. “I’m not predicting this fight. I’m not saying I’ll knock him out. But I will do my best to win convincingly.”

Pacquiao knows he has to let his performance do the talking. The decision against Bradley may have been controversial, but it was still a loss. After losing two straight bouts, the 35-year-ld is looking to show that he’s still one of the best fighters around.

Freddie Roach, Pacquiao’s trainer, didn’t take too kindly to Bradley’s words. He said he would use it as motivation for Pac-Man when he trains for the fight.

trips

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2006
Can Manny Get His Killer Instinct Back? Should He Bother Trying?

BY Michael Woods

Timothy Bradley has accused Manny Pacquiao, who hasn't registered a stoppage win since 2009, against Miguel Cotto, of having lost his killer instinct.

That has struck a chord in fans and analysts, who note that Pacquiao didn't seek to put a finishing touch on his last foe, Brandon Rios, even though he had the matter well in hand and could have at least ramped up the pressure in order to get a conclusive finish. He got stopped in the bout before that, and against Bradley, he boxed smartly but without a hint of savagery, and that helped give two judges the ammo needed to hand Bradley a SD win in June 2012. Manny couldn't stop Marquez in their third fight, or a faded Shane Mosley in 2011, or a faded Antonio Margarito before that. Joshua Clottey was able to hear the bell to end the 12th when they tangled in Texas in 2010. Yep, Pacman last dropped the hardcore hammer against Cotto, in November 20011 in Vegas, in round 12.

He looked super aggressive in his leadup scrap, when he blitzed Ricky Hatton (KO2) in May 2009. But that style of fighting seems way in the rear view for Manny to many of us.

Now, fight fans are wondering if Bradley has awakened a beastly instinct in Manny, helped usher a closer mindset out of the Congressman that has been, for whatever reason(s), mothballed.

Manny himself thanked Bradley for making that commentary, and trainer Freddie Roach told me Bradley did him a favor, by lighting some fire of fury under Manny. But promoter Bob Arum offered up some contrary wisdom when I talked about the "killer instinct" issue with him during a Thursday press conference in NYC.

Can Manny get the killer instinct back, Bob, or has age, or too much worship of a benevolent God, removed that element from Manny's game forevermore, I wondered.

"All this talk about killer instinct is nonsense," the promoter told me. "What is Manny's best fight plan? His best fight plan is to use his speed, get in, land his punches, and disappear before the guy can answer back."

Hmm, provocative. One might expect the promoter, who knows what fans crave, to play up the "mean Manny is coming back" angle, yet Arum chose to not indulge. No, he noted that the Pacquiao who darted and lanced, as he did against Brandon Rios, and, Arum recalled, Oscar De La Hoya in 2008, was skilled and hard to beat.

"I think Manny realizes that's his best style," Arum continued. "The worst thing that ever happened to Manny was not getting knocked out by Juan Manuel Marquez, but it was knocking out Ricky Hatton. Because then he imagined himself to be this super knockout guy."

Thoughts, boxing fans? Arum makes a good point, and not coincidentally, talks up a fight style that could leave his top boxer with a better chance to elongate his career, and thus, prolong his status as a bottom line booster of Top Rank's profit margin. Could Manny re-find his "killer instinct?" If yes, should he employ it, or should be try to be the slicker boxer than Bradley? You'll recall Bradley had more dark moments against Ruslan Provodnikov, when he was "Rumbling Tim" than he did against Marquez, when he was "Ring General Tim."

Weigh in, in our fabulous Forum.

Follow Woods on Twitter.

Jul 24, 2005
CARLOS MOLINA ON JERMALL CHARLO CLASH: "I'LL BE READY FOR ANYTHING"
By Press Release | February 07, 2014

IBF Junior Middleweight Champion "King" Carlos Molina (22-5-2, 6 KO's) took a break from training yesterday to hang out with all-time-great "Iron" Mike Tyson in Chicago.

Molina, 30, is deep in preparations for his upcoming fight, his first title defense against unbeaten, but unproven, Jermall Charlo (17-0, 13 KO's) on the Showtime PPV undercard of Saul "Canelo" Alvarez vs. Alfredo Angulo on March 8 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"We always have a good game plan going in and we'll have one this time," said Molina. "We have to train to beat him a number of different ways because you never know what will happen on fight night."

Molina says he's not taking 23-year-old Charlo, rated #5 IBF, #5 WBO, #13 WBC, lightly, despite his being unproven against top-flight opposition.

"It's hard to tell what he'll bring," said Molina. "But he's undefeated, so you have to take him seriously. I'll be ready for anything."

Molina is sparring, once again, with undefeated cruiserweight contender Dimar Ortuz, among others.

"Dimar gives me a lot of movement and fights me on the inside and the outside. And he's very strong, so no matter who I fight on fight night, they're never as strong as he is

Jul 24, 2005
LAMONT PETERSON: "I CAN BEAT ANYBODY ON ANY NIGHT...I DON'T SURRENDER TO NO ONE"
By Percy Crawford | February 07, 2014

"I'm not the type of guy that will shy away from any challenge and it was the same way in this case. A lot of people that went through what I went through, they come back gun shy and worried about all of this and that, but with me, it's no worries. This game is a mental sport and I looked at it like if I'm going to continue to fight, I need to be like I always was and that's to fight with no fear, with confidence, and knowing that I can beat anybody on any night...I don't surrender to no one," stated IBF jr. welterweight champion Lamont Peterson, who talked about his recent victory over Dierry Jean, his future plans, and much more. Check it out!

PC: Lamont, you're back in the winning column. How does it feel my man?

LP: I feel good. It was good to get the victory and get back in the winners circle and to be where I belong again.

PC: People expected you to be a little gun shy after the Lucas Matthysse fight. You didn't show that at all. What was the mentality heading into that fight?

LP: I looked at it like anybody that thought that just really don't know me. I'm not the type of guy that will shy away from any challenge and it was the same way in this case. A lot of people that went through what I went through, they come back gun shy and worried about all of this and that, but with me, it's no worries. This game is a mental sport and I looked at it like if I'm going to continue to fight, I need to be like I always was and that's to fight with no fear, with confidence, and knowing that I can beat anybody on any night.

PC: For the most part, you were the one picking the fight. You were the one instigating the exchanges so to speak.

LP: That's my style of fighting. Once I figure things out in there and I get the momentum going my way, I like to fight. At the end of the day, I love boxing, and I know Barry wants me to box more, but he understands that I love to fight and I'm gonna go looking for action a lot of times in the fight.

PC: Jean was a very tough opponent to come back with. Going into that fight, what did you think of facing him as an opponent?

LP: I thought he was a pretty good fighter; overall, pretty skilled. I knew he would come hungry for the championship, but I knew he didn't have a lot of experience and I was gonna take advantage of it.

PC: Is it safe to say that the only thing left to accomplish at 140 pounds is to fight Danny Garcia?

LP: Yes! I believe so. I think that's the next step that we should take and hopefully after that, we move to welterweight and start all over again and hopefully become the #1 guy at welterweight.

PC: Danny has a fight lined up and Barry made it clear he didn't want another layoff for you and would like you to take a fight or two while Danny takes care of his business. Is there any particular name you would like to face while you wait?

LP: Whoever they line up. It doesn't matter. I feel like after I fight Danny Garcia, if I get a chance to fight him, the only other fight that I would stay at 140 for is Matthysse. So hopefully both of those fights can happen this year and I can move up.

PC: Some people will ask, why Matthysse again? Why not try to fight Garcia and move on? Why go back down that road? Is that your no surrender mentality coming out?

LP: I don't surrender to no one and I know, deep down inside, that I'm a better fighter than Matthysse. The fight happened the way it happened, but I know I'm the better fighter. If we were to fight again, I believe I would win.

PC: How did it feel to not only get back on track, but to provide things that a lot of spectators probably weren't expecting to see from you, like you walking forward and bringing the fight?

LP: I really don't too much worry about what they think. I felt like I didn't have nothing to prove to them. I was just happy to be fighting in my hometown again. I'm happy everyone enjoyed the fight and it was an entertaining fight. That's mainly what I was happy about. I wasn't worried about proving anyone wrong or trying to prove anything to no one. At the end of the day, people gonna talk. You can have a perfect fight, but in someone's eyes, it wasn't. I'm learning that no matter what you do, you can't please everyone.

PC: How special was it for you to receive the type of reception you received when you walked out to the ring and to know that they still have your back no matter what?

LP: Right, when I came out and I saw that...I didn't expect that many people. When they showed up, I was extremely happy and happy that my city got me no matter what. I felt like I just had to put on a great performance when I saw that crowd.

PC: When you walked out, it almost looked like you had a moment. You had to take it in right quick. Was that the case?

LP: Yeah, coming out and fighting in DC always gives me that extra energy. This time it was different. It was a little more than the norm this time.

PC: Going back to a potential fight with Danny Garcia for a second, how do you see a fight playing out with him?

LP: I believe it's going to be a good fight. I don't think that it couldn't be a good fight. You have two young guys at the top of the division; it only makes sense for us to fight. It would be an entertaining fight, but I just think overall, my experience and overall skill would be the key to victory for me.

PC: You coming off of one of your longer layoffs, was that a good thing for you to get your mind right as well as physically recover from being stopped for the first time?

LP: I would have liked to have fought earlier than that. I was in the gym. I was taking a break from fighting, but I was still in the gym grinding and training hard like I always do. I was probably ready to fight in September, but I had a little nagging hand injury and we just wanted to make sure everything was cool with that before I fought. That was pretty much the reason for the long layoff; plus when I found out I was fighting Jean, we ended up negotiating that and that took a long time. 8 months is not bad, but I would like to fight every 5 months.

PC: I know you are a big football fan. What did you think of the Super Bowl?

LP: I was kind of hating on Denver, so I was happy that they lost. You know my team is the Chiefs and they beat us twice this year. That's a division rivalry, so I was happy with the outcome of the game. I was expecting to see a good game though, but overall, I was happy.

PC: You also follow the NBA closely and I'm sure you will make the smooth transition into following more closely with football being over with. Who is your team in the NBA?

LP: Yeah, I'm a Spurs fan, man; my team playing now. I'm trying to get this dinner together and then I'ma go sit back and watch the second half of that.

PC: I'm gonna let you get to your dinner and game my man. I appreciate the time as always and I look forward to your next fight. Is there anything else you want to add?

LP: I just want to thank my fans for keeping faith in me. As soon as I know when I'm fighting again, I'm gonna let everyone know and hopefully it will be here in DC again.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
So you're saying you have no problem with a fighter ducking another fighter because you place more emphasis on the money than the sport. What you are also saying is that the best aren't fighting the best and you're fine with it.

That is all you had to say.

Czar, how can Lara be unknown when he is in the p4p rankings for the division and contender for a belt? What name does he have to make for himself when he is being ducked?

Czar, should the commitee strip Floyd of his belt if he doesn't fight his mandatory?
Hahahaa dude u are to much. It doesnt matter what I think, whats gonna happen is gonna happen anyway so lets just enjoy it. Im tired of going over the same shit and beating a dead horse. It is what it is. I will watch whoever Floyd decides to fight and enjoy while it last because he wont be around much longer and to me he is the G.O.A.T. Got Em!!

Virgil Hunter feels Andre Ward would beat Mayweather at 147, "I'd put money on that fight"
Like Ward can make 147 lol. Again these dudes need to focus on their own weight class and stop trying to fight little cats that are way smaller lol. Got Em!!

I think no one wants a piece of Thurman right now. I think it's hilarious that Guerrero and Collazo called out Floyd like it was nothing (obviously Guerrero got him) but they bring up Thurman's name and they're both like Red's Dad on Friday

You want some too old man?????

uhhh NO!!!!!!!!!!
Yea but like I said earlier everyone wants to fight Floyd because of the pay day. Thurman is a high risk low reward fight for those guys so of course they wont call him out. All these guys know they camt beat Floyd but they will take a loss for big loot lol. Got Em!!

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Why is it okay for Broner to fight someone way smaller to you then? He fought someone his size and got murked
When did Broner fight someone way smaller????? Broner fought dudes in his own weight class this whole time and then moved up to 147 like a G and even jumped a weight class. U trippin. Got Em!!

May 5, 2002
Didn't Broner lose a belt on the scale, tho? I've always said Rios and Broner fight dudes smaller and now they move up and can't do shit.
Rios is a 1 trick pony. I wouldn't count Broner out so fast. Broner can box, Rios just leans on his opponent, gets leverage, and wings it. He couldn't win a fight in open space if his life depended on it

Props: CZAR and CZAR

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
When did Broner fight someone way smaller????? Broner fought dudes in his own weight class this whole time and then moved up to 147 like a G and even jumped a weight class. U trippin. Got Em!!
Gavin Rees was way smaller than Broner for one. Broner was able to make weight, fine. But when people talk about GGG or Martinez moving down to fight Floyd at 154 all we get is excuses. "They are too big, why don't they move up to fight someone else?" Yet it's okay for Broner to fight at 135, or fight at 135 and blatantly miss the weight altogether which is even worse.

trips

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2006
The UK fans are the most loyal boxing fans

by Kevin Davis

I have to admit something to the world, the boxing fans of the United Kingdom are truly the most loyal fans of all. Here in the USA, we have become decadence, and self loathing to the point that we jump from fighter to fighter and try them like scum after just rooting for them just months earlier. The UK fans are sticking with their fighters no matter if they get knocked through the ropes or get dropped in the first round, they believe.

It amazes me to no end, to see how with all the evidence in favor of Amir Khan getting destroyed by Floyd Mayweather, they still show incredible support and resilience. Mayweather would beat Khan on paper, but for some reason the fans over there believe this would be a contest due to his speed. Danny Garcia knocked Khan silly and dropped him three times and I believe Mayweather is faster than Garcia, so why would speed be his advantage? Well I don't know what they see in him, but the UK fans are loyal. Supporting Khan is proof of that.