Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
Will update after each round.

Round 1: Hopkins outworks Pavlik, with cleaner shots more activity. Obviously a 'feeling out' round for both fighters, but Hopkins steals it with more action.

Round 2: Hopkins had this round after the first half, with a solid left hook and 2 different two punches combos. Then a good uppercut wobbles Pavlik, and Hopkins gets to work. No haymakers, just methodical punches, including good shots to the body. That's the experience and knowledge of the old fighter. Hopkins wins this easily.

Round 3: Pavlik more active, including a solid straight left that connects with Hopkins, but doesn't do any damage. Hopkins outworks him, lands more shots, and shows great defensive skills (big surprise). Hopkins wins another round.

Round 4: Pavlik with a better round, but not landing anything significant, and nothing in bunches. Hopkins landing almost at will, and being within striking distance only when he wants to. He gets off first and often, then moves away and ducks/blocks punches.

Round 5: Hopkins wins the first 2 minutes of the round, with good combinations, including a great right hook to the head. Pavlik gets in a couple of punches in the last minute, but not enough to steal the round.

Round 6: If you're looking to give Kelly a round, here it was...although I would still give it to Hopkins, with some great shots, mostly rights, and solid defense. Pavlik throwing more punches, and looking to come on.

Round 7: Hopkins looking 20 years younger than his 43 years in the last minute of this round. Knocking Kelly's head around like a speed bag. Easy round to score after a close first half.

Round 8: Pavlik loses a point for hitting on the back of the head; he received his ''last warning'' I believe in the 5th round. Hopkins was already winning the round, and this is just a slap in the face. Pavlik is making Hopkins look like an angel during the clinches.

Round 9: Hopkins loses a point for ''holding'', which was pathetic, but I scored the round 9-9, with Hopkins winning the round, but losing the point. Great make up call, ref.

Round 10: Closer round to score, but Hopkins outworking Pavlik slightly, with 2 left hooks to the body and a few straight rights to the head.

Round 11: Hopkins landing multiple shots to the head, while leaning in on Pavlik and smothering him, thus getting no punishment in return. Kelly looks like a sparring partner who's been paid to get hit.

Round 12: Easy, easy, EASY round to score for Hopkins...to go with an EASY fight and win for Hopkins. Never hurt, never hit hard, never pressured. End of the fight ends in a slight scuffle, with Hopkins angry and Pavlik looking bewildered and ashamed, and his corner calling Hopkins ''unclassy"...

Hopkins approaches Pavlik after the scores are read, and tells him to ''rule the middleweight like I did", giving him his ''respect'', and threatening to find Pavlik with a baseball bat if he doesn't learn from this and improve to be the fighter he can be.

Thanks, B-Hop, for a great performance, and showing us why we love boxing, and why we love and respect you as a boxer. I'll gladly eat crow, because I never would have imagined an outcome like this. Pavlik was utterly outclassed by a GREAT boxer.

Jan 18, 2006
Im predicting Hopkins to pick him apart badly and maybe not by a knockdown but the fight will be stopped cuz Pavlik wont be able to continue
Alright i didnt get the knockdown part right but everything else was so on point. Im loving it, hopkins is a legend

Dec 9, 2005
Why do they keep questioning Kelly's decision to take this fight ?

It was the biggest fight of his career, and the benefit of beating a legend like Hop far outweighed the risk of losing to a sure shot hall of famer, 10 pounds of his normal weight class. No shame in that loss, IMO.

Jan 18, 2006
AINT NOBODY FUCKING WITH HOPKINS NOW I HOPE JONES WINS THAT FIGHT SO WE CAN FINALY SE THE REMATCH OF JONES VS HOPKINS...
That would be great to see them end there careers off against eachother, 2 of the most unfuckwitable boxers of alltime. they both lost fights when they were much older but there skill level just shows when they can still beat much younger fighers

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
Why do they keep questioning Kelly's decision to take this fight ?

It was the biggest fight of his career, and the benefit of beating a legend like Hop far outweighed the risk of losing to a sure shot hall of famer, 10 pounds of his normal weight class. No shame in that loss, IMO.
Truth.

If Hopkins was going to win this fight, it would be by an ugly decision. Most likely, Kelly would outwork the old man, and a gassed Hopkins would fade down the stretch for an easy win for Pavlik.

At least...that's what most thought.

< I did.

May 6, 2002
And everyone was knockin me a couple months ago for saying Pavlik wasn't that good and hasn't been tested. Not trying to stir up old shit, but Calzaghe was right. This fight wasn't even close. Not matter how you chop it up (dirty tactics, holding, pot shots, etc) he got schooled. I'm pissed off as a Pavlik fan, but at the same time I'm not shocked on the outcome.

Jan 10, 2008
Pavlik needs to stay at middleweight he looked slow and sluggish the whole night. I didnt like Pavlik attitude for this fight and his trainer guaranteed knockout shows how in experienced he is but dude will be back and probably better after this schoolin by Hopkins.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
Well at least I got the part about Hopkins not knocking him down right haha. Even if the weight did affect Pavlik .. what a dope performance by Hopkins. 43 year olds shouldn't be able to fight like this .. amazing.

Dec 18, 2002
And everyone was knockin me a couple months ago for saying Pavlik wasn't that good and hasn't been tested. Not trying to stir up old shit, but Calzaghe was right. This fight wasn't even close. Not matter how you chop it up (dirty tactics, holding, pot shots, etc) he got schooled. I'm pissed off as a Pavlik fan, but at the same time I'm not shocked on the outcome.
Pavlik is very good at what he does but just like Manny Stewart was saying, Pavlik never faced a technical boxer. I still think he beats Calzaghe though.

May 6, 2002
I didnt like either of their attitudes. Pavlik and his people bieng way too over confident about it, even in the Countdown show. Hopkins talking about "4 and a half years in the Pen" in Pavs face at the weigh in. What is that supposed to be intimidating? Then giving pointers to Pav after the fight literally saying he can be a "black fighter" if he just does certain things differently.