Why Macklemore & Ryan Lewis deserved those Grammy Awards

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 25, 2003
SUNSHINE CITY,CA
At the end of the day, it's a business and in any arena of commerce, there will be competition and there will always be a fight for market share. Just because Coke and Pepsi are fighting for a share of the same market, it doesn't mean that they aren't both advancing the market for soda.

What will help hip hop is quality music being made consistently. While the arguments here have mostly nothing to do with that, the artist raised a point that has people talking, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's broadening the subject matter of Hip Hop.
IM KINDA NEUTRAL ON THE SUBJECT....BUT IMMA KEEP IT ALL THE WAY 100. THE MUSIC I'VE HEARD FROM MAC IS NOT NECESSARILY WHAT I WOULD CALL HIP HOP.....HIP-POP MAYBE.....AND IT HAS NOTHING 2 DO WITH RACE OR SEXUAL PREFERENCE. HIP HOP IS EPMD, ERIC B. AND RAKIM, BOOGIE DOWN PRODUCTIONS,ETC....IF WE GONE GET TECHNICAL....AT LEAST LETS TALK THE TRUTH. IJS

Nov 24, 2003
I'm with you. Fuck all them. My parents are Chinese but they let me watch Full House every day after school and now I'm white.

Interesting because the birth of rap did spawn an entire generation of white folks who admittedly "wanted to be black"....

The nature / nurture debate is far from as black and white as both sides are making it appear in this discussion.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
IM KINDA NEUTRAL ON THE SUBJECT....BUT IMMA KEEP IT ALL THE WAY 100. THE MUSIC I'VE HEARD FROM MAC IS NOT NECESSARILY WHAT I WOULD CALL HIP HOP.....HIP-POP MAYBE.....AND IT HAS NOTHING 2 DO WITH RACE OR SEXUAL PREFERENCE. HIP HOP IS EPMD, ERIC B. AND RAKIM, BOOGIE DOWN PRODUCTIONS,ETC....IF WE GONE GET TECHNICAL....AT LEAST LETS TALK THE TRUTH. IJS
lol I don't think it's really hip hop either but they sell it in the hip hop section of the store. But just about every Grammy winning artist is basically hip pop by the time they win a Grammy.

Nov 6, 2005
So is Hip-Hop then exactly the same for everyone? I get where you're headed Tay but HIP-HOP is a lifestyle thats different to different people for a thousand reasons. (Geographical, Culture (B-Boy shit, freestyle game, street shit etc. etc.) not to mention the evolution of each sub-genre over the decades that HIP-HOP has existed in some form or another. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with ya, just elaborating but I def. feel HIP-HOP is wider than socially conscious rappers on one end and the street shit on the other. Maybe RAPPING can be jammed down to that definition but not Hip-Hop

S.SAVAGE

SICCNESS MOTHERFUCKER
Oct 25, 2011
EAST SAN JOSE
http://music.yahoo.com/news/drake-c...-apology-text-39-180018335-rolling-stone.html

After Macklemore and Ryan Lewis won Best New Artist and three trophies in the rap category at last month's Grammy Awards, the duo's mouthpiece tried to prove that he thought another nominee should have walked off with some golden hardware: "You got robbed," Macklemore texted Kendrick Lamar. "I wanted you to win."

The private message — which Macklemore made very public by posting it on Instagram — didn't strike everyone as generous. And in the new issue of Rolling Stone (on stands Friday), Drake makes it very clear he thought the message was unnecessary. To put it bluntly, he thought "that sh*t was wack as f**k."

"I was like, 'You won. Why are you posting your text message? Just chill. Take your W, and if you feel you didn't deserve it, go get better — make better music,'" he tells us. "It felt cheap. It didn't feel genuine. Why do that? Why feel guilt? You think those guys would pay homage to you if they won?"

Drake notes that Grammy wins don't always go to the artist who made the best album. "This is how the world works: He made a brand of music that appealed to more people than me, Hov, Kanye and Kendrick. Whether people wanna say it's racial, or whether it's just the fact that he tapped into something we can't tap into. That's just how the cards fall. Own your sh*t."

And in the end, if Macklemore was going to start doling out apologies, he should have reached out to more nominees, Drake says. "To name just Kendrick? That sh*t made me feel funny. No, in that case, you robbed everybody. We all need text messages!"