Why Macklemore & Ryan Lewis deserved those Grammy Awards

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
IMO....Macklemore deserved those Grammy Awards for several reasons.

When it comes to numbers, Macklemore's album has sold better than Kendrick's. Even though Kendrick had all of these legendary, high powered producers AND a major record label behind him, Macklemore's album still sold better. His singles alone killed Kendrick's album and singles. We won't even get into the worldwide numbers, just the U.S. numbers.

Thrift Shop - 7x platinum (6th best selling digital download of ALL TIME)
Can't Hold Us - 4x platinum
Same Love - 2x platinum
White Walls 1x platinum

Now, you can say you don't like Macklemore's subject matter or his rap skills, but that's just your OPINION. It's OK to have an opinion, even if it is in the minority. Personally, I think many rappers are trash with their unoriginal Cat in the Hat rhymes and no bars. I'm a fan of originality. I'm not really a big fan of Kendrick and his album was not groundbreaking to me. It was slightly above average IMO. He isn't talking about anything we haven't heard a million times though. Ryan Lewis' production is out of the ordinary and his beats incorporate a lot of live instrumentation, something that is making a comeback in the music industry. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis made a different sounding album and it appealed to FANS.

M&RL have also broken a bunch of industry records....INDEPENDENTLY. Some no name underdogs came out of left field and just turned the music industry upside down. So, can't nobody tell my guys shit.

I won't go all into the socially conscious elements of "Same Love" and how I fully support equality, but you have to admit it takes some balls to make a statement like that. Hats off to M&RL. To take a gamble like that with your career takes guts. But again, you see the result of it and the masses agree with him. Of course, you super manly, gay hating dudes don't agree, but that's fine. Again, your opinion is in the minority.

What really kills me is the "fuck that whiteboy" comments. Without turning this into a race issue.... you do realize that white people are the majority of people who BUY music and put money into the pockets of black artists, right? So, if white Hip-Hop fans have the buying power to make or break an artist, why are you shocked that they buy a white rapper more? Everyone else is illegally downloading and STEALING from the artists they're supposedly a fan of, which helps nobody. They also pay to go to shows and buy merchandise. And you don't have to worry about getting shot at a Macklemore show.

Lastly, the people who BUY music want to hear shit they can relate to. Or cuz it's catchy. Or positive and uplifting. If you're just talking about guns, drugs, bitches and poppin' bottles all day long, that's cool, but there's a million other rappers all talking about the same shit over the same beats and it has limited appeal. Most people can't relate to it. And that's what music is all about at the end of the day, relating to people. Connecting with them. M&RL connect more than Kendrick does. Sorry (not sorry).

M&RL never expected any of this to happen. I can't say if Macklemore genuinely thinks Kendrick deserved that Grammy or not, but he ain't no dummy and he knew there was going to be an outcry from the core Hip-Hop community, most of which are black. It's not his fault FANS preferred his album. The funny thing is that Macklemore & Kendrick are personal friends. While people are getting hot & heated arguing about this shit, neither one of them is trippin' cuz they both know what it is and how the game works.

Let my guys have their Grammy's. They've been busting their ass for 4yrs straight and EARNED them. :siccness:

Aug 20, 2006
FLA
I think it's fucked up how much people are mad at Macklemore. He did all this shit as an indie artist. Rappers all love to bitch and cry about how they're slaves to the labels and don't get paid then somebody comes around and sells millions of albums on their own and there's nothing but hate. I don't understand why anyone thought Kendrick would win in the first place. It would be like getting mad that Twilight won an award over Her. His music is easily accessable, somewhat family friendly and bridges a few different genres. Macklemore was hugely popular while Swimming Pools and Poetic justic were really popular for a while and none of his other singles reached that level.

Ne Obliviscaris

RIP Cut-Throat and SoCo
Dec 30, 2004
u takin about POP Macklemore is POP not Hip Hop or RAP its POP, look what im sayin >>>POP...but u still dont understand it...smh..
I dunno how old you are, but back in the day there used to be a shitload of 'pop' hip-hop artists, before gangsta rap got big. So saying that macklemore makes pop music doesnt mean its not hip hop. I'm not a big fan of his stuff but I got a lot of respect for him, mainly because of the social consciousness stuff. Same Love is an important song, whether or not you like it. And I support anyone that wants to start talking about equality in a musical form that generally only derides it.

Jun 24, 2003
IMO....Macklemore deserved those Grammy Awards for several reasons.

When it comes to numbers, Macklemore's album has sold better than Kendrick's. Even though Kendrick had all of these legendary, high powered producers AND a major record label behind him, Macklemore's album still sold better. His singles alone killed Kendrick's album and singles. We won't even get into the worldwide numbers, just the U.S. numbers.

Thrift Shop - 7x platinum (6th best selling digital download of ALL TIME)
Can't Hold Us - 4x platinum
Same Love - 2x platinum
White Walls 1x platinum

Now, you can say you don't like Macklemore's subject matter or his rap skills, but that's just your OPINION. It's OK to have an opinion, even if it is in the minority. Personally, I think many rappers are trash with their unoriginal Cat in the Hat rhymes and no bars. I'm a fan of originality. I'm not really a big fan of Kendrick and his album was not groundbreaking to me. It was slightly above average IMO. He isn't talking about anything we haven't heard a million times though. Ryan Lewis' production is out of the ordinary and his beats incorporate a lot of live instrumentation, something that is making a comeback in the music industry. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis made a different sounding album and it appealed to FANS.

M&RL have also broken a bunch of industry records....INDEPENDENTLY. Some no name underdogs came out of left field and just turned the music industry upside down. So, can't nobody tell my guys shit.

I won't go all into the socially conscious elements of "Same Love" and how I fully support equality, but you have to admit it takes some balls to make a statement like that. Hats off to M&RL. To take a gamble like that with your career takes guts. But again, you see the result of it and the masses agree with him. Of course, you super manly, gay hating dudes don't agree, but that's fine. Again, your opinion is in the minority.

What really kills me is the "fuck that whiteboy" comments. Without turning this into a race issue.... you do realize that white people are the majority of people who BUY music and put money into the pockets of black artists, right? So, if white Hip-Hop fans have the buying power to make or break an artist, why are you shocked that they buy a white rapper more? Everyone else is illegally downloading and STEALING from the artists they're supposedly a fan of, which helps nobody. They also pay to go to shows and buy merchandise. And you don't have to worry about getting shot at a Macklemore show.

Lastly, the people who BUY music want to hear shit they can relate to. Or cuz it's catchy. Or positive and uplifting. If you're just talking about guns, drugs, bitches and poppin' bottles all day long, that's cool, but there's a million other rappers all talking about the same shit over the same beats and it has limited appeal. Most people can't relate to it. And that's what music is all about at the end of the day, relating to people. Connecting with them. M&RL connect more than Kendrick does. Sorry (not sorry).

M&RL never expected any of this to happen. I can't say if Macklemore genuinely thinks Kendrick deserved that Grammy or not, but he ain't no dummy and he knew there was going to be an outcry from the core Hip-Hop community, most of which are black. It's not his fault FANS preferred his album. The funny thing is that Macklemore & Kendrick are personal friends. While people are getting hot & heated arguing about this shit, neither one of them is trippin' cuz they both know what it is and how the game works.

Let my guys have their Grammy's. They've been busting their ass for 4yrs straight and EARNED them. :siccness:
YOU made it a racial issue by saying "Without turning this into a race issue.... you do realize that white people are the majority of people who BUY music and put money into the pockets of black artists, right" blah blah blah

that whole paragraph was trying to put "white people" on a pedestal because they contribute to the artist's pockets? like other races dont listen to buy, listen, or have an opinion, and if they do, it doesnt count cause they're the 'minority'..

that has to be one of the more ignorant/racist posts on here.

"Of course, you super manly, gay hating dudes don't agree, but that's fine. Again, your opinion is in the minority."

i dont think you have to be super manly to think taking a dick in the ass is wrong. ....so you think kids that listen to this gay shit, is OK? all these homo ass influences are fucking children up. thinking guys are supposed to be with guys, but you think its OK? vaginas are for penises my friend. not for another mans asshole

you keep talking like YOU are the majority and everybody else is the minority. you should really only speak for yourself. cuz prolly 70% or more of the siccness thinks maclamore's music is garbage. and that's the MAJORITY HERE

When I was in 3rd grade
I thought that I was gay
Cause I could draw, my uncle was
And I kept my room straight -MACLAMORE

HAhAH. that's pretty fucking gay to me. and the "FANS" dont determine who wins the gammys, the board members do bud.

"In both voting rounds, Academy members are required to vote based upon quality alone, and not to be influenced by sales, chart performance, personal friendships, regional preferences or company loyalty. The acceptance of gifts is prohibited. Members are urged to vote in a manner that preserves the integrity of the academy."

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
Hip hop was around long before the 90's, boss. But if you wanna play that game, Hammer, Queen Latifa, Mellow Man Ace, Young MC, Fresh Prince, Biz Markie... I can go on if you want me to.
kid & play
salt n pepa
tag team
95 south
tone loc
skeelo

S.L.A.B

Hiphop-TV
Mar 26, 2006
hiphop-tv.blogspot.nl
YOU made it a racial issue by saying "Without turning this into a race issue.... you do realize that white people are the majority of people who BUY music and put money into the pockets of black artists, right" blah blah blah

that whole paragraph was trying to put "white people" on a pedestal because they contribute to the artist's pockets? like other races dont listen to buy, listen, or have an opinion, and if they do, it doesnt count cause they're the 'minority'..

that has to be one of the more ignorant/racist posts on here.

"Of course, you super manly, gay hating dudes don't agree, but that's fine. Again, your opinion is in the minority."

i dont think you have to be super manly to think taking a dick in the ass is wrong. ....so you think kids that listen to this gay shit, is OK? all these homo ass influences are fucking children up. thinking guys are supposed to be with guys, but you think its OK? vaginas are for penises my friend. not for another mans asshole

you keep talking like YOU are the majority and everybody else is the minority. you should really only speak for yourself. cuz prolly 70% or more of the siccness thinks maclamore's music is garbage. and that's the MAJORITY HERE

When I was in 3rd grade
I thought that I was gay
Cause I could draw, my uncle was
And I kept my room straight -MACLAMORE

HAhAH. that's pretty fucking gay to me. and the "FANS" dont determine who wins the gammys, the board members do bud.

"In both voting rounds, Academy members are required to vote based upon quality alone, and not to be influenced by sales, chart performance, personal friendships, regional preferences or company loyalty. The acceptance of gifts is prohibited. Members are urged to vote in a manner that preserves the integrity of the academy."
People are born gay. It's not like some "influence" can turn them into it.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
The description of the voters of the Grammy's was the perfect description of why they won all these awards. They were the most visible "rap" artists this year. I haven't heard anything in terms of quality out of these guys that deserves any award. Them making a killing independently doesn't mean a damn thing as far as quality. I think Kendrick's latest work sucks too. I don't know what the answer is, but there HAS to be a better rap album than this one made this year, if not, rap is in serious trouble.

And I don't think it took any guts to make a "gay" song. America is primed for that song right now and there's a grip of gay people out there that are normally clowned in rap music and the culture. If anything, it felt like more of a sellout move to me. But beyond that, it was dull and boring and wasn't good lyrically at all.

Ne Obliviscaris

RIP Cut-Throat and SoCo
Dec 30, 2004
Don't start that argument here, it's about music and you're gonna f off this entire thread lol
It isnt an argument, its a fact

you can't prove it and you guys will be arguing for days lol that was my point.
Its been well researched and proven, breh. Its like evolution or gravity, there are some people that choose not to believe it, but their ignorance doesnt mean its not a fact.