Why is rap 10 years ago better than today

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 6, 2008
San Jose, Ca
JUST 2 SAY TURF POLITICS WAS RELEASED IN 04/ TAKING NO SHORTZ 2 WAS 03........SINCE IT WAS MENTIONED ABOUT 02 I HAVE A FEW MORE 2 NAME.....LUNI COLEONE/LUNI COLEONE.COM/COS DA CRIMINAL 2 DISC CLASSIC AGREE 2 DISAGREE THAT SHIT IS HARD/1 OF MY FAV. ALBUMS DEM FRISCO BOYZ/ AIN'T NO PUNKZ/ JT PRESENTS/NEIGHBORHOOD SUPA STAR 1ST TIME I EVER HERD THE GAME. & YOUNG DROOP/LETHAL WEAPONZ!

Jan 22, 2007
JUST 2 SAY TURF POLITICS WAS RELEASED IN 04/ TAKING NO SHORTZ 2 WAS 03........SINCE IT WAS MENTIONED ABOUT 02 I HAVE A FEW MORE 2 NAME.....LUNI COLEONE/LUNI COLEONE.COM/COS DA CRIMINAL 2 DISC CLASSIC AGREE 2 DISAGREE THAT SHIT IS HARD/1 OF MY FAV. ALBUMS DEM FRISCO BOYZ/ AIN'T NO PUNKZ/ JT PRESENTS/NEIGHBORHOOD SUPA STAR 1ST TIME I EVER HERD THE GAME. & YOUNG DROOP/LETHAL WEAPONZ!
Thanks for adding to the list but Turf Politics was released April 16th 2002...takin no shortz 2 was released in early 03 but at the top of the list youll see i put 02/03. I cant believe i left that lunicoleone.com out.That shit slaps hard!!

Jun 6, 2008
San Jose, Ca
ON THAT TURF POLITICS DIDN'T BUY IT MYSELF NOT SURE BUT GOT A COPY FROM A FRIEND IT SAYS 04 BUT I DON'T NO MAYBE A LATER COPY.....SHIT HOW CAN I 4GET ABOUT 02 I LOST ALL MY ORIGINAL CDS. NAME A RAPPER FROM SAC 2 DA BAY I HAD EVERY1S SOLOS COMPS WHATEVER OR ELSE I WOULD HAVE NAMED MORE!.....I THINK JT DROPPED HUSTLE RELENTLESS IN 02.

Apr 13, 2008
not really true. female rappers were lil kim copies, male rappers were jay-z copies and everybody jacked timbaland or neptunes sound and after just blaze, kanye and heatmakerz started to be hot, everybody jacked hi pitched soul sample sound

and if you think mainstream rappers right now, they really have more originality than rappers 10 years ago, like it or not. there was no drakes or cudis back then
Even in the early 2000s you had plenty of styles and regions doing their own things and sounding different. Many have copied what they thought was 'hot' musically through out the history of rap, take for example everyone trying to sound like Run DMC in the late 80s and jacking people's drum samples (producers were always jacking old musicians for their beats anyway lol).

I think based on the new music I've heard, there's too many copy cats. There's a lot of new artists who are original in ways but in the wrong ways, and ironically enough people even copy the people who are just trying to act weird. I guess you can call Nicki Minaj original, but I don't feel her act at all.

Dec 14, 2011
Very simple, sir.. rap music is more corporatized now than it ever was and originality is going down the drain.. underground rappers and producers(mainly street/gangsta rap artist) these days tend to follow whatever sound and/or style is hot at the moment.. That's exactly why so many rappers whether they're from CA or NY now have so many copycat Wayne/Jeezy/Gucci Mane/Waka Flocka sounding rappers and Lex Luger/Drumma Boy/Hit Boy, etc sounding producers/beats right now...

Regional sounds are starting to die out and now rap is becoming a mesh of influences that have been around forever..