Why is rap 10 years ago better than today

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
lol i remember one of them being in that champagne song that chris rock put out a long time ago... he wasn't so fat in that video

::
LOL THAT WAS THE SKINNIEST ONE OUT OF ALL OF THEM...

THE OTHER FAT BOYS DIED OF HEART ATTACKS OR DIABETES OR SOME SHIT...

THEM DUDES WERE SOME OF THE FIRST RAPPERS TO KEEP IT REAL...LOL

Jul 14, 2008
Why is rap 10 years ago better than today
there has always been good music/artist and bad music/artist of every era/decade.....BUT i know the difference between the music from 10 years ago is.... the kids/fiends that Wasn't there 10 years ago riding to it will kill they own momma for a tape/cd/or mp3 rip of the music from 10 years ago lol !!

Feb 4, 2006
Once you start saying "Well back in my day music was real & meant something" you damn near finna hit middle aged crisis. Real shit bro. Music always evolves and the people who don't realize it complain. I play Kurtis Blow, LL Cool J, 2pac, Jay-Z, Mac Dre, & V-Nasty mother fucker.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
10 years ago was 2002. In 2002 people were lamenting the sorry state of hip-hop at the time. And for a reason, because it was really bad - people were on some hypercorny thug ballad shit that year. Music in the bay still retained some of the mob flavour of the 90s but it was well on its way to ruin too, the short-lived revival a few years later due to the hyphy movement notwithstanding.

So it is very strange to see this thread - 15 years ago music was still mostly good, it would make sense to talk about that period. But in 2002 the average rap album was trash. It is not better now but it is not much worse either - in the Bay it is much worse, but overall, it is not.

dalycity650

Barlito's Way
Feb 8, 2006
Imo seems like a lot of bay beats are repetitive nowadays, I honestly see no more creativity coming out of these new or original beat makers. I still love the original bay sound but almost every new album I listen too lacks that kinda sound and style in some way, maybe my taste for music has also changed over the years but that boom boom clap style of beats aren't really doing it for me no more same goes for those dirty south sounds. Seems like foos got lazy on the way they sample beats too haha

S.L.A.B

Hiphop-TV
Mar 26, 2006
hiphop-tv.blogspot.nl
Because Rap/Hip Hop went commercial long time ago, the main record labels only support artist that helping/supporting the stereotype image that most people got of a rapper with lots of bling, halkf-naked woman and imaginary violence, criminal behaviour and just being senseless they dont want to look for talent anymore so they seek puppets wich they can control and there are enough rappers out now desperate to do anything for money and fame just look at Lil B and I am not hating but it's sad for rappers who do take the art form serious and put their heart into it.

Revolutionary/rebel stuff with song like "fuck the police" and subjects that rappers like Pac touched or rappers with their on mind aren't supported or welcome in the "new" mainstream.

If you throw crap at the public for so many years people will adjust to it and finally "eat" it again..

Just a few reasons, plenty more, this is just the mainstream aimed tho, the rap/hip hop in general still has loads of talent, I myself find at minimum at least once a week a good "new" artist that I didnt heard of before.

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
THIS SUBJECT HAS BEEN BEATEN TO DEATH...BUT SO WILL MY ANSWER

OVERSATUARATION...

AND WE ALL KNOW THE INTERNET, HURT IN ALOT OF WAYS.

EVERYBODY THINKS THEY CAN RAP.

AND THE GAME HAS BEEN MAJORLY DUMBED DOWN.

yes

Sicc OG
Feb 9, 2006
First Its A Different Time All Together Different Events Going On And Struggles Then 10 Years Ago....But I Belive Its Mainly Due To Lack Of Substance!!! Shall We Say Emcees Are In The Rap Game Just To Say They Are And Really Shouldnt Be In It All Together. Just Because You Got A Few Dollars In Your Pocket And Can Rhyme Here And Their And Got Some Popularity Doesnt Qualify You To Be A Artist But On The Other Hand Their Are True Artists In The Game That Respect The Talent They Have. Start Off With Influences Thats Big In What Todays Music Is Its Not The Same Influences I Have Because Im A Product Of The 80's And Their Are A Product From 90's or 2000's MAJOR Difference In Character.

Jan 22, 2007
instead of telling me how dumb my statement was, why don't you tell me what was so much better about 2002 that you had to make a thread about it? this is such a played out ass topic that it's ridiculous. next thing you know, people are going to be chiming in with that tired ass "hip hop is dead" bullshit

according to my music collection, i currently have 130 hip hop titles that were released in 2002... and upon reading through them, i don't see ANYTHING that was particularly special... except for maybe common's album and talib kweli's album... care to elaborate?

Yes i would care to elaborate
02/03
Nas god son
KEAK-COPIUM!
Jay-z-blue print
Mac Dre thizzelle washington*not the best mac dre but still respectable
Talib kwali Quality
Blackalicious -blazing arrow
clipse-lord willing* they are mad underrated IMO
x-raided city of kings
t-nutty- last of the flowheikenz
Hollowtip-takin no shortz 2
c-bo-life as a rider
c-bo west side ryders
Yukmouth-godzilla
e40-grit and grind
messy marv-turf politics
too short-married to the game

Dec 14, 2011
Sacramento
it not just bay rap. its not just music. its all kinds of stuff music to movies . theres no originality anymore. n this generation just eats it all up like its the greatest thing. rap now a days is a joke . i could go on n on but most of yall already kno whatsup

28g w/o the bag

politically incorrect
Jan 18, 2003
metro's jurisdiction
siccness.net
sorry pal, but i've heard all of those albums... and most of them are not anything special and/or decent at best, and definitely doesn't warrant the response of "omg omggg that's the dumbest statement i've heard in awhile"... lol you were saying that shit like i said that nothing happened in 1994 or something.

here, let me come up with a brief list of albums that came out in 2010 and 2011 that are similar in quality to what you posted:
big june "the movie"
big krit "krit wuz here"
black mikey "smash blackula smash"
dom kennedy "future street/drug sounds"
onra "chinoiseries pt. 2"
joe blow "you should be paying me"
dom kennedy "from the westside with love"
cellski "big mafi the don"
common "dreamer / believer"
dj quik "the book of david"
j.stalin "prenuptual agreement"
PRG'z "hood headlinaz vol. 2"
e-40 17 different albums or some shit
slum village "villa manifesto"
the slauson boys "there goes the nayborhood"
asap rocky "long live asap"

and i KNOW i'm missing shit.

and the album closest to classic status on that list you posted is jay-z's album, and that came out in 2001.