Why is bay area rap so weak these days?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Few reasons in my opinion:
-Artists in the hot generations stayed independent too long (San Quinn)

-Junior artists went solo instead of staying in groups until they were solid enough to carry their own sales (Fully Loaded, The Pack)

-Dudes went out of or argainst their sounds and neighborhoods and it didn't go well (Ya Boy moving out to LA and ATL and changing his style, Mess becoming a blood)

I think personally a lot of the Bay sound has been borrowed or Bay Artists blend their music into the Southern Sound, a lot of the younger generation of Bay listeners aren't even familiar with some of the older artists so there's been a knowledge gap between the Bay sound today and the sound from previous generations.

TaTa

Sicc OG
May 22, 2006
The world used to be a mystery, but now, everything is copy and paste.

Brainwashing Radio Stations
Brainwashing Tv Channels
Personal computer music.

I tried to share my Bay Area Music with these younger kids, but they don't feel it.

I get insulted and Mad. They put on their Drake, and I get even madder. LOL

That is one of the reasons I come to this site. To see what other who like what i like are listening too.

We grew up during different times. REAL RECOGNIZE REAL..........

Mar 28, 2010
Bay music could be a lot worst, Bro. We really ain't doing that bad. Some of these young n*ggas is still mobbin'. Let's just be honest. Everything else we put out/created got stolen and credited to another region. Mob music is the only thing that is still exclusively ours. Once this Mob sh*t dies, then we can talk about how bad things are. until the, we're good.

Nov 12, 2011
Bay rap has been very disappointing since the Hyphy curse..That's when a bunch a non-rapping ass niggas thought it was cool to pick up the mic and sound like the next nigga. The best music in the game used to come from the Bay in the 90s and early 2000s. Now these young niggas is on Chicago and Atlanta dick (both them places making way better music than the Bay), instead of being original like the Bay is supposed to be. We been out our element for a while. These old niggas is washed. We use slang from other regions, when other regions use to steal our shit. The niggas that's holding the torch for the Bay right now is soft and garbage as fuck. Bay rap is dead and its gone stay dead. The worst region in rap right now. A straight joke. I been frustrated with this shit for a min.

Jan 21, 2011
its about the ego. A lot of Bay rappers (and people in general) dont like to be criticized or told what to do. These dudes have no idea how to conduct business on a professional level, properly promote and release an album, or how to respond and adapt if something isnt working for them.

They dont help themselves either.

i went to one of the mobwire signings (and i love the mob music) and spent my last 30 bucks there. i got a hat $20 and the new album $10. at the table, lil blood was trying to sell me an album for ten.... i had no money left and said thst but asked him to sign the mobwire album. he flat out refused and said he would only sign his albums. i literally laughed at him and reminded him that his picture was on the front fucking cover of the album i was asking him to sign. he still wouldnt do it. lol. i have bought 3 blood albums in my life and will NEVER buy one again. my homies wont either. THIS is just an example of the type of shit that holds the bay back.

long story short.... we kill ourselves with our own sword in one way or another.

Jul 16, 2015
It fell off mostly because bay rappers always tryna be like "yadabooboo its yay area playalistical maccn n grapes in my bleezy in da 41510 shaboobalaboopy?!?" And niggaz outside of the bay dont have a clue what a shaboobalaboopy is... Aint nobody from atlanta or ny or even socal gonna wanna listen to a bunch of shit they dont know..

It can be a good idea to use that new type of slang on songs, but the artist has to explain it, without defining it..like paint a picture fr the listener.. And the bay used to b great at doin that but now its like "ima just say whatever i waant n if dey dont understand me den dey sum squares or sumn."

Jan 21, 2011
It can be a good idea to use that new type of slang on songs, but the artist has to explain it, without defining it..like paint a picture fr the listener.. And the bay used to b great at doin that but now its like "ima just say whatever i waant n if dey dont understand me den dey sum squares or sumn."
that kinda goes along with how they dont know what to do with criticism. it is what it is.... the ones who see the bigger picture will see success and the ones who dont will always be bitter lol

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
its about the ego. A lot of Bay rappers (and people in general) dont like to be criticized or told what to do. These dudes have no idea how to conduct business on a professional level, properly promote and release an album, or how to respond and adapt if something isnt working for them.

They dont help themselves either.

i went to one of the mobwire signings (and i love the mob music) and spent my last 30 bucks there. i got a hat $20 and the new album $10. at the table, lil blood was trying to sell me an album for ten.... i had no money left and said thst but asked him to sign the mobwire album. he flat out refused and said he would only sign his albums. i literally laughed at him and reminded him that his picture was on the front fucking cover of the album i was asking him to sign. he still wouldnt do it. lol. i have bought 3 blood albums in my life and will NEVER buy one again. my homies wont either. THIS is just an example of the type of shit that holds the bay back.

long story short.... we kill ourselves with our own sword in one way or another.
There is so much wrong with this that I don't even know where to begin. Someone spends their last amount of disposal income with you and the experience you want to leave them with is one of rejection and no?

Jan 21, 2011
There is so much wrong with this that I don't even know where to begin. Someone spends their last amount of disposal income with you and the experience you want to leave them with is one of rejection and no?
it was a total WTF moment for me. for a second i thought the dude was kidding.

hand to god that is exactly what happened though. lol.

Nov 12, 2011
IDK IF YALL KNOW BUT SAGE THE GIMINI AND IAMSU DONECWENT PLATINUM, AINT NOBODY DID THAT SINCE SHORT AND 40.
We aint talking about no punk ass Sage the Gemini or Iamsu..We speaking on the real Bay Area rap that's been missing out the scene for years. Them niggas is soft and garbage. And they singles may have went platinum, but they albums didn't come close to that.