Why Doesn't KMEL and KYLD 94.9 Take Over CMC???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 17, 2005
from the article:

Then the Telecommunications Act was passed. FCC chair Reed Hundt defended the legislation by arguing, "We are fostering innovation and competition in radio." But by all accounts, KMEL's innovative years were over. After a dustup between Too $hort and the Luniz at the 1995 Summer Jam, local artists were reportedly pushed off playlists. Mix-show DJs increasingly found their mixes subject to approval by higher-ups. Specialty shows were quietly eliminated. The battle for young urban ears ended with KMEL's purchase of KYLD. Three years later, Clear Channel swallowed them both.

To the listener, consolidation is probably most apparent in what the stations play. Just listen to KMEL's and KYLD's nightly countdowns of the seven "most requested" (their own words) songs. On any given night the stations may share as many as four of their seven "most requested" songs the same 50 Cent, Ashanti and Ja Rule, LL Cool J, and P. Diddy tracks that are playing across the country. The exception, "Closer," by the Bay Area's Goapele, which was added to KMEL's rotation last month, stands out like a diamond for its rarity.

"Programming is more or less centralized," columnist Mann argued. "This is not guesswork. They've got too much money and too many shareholders at stake to leave much to chance." But Martin, who programs KMEL, KYLD, and K101-FM while overseeing the playlists of all of the other Clear Channel stations in northern California, denies this. "There is no centralization of programming at Clear Channel," he said. "There is no such thing as a national type of playlist."

Still, this is small consolation for local artists like E-A-Ski, who, despite producing records for Master P and Ice Cube that have sold millions of copies and holding a national fan base for his own rap records, still finds himself knocking from the outside. After Clear Channel took over, he and other local artists went to KMEL to protest their exclusion. As a result, Davey D got the green light to begin broadcasting the short-lived Local Flavas show. These days E-A-Ski is one of a tiny number of local artists heard on KMEL, but only because he is on a remix of Atlanta rapper Lil' Jon's "Who U Wit." "If you look at the South, they got all their DJs and their radio to support their records. The same system they have, we had," he said. "Everybody else is supporting their music, but KMEL isn't doing it."

Oct 17, 2005
so when kmel had a hand w/ cmc in the early and mid nineties things were a lot better at serving local interests.

but today, it would probably be a bad idea for Clear Channel Corp to get another piece. i think a better long term solution is to give back the airwaves to the people. we paid for that shit through taxes didn't we.

May 5, 2005
Man I remember when Andy Kawinami played all the bay shit. Even stuff from monteray would get air play on CMC. It was crazy. Then that big samoan cat would have a show. Then Trace and Franzen would be on actin a fool in the studio. Sometimes bringing in Crazy Horse strippers to lounge with them hahah. I also remember when the Click hosted the whole show for B legits birthday from his crib. CMC are some sellout suckas just like all the rest of Radio. Fuck the Radio and CMC.

Jul 6, 2002
$o. $an Fran
yea CMC is on some bullshit now but atleast they goin back a little. I don't know if ya'll know but they got all that Kelly Clarkson bull shit for the first half hour then they got the beat lounge for the second half same shit they play on Bet but who knows.

Apr 22, 2005
Doc Truth said:
Man I remember when Andy Kawinami played all the bay shit. Even stuff from monteray would get air play on CMC. It was crazy. Then that big samoan cat would have a show. Then Trace and Franzen would be on actin a fool in the studio. Sometimes bringing in Crazy Horse strippers to lounge with them hahah. I also remember when the Click hosted the whole show for B legits birthday from his crib. CMC are some sellout suckas just like all the rest of Radio. Fuck the Radio and CMC.

yeah I remember all that shit cept I missed the click show and that big cat is Tongan,Lee Boy or somethin but he use to host the night show at 1 sometime along with andy kawanami.It aint really they fault for it bein the way it is now they prolly got the boot cuz Andy was the one who use to run shit.I remember renel and sway used to host,shit I got some of that shit on tape still haha These kids will never know how tight that shit USED to be :(

Apr 22, 2005
naw that half and half shit is a fuckin joke but oh well,all they play is bullshit now and the show is only an hour so at least they only wastin 1 hour instead of 2 bullshit hours of these kids lives

Rock

Sicc OG
Sep 20, 2003
DJ Mark 7 said:
SOMEWHERE I still got on a VHS tape when N2Deep hosted and The Click "stopped by" to kick it lol.....40 was carryin a HUGE cellphone too
LMAO... IF YOU GOT THAT PLEEEAZE GET THAT UP

IM IN SHOCK... I DIDNT EVEN KNOW CMC STILL COME ON...

Nov 20, 2005
damn i didnt know kmel used to play house music. now u cant even mention the word house in that building unless ur talkin to st. john.