Why Doesn't KMEL and KYLD 94.9 Take Over CMC???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 28, 2003
With the emergence of this new found support of Bay Area music and culture one would think that Clear Channel would take advantage its listeners translating into larger viewer support. Keak, The Frontline, 40, C-Bo (from Sac, but close to the Bay), Federation, Kesha Cole, Goapplle, Zion I, Latoya London (from American Idle) and a few others have real videos that get play on local stations outside of the Bay--lets get it going here. Do it like it use to on CMC. Get the radio personalities to host it. Mix Bay flavor with the mainstrem and show those videos that Bay artist are paying good money to only be seen in the Bay on (pretty much) their MySpace pages.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
someone like E-40 should buy CMC from whoever runs it now and bring it back to how it used to. It fuckin sickens me to see what they did to that show

Oct 19, 2005
YOuNg WiNo said:
i used come home everday after school from 5th grade to 7th and watch cmc . then i moved to brentwood and didnt get cmc until cmc went pop
same here...dont really remember when I stop watchin CMC but that sht use to bring me home everyday just to watch it

Sep 27, 2005
man back in the days CMC wuz the shit, comin home from school watchin that, remember monday madness, all request wednesdays, hip hop fridays, lol forgot the other days, but that shit wuz crackin non-stop, alot of bay videos that i never seen before, l.a. videos too just all west coast...... then it started playin some r&b later on , but it wuz still coo cuz on fridays atleast they still kept it gangsta, then it went to p diddy and mase n shit, then i remember the first time they started playin too much r&b and then the first time they played a rock song i wuz like wtf? after that it just got completely outta control they wuz playin rock music n shit like it wuz mtv, i remember sway came back one time for hip hop fridays and wuz like everybody request this ya'll if u still want the ol school type cmc back, and fools did request for a while but eventually that stopped i guess cuz he got the gig on MTV or they just changed the format again but it wuz back to playin that wack ass shit, franzen and trace had left after that too, andy kowanami stopped hosting, it wuz just all chewy after that.........

Feb 26, 2005
it all comes down to advertising and what people really wanna see. (or think they want 4 that matter cuz they are all programmed that way) all the corporate companies like McDonalds and CHEVROLET would rather spend money appealing to that audience (a trl type) especially because CMC airs during the exact same time as the center and the basement. and the truth about it all is that not as many people actually request those type of videos &/or songs. We have to face it....as of right now most of us on this board are pretty much the only "real" die hard fans. for the most part mainstream america only wants to hear Kanye west & kelly clarkson.

P.S. this is a generalization,,,there are hundreds and even thousands of people who feel the same way and would much prefer to have cmc support bay music like it used to but once again, we are greatly out-numbered. and it keeps coming back to how we as fans dont go out n buy bay albums so its to the point where we can throw soundscans in those idiots faces.

P.P.S.
if clear channel were to take over it be even worse, corporate conglomerates do not help inde artists at all.

P.P.P.S. thank god for von n scotty

Apr 22, 2005
man I remember when they first started switchin up.They played no doubt and I had no idea that would be the beginning of the end lol.I remember they had the show that came on at 1 in the morning,that was how I first discovered cmc cuz I woke up,started flippin the channels and they were playin "practice lookin hard".I was hellla happy,I thought we had a cable channel or some shit haha

Oct 17, 2005
to clarify... Clear Channel has owned KMEL and KYLD since 99 but the stations have been falling ever since the telecommunications act.

I'm sure many of yall know this, but an accurate story of "the people's station" is here writen by Jeff Chang:

http://www.reclaimthemedia.org/stories.php?story=03/02/13/9855425

a good read that shows how bay area indie artists have been affected by the radio station monopolies.