Who's gonna sell mo than mix allot out tha WA

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

tadou

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
^^ This from the same person who nobody will ever be able to sit down with face-to-face, because he hides behind his "i'm a huge star in real life" moniker? Give me a break. I don't need your ad hominem bullshit--either speak on the relevance of what i spoke on or don't say shit. Your behind-the-back, Lebron James theatrics are not necessary.

If i am going to spend my cash on a studio, it won't be for some overzealous upstart with a snot-nosed engineer, a triton and some expensive mics. Thats their own fault for renting out that space; thats that engineer's fault for not having a job on the side; and thats that producer's fault that he can't sell 5 beats for $200 instead of 1 for $1000.

Schooling, you say? I suppose Nirvana "needed" some schooling before they sold some 5x more than Mix-A-Lot ever did? This is theory, my good man....this is not 5 + 5 = ___. So you can take your schooling bullshit back to whatever industry book you're thumping these days.

Mar 13, 2003
www.billythefridge.com
I don't know it all, but what I do know is very few people are making money off of JUST MUSIC here in Seattle... almost everybody's got their 'side jobs'. The person who sells more than Mix-A-Lot is going to be the person who sells more than Mix-A-Lot... it's not a question to be asked, but a statement to be made.

There's quite a few people who look at this as a business and an art form, those are the people who are gonna make it big. It can't just be an art, at that point you are shutting people out and to sell a hun-thou units, you're gonna need MASS APPEAL... it may mean 'sellin' out' to some or just expanding your horizons... it wouldn't kill anybody to take some music classes, would it - god forbid somebody could do a lil' more than rap. Any succsessful person in music should be able to Multi-Task... if you can't do 1-2 other things than rap, you're at a disadvantage. However, if you are about your business, spend the rest of your time stepping your game up. Pick up some of your favorite albums, sit down and listen to them and study WHY they are your favorite. Don't listen for what you think is tight, listen for WHY it was tight to you. Then have somebody close to you listen to it and have them tell you WHY it was tight to them. If you guys have different opinions, discuss that shit. Figure out what other people like. You figure out what somebody is doing right, than you can focus yourself on doing things you never thought would be beneficial. I'm not talking just emulating one of your favorite rappers/rap albums, reinvent that... make it a part of you, no rapper can have too many strong qualities... you gotta be hungry, until you're signed and have sold a million then you can be lazy.

There's people here in the northwest who have that business mind and marketability, once one person blows up, the region will hit like the ATL. Some of you say there's too many weak people here in the Northwest for it to blow up, which is totally false, there's probably more weak people in New York or ATL, but they have tight people who already blew up. There's weak people everywhere, it's the ones who rise above who define the region.

SYKO

Artist
May 4, 2002
how about all you highly educated typers in the forum do somethin about it instead of makin threads....and by the way....mix won a grammy for baby got back....grammies are hard to come by unless u will smith eminem outkast or 50....lets not forget they only started givin grammys away to hip hop artists in the early 90's..i believe fresh prince and jazzy were the first to win...but didnt go to the show cause the grammys didnt want to televise that part of the show......

tadou

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
^^ If i'm going to work a side-job to support my career, that side-job is finna pay well. As soon as i get out of college and get a good job, ill start poppin up a lot more often.

@Fridge
That whole middle paragraph hit me right at my core. One of my favorite ways to practice is to sit down and try to emulate/spoof a rapper's style--countless verses that will never see the light of day......I'm not too sure about that last one though. I see the NW, right now, as being more like a Nappy Roots/David Banner-type area, than an area on the verge of taking over the airwaves at any given moment. There really is no infrastructure here like there could be.

Feb 4, 2004
There are definitly some people that can become big in this northwest market. But I don't think anyone has that national market get that money attitude just yet. Unfortunatly the lack of support from venues in our Seattle area for local hip hop is low. There are only a hand full of places where cats can actually do thier things.

Last thing I got to say about the studios is Sic Wid it made an excellent point. Don't fault the studio for charging 40-50 bucks an hour. There a business they are there to make money. Even if they are an upstart company. Shit I owned a studio in my home for about 6 years before I decided that it was time to get a commercial spot and my rates stayed the same. If people thaught my rates were to high then I told them to step and I apply the same to the business that I have now.

tadou

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
@DJ
Charge what you think you're worth. I been thinkin about charging $700 a verse my damn self. I mean, nothing is free, right? I'm just trying to be in business like the rest of yall.

Apr 25, 2002
tadou said:
^^ This from the same person who nobody will ever be able to sit down with face-to-face, because he hides behind his "i'm a huge star in real life" moniker? Give me a break. I don't need your ad hominem bullshit--either speak on the relevance of what i spoke on or don't say shit. Your behind-the-back, Lebron James theatrics are not necessary.

If i am going to spend my cash on a studio, it won't be for some overzealous upstart with a snot-nosed engineer, a triton and some expensive mics. Thats their own fault for renting out that space; thats that engineer's fault for not having a job on the side; and thats that producer's fault that he can't sell 5 beats for $200 instead of 1 for $1000.

Schooling, you say? I suppose Nirvana "needed" some schooling before they sold some 5x more than Mix-A-Lot ever did? This is theory, my good man....this is not 5 + 5 = ___. So you can take your schooling bullshit back to whatever industry book you're thumping these days.
Again, and not suprisingly, you respond with a post that's laughable and is a clear display of how ignorant you really are. The envy and bitterness you harbor must be eating you alive because I can't imagine anyone would be happy knowing they're possibly the biggest 'villiage idiot' of all time.

tadou

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
What i have to say is this................Should not a rabbi or priest be consulted about the virtues of marraige, even though they themselves have never been married? Should not activists be able to speak of the appauling conditions in prison, even if they have never been incarcerated? So why should i not be able to speak of the music business if what i am saying has merit and relevance?.....You started this ad hominem, "you haven't" shit, and i am going to finish it.

If anyone has personal/mental problems, its YOU for walking around spouting off your "you aren't in the game" rhetoric. It makes you sound like a miserable failure who's only fame is on the internet, as an unidentified ghost...a shell of a human being...a coward.

@On One
Holler at your boy for a verse!!!!!!!

Feb 4, 2004
what relevance to the topic of this subject matter does the last post have to mix a lot and who is going to sell more records than him?????????????????????

just a question....

@tadou I do charge what I am worth thats why I have been in business for as long as I have. 700 billz for a verse maybe if your good enough but if you aren't selling any records who do you think honestly will pay you?

tadou

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
@DJ
http://www.siccness.net/vb/showthread.php?t=105742&page=4&pp=10&p=1032123 -- Click the link and read for yourself why this conversation turned. This kind of commentary is uncalled for. There is no need for "some of you cats need more schooling" or "you got so much of this stuff backwards". Either refute the claims or elaborate on them.

Now...what does it matter what i charge or don't charge? My time is money whether i sell 5 albums or 5000 albums...if i ran a studio, whether i booked 10 hours of time or 1000...i mean, am i wrong? Just because i dont dump/waste thousands of dollars on expensive equipment (most of which is so people will look at your equip list and go "oooooh!"), doesn't mean i shouldn't get paid.

May 31, 2004
Does somone need a nap? This wasnt about tadou and his prices for whatever the fuck you do. it was for people to voice there opinions on record sales. so save that shit fa the montell williams show.

Mar 13, 2003
www.billythefridge.com
To respond about our area, when I said it was gonna blow like the ATL, I meant once one person get sbig here, people will look over here and give the NW talent pool a second thought. Like when Nelly hit from STL, many from STL followed in hsi foot steps. That's what I see happening in the NW. They look over here and think rock... we've been the premiere area for rock n' roll for years upon years, we need to get somebody OTHER than mix to blow like that. If one person blows up, our entire region is gonna benefit from the A&R folks taking a second look at the region. Just so long as whoever blows doesn't pull a Baby Bash and claim their from a different area.

May 6, 2002
I know Bash personally and he still claims Vallejo, he admits the fact the it took his move to Texas to help his career tho. It ain't where your from it's where your at!!