When Do People Lose All Credibility In Your Book When It Comes To Hip Hop?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
music is all about opinions. people think jay-z is the best rapper alive, while others think he sucks. people think 50 cent doesn't make good music, only catchy hooks, while others think that man is one of the best songwriters in the industry. people look for rap for different reasons. I consider myself a hip hop head, so I know who people like aesop rock & anticon & slum village are.....I also think they all suck, as well as thinking that 50 cent can write good songs, so noone really takes me seriously. the thing is, I can argue valid points & break each down musically on why they're good or not, and not just say "that shits tight because its tight" for the most part I listen to artists based on their lyrical ability, as well as their song structure, writing & content, patterns, punchlines, etc.....but then again I like Turf Talk, and he has none of that. there are some things you can't explain why you like, you just do. I just don't get why people get so mad at the fact that these musicians are making music that people want to hear. who knows whether or not fabalous wants to make nothing but love songs to chicks, the females wanna hear it and buy up his records, so he continues to make music for his fanbase. as an artist you have to cater to your fans....if 95% of your fans are women, then you're gonna be singing alot of love songs.

Aug 7, 2006
i had makavelli and tupacs 2 masterpieces and i cant get into it that much compared to the other albums i have. im more into that 90's machine gun funk instead of the more gangster west coast shit but both styles are ill tho its just when im cruisin i like that boom bap shit

Aug 7, 2006
Defy said:
people look for rap for different reasons. I consider myself a hip hop head, so I know who people like aesop rock & anticon & slum village are.....I also think they all suck, as well as thinking that 50 cent can write good songs, so noone really takes me seriously. the thing is, I can argue valid points & break each down musically on why they're good or not, and not just say "that shits tight because its tight" for the most part I listen to artists based on their lyrical ability, as well as their song structure, writing & content, patterns, punchlines, there are some things you can't explain why you like, you just do.
that exactly what happens to, like i dig aesop, anticon for my personal reasons along with jayz and nas for certain reasons. but then there are always the ones you like because you grew up around that kind of music. for me it would be lynch. since im from sac i always caught someone bumpin "locc 2 tha brain" but if i never heard him when i was young i probably would of never got into him when i started learnin more music. just my opinion

Jan 20, 2007
IamGilgamesh.guru
Pac had a lot to say, but the more I listen to Pac and Biggie, the more I hear Biggie as skill, and Pac as having a message, or feelings. I prefer Biggie by far, but I also have a lot of respect for Pac. I have NO real problem with Pac. I just get damn tired of Pac fan. They're fuckin' obnoxious.

I agree with almost every said in the thread in regards to the actual topic tho.

Jan 20, 2007
IamGilgamesh.guru
Pac had a lot to say, but the more I listen to Pac and Biggie, the more I hear Biggie as skill, and Pac as having a message, or feelings. I prefer Biggie by far, but I also have a lot of respect for Pac. I have NO real problem with Pac. I just get damn tired of Pac fan. They're fuckin' obnoxious.

I agree with almost every said in the thread in regards to the actual topic tho.

Jan 1, 2006
The Evil Genius said:
He's alwayz watching hip hop videos & listening 2 rap music so from that u would expect him 2 know something about rap music.
anyone who watches music videos is already brainwashed into everything that's being feed to them. I bet he knows all the dances and does that chicken noodle soup for days. That being said I'm underground baby

Feb 27, 2007
when people diss underground hip-hop talent with their inability to grasp a big tyme record deal. which is of course bullsh*t. peopel say that cause they aint wit def jam they aint good. thats when i lose it for them.

Jan 20, 2007
IamGilgamesh.guru
The Evil Genius said:
Real Talk. I don't kn ow who aremore obnoxious........Pac fans or Mac Dre fans.
I know which. West Coast fans.

Now, I really don't care what you like. There's (obviously) good west coast rappers. All I'm saying is, people who REALLY like West Coast seem to come across as ignorant and close-minded, actin' like if you're not from Cali, you're not allowed to rap. Obviously not all fans think like this, but a lot do. Seems that way with a LOT of people on here too. Ain't nothing wrong with liking West Coast, just don't hate on everything else, JUST for not being Cali.

May 30, 2006
Gawd Sadist said:

Now, I really don't care what you like. There's (obviously) good west coast rappers. All I'm saying is, people who REALLY like West Coast seem to come across as ignorant and close-minded, actin' like if you're not from Cali, you're not allowed to rap. Obviously not all fans think like this, but a lot do. Seems that way with a LOT of people on here too. Ain't nothing wrong with liking West Coast, just don't hate on everything else, JUST for not being Cali.
That aint just West Coast, thatz everywhere. I go 2 other hip hop message boards & I see alot of people from the south laghing @ the decline of NY record sales & saying West Coast shit iz garbage. And NY niggaz act like anything outside of NY or Jersey does'nt belomg in hip hop. So it aint just cali, that shit iz everywhere. But if u wanna speak on Cali in that form then your more referring to LA & the Bay. Those 2 places refuse 2 take a temporary backseat & just admit that the Valley & Dago are putting out better music right now.

May 30, 2006
The Visualizer said:
anyone who watches music videos is already brainwashed into everything that's being feed to them. I bet he knows all the dances and does that chicken noodle soup for days. That being said I'm underground baby
I hear what your saying & I agree. I just thought that I could discuss hip hop with someone who listens 2 the latest music. I remember throwing on Strong Arm Robbery vol. 1 & he was like "why iz these wack ass niggaz stealing everybodys beats". The nigga didnt even know what a mixtape was!! I was bumping Mitchy & Damu & the nigga was like "what the fuck iz a Damu". I was like "nigga , your suppose 2 be a Blood & don't even know what a Damu iz". Just thinking about how stupid this nigga sounded @ the time iz making me laugh.

Jan 20, 2007
IamGilgamesh.guru
The Evil Genius said:
That aint just West Coast, thatz everywhere. I go 2 other hip hop message boards & I see alot of people from the south laghing @ the decline of NY record sales & saying West Coast shit iz garbage. And NY niggaz act like anything outside of NY or Jersey does'nt belomg in hip hop. So it aint just cali, that shit iz everywhere. But if u wanna speak on Cali in that form then your more referring to LA & the Bay. Those 2 places refuse 2 take a temporary backseat & just admit that the Valley & Dago are putting out better music right now.
Too true.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
Gawd Sadist said:

are you sure you don't mean new york & the east coast? because what you're describing is the kind of shit thats been going on out there for decades. NY thinks its the epicenter of rap and that you can't be tight if you''re not from there....but if you are then you're automatically given a pass to be as wack as humanly possible.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
The Visualizer said:
thats the typical "everything commercial is wack because its not underground" shit. Videos have become a big part of music, delivering visuals to it. chicken noodle soup aint shit without a video, but with it it becomes a nationwide hit. do you know how to lean with it & rock with it? of course you do, you've seen the video. do you remember when micheal jackson turned into that car or the panther....or went back in time to egypt? music videos have become a large part of music, don't get pissed off that your underground heads are too busy smoking leak & picking the biggest words out of the dictionary to put some visuals to their music.

Jan 20, 2007
IamGilgamesh.guru
Defy said:
are you sure you don't mean new york & the east coast? because what you're describing is the kind of shit thats been going on out there for decades. NY thinks its the epicenter of rap and that you can't be tight if you''re not from there....but if you are then you're automatically given a pass to be as wack as humanly possible.
I guess it goes with any region. Being from the midwest, I HAVE to be open-minded, cuz there ain't too much that's REALLY good from here. It definitely exists, but not as many as other places from what I've seen.