What makes an Artist "good"?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 2, 2002
www.buchosbar.com
Seeing some of the debates over Nelly and Bootlegging in the last couple days made me wonder…

What makes a good MC… or what makes an artist good? Is it the producer? The lyrics? The popularity? What makes an artist “good”? Why do most people on this board think that the artists that are making all the money not “good”?

If possible I would like to use the comments you post here to write this weeks music article at www.buchosbar.com . Usually someone reviews an album each week or promotes and artist, but I think hearing from the fans, artists, and people in the business would be interesting. Since the bar gets around 350 to 400 unique hits a day many from people who do not visit this board, it’s a good way to get your opinion heard!

Thanks in advance!

May 10, 2002
THA RIPPA said:
having good looks like me
man thats what wrong with the rap game today....I've asked girls why they listen to nelly, damn near alllll of em said "cuz he's fine"......what the fuck kinda answer is that???? alotta giurls are like that with eminem too, its sad....

to be a "good" artist in my opinion just be str8 wit people!!! be REAL....dont be rappin bout shit you have never seen or let alone done in ya life, stay away from it!!!

TKO

Sicc OG
May 2, 2002
originality, lyrics, vocal delivery, presence, - you need to stand out from all the joe schmooes.....if you sound like tom, dick, and harry...then you better have some tight ass lyrics to be above the rest...

artists like e-40, mac dre, mac mall, cellski, san quinn...these are artists you know right when you hear them....

May 17, 2002
Its a combo of your delivery with the production...Example would be Nickatina or Mac Dre: their stlyes are just different and good to hear. But then you get cases like Dre: his beats bring the best out of everyone.

May 27, 2002
k plug my album......

THA RIPPA-APOCALYPTIC SCRIPTURES

tell all the girls on the site im good looking, that should create sales :devious:

I AM THA RIPPA HEAR ME ROAR!!!

M

MrFreeze

being "good" is all a matter of opinion. whats good to me isnt neccesarily whats good to someone else. a good example would be to post up a review for an album and see how different the replies would be. so what makes an artist succesful (cuz thats all that really matters) is the ability to move units which is all about the distribution and promotion.

Jun 16, 2002
To be "great" and artist must have their own unique style that is evident on all their work. But at the same time they have to come out with a variety of songs with different themes, tempos, moods, issues etc. The mc needs to be able to ryhme multi syllabel words, rhyme one word with two others, carry a rhyme if needed, tell a story while rhyming rather than just rhyming phrases over and over to sound tyte (sometimes thats ok but u need to be able to do both). They need to not use catch phrases over and over one or two songs is ok. Their voice needs to have an attractive tone to it that comes naturally not forced out. They need to have an emotional delivery that emphisizes sounds or ryhmes. They need to be able to rap slow and fast and sound tyte doin both. They need to have a good producer as well and make sure that their lyrics compliment the beat and vice versa. Very few if any artists possess all of these qualities but i think 2pac came the closest.

Apr 26, 2002
wut i think makes an artist good is a few elements

1. lyrics (passion, delivery, voice)
2. hook (catchy ass hook)
3. production (catchy production, beat change ups. i cant' stand when a beat jus stays tha same thru-out tha whole song. me, personally, i like alot uv crazy fuccin sounds in tha songs i listen 2. i like my music to talk 2 me, even when there's no lyrics.)

folld.