What are you planning on adding to your studio?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I used to run photolabs when I was in the military I'm trying to get a little home multimedia setup crackin to try to get some extra cash hopefully i can make it flourish into a nice little home business. I went to recording school too so might as well get equipment for everything i know and or want to do so i can broaden my horizons. I figure I like doing this kind of stuff so if i can make money doing it that would be great and if i dont put all my eggs into that basket i dont have to worry about screwing myself financially if shit doesnt work out right away. I'm basically tired of the what ifs and ready to put fourth the effort to make something happen. If all else fails at least i'll have a bad ass lab to fuck around in.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
you think an HP pavilion elite would suit my needs? anytime i shop for computers all the sales people try to push me towards spending big paper on a mac. that HP is like 5 times more powerful than what i have right now, i hear these quad core processors are noisy though. if i have an external interface will that effect my sound quality? this computer has everything i need on paper that i'm looking for though, I'm seriously thinking about copping

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
@GHP, if I were you I'd build my system from scratch. Not only that, I'd build my system as if I were going to run Pro Tools on it, even if I didn't plan on running Pro Tools. If your computer can run PT, and a shitload of cpu hogging plugins like a reverb plug, you'll have no problem running whatever d.a.w you choose. I say you hit the digi duc, soak the game in the windows thread for pro tools le/ 002/003 and see what they're suggesting, as they have a plethora of info and people willing to help.

Oct 20, 2008
GHP- go to the Dell website. You can customize a pc to fit your needs right on the site. They also have the windows downgrade which is very nice if you were worried about compatability.

This link will take you to the small business computer section, this way you can opt to not have all the extra programs and mess on your pc. check it out.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/homepage_c?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

The vostros desktop models are pretty nice. That's what im about to get for some music production work. Ive heard a lot of people say good things about them.

CNI

Sicc OG
Aug 8, 2007
Stay away from those crap pc-shit computers! Dell and HP are garbage. You get what you pay for. They for cheap because they are cheap! Made with generic parts.

I personally like the G5`s, but haven`t upgraded there yet. I was on a G4 for almost 2 years before it shut down on me. Had a little 466 Mhz processor that almost out performed my 2.4Ghz pc-shit! No lie.

Since I`m stuck on pc for the moment, I did exactly what Heresy said to do. I built mine. I got a nice INTEL P4 DUAL CORE 3.2GHz CPU MOTHERBOARD RAM COMBO KIT off eBay for under $200 and added a 1T HDD for under $90. I already had a case and dvd drive so I was ready to go. Slapped in XP Pro, loaded Pro Tools and all my tools that go with it and been running ever since. No hold up or problems yet. Even though it`s only 2GB Ram, (which XP only recognizes) no issues.

Never going to Vista. Almost as bad as Windows Millennium as the worst OS Windows ever released.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
seriously thinking about trading my MPD32 thats still in the box for the NI maschine, all the vids i've seen for it seems to make me think its geared towards house and dance music though. I saw one cat who made a hip hop beat on it though and it was nice. it was all sampled stuff though.

I'm sure my new dell wont steer me wrong, if we were going offa OS the new mac OS has been causing problems for people who do music too. I'm gonna run Sonar which is supposed to be able to run on windows vista 64 bit pretty smoothly

Oct 20, 2008
Im hearing a lot of Mac problems lately to. If you want a real professional setup you would probably need both mac and a good pc to handle everything that someone would throw at you.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I took the MPD back and got the MASCHINE! I can't wait for my computer to get to me so I can run my new setup. I got some seriously dope shit now, I'm excited.

I have the XPS Studio with the new i7 coming soon, Digi doesn't support 64bit yet so i'm gonna run Sonar 8. I'm waiting on some more cash coming though, i'll be copping that around the end of the month. maybe sooner cuz I might decide to take recycle back since the maschine can sample and do my chopping, i might still have use for that software though may still keep it.

Last thing I'm gonna need in my audio setup i'm gonna need as far as essentials go is an audio interface. I want something with a control surface but i'll probably hold off and get a solid rack with alot of I/O. I've been looking at the MOTU 8 pre, seems like a solid unit with alot of I/O at a reasonable price.

I'd love the cakewalk 700c control surface for sonar but that shit is 2500 bucks and its just a control surface, everything else after the interface is just extra luxury though. I wanna get a turntable and DJ mixer to stream vinyl and learn how to scratch that shouldn't set me back too much can't imagine going over 300 bucks for that

Mar 17, 2006
I took the MPD back and got the MASCHINE! I can't wait for my computer to get to me so I can run my new setup. I got some seriously dope shit now, I'm excited.

I have the XPS Studio with the new i7 coming soon, Digi doesn't support 64bit yet so i'm gonna run Sonar 8. I'm waiting on some more cash coming though, i'll be copping that around the end of the month. maybe sooner cuz I might decide to take recycle back since the maschine can sample and do my chopping, i might still have use for that software though may still keep it.
yeah, you might want to hold on to Recycle. I don't know anything that has that good of transient detection. Definitely not Guru and probably no Maschine.

I didn't think you could even return software like that?

STRATETGY

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
i havn't opened any of the software boxes yet. i could take it back if i wanted to.

I dunno if the maschine has the beat detecting recycle does but i do know with an interface you can sample straight into the maschine software and chop and everything, not sure if it has a tempo detector or anything like that though. I hope it does. if not machine accepts rex files

Apr 21, 2006
That's a nice keyboard. Only 37 keys though. The pads are a bit small however.

There's also the AKAI MPK49 & Korg Kontrol49. Of course the Axiom, which you said you already have. I have the Axiom49. I think it's a nice keyboard, but just a bit bulky and I don't like how the knobs click when you turn them.

SO why you want to get rid of the Axiom? Because of the automap or what?
Damn my bad BOOBOO havent been in this forum in a minute. lol

Yeah i wanted something smaller to take with me to plug in and play and also a board with better quality + the automapping feature kind of sold me. I had my 49 on craigslist and got responses within hours, i was hesitant watching my ad. I realized that then and there how much I really appreciated my 49 after all. So I took that shit down and am still using it. Plus I dont want to be a gear whore. At least not right now.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I'm realizing that my old ass m-mudio audiophile USB probably isn't gonna work with m new computer, now on top of breaking bread for Sonar 8 I need a new interface too. With all the money I'm spending I coulda bought a brand new MPC 5000 lol. I think my setup is more versitile though.

I'm probably gonna roll with a TC electronic Konnect24. I figure its got the biggest bang for buck ratio, high quality pres 24/192 ad/da and adat I/O if and when I need more i/o plus you get TC plugins with the box that runs offa DSP. Pretty sweet for 4 hundred bucks. Either that or i'll spend another 100 dollars for a focusrite saffire pro 40, lots of I/O and you get a plugin suite with this box too just no DSP. You always have to make some kind of sacrifice

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I ended up getting Sonar 8 producer as my DAW and the Focusrite Saffire pro 40 as my interface, should get here in about a week.

The interface may be a little overkill for what i'm doing now but since i want to be able to eventually record whole bands I figured i might as well get all the I/O i could afford.

I guess now i'll have to start my mic collection and get myself a 8 channel preamp with ADAT so I can utilize the saffiire to the fullest.

Now the fun part of setting all this shit up, getting it to work right and teaching myself how to use all this stuff the right way.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Now i gotta figure out what the hell I'm gonna do with all those inputs HAHA, i don't even have any mics. I'm thinking maybe getting some used sound modules and definatly a turntable so i can get into sampling vinyl. I'll work inside the box while i save ends to work on the completed project

My ultimate goal is to get my chops up and record bands and shit. I figure this is the area where this equipment will pay off the most. That would be a whole new project inside itself since i cant just throw a band in my garage and let them wail out and have my neighbors call the police on me. I'm gonna have to figure out how i can isolate the sound coming out of my house so i don't disturb the people around me. acoustics aren't 100% important. I'm thinking about building an isolation room inside my garage which wont be cheap since i don't have any tools and i'm gonna have tp get a ventilation system in there since my garage is hot as hell! Gotta start a mic collection too.

I like making beats and all but it doesn't seem like a big money maker since everyone who can get their hands on cracked software is doing it.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
^thats thinking right there, whats counterpoint? I was thinking if i knew how to read music that would counteract for my lack of musical ability if i utilized the notation cabilities of my DAW lol.