What are some artists that are keeping hip hop alive....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Des504

destructCo.
Oct 13, 2002
louisiana
etsy.com
I can't even really look at Tech N9ne as hip hop anymore.

I dig the normal UG hip hop roster: Atmos, Aesop, Cage, Murs, One Be Lo, Binary, Del, Q-Tip, Wu, etc. etc.

but I like a lot of other music as well, so I don't bore myself.

martin_07n

Tachas y Perico
Feb 20, 2006
Tacos Sinaloa
www.siccness.net
Soulja Boy up In it (oh)
Watch Me Crank It
Watch Me Roll
Watch Me Crank Dat Soulja Boy
den Super Man Dat (oh)
Now watch me yuuuuuuuuuh
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)
Now watch me yuuuuuuuuuh
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)
Now watch me Yuuuuuuuuuh
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)
Now watch me Yuuuuuuuuuh

Apr 25, 2002
Its the truth rather you like them artists or not. bc they the ones that keep the money circulatibng in it. remember without money being made the business cant progress.

Look at it like whats mc donalds without the big mac or burger king with out the whopper bc those are them companies money making sandwiches rather they the best on the menu or not.
Yea look at McDonald's. When I need something to eat hella quick I goto McDonalds. If I eat it too much, I get fat because its content is full of crap. And then I die. Thats a great point.

I don't think the question said "who is making the most money in Hip Hop" it said who is keeping Hip Hop alive. You provided a list of mainstream artists who have been the voice of mainstream Hip Hop the last 4-5 years. I like some of the artist you mentioned, but none of those artists keep me listening to Hip Hop.

If Hip Hop is tight jeans, mohawks, saying the same thing over and over again and spending all your money on chains and remote control iced out lamborgini's, crying about your insecurities to autotune, let's keep that list.

"Give Orphan Annie, a portion of youre Grammy, and pay Pac's Mamma a portion of that money, Someone in your family violated the law, You and your Girlfriend heard that before..."

Feb 8, 2003
Yea look at McDonald's. When I need something to eat hella quick I goto McDonalds. If I eat it too much, I get fat because its content is full of crap. And then I die. Thats a great point.

I don't think the question said "who is making the most money in Hip Hop" it said who is keeping Hip Hop alive. You provided a list of mainstream artists who have been the voice of mainstream Hip Hop the last 4-5 years. I like some of the artist you mentioned, but none of those artists keep me listening to Hip Hop.

If Hip Hop is tight jeans, mohawks, saying the same thing over and over again and spending all your money on chains and remote control iced out lamborgini's, crying about your insecurities to autotune, let's keep that list.

"Give Orphan Annie, a portion of youre Grammy, and pay Pac's Mamma a portion of that money, Someone in your family violated the law, You and your Girlfriend heard that before..."

You must not understand what a business is. Hip Hop is a business/artform and theres no business if the money isnt being caked in. The artist I named are whats keeping it alive bc they are who raking in the money not no c listartist like brother ali, jedi mind trick or murs(not taking nothing away from they abilities) but they not whats making real money for the biz and keeping it alive if so then more people would support them and they would actually be selling records.'

far as your tight jeans comment Im not not down with tight jeans but if you truely been into urban music since the rise you would know in 80's early 90's thats all rappers wore was tight jeans (look at n.w.a, too short, run dmc, ll cool j) back then

Feb 14, 2004
why's he weird? tech isn't hiphop. the only deep shit he raps about is the industry(FTI) and why he doesn't get to preform in KC. other then that, its about getting drunk and psycho bitches lol. well thats just my 2 cents. Tech is on my top five fav list. but i dont really consider him real hiphop. just rap. sorry if i disappoint any of you hardcore tech fans.

Feb 8, 2003
Hip Hop is an art form that has nothing to do with money.
Your incorrect

Its a business. Majority rappers arent in it for art no more they in it for a pay day you know that shit well as i do. If it was a art then muthafuckas wouldnt charge for verses or wouldnt charge for shows everything would be free. So that its art is some bullshit that krs one made up he only said taht bc he not selling anymore and to purseude kids to pay to go to his hip hop school..

Oct 2, 2006
Your incorrect

Its a business. Majority rappers arent in it for art no more they in it for a pay day you know that shit well as i do. If it was a art then muthafuckas wouldnt charge for verses or wouldnt charge for shows everything would be free. So that its art is some bullshit that krs one made up he only said taht bc he not selling anymore and to purseude kids to pay to go to his hip hop school..
IMO you are incorrect because real Hip Hop is about being able to tell a story through lyrics. It is not trying to dance your way up the charts and get radio play. Gucci Mane is far from real Hip Hop. He is a rapper. There is a difference in rap and Hip Hop music also.

Apr 25, 2002
You must not understand what a business is. Hip Hop is a business/artform and theres no business if the money isnt being caked in. The artist I named are whats keeping it alive bc they are who raking in the money not no c listartist like brother ali, jedi mind trick or murs(not taking nothing away from they abilities) but they not whats making real money for the biz and keeping it alive if so then more people would support them and they would actually be selling records.'

far as your tight jeans comment Im not not down with tight jeans but if you truely been into urban music since the rise you would know in 80's early 90's thats all rappers wore was tight jeans (look at n.w.a, too short, run dmc, ll cool j) back then
I understand what business is and its not art. There is a huge difference between business and art. The two can be compatible, but aren't one in the same. Most art forms that become business are destroyed. People don't start making art to be famous. They do it to be fresh. To call Hip Hop business/art form follows your line that raking in money is the most important thing and its not.

If we can't agree on that there's no need to debate. You listen to your Kayne and Lil Wayne and Gucci Man and think they're keeping Hip Hop going and I'll listen to my Atmosphere and Livewire and San Quinn and Nas and say that's what keeps Hip Hop going.

Feb 7, 2006
Gambitowens is right in a way. that Hip Hop vs. rap shit is bogus. Rap music is a form of hip hop music therefore its hip hop, no matter if they rappin about bitches and ice, or cyphers and burners (the grafitti type). So yes, Gambit is right when he says rappers who make money keep hip hop afloat, but he is not right in saying that if it wasn't for these kind of rappers hip hop would die. Hip Hop will never die because the other art forms in it will continue to thrive regardless of rap music (and that's been happening for years). And who's to say that some underground emo, or underground fool on some "lyrical, metaphysical, -isical" shit is real hip hop?

The closest shit to real Hip Hop rap music is what all the old mufuckas was rappin about which was HIP HOPPIN at the block party... the only time these so-called MC's from the underground rap about Hip Hop music, most of the time now, is about how the mainstream is fuckin it up or how they are real Hip Hop.

Go listen to the Treacherous Three, the Furious Five or some shit, that's real Hip Hop rap because they rap about hip hop.

It's like before there was Rock music, and Rockers and all the sub-genres of Rock music, there was Rock N' Roll... and Rock n' Rollers talked about rock and rollin (the lifestyle and the music), etc.. Then Rock evolved out of Rock N' Roll, and it talks about all kinda shit and sounds all kinda ways (the only way to compare it to rock n' roll is that they play some variation of bass, guitar, and drums, and the rock artist before them that influenced them, and so on all the way back to Little Richard, Elvis, etc.).

Feb 8, 2003
I understand what business is and its not art. There is a huge difference between business and art. The two can be compatible, but aren't one in the same. Most art forms that become business are destroyed. People don't start making art to be famous. They do it to be fresh. To call Hip Hop business/art form follows your line that raking in money is the most important thing and its not.

If we can't agree on that there's no need to debate. You listen to your Kayne and Lil Wayne and Gucci Man and think they're keeping Hip Hop going and I'll listen to my Atmosphere and Livewire and San Quinn and Nas and say that's what keeps Hip Hop going.

Nigga I listen to all kinds of music. It has nothing to do what i listen to(so go with that and go re read you will learn something). I named the names that keep urban rap music alive. Im telling the truth you can ask anyone who does it professionally and making a real living from it is that shit a business or not Its more of a business then anything. This is 2009 and 1995 anymore alot has changed catch up with time.