Week 6: Niners At Lions

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Lost in postgame fracas, Lions RB Best suffers concussion
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...game-fracas-lions-rb-best-suffers-concussion-

Overshadowed by the postgame fracas Sunday between Jim Harbaugh and Jim Schwartz was some serious injury news coming out of Detroit.

Lions running back Jahvid Best suffered a concussion during the fourth quarter of the Lions' 25-19 loss to the San Francisco 49ers, according to The Detroit News, his second concussion of the season. The

Best also sustained a concussion during training camp, and head injuries are a touchy subject for the running back ever since he suffered a horrific head injury while leaping into the end zone during his junior season at Cal. The Lions confirmed that Best was concussed, according to the report.

Best did not talk to the media following Sunday's game. In accordance to the NFL's concussion policy, his status for the Lions' Week 7 tilt against the Atlanta Falcons would definitely seem to be in doubt.

Best has 390 yards and two touchdowns in six games this season.

Jan 12, 2006
GREAT READ! Fuck Singlegtary and Raye

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/6711/draw-it-up-the-49ers-and-the-wham-play

Draw It Up: The 49ers and the 'Wham' Play

While much of the news out of the San Francisco 49ers 25-19 win over the Detroit Lions centers around the Jim Harbaugh-Jim Schwartz handshake-of-doom, there is another storyline to consider: The 49ers' close win. The victory was another step in the resuscitation of 49ers quarterback Alex Smith's career, which is not a complete surprise given that his coach, Harbaugh, was once an NFL quarterback himself. Yet Harbaugh hasn't brought a quarterback-dependent throw-it-around-the-stadium type of offense to San Francisco. Instead, he's doing what he did to rejuvenate Stanford, which seems to be to channel his old college coach Bo Schembechler's tough, physical approach to the game. And against the Lions, Harbaugh's 49ers didn't get their yards by running outside or getting the ball in space. Instead, the game plan was simple: run the ball right at Detroit's vaunted defensive line, led by Ndamukong Suh.

In that effort, Frank Gore paced the 49ers rushing attack with 141 yards, and he earned 102 yards on just two plays — 47- and 55-yard sprints. Indeed, not only were the two plays similar, they were the exact same play. That play is known as a "wham" concept.

Running plays come in different flavors. Some involve straight ahead blocking by the line, while others pull extra linemen to get excessive force at the point of attack. But another tactic is to focus on the leverage offensive players use to make their blocks, which frees up extra blockers to crush extra defenders. In short, while it typically takes two guys to block Suh, with the right tactic, the 49ers were able to use one, thus opening up all sorts of advantages. The most common form of this is known as a "trap," where a defensive lineman is left initially unblocked but is then blocked by an offensive player from the opposite side. Against Suh, the 49ers used the "wham" play, which is the same concept except the blocker comes from the outside.

On Gore's first big run, with just a few seconds left in the first quarter, the 49ers lined up in a "trey" set with a wide receiver to each side and a tight end and wing or "H-back," Delanie Walker, each lined up to the right. The goal of the "wham" blocked run play was to leave Suh unblocked. As shown below, Walker's job was to perform the "wham" block on Suh as he crashed upfield — a surprisingly simple block because Suh would be so focused on getting in the backfield that he wouldn't see it coming. This freed up the other linemen to block Detroit's linebackers, which they did.

wham1

In the image below, you can see the play developing perfectly: Suh, blissfully unaware, flies into the backfield hungry for a tackle for loss. Meanwhile, San Francisco's interior linemen release for the linebackers, each in good position to make a block.

A moment later, the big play is evident. Walker has completely taken Suh out of the play, while the other players have all made their blocks — ether in excellent fashion or simply by getting in the way as Detroit defenders get out of position. The one defender who could make the tackle — the blur in the photo near Gore — is Detroit safety Amari Spievey. He crashes down too quickly, though (to be fair, he undoubtedly expected better help from the inside), and Gore is off and running.

All that is left is for Gore to put a move on the safety, which he does, and he is off to the races. He would be caught at the one, but would score a touchdown one play later.

Because Harbaugh knows you can't have too much of a good thing, he called the exact same play in the third quarter, this time for a 55-yard run for Gore. This play seems to exemplify the theme of the week for Harbaugh: tough, physical, and a little bit unexpected.

This was one of the best games of the year right here.
Schwartz is a lame, he was celebrating like crazy over his win vs Cowboys not long ago and then this game he gets angry cuz Harbaugh taps him on the back and he shakes his hand? Man the fuck up and stop acting like a bitch Schwartz, can dish it out but cant take it lmao.

Good luck to yall 49ers fans.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Schwartz-Harbaugh altercation will result in no fines, per NFL
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...altercation-will-result-in-no-?urn=nfl-wp9827

The postgame dust-up between Jim Schwartz and Jim Harbaugh after the San Francisco 49ers' 25-19 win over the Detroit Lions has been played up all day just about everywhere in NFL circles, but the league took the first step to putting it to bed today when NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said that neither coach would be fined for the incident.

"On Detroit-SF coach incident, fortunately, there was no fighting and thus no basis for a fine," Aiello said on Twitter today. "However, both coaches told [VP of Football Operations] Ray Anderson today that their post-game conduct was wrong and will not happen again. We believe their response is the correct one and that their post-game conduct going forward will be more appropriate."

Given 24 hours to reflect, Schwartz clearly sounded like a man who wished none of it had happened, and would very much like to move on. "It was unfortunate," he said in his Monday press conference. "The games are played by the players on the field and we certainly don't want things like that to occur, but there are competitive people in the League and I think we need to do a better job of just leaving it to the players on the field."

Schwartz said that he had spoken to people from the league, and that he ahd Harbaugh did get a brief moment to speak after the incident cleared up. "Well, I have had contact with a lot of people today, but afterwards in the tunnel, I got a brief chance to speak with (Harbaugh) sort of. Everything had died down a little bit. I am sure we will talk again or will talk again soon."

Schwartz then recounted his history with Harbaugh, which had always been positive before. "It was fine," he said. "I was a lowly quality control coach (in Baltimore). I mean I was the quality control guy on defense and he was the quarterback. I haven't exactly stayed in touch. When he coached with the Raiders, I talked to him. He was the quarterback coach and I think I was the defensive coordinator with the Titans. But, there is nothing and there is nothing now.

"It is something that happened at the end of the game and, like I said, it sort of took away from the fact that it was a tough, hard fought game and congratulations to them. They came on the road, very, very difficult place — our fans made it a difficult place to play again — and they came away with win. We have talked before about how important road wins are, particularly NFC road wins."

Asked if he felt that he should apologize, Schwartz left that one alone. "It is a regrettable situation; particularly the fact that it detracted from what happened in the game … I will just revert back to what I said yesterday and just leave it there. I think it is what it is. It happened. It was very regrettable and it is something that there is nothing going forward between us personally or the two teams. Like I said, it was a tough, hard fought game in Ford Field. We need to play better and come out with a win the next time."

Schwartz also tried to put to rest any speculation that Harbaugh was hot over something he may have said when Harbaugh drew a penalty for trying to challenge a scoring play that he wasn't allowed to challenge. Our own Chris Chase has speculated, and others have followed, that this may have been the root of the problem.

"I don't think he was watching on TV," Schwartz concluded. "You can't hear things across the field. You can't challenge a scoring play; I think we all know that."

Schwartz has bigger fish to fry; his Lions welcome the Atlanta Falcons to Ford Field this Sunday. With the Green Bay Packers at 6-0 and the 3-3 Chicago Bears suddenly looking stronger, the Lions are in a position where they've moved from America's Darlings to just another team locked in a breakneck division race.

"Well that's life in the NFL," he concluded. "It's been a long time since we've been through that. This franchise went through a lot of lean years—lean being probably a pretty nice term right there. We've dealt with coming back from losses and things like that and we've dealt with long losing streaks and things like that, but it's been almost eleven months since we had to go into a locker room after a game and not be on the right side of the score. So there is something to that.

"We need to remember how it feels to lose; we don't need to be losing very often, but you know, maybe there is an edge you can get from that. We don't need any worries about talking about being 6-0, I mean obviously we're not, we're 5-1. We don't need to talk about anything other than the Atlanta Falcons and moving on to that game; have a good week of preparation and getting back on track."

Nov 14, 2004
fuck mangini, that that other fat guy, i dont care much for skip, but he tells it like it is, saying some of our record is a "mirage" fuck that puto, lets run the table all over these bitches, one week at a time.

Apr 20, 2003
9ers!!!!!! 5-1 motherfuckers fuck the doubters, hate on it.

Fuck the cowbitches and you fake out of state fans, u still forced to watch our Niners play unless u have sunday ticket lol.
Weeeell FUUUCK YOU too.....! I got the ticket and its STILL REDSKINS on mine.... Congrats to the 9ers tho