Warriors going after Elton Brand

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 10, 2006
WOW.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/02/SPRN11IP2K.DTL&tsp=1

The Clippers lured away the Warriors' best player.

Now Golden State is hoping to return the favor.

Flush with cap space after Davis' sudden exit, the Warriors have offered free agent Elton Brand a five-year deal worth between $85 and $90 million, according to league sources.

Brand, like Davis, opted out of the final year of his contract just before Monday's deadline, giving up a guaranteed $16.4 million for next season. At the time, Brand's agent, David Falk, told reporters that the move was designed to create some cap flexibility for the Clippers to add another top-line player.

The Clippers did just that by agreeing to terms with Davis on a five-year contract worth about $65 million Tuesday, though the deal cannot be finalized until July 9.

However, that means the most the Clippers can offer Brand is a five-year deal worth about $70 million due to salary-cap restrictions - about $20 million less than the Warriors.

Brand, who had been close to re-signing with the Clippers, is expected to make a decision today.

Golden State had previously gone after Wizards guards Gilbert Arenas, offering him a maximum contract of five years at roughly $100 million on Monday night after learning that Davis would be opting out.

The Warriors are also meeting with representatives for Monta Ellis in Oakland today to begin negotiations on a new contract for the restricted free agent.

Nov 10, 2006
If it happens, starting 5:monte, sjax, harrington, brand, biedrens.

Then we would have Wright, Bellineli, Rudolph off the bench.

I would be happy with that lineup. We would still need a backup pg while monte learns the position but we could get jason williams or livingston pretty cheap. If livingston gets fully recovered then he could be the steal of the free agent class this year. Hes a true pass first pg that can run the offense.

Dec 19, 2005
^thank you...i hate when people spell it monte.

and i love how hella "diehard" warriors fans don't know his name is spelled like that.

but anyway, it would be nice if they landed brand.

Nov 10, 2006
i hate when people spell it monte.
hahhaha. didnt know this was the checkyourspelling.net forums. I didnt know you had to be a good speller to be a warriors fan. ill be sure to turn on my spellchecker next time.

But anyway, I think if healthy, Brand is one of the few 4's who could run with the warriors.

Nov 10, 2006
i know the players on my team, doesnt mean i know how to spell their names 100% of the time. Actually when I was typing it up, I had a feeling I was spelling it wrong but figured I would spell it how it sounds...dumbass.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
I hear people fuck up his name all the time... Monty.. Montuh...

anyways...

85-90 mil is a shitload of money

20 more than the Clips could pay him... could be hard to turn down... who knows...

ComputerNerd

Graphic Artist
Apr 25, 2002
Isn't Brand coming off a major knee surgery? I doubt he would be durable enough next year to run as much as the W's do.
Brand ruptured his left Achilles tendon. I tore both my achilles and they are stronger than before !!! I'm sure Brand has top of the line rehab, so it shouldn't be a problem down the road, unlike a knee injury where problems can reaccur.

"if" the warriors can snag brand, i'm sure they would have to adjust their offense to Brand in the post, so it would give them a All Star post player they haven't had since Danny Fortson, Byron Houston, Clifford Rozier, Jason Caffey, etc....j/k