Vote for Seattle for Mtv "My Block"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
Why do you think that is? I mean, how many "hispanic" people live in Arizona? And isnt' Youngstown in OHIO? There's a hugely diverse population in bigger cities in Ohio, especially Columbus (I use to live there, and I've been there many, many times, as well as the rest of Ohio).

By the way, the word "hispanic" was made up for the census to include all Latin American Countries + Spain. So in all reality, it's not even a real thing (just like race, but that's another discussion).

Apr 25, 2002
If Phoenix won over us that would make me pissed. We have way more of an urban/black/hip-hop culture up here than they do in Phoenix.

Youngstown, I would not be pissed if they got chosen over us.

May 6, 2002
xpanther206 said:
If Phoenix won over us that would make me pissed. We have way more of an urban/black/hip-hop culture up here than they do in Phoenix.

Youngstown, I would not be pissed if they got chosen over us.
I'd like to see Seattle get a MY Block, But to be serious we look outdated with the breakers and the back pack rappers. Sorry to say, that clip didn't paint the right picture. We're all biased when it comes to this, we all think we should get it but if thats what we're sending in to represent us then thats probably where the problem starts. Where's the real rappers from Seattle at? If you we're to ask me Phoenix would get my vote just off presentation, just off what I saw.

Jun 1, 2006
Mr. Manolo said:
I'd like to see Seattle get a MY Block, But to be serious we look outdated with the breakers and the back pack rappers. Sorry to say, that clip didn't paint the right picture. We're all biased when it comes to this, we all think we should get it but if thats what we're sending in to represent us then thats probably where the problem starts. Where's the real rappers from Seattle at? If you we're to ask me Phoenix would get my vote just off presentation, just off what I saw.
While i agree the clip isnt the best foot forward, I'm glad that i found out b-boying and "backpack" emceeing is outdated, i wouldn't wanna look stupid

i guess hip-hop really is :dead:

May 6, 2002
TheGregster said:
While i agree the clip isnt the best foot forward, I'm glad that i found out b-boying and "backpack" emceeing is outdated, i wouldn't wanna look stupid

i guess hip-hop really is :dead:
In the mainstream it is, and that's what MTV is all about. I didn't see anything appealing in the seattle clip, dude's who freestyled weren't anything spectacular, the breakin is old school, by todays standards. They just need to step it up if thats what we're putting forth to represent us, cuz that just wasn't cutting it. Sorry, you took it a lil personal but there is more to Seattle that backpackin and breakin.

Jun 1, 2006
Mr. Manolo said:
In the mainstream it is, and that's what MTV is all about. I didn't see anything appealing in the seattle clip, dude's who freestyled weren't anything spectacular, the breakin is old school, by todays standards. They just need to step it up if thats what we're putting forth to represent us, cuz that just wasn't cutting it. Sorry, you took it a lil personal but there is more to Seattle that backpackin and breakin.
There is more to Seattle than that, of course, i whole heartedly agree. The clip was very one dimensional and only showed a small slice of the pie. But at the same time, im not gonna shit on b-boying when MTV has a show about b-boys and girls trying to audition for J-Lo that comes on after TRL and cats like will.i.am and Common are all over MTV with the songs for the Freedom Writers movie (and their own 1 hour special that plays in regular rotation) along with Black Eyed Peas videos and Gap commercials. I just don't agree that its "outdated", there's too much that says differently.

And it was nothing personal, it was a difference of opinion and a lack of knowledge. I feel like if you only support Seattle rap and not Seattle hip-hop culture, then you're just as one sided as the cats in the clip. Our B-boys are winning world championships (and were featured on MTV), our DJs our winning awards at summits for West Coast DJ of the year, our Producers are landing tracks with mainstream artists and earning publishing deals with majors. If anything, the rappers need to step THEIR game up and fall in line with the rest of the culture.

Apr 10, 2006
this shit actually aired on Monday like at 12pm. didn't really catch all of it, just had the clipse go thru their hood and watnot. had an interview with timbaland and chad hugo from the neptunes. thats all i saw of it. damn, wish seattle would've gotten it.

Jun 1, 2006
Virginia didnt "win" the contest, seeing as they weren't in it, they just EARNED it by being home to Timbaland, Neptunes, Missy Elliott, The Clipse, Skillz...

51fifty, if no one cares about Virginia and they have all those influencial people, then people don't give 2 shits about Seattle since we have NOBODY on their level, do you want to see a My Block: Louisville or a My Block: Baltimore? Probably not, the same way they don't wanna see a My Block: Seattle, not till we make noise outside our area

Jan 24, 2004
www.twitter.com
TheGregster said:
51fifty, if no one cares about Virginia and they have all those influencial people, then people don't give 2 shits about Seattle since we have NOBODY on their level, do you want to see a My Block: Louisville or a My Block: Baltimore? Probably not, the same way they don't wanna see a My Block: Seattle, not till we make noise outside our area
bingo.