Vote for Seattle for Mtv "My Block"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

JAPE

Sicc OG
Apr 29, 2006
sounded like in the Ohio video clip that song was like "Ghost ride ya whip thizz wit it then smashh" or somethin

Jan 14, 2004
xpanther206 said:
I don't agree w/ any of your choices except for maybe RHS. 10 different people are going to have 10 different opinions on who they should show, so that really doesn't matter at all.

What matters is that they actually show somebody, this is bigger than a few individuals, don't worry about an individual making us look bad, b/c right now we don't look anything at all.

Amen

Apr 6, 2006
I think the Seattle joint would be waaaay more hood than the other spots, real talk.

But, will Seattle gain the interest of mufuckas?? Shit, I been here in the mighty MIGHTY Wa for a hot one and Im still waitin on my nicca E to take me on a tour thru Sea-town. (Get at me nicca! I got enough bullets for the trip hahaha!)

Apr 25, 2002
MrSniccrs said:
I think the Seattle joint would be waaaay more hood than the other spots, real talk.
No, not even close, Youngstown would take that honor easily.

Phoenix would be a tossup (they'd have to rely on the Mexicans in South Phoenix, they don't really have a Rainier Beach, Hilltop or Lakewood down there but they got miles and miles of South Parks).

Long Island isn't hood at all outside of NYC & Roosevelt. Nassau County is among the richest in the entire United States.

Apr 6, 2006
But Youngstown is something niccas seen before when you look elsewhere. Seattle is a metro. I can see it now:

The scene opens to a Mix-A-Lot sittin at a pc with the Windows logo drinkin a double shot latte from Starbucks or Seattle's Best...

Hahahaha. Classic.

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
xpanther206 said:
Phoenix would be a tossup (they'd have to rely on the Mexicans in South Phoenix, they don't really have a Rainier Beach, Hilltop or Lakewood down there but they got miles and miles of South Parks).
You need to quit relying on books for your street information.Phoenix got brothaz,and not all South Park is hood.I also agree with Jesse,and take it how you want,but if that show is somewhat based on a hip-hop scene,than Seattle is'nt close to being ready.I'd rather see the Pork N Beans Projects in Florida.

Apr 25, 2002
MrSniccrs said:
But Youngstown is something niccas seen before when you look elsewhere. Seattle is a metro. I can see it now
Yeah this is true, Youngstown is a much smaller place, Seattle is a metropolitan area. But Youngstown's got 5x the black population and 3x the crime rate. It's way more hood than we are.

But it's about music not hood. I've searched a lot of places looking for good stuff from Youngstown and haven't been able to find any.

Apr 25, 2002
BAMMER said:
*) You need to quit relying on books for your street information. 1) Phoenix got brothaz 2) not all South Park is hood
1) Phoenix has brothers of course, but that's not saying anything. They're a little over 5% of the population down there, that's the 3rd least black major city (> 500,000) in the entire country ahead of San Jose & Salt Lake City.

2) I am aware, a lot of good families are moving into that neighborhood b/c the rest of the city is so damn expensive. The reason I brought that neighborhood up is that stuff does go down there and ethnically, it's the closest thing the Seattle area has to a true southwest-style barrio. Phoenix is full of them, but has no sizable area where blacks are the largest group.

People are always offended at the books approach to trying to understand the streets. I have always been far less impressed with the experience approach. Everybody's got so much pride in their place that they claim they're the hardest. You can't have 50 cities tied for 1st, that's not how it works. And it is influenced more by demographics than anything else. Large amounts of accurate demographic data & less accurate but still valid crime data are readily available for anybody to find, it's not complicated. I'm never going to stop with the books approach b/c it works.

I'll be moving anywhere in the Seattle or Phoenix areas before I'm moving to the west side of Youngstown. But I'm also bumping rap music from Phoenix or Seattle before I'm bumping rap music from Youngstown, so MTV My Block should go to one of those cities.

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
If there were 200 cans of pepsi in my house,are you gonna go in the laundry room first to find it?NO,your gonna go in everyone's fridge,regardless the size of the house.

Mtv does'nt give a fuck about anything other than a "section(s)" of a city where hip-hop is a way of life.They ain't goin to little Tommy's and Uncle Skylers house in North Phoenix.So your numbers don't mean much,unless I asked you how many Pacific Islanders live within the city limits off ALL OF PHOENIX.

Apr 25, 2002
BAMMER said:
If there were 200 cans of pepsi in my house,are you gonna go in the laundry room first to find it?NO,your gonna go in everyone's fridge,regardless the size of the house.

Mtv does'nt give a fuck about anything other than a "section(s)" of a city where hip-hop is a way of life. They ain't goin to little Tommy's and Uncle Skylers house in North Phoenix. So your numbers don't mean much.
I really like that Pepsi can analogy, that's a great visual. You obviously understand THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN DEMOGRAPHICS/SCALE AND HIP-HOP CULTURE, which is exactly what we're talking about. What I'm not sure you realize is that the numbers can easily address the issue of scale.

The Block Group is a geographic unit grouping city blocks (usually around 20 blocks in urban areas) into one statistical entity. Now of course there can be a considerable amount of variation within a 20 block area, I know you're stomping ground of West Seattle is a perfect example. But still, what shapes a special space in hip-hop culture is almost always shaped by the characteristics of the larger area surrounding that space. The mom & pop record store, the corner barber shop, the spot to get some chicken wings and the intersection with special significance are not located randomly. They are all there for a specific reason, and that reason is usually the people living around them.

With the Block Group, let's look at Phoenix vs. Youngstown (My Source):

Phoenix AZ (pop = 1,321,045)
* 10 block groups where blacks are atleast 33% of the population, all in South Phoenix
* 2 block groups where blacks are over 50% of the population (highest = 78.1%, average of these 2 block groups = 72.1%)

Youngstown OH (pop = 82,026)
* 43 block groups where blacks are over 33% of the population, all in Central & East Youngstown
* 32 block groups where blacks are over 50% of the population (highest = 98.4%, average of these 43 block groups = 86% black)

What this means is that a despite being 15x Youngstown's size, Phoenix has only a tiny fraction of the physical "hip-hop space" that Youngstown has.

Interpreted carefully, the numbers indicate that "moderately black Phoenix" is roughly 1/4 the size of "moderately black Youngstown" and "truly black Phoenix" is roughly 1/16 the size of "truly black Youngstown."

There are simply no sizable truly black neighborhoods in Phoenix. Black people in Phoenix do not live around each other like they do in Youngstown. Black people in Phoenix do not occupy & influence physical space like they do in Youngstown. These are both true to a lesser extent in our city.

In order for your argument to pan out, you've got to convince me that EITHER the Mexicans are a vital part of their hip-hop community (and thereby have culturally significant physical spaces) OR that MTV My Block will go to areas where white people live (you already told me they wouldn't visit my uncle Skyler & cousin Tommy's crib).

On the MTV My Block selection choice, if all they're looking for is "hood" then it's got to be Youngstown and it's not even close.

Apr 25, 2002
^^^

If you're thinking about 35th Ave in West Seattle and the issue of scale is still bothering you, I understand. The data is available at the BLOCK LEVEL as well, solving that problem.

The same numbers as posted before, only a much finer scale:

Phoenix AZ (pop = 1,321,045)
* 190 blocks where blacks are atleast 33% of the population
* 99 blocks where blacks are over 50% of the population

Youngstown OH (pop = 82,026)
* 870 blocks where blacks are over 33% of the population
* 743 blocks where blacks are over 50% of the population

Here's the spreadsheet I downloaded with that information:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=A873169311015496

For further emphasis, we can look at the Index of Exposure statistic (Source) :

The average black person in Phoenix lives on a block that is:
40.39% Hispanic