Vote for Seattle for Mtv "My Block"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 9, 2002
xpanther206 said:
If Phoenix won over us that would make me pissed. We have way more of an urban/black/hip-hop culture up here than they do in Phoenix.

Youngstown, I would not be pissed if they got chosen over us.
So you have to be black to do hip-hop?

Then you contradict youself inthe enxt post bringin up the Puerto Rican version they did for Miami. They couldnt do a Southwest version with Mexicans for Phenoix?

And what do you know about the Pheonix hip-hop scene? You know alot about the Seattle scene cus you from here. There could be some cat from Pheonix, who is just like YOU, saying the same shit about Seattle and our scene. Niether city has any real national appeal as far as hip-hop goes.

BTW-A co-worker of mine is from Pheonix, and he has stated that the hip-hop scene down there is about as big as it is up here...not very.

And why wouldnt you be pissed if Youngstown got picked over Seattle? Is it becuase there are more black people there, so the chances of it being "hood" would look cool on TV? What do you even KNOW about the hip-hop scene in Youngstown? Can you name 10 artists from there?

Sometimes i think your dmeographic studies feed too much into your stereotypes of ethinic groups.

Jan 19, 2007
Louisville and Baltimore has made noise though, it wouldnt suprise me if they did do a my block. Shit they would of probably did a my block when Sir Mix A Lot was hot and Criminal Nation etc, but that was back in the day. But who cares im just rambling on

Nov 28, 2005
phx got some rappers but a myblock phx i dont know, i live in tucson i dont have any cd from rappers from phx, but i herd A FEW ITS NOT BAD, they should just do every city

Apr 25, 2002
Jesse fuckin' Rice said:
And what do you know about the Pheonix hip-hop scene? You know alot about the Seattle scene cus you from here. There could be some cat from Pheonix, who is just like YOU, saying the same shit about Seattle and our scene. Niether city has any real national appeal as far as hip-hop goes.
The sound down in Phoenix is similar to that of Las Vegas, West Coast influenced but it's got that dessert clack to it that you hear in both the beats and the lyrics. There is talent down there for sure, but in my opinion, there is talent in every state of the USA besides North Dakota & Maine. I am pretty sure I know more about the scene down there than anybody down there knows about the scene up in Seattle. My own Arizona compilation features:

A-Dub (Hot)
Booda (Hot)
Hindu Family Mafia (Hot)

Hot Rod
NB Ridaz, Seven
Sicflow
Vontel
4Seen
Atlas
MC Magic
N.O.S.E.
Phil Harmonic
Raymond Reddkill
Rello
Yaiva
Black Sandz
Blaze Rock
Felony
Grime
M80
Mav
MOB Fam
Raskall
Soul Providers
Wildlife Refuge
Alumni Records
Apollo
Blaze Rock
CG Records
Gnac Boys
Mic Advancement
60-Deuce Records
Society of Invisibles
Tike and Blaze
Venom Vex
Young Rod
Yung Cavi
Blacksandz
Foe

Jesse fuckin' Rice said:
BTW-A co-worker of mine is from Pheonix, and he has stated that the hip-hop scene down there is about as big as it is up here...not very.
Yes I am well aware, and do you know why that is???

It's because Phoenix is the 3rd least black major city in the United States. Every other city Phoenix's size with a significant black population has made some serious moves in the rap game.

Jesse fuckin' Rice said:
What do you even KNOW about the hip-hop scene in Youngstown? Can you name 10 artists from there?
Aaro'fantastik (Hot)
Jay Fresh (Hot)
UNI Clique (Hot)

Westside Records
The Kreek Productions
The Warren Clark Files
RSake
C.O.R.E.
Jihadi
Kenny Ali
S Kill Zeta
Big Wheelies

Jesse fuckin' Rice said:
Sometimes i think your dmeographic studies feed too much into your stereotypes of ethinic groups.
You have got to be more specific than that, give me an example of a demographic generalization I've made that leads to a stereotype that is flat out wrong.

B/C if it's that initial stereotype that black people are the most likely segment of Americana to make it big in hip-hop, then would you like to explain to me why 93 of the 100 highest selling rap artists of all-time come from an ethnic group that consists of 11 out of every 100 Americans?

Do not misinterpret what I'm saying like most people who play the stereotype police, you've already misunderstood my understanding of the hip-hop scenes in Phoenix & Youngstown badly enough. African Americans are not born any better at rapping, they become better at rapping through lived experience, and all MTV Blocks does is highlight some of the geographic components behind those lived experiences, that is everything that the show is all about.

Apr 25, 2002
BADNEWZBROWN said:
They should just do every city
I agree with that statement 100%, there is talent everywhere. It is that exact thought process that's the reason I've got in my car a CD Booklet with a custom made compilation complete w/ album covers, maps & CD labels of every state in the USA.

Why else would a kid from Seattle WA be driving around bumping rap music from NY & LA right along with rap music from Vermont & New Mexico???

There is talent everywhere in America, if only they could put the shine on everybody for a day, that would be awesome. Unfortunately we all know it doesn't work that way, but I couldn't agree more with your initial statement.

May 9, 2002
xpanther206 said:
You have got to be more specific than that, give me an example of a demographic generalization I've made that leads to a stereotype that is flat out wrong.

B/C if it's that initial stereotype that black people are the most likely segment of Americana to make it big in hip-hop, then would you like to explain to me why 93 of the 100 highest selling rap artists of all-time come from an ethnic group that consists of 11 out of every 100 Americans?

Do not misinterpret what I'm saying like most people who play the stereotype police, you've already misunderstood my understanding of the hip-hop scenes in Phoenix & Youngstown badly enough. African Americans are not born any better at rapping, they become better at rapping through lived experience, and all MTV Blocks does is highlight some of the geographic components behind those lived experiences, that is everything that the show is all about.
What? Waht about all them ese's? They live the through the same shit, sometimes WORSE, than the black rappers you speak of, and they SUCK at rapping.

My point is, you would be mad if Youngstown won becuase they have more black people, right? I mean, why else would you say that? You seem to always associate black with crime, guns, rapping, basketball, football. Yes, there is a reason stereotypes are just that, but folks like you arent helping. How do you NOT see that?

Why dont you just tell me why you dont mind Youngstown winning over Pheonix?

Apr 25, 2002
Jesse fuckin' Rice said:
What? Waht about all them ese's? They live the through the same shit, sometimes WORSE, than the black rappers you speak of, and they SUCK at rapping.
You're absolutely right about their living situation, and as for you thinking they suck at rapping, that's your opinion (that I don't agree with) just like my opinion of the Hindu Mafia Family (that you don't agree with).

Jesse fuckin' Rice said:
My point is, you would be mad if Youngstown won becuase they have more black people, right? I mean, why else would you say that? You seem to always associate black with crime, guns, rapping, basketball, football.
Why would I not associate black people with crime when they are 11% of the US population but 35% of the American prison population?

Why would I not associate black people with basketball when they are 11% of the US population but 88% of the American NBA population?

Why would I not associate black people with football when they are 11% of the US population but 65% of the American NFL population?

Jesse fuckin' Rice said:
Yes, there is a reason stereotypes are just that, but folks like you arent helping.
Who said I was trying to help? I'm not trying to help, I'm trying to show you why these stereotypes are so powerful and why their existence is justified.

This is a tangent. I'll try to connect it all by just getting back to the question you asked: Yes I do think that Youngstown should win over Phoenix b/c it is ghettoer, I hope that is the answer you were looking for.

May 9, 2002
xpanther206 said:
This is a tangent. I'll try to connect it all by just getting back to the question you asked: Yes I do think that Youngstown should win over Phoenix b/c it is ghettoer, I hope that is the answer you were looking for.
If that’s the case, Seattle should be the LAST city in YOUR eyes, to get a My Block show. I mean, Phoenix has a worse crime rate than Seattle. But wait a minute, aren’t there LESS black folks per capita in Phoenix than in Seattle? I’m honestly asking you that. If so, wouldn’t your theory be debunked about black folks and crime?

The fact that you equate good rapping with poverty stricken black males is absolutely appealing. How does that make you look? Do you think every one of your favorite rappers is from "the hood"? Do you honestly think they all pimp hoes, sell crack, and shoot guns??? I sure hope not, otherwise I am going to put the stereotype on you...a stereotype of which is a white male who is infatuated with the "rap way of life" that YOU think exists, when in reality, it is 90% FARCE.

Do you REALLY think all your favorite rappers even do a FRACTION of the shit they say in their rhymes? Even on an underground level, a lot of these cats are LIARS. It is ENTERTAINMENT, dude. Stop equating music with real life.

Are there some real cats that rap? Of course, but that’s a SMALL percentage. You would be awfully surprised if I told you what some of your favorite artists do for a paycheck. UPS anyone?

I thought you would be smarter than that, homie.

Apr 25, 2002
Jesse fuckin' Rice said:
Phoenix has a worse crime rate than Seattle.
Correct.

Jesse fuckin' Rice said:
1) Aren’t there LESS black folks per capita in Phoenix than in Seattle?
2) If so, wouldn’t your theory be debunked about black folks and crime?
1) Yes Seattle is blacker than Phoenix.

2) No, Phoenix is definitely not a convenient argument against geographic determinism when it comes to crime. Crime is highly correlated with blacks & Latinos, not just blacks that are extremely highly correlated with high crime rates.

Phoenix Black + Latino = 47%

Seattle Black + Latino = 15%

If you are offended by the use of race as a correlator, crime is also highly correlated with poverty.

Phoenix Poverty = 17%
Seattle Poverty = 12%

Jesse fuckin' Rice said:
1) Do you think every one of your favorite rappers is from "the hood"?
2) Do you honestly think they all pimp hoes, sell crack, and shoot guns???
1) No. In fact, I am such a big nerd that I actually have a Google Earth file tracking the origins of these guys, right now I've got about 50% of my collection in there. Believe me, I know where these guys are from.

2) No. My favorite example: Crytical working at the Kidd Valley on Capitol Hill.

Jesse fuckin' Rice said:
I sure hope not, otherwise I am going to put the stereotype on you...a stereotype of which is a white male who is infatuated with the "rap way of life" that YOU think exists, when in reality, it is 90% FARCE.
Your stereotype is partially correct and doesn't offend me at all.
I am a white male who is an urban geographer, and therefore one of my favorite recreational and educational pasttimes involves studying/exploring cities. This means everything from the gated communities to the gutter.

So if you want to describe me as a white kid infatuated with the ghetto, you're absolutely correct and I've got no problem with that. I'm infatuated with the city and the ghetto is part of the city. Milwaukee is an absolute playground for this kind of thing compared to Seattle.

Jesse fuckin' Rice said:
Do you REALLY think all your favorite rappers even do a FRACTION of the shit they say in their rhymes?
No. There's even a pretty extensive list of them who have college degrees.

Jesse fuckin' Rice said:
You would be awfully surprised if I told you what some of your favorite artists do for a paycheck.
No I wouldn't.

All in all, I agree with D'Struction, that is a pretty good read. You came off a lot more coherently than you usually do. But no, it wasn't educational for me.

May 9, 2002
xpanther206 said:
All in all, I agree with D'Struction, that is a pretty good read. You came off a lot more coherently than you usually do. But no, it wasn't educational for me.
The rhetoric expressed int his statement is unlawfully and charastically of something you would say....ouch...

I think your full of shit and at the same thime i am not surpriced...truth is a bitch...

Your just another white guy lookin at the hood from the outside on assumptions...

In all honesty, your stats mean 0 in the real world..welcome to it...