VOCODER / ROGER EFFECT

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 12, 2002
Talkbox only, my friend. Roger used a Golden Throat talkbox, which haven't been made since the seventies. DJ Quik and Bosko use a Helis Talkbox. A new one to consider is the Rocktron Banshee, since you don't need to hook up an external amp. I should be getting my Banshee in the mail today. Consequently, anyone wanna give me some help on the synth sound to use? You can find talkboxes at www.americanmusical.com, www.musiciansfriend.com, etc. About $150 for both the Helis and Banshee. BTW, it takes a lot of practice.. Check this thread: http://www.siccness.net/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29359&highlight=talkbox

-=bumpus=-

Aug 12, 2002
Yeah, You're thinking of either Frampton or Walsh. Roger used both a mini-moog (for his first few albums) or a yamaha dx100 (for later ones) as the input to the talkbox.

-=bumpus=-

Apr 25, 2002
Yup, the effect is from the talkbox. Doesn't matter what instrument you play the notes with but it usually is either a keyboard or a guitar.

Roger Troutman and his brother wound up modifying the one they used (with a bigger driver if I remember correctly) and eventually built their own.

@Jaz
What exactly do you need to know about the Banshee?

Jaz

Sicc OG
Jan 2, 2003
man i tried hookin it up following the directions it just didnt work right for me

maybe i was expecting to much.

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
I don't know how u ran into trouble hooking it up...Just hook the out of your keyboard to the in of the talkbox...Make sure that switch isn't pushed in too...

I use the Banshee myself too...Used to have a heil but it's SOOO much easier to not hafta hook up an external amp.

An like Bumpus said...No Vocoder or effect will give you the same results...and don't expect it to be easy either...I've been doin it quite a while and it's an instrument in itself

Aug 12, 2002
I just got it 20 minutes ago and I'm funky already! (yeah right... I'm gonna need some practice). It couldn't have been easier to hook up. Just connect the output of your synth in the input of the Banshee (on the right side). Deep throat the tube and you're in business. If you don't get any sound, hit the bypass button (the big metal one). Keep the gain to almost nilch. Easy as pie.

-=bumpus=-

Apr 26, 2002
I have A vocoder Built into my MS2000, it works nicely. I also Tried the Orange Vocoder Plug-in By Prosoniq. That shit works good as well. It's a Little more comfortable than Deep Throating a Tube LOL!

Aug 12, 2002
You gotta be pretty decent on the keys to begin with. Pronunciation is very difficult. About the only thing that you can understand from me after one day is the part from California Love where Roger says 'In the city.. city of Compton... we keep it rockin'. And finally, you have to be a decent song writer to be able to play the melodies to make the talkbox sound interesting. It all takes cordination and timing as well to know when to begin enunciating a word when you hit a key.

-=bumpus=-

Apr 25, 2002
i have a vocoder on my keyboard...
i will say this...if it's a very hard thing to learn(the talk box) then it isn't like a vocoder...

the vocoder is difficult, i agree...but with the proper annunciation(something i very much need to work at, but it's an attainable goal) and an EAR for melodies(yes an ear...you don't have to be a champion keyboar player to get a good melody...MULTI TRACKIN FOLKS...nothin wrong with it at all)

so i say...get a vocoder

tho i haven't used a talk box...

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Im gonna cop that Banshee, Talk-Box is something worth learning, i've allways been interested in those, I didn't know you could buy them I was actually gonna order all the parts and make one out of an amp. :/

EAT

May 14, 2002
whats the difference between a vocoder and a talk box? Doesn't a vocoder just synthesize your voice? Is a talk box's pitch controlled by your keyboard or your voice?

Aug 12, 2002
For those who don't know here is how a talk box works:

An output of your synth or guitar goes to the input of the talkbox. A speaker inside the talkbox amplifies the sound and sends it thru a peice of plastic tubing that goes into your mouth. What you play on your synth or guitar affects the pitch of the final output. You use your mouth to shape the sound coming in thru the tube into words (remeber, your voice doesn't make any sound.).

A vocoder takes your voice (carrier) and modulates it by some other sound (modulator), usually a synth.

-=bumpus=-