UFC 94 ST. PIERRE VS BJ PENN

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

who will win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Ya but I thought maybe killing Thiago could boost him up, especially after the crowd really cheered for him when he asked if he should get a shot. You know, keep the ball rolling and all that.

May 10, 2002
Not with a popular fighter like Rampage in the waiting.

Assuming Rampage gets by Jardine, if Rashad beats him, the fans will REALLY hate him. You heard how they booed him last night? What did he do to deserve that? lol

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
I thought Nate won the 2nd and 3rd but said before the decision I wouldn't be surprised if the judges gave Guida the 3rd just because lately they always give more points towards takedowns than they do getting back up and avoiding damage, which is dumb but it's just the way they seem to judge it lately. It was split so I wouldn't call it robbed, Guida avoided the subs which was the only way I thought Nate would win so I think he deserved it.

May 17, 2004
diaz should have been more interested in inflicting damage than posing in between rounds. i thought guida won but could have gone either way. robbed is too strong a word in this case.

Jan 2, 2004
I thought Guida won, but could have seen the decision going anyway...

And I think they're handling the title situation correctly.. They're probably hoping Rampage gets the title, because Machida-Rampage is a pretty bankable fight, don't think Machida-Evans is.

I don't think Evans has the drawing power and they want to put him in with a big name..

And I think Evans wanted a pretty good size break. he said he wouldn't have been ready to fight Rampage in March, which is why Rampage got Jardine.

Dec 9, 2005
Serra accused him of greasing too. Greg Jackson wrote it off like he was just massaging him, and happened to have a small trace of Vaseline left on his fingers. Thats bullshit.

Although I don't think it was the sole reason for the outcome of the fight, I definitely don't think its right.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Here's what Greg Jackson says.

In between rounds, [team St. Pierre "witch doctor" Steven Friend] had this little drill that you do — and Phil Nurse is the one who knows how to do it —he showed Phil, and this is what Georges wanted, so we did that...He rubbed your back and tapped your chest; I don’t know exactly how it works. But anyways, what that’s supposed to do is get your energy in line, or motivated or whatever. So in between rounds, we had Phil Nurse do that.

The controversy came because Phil Nurse also was putting Vasoline on Georges’ eyebrows. In between rounds, you always want to put on Vasoline on (a fighter’s face). So Phil Nurse put all the Vasoline on his face, so his hands might have had a miniscule amount left over from that, when he went around the side and rubbed a little point on his back, and tapped on his chest.

At that point, somebody in the audience thought we were greasing George down, and ran over and told the commission that we were greasing his body down. The commission came in and said 'you can’t grease him down'...and Phil’s like, ‘oh, there might be a little on my fingers,' but it wasn’t intentional at all, and of course they wiped it right off and it was gone, so it wasn’t a factor in the fight at all...

If we were trying to grease the back we’d be greasing up and down, we would make it count. We wouldn’t do a little tiny spot in the back. The whole thing doesn’t make any sense, so they were fine with it once we gave our explanation. It wasn’t like we were taking gobs of Vasoline and slathering on his back...

The whole greasing thing is pretty ridiculous. You can’t grease somebody up. You just couldn’t do it. They check your body before you get into the cage, there’s an inspector right there. In order for us to grease him up, it would be insane. There are cameras everywhere. We don’t cheat. We don’t need to cheat to win.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 94 salaries: Georges St. Pierre earns $400K of $1.1 million payroll

With a successful title dense of his UFC welterweight title, Georges St. Pierre took home an event-high $400,000 from this past Saturday's UFC 94 event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

His opponent, B.J. Penn, earned $125,000, and other top earners included Lyoto Machida ($120,000), Karo Parisyan ($80,000) and preliminary-card fighter Jon Fitch ($68,000).

The total disclosed payroll for the event was $1,091,000.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) recently requested and today received the list of disclosed salary figures from the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

The full list of paydays included:

Georges St. Pierre: $400,000 (includes $200,000 win bonus)
def. B.J. Penn: $125,000

Lyoto Machida: $120,000 ($60,000 win bonus)
def. Thiago Silva: $29,000

Jon Jones: $14,000 ($7,000 win bonus)
def. Stephan Bonnar: $22,000

Karo Parisyan: $80,000 ($40,000 win bonus)
def. Dong Hyun Kim: $26,000

Clay Guida: $40,000 ($20,000 win bonus)
def. Nate Diaz: $20,000

Jon Fitch: $68,000 ($34,000 win bonus)
def. Akihiro Gono: $28,000

Thiago Tavares: $26,000 ($13,000 win bonus)
def. Manny Gamburyan: $14,000

John Howard: $6,000 ($3,000 win bonus)
def. Chris Wilson: $15,500

Jake O'Brien: $22,000 ($11,000 win bonus)
def. Christian Wellisch: $12,000

Dan Cramer: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
def. Matt Arroyo: $8,000

All of the night's losing fighters could have doubled their salaries with a victory.

Now, the usual disclaimer: The figures do not include deductions for items such as insurance, licenses and taxes. Additionally, the figures do not include money paid by sponsors, which can oftentimes be a substantial portion of a fighter's income. They also do not include any other "locker room" or special bonuses the UFC oftentimes pays.

In other words, these are simply base salaries reported to the commission and do not reflect entire compensation packages for the event.

Feb 7, 2006
Twelve UFC 94 fighters tapped for fight-night drug testing (Updated)

A total of 12 fighters – including headliners Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn – were selected to undergo drug testing at UFC 94, which took place Jan. 31 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer today emailed the list of fighters to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Results from those tests will be available in the coming weeks.

Others tested include UFC 94 co-headliners Lyoto Machida and Thiago Silva, and undercard winners Clay Guida, Jon Jones, Jake O'Brien, John Howard, Thiago Tavares and Karo Parisyan.

The only UFC 94 winners not tested were Jon Fitch and Dan Cramer. The only losing fighters who didn't compete in the main event or co-main event who were tested were Stephan Bonnar, who failed a drug test in 2006, Nate Diaz.

The NSAC traditionally tests all main-event fighters, all winning competitors, and any fighters who have previously failed drug tests. However, "I like to mix it up every now and then for that very reason: unpredictability," Kizer today said an email to MMAjunkie.com.

The NSAC tests for steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs, as well as drugs of abuse such as cocaine, marijuana and heroin. All of the competitors were tested for both classifications of drugs.

Feb 7, 2006
NSAC issues medical suspensions to five UFC 94 competitors, including B.J. Penn

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has issued five competitors, including headliner B.J. Penn, medical suspensions stemming from this past Saturday's "UFC 94: St. Pierre vs. Penn II" event.

NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer today emailed the list of the walking wounded to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Penn, who suffered a fourth-round TKO to champ Georges St. Pierre in a welterweight title fight, is suspended for precautionary reasons until March 18 with no contact allowed during training until March 3.

Thiago Silva, who suffered a late-first-round TKO to top light-heavyweight contender Lyoto Machida in the night's main event, is also suspended until March 18 with no contact until March 3 for precautionary reasons.

Stephan Bonnar, who suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Jon Jones on the night's televised main card, is suspended until March 3 with no contact until Feb. 22 due to a scalp laceration.

Wannabe "Supreme" Akihiro Gono, who entered the cage in full drag for a pre-fight dance number with his corner men, is suspended until March 3 with no contact until Feb. 22 for precautionary reasons. The suspension followed a unanimous-decision loss to Jon Fitch in the preliminary card's featured bout.

Finally, Chris Wilson, who suffered a split-decision loss to UFC newcomer John Howard in a co-Fight of the Night bout, is suspended until July 31 due to a broken nose. He can be cleared early by a doctor, but he must have no contact during training until March 3 regardless of the doctor's evaluation.

UFC 94 took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The event drew a venue record 14,885 attendees for an approximately $4.3 million gate, which is the sixth largest in UFC history.

Feb 7, 2006
Matt Hughes Says GSP Felt Greasy When They Fought

For better or worse, the hot topic of conversation following what was billed as the biggest fight in Ultimate Fighting Championship history the mega-fight between welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and lightweight champion B.J. Penn has been the use of Vaseline by St. Pierre's cornermen.

Most of the parties involved have commented in one form or another, and the Penn camp is now determining their pursuit of the allegations against St. Pierre. On Tuesday, in his official blog, former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes, who has fought St. Pierre three times, weighed in on some of the UFC 94 bouts, but was most poignant in his comments about St. Pierre feeling greasy when they fought:

"I was also surprised by the final match, I thought B.J. would have put on a better performance. B.J. Penn is coming from a lighter weight class, but he took the fight at 170. Thats the bottom line. I knew it was going to come down to who had the better cardio and even at the end of the first round B.J. looked tired.

Now, on to what everybody is talking about, the greasing. Im not the only one who has said that GSP felt greasy during a fight. I know Matt Serra has mentioned it and, even in their first fight, I think B.J. said something. Im not saying GSP did something wrong and Im not saying that it would have changed any outcomes of any fights; but what I am saying is, for my last two fights against Georges, he felt greasy."

Jan 2, 2004
He probably greases.. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.. But I don't think there's much they can do about it.. This is gonna stick to GSP for the rest of his career now.. He'll always be called a cheater, even though he destroyed Penn anyways because Penn didn't take the fight serious and had no cardio like always.