UFC 94 ST. PIERRE VS BJ PENN

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

who will win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 26, 2002
this matchis gonna be dope january 31 it goes down
no doubt, fight of the decade right here. i gotta go wit bj decision. dont kno tho, VERY hard to call it. standin, i think bj could get the better of gsp. i think gsp will be able to take bj down (despite wut alot of ppl believe), and i think gsp will overpower him. but i think it'll be more of a standup fight and bj will get the better of him to the decision. fold.

Dec 9, 2005
I actually think GSP has the advantage standing up. He's got way more versatility as far as striking goes, and his movement is a lot better, plus he's probably one of the quickest guys in the sport, especially in that division.

I'm taking GSP for the win...in a close but clear decision.

Mar 26, 2006
I voted GSP by KO. I see him outlasting bj thanks to his cardio, and a 3rd or 4th round TKO to strikes.

GSP is going to show bj that weight classes exist for a reason.

Apr 25, 2002
GSP better prepare for a war. If your basing BJ Penns cardio from the last time they fought back when Penn didnt give to shits about cardio conditioning or his bad eating habits, even then Penn was the last person and only person to give him a brutal beatdown in that first round, a round that I had 10 - 8 in favor of Penn. Penn is on a whole nother level now.

This ones a tough one to call, both are great mmartists. I kinna do wanna see a ground game to see who has the better skills. GSP has better wrestling but Penns jits is just too sick right now....

GSP relies on his team to give him a gameplan how to fight his opponents. Penn is just fighter by nature....

Jan 10, 2008
I agree this is going to be a war and i think BJ has more heart. He was handling GSP is the first fight till he gassed. If GSP stops BJ i would be shocked i cant even remember seing BJ hurt in a fight have you?

Feb 7, 2006
Trouble in paradise? B.J. Penn cuts short "UFC Primetime" taping

Despite solid ratings for Spike TV's first installment of the three-part "UFC Primetime: St. Pierre vs. Penn II" series, at least one participant was apparently unhappy with how he was portrayed in the piece.

A source close to the show on Tuesday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) B.J. Penn recently shut down a taping and interview session for the series and no longer wants involved in the project.

Penn was apparently unhappy with how he was portrayed in last week's debut of the series, which hypes a Jan. 31 UFC 94 main event fight between the Hawaiian fighter and UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre.

Penn, the UFC's current lightweight title-holder, looks to become the first-ever UFC fighter to hold two belts simultaneously when he fights for St. Pierre's title at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

"Primetime," a nearly $2 million project that airs in 30-minute blocks on Wednesdays from Jan. 14-28, follows each fighter as he prepares for the fight.

During the Jan. 14 debut, Penn was sometimes portrayed as a fighter who didn't take his training too seriously – a reputation that's long dogged the 30-year-old fighter.

In the latest taping segment for "Primetime," Penn cut short taping just eight minutes into an interview, the source said.

A message left with Penn's publicity representative wasn't immediately returned.

The second installment of "UFC Primetime" airs tonight at 10 p.m. EST/PST on Spike TV.

Last week's "Primetime" debut scored a scored a 0.73 household rating and had an average audience of 880,000 viewers during its initial run at 10 p.m. EST/PST. An immediate replay that aired at 10:30 p.m. EST/PST scored a 0.53 rating with 614,000 viewers.

It currently ranks as the highest-rated "UFC Countdown" show in UFC and Spike TV history.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Dana White's 1/25 video blog from last night's WEC, has a lot of pros making picks for the fight.

Kid was the last person I expected to see on there, would be badass if they could bring him over.

Feb 7, 2006
GSP: I want rematch more than Penn
videolink: http://www.sherdog.com/videos/recent/GSP-I-want-rematch-more-than-Penn-1906
“I’m going to fight him in a way that nobody has fought him before,” UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre says of his rematch with B.J. Penn. “I’m going to break him mentally before he breaks physically.”

The first meeting between the two world-class fighters went to St. Pierre via split decision. Peaks and valleys have followed since that epic showdown in March 2006, but the storyline remains the same.

Make no mistake, Penn and St. Pierre are amongst the finest the sport of mixed martial arts has to offer. When the champions collide Saturday at UFC 84, forget the titles and reputations. It’s man versus man, artist versus artist.

Speaking with Sherdog.com’s Greg Savage in an exclusive video interview, St. Pierre discusses his first duel with Penn and what the second encounter will hold.

Feb 7, 2006
While two belts would be nice, B.J. Penn just focused on win at UFC 94

With a UFC 94 main-event showdown between two of the world's top pound-for-pound fighters just days away, UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn (13-4-1 MMA, 9-3-1 UFC) isn't focused on the opportunity to become the organization's first dual belt-holder.

"The Prodigy" recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he just wants to beat UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre (17-2 MMA, 12-2 UFC).

"[Holding two belts] is a very important accomplishment, but as of now all I'm thinking about is fighting St. Pierre and beating St. Pierre," Penn said. "If I was fighting a lesser opponent and I was going to have the same accomplishment, what would be the point?"

The fight between the two current belt-holders represents a rematch of an epic 2006 bout. While Penn dropped that bout in a razor-thin split decision, Penn said he won't be relying too much on the experience during Saturday's UFC 94 bout at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

"From that fight I realized that Georges has the will to prepare for a fight," Penn said. "With that said, I also have the will to prepare for a fight.

"Honestly, I don't even remember much about that fight. I remember fighting, but as far the techniques go, we're two way different technical fighters. We're going to find out on Jan. 31 where we match up in what areas. Besides that, I'm just pumped for that day. I'm going to kick his ass."

Penn has fought from lightweight all the way up to heavyweight in his eight-year career. But Saturday night's bout with St. Pierre will mark Penn's first trip outside of the lightweight division since a 2006 battle with Matt Hughes. Despite critical depictions of his training process on the Spike TV-broadcast, Penn said his body is well-prepared for the bout.

"I'm at 171 pounds right now," Penn said. "I've been here for about three weeks. This is it. This is my weight, 170 pounds. That's what I am.

"I'm not a 187-pounder trying to make 170 pounds. I'm not a true 155-pounder. I am a 165 to 170-pounder. This is me. This is what I live at."

While many MMA analysts believe Penn performs best when competing at 155 pounds, the 30-year-old said he actually feels most comfortable at welterweight.

"I don't feel I'm at my best at 155 (pounds) because I've got to cut all that water the week of the fight," Penn said. "I don't think that you perform at your best when you cut that kind of weight. St. Pierre says that he cuts 17 pounds the week of the fight, and that guy standing across the ring from him also cut 17 pounds the week of the fight. I'm going to be able to push longer, harder and stronger than he can. I think that will play into my advantage, I believe."

With both fighters bringing a well-rounded, elite-level set of skills to the cage, Penn believes it is the heart of the fighters that will prove the difference.

"Honestly, from the get go, Georges is so good at every area I'm just going to start attacking his heart right off the bat," Penn said. "I'm just going to put him into a fight. We're going to start fighting and we're going to see what's happening.

"It's not like, 'Oh, I'm going to kick his leg because he doesn't think I'm going to kick,' or, 'I'm going to punch and dominate him with my jab.' It's not one of those fights. I'm going to go and I'm going to take this guy out. And when the fight's done, it's done."

Penn's critics have cited the lack of pressure the Hawaiian resident may face in the bout considering his 155-pound belt is not on the line. The lightweight champ scoffed at the notion a loss would have a lessened impact on his career.

"Whoever thinks like that just doesn't know who I am and doesn't know how I think," Penn said. "You think I'm going to go out there to lose a fight and then go home and be like, 'Well, hey, that's great. I still got my lightweight title.' I'm not a pussy. I'm not a [expletive].

"When I'm out there, I'm there to fight and give everything I've got. I'm not one of those kind of guys. That's something a coward would think and a coward would do, and that's not me."

Billed as the "most anticipated rematch in UFC history," the clash between Penn and St. Pierre may very well be exactly that. And while Penn declined to offer his entire gameplan, "The Prodigy" feels confident in predicting the final result.

"I don't know how I'm going to win this fight, but I know I'm going to win."