Thoughts on why no Bay Area artist

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 25, 2003
SUNSHINE CITY,CA
ITS BEEN GOIN ON FOREVER BUT ITS JUST FUNNY 2 ME THAT EVERYBODY AND THEY MAMA HAS SOMETHING 2 SAY ABOUT THE RAP BUSINESS BUT NO ONE HAS A CERTIFICATE....ITS JUST PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE. I JUST WANT 2 SAY THIS....ITS STRICTLY OPINIONS UNLESS U CAN BACC UP WHAT U SAY WITH FACTS.
U KNOW WHAT ELSE IS FUNNY........
THERES ABOUT A MILLION RAPPERS IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW AND I BET U CANT NAME 5 WITH A SOLID DEAL THAT U KNOW PERSONALLY....I'LL WAIT

Mar 11, 2013
ay Killa Teezy, Im wondering, ure with WCM hella long youre part of the history i got almost all your albums on CDs. So im wondering why West Coast Mafia dont care about the members...C-Bo's "Cali Connection" was released by Black Market i can cop it everywhere, the lat one was released by RBC so of course i can buy it everywhere. Im sure its not dat simple but why u cant get that kinda deal?...

Mar 1, 2006
SO I'LL ASK THIS QUESTION ONCE AGAIN???
WHAT ARTISTS DO U KNOW OF WITH DECENT RECORD DEALS???
MAJOR OR MINOR......I'LL WAIT.
Not that I think the question was directed towards me, but I KNOW for a fact that I CANT answer that question, because it's my personal belief that the word "decent" is a relative term when used in that manner. I mean, one man's Heaven is another mans Hell. I'll give you an example...

There's a fisherman sitting in a boat thats tied to a dock, it's early in the afternoon and he's taking a nap cause he's already back from his day of fishing... he has three freshly caught fish in his boat.

Along comes a Tourist. He's says to the Fisherman, "Hey Dude... you should buy another boat and hire one of these guys that's hanging around the docks. That way you guys could catch more fish. Pretty soon you'd have enough money to buy a couple more boats, and you could hire more guys, and that would equal more fish, meaning more money, and so on and so on.... "

"Why would I want to do that?", says the Fisherman. "Cause you'd be catching enough fish to where you could relax all day, and make a decent living Dude!", says the Tourist. "Well... isn't that what I'm ALREADY doing?", says the Fisherman...

My PERSONAL belief is that if the deal allows you to pay all of your bills and take care of your family, & you have enough to pay for your day to day living expenses with some left over for retirement... AND you don't have to bust your back all day? And all you have to do is Rap? Then I'd say thats a pretty good deal...

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2003
SUNSHINE CITY,CA
ay Killa Teezy, Im wondering, ure with WCM hella long youre part of the history i got almost all your albums on CDs. So im wondering why West Coast Mafia dont care about the members...C-Bo's "Cali Connection" was released by Black Market i can cop it everywhere, the lat one was released by RBC so of course i can buy it everywhere. Im sure its not dat simple but why u cant get that kinda deal?...
I COULD HAVE HAD THAT DEAL AND I REALIZE THEY PUT THE MUSIC IN DIFFERENT MARKETS BUT RBC HAS NEVER PAID WEST COAST MAFIA PROPERLY IN MY OPINION SO I WASNT INTERESTED IN RELEASING ANY OF MY PROJECTS THRU THEM. IN MY OPINION THEY MADE A LOT OF BROKEN PROMISES AND TREATED THE HOMIE FUNNYSTYLE WHILE HE WAS INCARCERATED.
WEST COAST MAFIA RECORDS WAS RAN BY PPL I DONT TRUST OR ASSOCIATE WITH. WEST COAST MAFIA IS MY FAMILY. DONT CONFUSE THE 2.
SO AS FAR AS YOUR WEST COAST MAFIA NOT CARING ABOUT THE MEMBERS COMMENT GOES.....I SEE THAT AS JUDGEMENTAL AND I FEEL U SHOULD RESEARCH THINGS BEFORE U SPEAK ON SOMETHING I CREATED LIKE THAT. #WCM

SF TRAXX

Composer / Producer
SO I'LL ASK THIS QUESTION ONCE AGAIN???
WHAT ARTISTS DO U KNOW OF WITH DECENT RECORD DEALS???
MAJOR OR MINOR......I'LL WAIT.
Going back to what I said in my original post, I agree with you. Chances are, if you "need" a record deal its not very likely that it'll be a decent one.

Going forward: (Paraphrasing here)

The reality is that technology always brings in new ways of doing things while at the same time making other things obsolete, which in this case is what we know as the recording music industry and a big reason why getting a deal no longer makes sense.

Back in the day, you needed the majors to increase your level of influence because sound was married to the medium (vinyl, 8 track, cassette) and was regulated by the majors through controlled outlets (commercial radio, physical distribution, retail store) which allowed for a major label controlled music industry to develop and serve out tons of these "raw deals". But once the sound was able to be separated from the medium through digital advancement the distribution middleman was no longer needed and that in turn changed the game and killed the point of "needing" a major label record deal.

----> Now we're in the NICHE MARKET era where you no longer have to look to these labels as a shortcut to success to "get on" because artists can now create their "own industry" online, they can create their own fans, build their own buzz and create multiple revenue streams while retaining the ownership of their music. They can create major success on an independent level.

Most artists don't want to hear this tho because they want a shortcut to success.
They still want the labels to save them..

$.02

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2013
I COULD HAVE HAD THAT DEAL AND I REALIZE THEY PUT THE MUSIC IN DIFFERENT MARKETS BUT RBC HAS NEVER PAID WEST COAST MAFIA PROPERLY IN MY OPINION SO I WASNT INTERESTED IN RELEASING ANY OF MY PROJECTS THRU THEM. IN MY OPINION THEY MADE A LOT OF BROKEN PROMISES AND TREATED THE HOMIE FUNNYSTYLE WHILE HE WAS INCARCERATED.
WEST COAST MAFIA RECORDS WAS RAN BY PPL I DONT TRUST OR ASSOCIATE WITH. WEST COAST MAFIA IS MY FAMILY. DONT CONFUSE THE 2.
SO AS FAR AS YOUR WEST COAST MAFIA NOT CARING ABOUT THE MEMBERS COMMENT GOES.....I SEE THAT AS JUDGEMENTAL AND I FEEL U SHOULD RESEARCH THINGS BEFORE U SPEAK ON SOMETHING I CREATED LIKE THAT. #WCM
Nah I realy didnt mean to hurt nobody, i was just pissed off lol. Cause i wanna see more Killa Tay music in stores thats all. But now i see clearly whats realy goin on and how it looks. I wish WCM and Gorilla Gang all the best ..

SF TRAXX

Composer / Producer
the rap game is SATURATED.... that's why nobody can move up the ladder in the bay area...
Although I do agree that excessive competition creates an additional challenge, it also makes for a convenient excuse for half ass hustlin too though.. #jusSayin

(I'm gonna paraphrase again:)

The truth is that for a new artist to move to the forefront in today's "saturated" climate (regardless on where they're from) they have to bring something to the table that's meaningful, touches nerves, becomes a theme song to people's daily ups and downs and bring skills to the table that go beyond the average in order to separate themselves from the masses...

This in turn will create an authentic demand for their music and through a combination of tech-savvy-viral marketing and traditional promotion hopefully translates into a core audience that may actually purchase their product (CD, MP3, live show ticket, t-shirts, etc...) and support them on their way up.

With that said, these cats who desire to be on top are also going to have to start approaching the game as businessmen or find themselves a trustworthy business partner if all they can do is bring the talent.

$.02

Jul 29, 2009
East Palo Alto, Ca
Although I do agree that excessive competition creates an additional challenge, it also makes for a convenient excuse for half ass hustlin too though.. #jusSayin

(I'm gonna paraphrase again:)

The truth is that for a new artist to move to the forefront in today's "saturated" climate (regardless on where they're from) they have to bring something to the table that's meaningful, touches nerves, becomes a theme song to people's daily ups and downs and bring skills to the table that go beyond the average in order to separate themselves from the masses...

This in turn will create an authentic demand for their music and through a combination of tech-savvy-viral marketing and traditional promotion hopefully translates into a core audience that may actually purchase their product (CD, MP3, live show ticket, t-shirts, etc...) and support them on their way up.

With that said, these cats who desire to be on top are also going to have to start approaching the game as businessmen or find themselves a trustworthy business partner if all they can do is bring the talent.

$.02
off subject, heard your beats before, youre badass bro, looking forward to using one of your beats for my next project

Apr 28, 2003
The Bay Area? The Rap "game" is damn near dead, period. I don't see why anyone (especially anyone black) would want to be a rapper these days. The white hipster rappers who go to college and rap for fun have videos on youtube with anywhere from a hundred thousand to a million views, while black rappers barely get a thousand (if they're lucky). LOL Stick to school black people.

Gangsta rap is dead and now they're promoting guys like Macklemore as the face of "alternative rap" to push at the forefront. A bunch of emasculated, effimnate, girl friendly, boy rappers. If you ain't transgender or bisexual, good luck with that rap career. LMAO

Niggas got no one to blame but themselves, you had something good and you fucked it off. Should have listened to Chuck D and KRS instead of supporting the culture vultures, the "huslters" and "gangstas" who weren't about the culture.

SF TRAXX

Composer / Producer
(Allow me to paraphrase again)

I don't see why anyone (especially anyone black) would want to be a rapper these days...
1 word: Dreams

Dreams are what fuel the drive and give purpose to the commitment. The problem with approaching a business environment with this angle is that it is easily exploited. [ shady record deals / producers giving out free beats, etc. ]

The white hipster rappers who go to college and rap for fun have videos on youtube with anywhere from a hundred thousand to a million views, while black rappers barely get a thousand (if they're lucky). LOL Stick to school black people.
Do you honestly believe this?
This site tells me otherwise.

Gangsta rap is dead and now they're promoting guys like Macklemore as the face of "alternative rap" to push at the forefront. A bunch of emasculated, effimnate, girl friendly, boy rappers. If you ain't transgender or bisexual, good luck with that rap career. LMAO
This is just part of the evolution of rap. [We] used music as the vehicle to talk to each other about what's going on in our part of the world and now the Internet has allowed everybody into the party.

Niggas got no one to blame but themselves, you had something good and you fucked it off. Should have listened to Chuck D and KRS instead of supporting the culture vultures, the "huslters" and "gangstas" who weren't about the culture.
Aint nuthin fcuked off. The Bay Independents have always made money and will continue to make money they're just going to have to diversify their approach so it matches the current trends.

And let me add that contrary to popular belief, hip hop is no longer regionally driven, its a per artist situation. In order to move forward we're gon have to let that go. Look around. Take for example Macklemore's success. Its not a reflection of a Washington hip hop scene that's 'killing the game', its just Macklemore and that's it. Those days are gone now [which has been hard for some to swallow] because Hip Hop has been consolidated into basically one or two styles and it doesn't matter the region...

The bay can rise again but the local scene definitely has to start from ground up again with the goal of being self-sustained with the occasional break through. We need to stop looking for others to 'put us on' and instead need to focus on re-establishing and supporting our local scene [once again] on an independent level.

$.02

BOLO

FRISCO TO SAC IM AT THAT
Aug 27, 2002
all these excuses man. i aint no hater i LOVE the bay and our music and musical history especially in this rap shit...but cmon bay area rap is damn near at a low point right now...all time low...and none of these weak acts out here could even handle going major except for a chosen few....u dont even have to be major to get love and have your music known and respected...u just gotta make slap and be willing to take it there should major labels come calling...what we lack is slap overall...sure your fave bay rapper has gas...to you...but do he make a slap for the radio? is his music of a high caliber??? bay niggas finally in denial we need to keep growing and doing our thing but also the rappers gotta TRY to make a hit...