Thoughts on why no Bay Area artist

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 4, 2005
IMO there are two major problems with the bay and mainstream success.

1. Its the home of the independent hustle, artists are less likely to take slave contracts meaning record companies will make less money on them and so not invest as much. Alot of bay artists have been offered or have actually had deals with major record deals.

2. The Bay has no easily identifiable selling point or style that the masses wish to hear. The biggest consistent thing to come out of the bay has actually been conscious rap however everyone and their mum wants to do mob music. The west sprang to fame on controversy, gangs and G-Funk, east coast pure lyrics and beats and later on flashy lifestyle tracks. South used crunk as a platform even though they have many other styles they were trying before they got attention.

The bay had two ways into mainstream i think they should have stuck with, conscious/ghetto life rap and hyphy but blew them both mainly because everyone was thinking short term and being selfish. Admittedly conscious rap has always had a smaller market and according to many bay artists record companies tried to shut it down in favour of sexplotaion and gangsta tracks. That didn't stop some of bay artists having gold and platinum hits or have critical acclaim such as E-40, C-Bo, 4-Tay, Spice One, The Coup, Zion I, Too Short, Askari X, 2Pac, Hieroglphics etc.

The bay has no identity to those who don't already listen to Bay music, almost everyone is mobbing, smoking weed and selling coke, these are things that other areas have already established their dominance in.

Just my 2 cents/rant

DODE

Sicc OG
Dec 30, 2011
there have been bay artists to top billboard and to make good money off 1 or 2 songs but thats about as far as it goes.

n2deep back to the hotel topped billboard back in the day.
luniz i got 5 on it.
too short i believe did.
dru down pimp of the year.
there are more, but its all shit from the 90's etc.

Dec 14, 2011
No, sir, friend.

The biggest problem the bay has... Is the bay does NOT know how to capitalize off of buzz.. every rapper that gets a shot to do something always ends up blowing it.. you have to be quick to capitalize on shit these days too... because cats WILL imitate your shit (especially in the bay) which devalues whatever originality you built up. The Hyphy movement is a PERFECT example of that...

The bay has no identity to those who don't already listen to Bay music, almost everyone is mobbing, smoking weed and selling coke, these are things that other areas have already established their dominance in.
The Mobb sound is unique to the bay, sir.. the problem is the influence isn't coming from the bayanymore. The "new" mobb music.. sounds more like "trap" music. Hyphy (even tho it was short lived) started out original and unique... but then quickly devolved into a generic "crunk" and "snap" music/ATL sound.

The real artist need to stop giving all these leech ass copycat rappers a pass or a chance to pop up in the first place.

Mr G

Drunk Pot-Head
Apr 4, 2007
Las Vegas
Having to google sage the gemini makes your argument invalid.
lol. you having to google the name doesnt change his sales...
which i kind of think your fronting cuz his videos all over t.v and songs all
over the radio waves... i doubt he aint getting no play in OR..
you mus have ZERO females in or around your life to have never heard gas pedal or red nose.. every time i go have a drink or go shopping that shits playin... come on bruh you sound more gay then cool..

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
2pac came up rapping in the bay area, if he isnt a bay area artist neither is Shock G, or Too Short.

May 9, 2002
lol. you having to google the name doesnt change his sales...
which i kind of think your fronting cuz his videos all over t.v and songs all
over the radio waves... i doubt he aint getting no play in OR..
you mus have ZERO females in or around your life to have never heard gas pedal or red nose.. every time i go have a drink or go shopping that shits playin... come on bruh you sound more gay then cool..
Im in WA, and i dont know who this Sage guy is either. I dont listen to radio though so maybe that plays a part in it.

Just becuase they play it in the Bay, doesnt mean they play it everywhere else.