The Recommend A Foreign Movie Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 17, 2007
This movie right here is the fuckin shit. Just watched it last night. Tony Ja is hella crazy. Dude is ill with the elbows. Gotta watch it with the Thai language tho and english subtitles.
They tried to Dubb English voices over it, just wasn't the same, i had to switch the set up to the original. Way better.

Nov 14, 2002
I picked up a short-film collection called 3 Extremes a while back. It's three different stories from three different directors each from a different part of Asia. One story, called "Dumplings" has women eating magic dumplings made of a special ingredient to keep looking young. Another called "Final Cut" has a director being tortured by an extra he's ignored for years, and the final one "The Box" involves a story based on two contortionist sisters and their circus act.

All these stories are FUUUUUUCKED up. They're all subtitled, but the writing is done so well that you don't tend to mind. They're all about half hour to fourty five mins long so you're also not sitting there reading for two straight hours if you don't want to.

There's also a sequel out I have yet to see.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
I picked up a short-film collection called 3 Extremes a while back. It's three different stories from three different directors each from a different part of Asia. One story, called "Dumplings" has women eating magic dumplings made of a special ingredient to keep looking young. Another called "Final Cut" has a director being tortured by an extra he's ignored for years, and the final one "The Box" involves a story based on two contortionist sisters and their circus act.

All these stories are FUUUUUUCKED up. They're all subtitled, but the writing is done so well that you don't tend to mind. They're all about half hour to fourty five mins long so you're also not sitting there reading for two straight hours if you don't want to.

There's also a sequel out I have yet to see.
I only watched dumplings. The movies were also released seperatly but I would recommend to watch them in that package, as the movie by itself was too long...

Nov 14, 2002
^^That's true. I don't think I ever got through the full version. Maybe I should, but honestly my favorite was "Cut" anyhow. You'll actually laugh at the a few times even though the story involves torture and dismemberment at times.

The dvd I bought had the full version of Dumplings on one disc with a commentary (subtitled), and the other two shorts on disc 2 along with the short version of Dumplings.

Nov 14, 2002
I thought Nightwatch was a great movie, then when I watched it again later that night I decided it was ridiculous. LoL. Never got around to Daywatch.

Mar 18, 2003
Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain
The Fabulous Destiny of Amélie Poulain

I had such high expectations for this movie, more so than any film I can remember (mistake on my part), and while the film was good, really good, it somehow fell short of my expectations. I think I assumed the movie would be an all-time favorite and took for granted the intricacies of watching a movie such as this without really expecting anything. I believe I "ruined" it (not getting the full effect) for myself. But don't let that deter you from checking it out.

When you watch it you will not be able to take your eyes off of Amélie Poulain (Audrey Tautou) as she is beyond interesting with both her looks (yes, she would get it) and tendancies. Also Jamel Debbouze is a fantastic actor, though he has only a limited role. It has quite the original story as well; it definitely falls under the catagory of "romantic-comedy" but is far beyond any American movie under the same genre (minus esotsm). The music in the movie is also very well put together. I wish I had watched this before reading up on it. I'm gonna watch it again in about a week or so after it all completely sinks in and we'll see how I feel then.

8.5/10

1God

Sicc OG
Feb 9, 2010
Life Is Beautiful - An Italian movie about a Jewish family in a concentration camp. Amazing film.

Pretty Village, Pretty Flame - Another war movie, except this one takes place in the 90s Yugoslav war.

Das Boot - Okay, I swear it's just a coincidence that all three picks are war films. That's not even my favorite genre, but foreigners seem to make the best war movies. This one's German.

1God

Sicc OG
Feb 9, 2010
OOOH! HERE'S A CRAZY FUCKIN' MOVIE!! It's called "The Good, The Bad, And The Weird". It's a (Korean?) version of Clint Eastwood's classic, but it does not follow the story line at all. It's full of action and brilliantly filmed. Definitely one of my fav. foreign films EVER! Google it!

Crazy shit goes on, like hijacking and having shootouts in trains, shootouts in little towns, shootouts in huts, shootouts in the desert. Fucking everywhere!

Nov 17, 2002
www.facebook.com
OOOH! HERE'S A CRAZY FUCKIN' MOVIE!! It's called "The Good, The Bad, And The Weird". It's a (Korean?) version of Clint Eastwood's classic, but it does not follow the story line at all. It's full of action and brilliantly filmed. Definitely one of my fav. foreign films EVER! Google it!

Crazy shit goes on, like hijacking and having shootouts in trains, shootouts in little towns, shootouts in huts, shootouts in the desert. Fucking everywhere!
I saw this not too long ago. It was cool. I'm a fan of Song Kang-Ho. He's awesome. He's "The Weird" in that movie. Here are a few other movies he's in:

Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance
Sympathy For Lady Vengeance (small cameo)
Memories Of Murder
Joint Security Area (JSA)
The Foul King
The Host
Secret Sunshine
Thirst

Those are the ones I've seen, at least.

Nov 17, 2002
www.facebook.com
I just watched Sharkskin Man & Peach Hip Girl, that movie was pretty funny, I enjoyed it.

I still gotta see ichi the killer
It just looks like you're an Asano Tadanobu fan. ;)

Although it's a bit more on the artsy side, I really like the movie Vital, which also stars him. Vital is directed by Tsukamoto Shinya, who makes some pretty wild stuff: Tetsuo: The Ironman, Tokyo Fist, Bullet Ballet. Tsukamoto's also an actor; he plays Jiijii on Ichi The Killer, for instance.

*edit: one more thing I forgot to mention: Bright Future. Another good movie starring Asano. It's more of a straight-forward drama, though.

Nov 17, 2002
www.facebook.com
This movie right here is the fuckin shit. Just watched it last night. Tony Ja is hella crazy. Dude is ill with the elbows. Gotta watch it with the Thai language tho and english subtitles.
They tried to Dubb English voices over it, just wasn't the same, i had to switch the set up to the original. Way better.

Ong Bak 3 will continue the story of part 2:

For me, Ong Bak 2 was weak in story. I mean, the first Ong Bak didn't have the greatest story, but it wasn't trying to be more than what it was. With Ong Bak 2, it seemed like they were trying to tell a more epic tale, but their reach exceeded their grasp. Still, the fight scenes in 2 are alone worth picking this up. I can't wait for 3.

May 27, 2009
I saw this video of a press event for Ong Bak. Dude actually ran on the shoulders of these 5 or 6 people in his entourage.

I thought it was all harnesses and shit when I first saw it. Nope, he actually does that shit.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
It just looks like you're an Asano Tadanobu fan. ;)

Although it's a bit more on the artsy side, I really like the movie Vital, which also stars him. Vital is directed by Tsukamoto Shinya, who makes some pretty wild stuff: Tetsuo: The Ironman, Tokyo Fist, Bullet Ballet. Tsukamoto's also an actor; he plays Jiijii on Ichi The Killer, for instance.

*edit: one more thing I forgot to mention: Bright Future. Another good movie starring Asano. It's more of a straight-forward drama, though.
fasho, I'mma check some out....

Jan 9, 2009
bump.

JUST FINISHED RED CLIFF PT 2... EPIC FILM. EPIC FILM, BRAH.

lui bei, cao cao and all the rest of the characters from that game Dynasty Warriors are in this movie. never knew they were real people haha whodathunkit

May 9, 2002
I saw this not too long ago. It was cool. I'm a fan of Song Kang-Ho. He's awesome. He's "The Weird" in that movie. Here are a few other movies he's in:

Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance
Sympathy For Lady Vengeance (small cameo)
Memories Of Murder
Joint Security Area (JSA)
The Foul King
The Host
Secret Sunshine
Thirst

Those are the ones I've seen, at least.
Song Kang-Ho is the biggest actor in Korea.