**The Official SF Giants Off-Season Thread**

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
According to manager Bruce Bochy, Todd Wellemeyer and rookie Madison Bumgarner will battle it out to be the team's fifth starter during spring training.
Not a huge surprise. We don't doubt that the Giants will give the 20-year-old Bumgarner an opportunity in good faith during spring training, but chances are they start him in Triple-A for at least a couple months in order to delay his service time. There's conflicting opinions on this, so depending on how Wellemeyer fares, talent could outweigh restraint.

Aaron Rowand reported to camp 10 pounds lighter than last season after 2200 miles of cycling in Nevada's Red Rock country, reports Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News.
All the cycling the world won't bring him back to Philadelphia. Rowand has batted just .251/.266/.329 with 28 home runs over his first two seasons in San Francisco. He's still a valued contributor on defense and could lead off for the Giants this season. To his credit, he batted .294/.341/.468 in 201 at-bats out of the leadoff spot last season.

Travis Ishikawa has two partially torn ligaments in his left foot, reports Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News.
He suffered the injury while slipping on some stairs three weeks ago. As a result, he is currently hitting with a walking boot. Baggarly reports that surgery is possible on the foot, but not likely. Showing that he could play some outfield would further justify him being on the roster to start the season, so this situation warrants some monitoring.

Freddy Sanchez said Wednesday that he is ahead of schedule in his recovery from offseason shoulder surgery.
Sanchez underwent a procedure in late December and was given an initial recovery time of eight weeks. But he had a setback in late January and now it's not clear if he will be ready by Opening Day. The 31-year-old second baseman finished the 2009 season with a .293/.326/.416 batting line, seven home runs and 41 RBI.

Manager Bruce Bochy clarified recent reports that top prospect Buster Posey would get some looks as an infielder, telling Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News that "he's a catcher."
Bochy simply wants him to take a few grounders at first base in an effort to keep his legs fresh, effectively downplaying recent whispers that he could even get a look at shortstop. Posey, who turns 23 in March, looks bound for Triple-A Fresno for the early part of the 2010 season with Bengie Molina re-signed as the team's starting backstop.

The Giants and second baseman Freddy Sanchez have a difference of opinion on why his shoulder surgery was kept quiet, according to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News.
Originally the team said it was Sanchez's request, but Baggarly reports that the team made the decision because they were in negotiations with free agent utility man Juan Uribe. If Uribe's agent was aware of the surgery, he likely would have attempted to squeeze more money out of the Giants. Uribe ended up re-signed with the Giants for $3 million, a pretty nice deal considering how the market has played out for other veteran infielders. Either way, it worked in the Giants' favor. As for Sanchez, he’s ahead in his rehab schedule, but isn't sure whether he will be ready for the start of the season.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Lincecum throws a curve; the anonymous life of a middle reliever; and a tattoo the Mahatma would have been proud of

Notes from Giants camp today:

The first workout of spring was relatively short, where the most action involved a long batting-practice flyball that nearly drilled a group of pitchers who were running on the warning track. It had no chance to hit Jeremy Affeldt as he huffed and puffed behind the other runners. Said Affeldt, "See, that's why we run slower."

Tim Lincecum threw off a mound for the first time since last season. Behind the dish was catching prospect Johnny Monell. Most pitchers begin with some light warmup tosses. Not Lincecum. He fired one in there.

"That first ball he threw, I think he woke the catcher up," manager Bruce Bochy said. "He thought Timmy was going to lob it in there. He let it go."

Lincecum also impressed Bochy with his curveball. Lincecum wants to add the pitch more consistently to his repertoire, not the hard curve in the dirt that he threw his first year in the bigs, but more of a get-it-over curve.

Lincecum talked this morning about his two-year, $23 million contract, and the arbitration process he narrowly averted. All that stuff will be in my story for tomorrow. The main point, though, was that Lincecum said he was "completely happy" with the deal he got.

As for the two Cy Young trophies that sat in his car a couple of weeks back, he said he gave one to his dad. "The other one is floating around somewhere," he said. "I heard it's safe."

-----

This offseason, the Giants tried to re-up season-ticket holders who canceled by having players call them on the phone. One reliever dialed his first number. He said, "Hello, this is Brandon Medders." The voice on the other end of the line said, "Who?"

At FanFest, most players were given a stack of cards bearing their pictures to sign at the autograph stations. Medders' cards were blank.

"That puts you in your place right there," Medders said with a smile. "It lets you know where you stand."

He was kidding. He knows he is an integral part of the bullpen and said he was "super-stoked" to return for a second season in San Francisco. While his good friend Justin Miller was not offered arbitration, became a free agent and signed a minor-league deal with the Dodgers, Medders was offered arbitration and signed an $820,000 deal before any hearing.

Medders, who turned 30 on Jan. 26, had a 3.01 ERA in 61 games for the Giants last season.

-----

Medders and Miller became inseparable last spring as they sat at adjoining lockers. You might remember Miller was famous for the dozens of tattoos that adorned his body. This spring, Emmanuel Burriss has Miller's old locker. He also has two new tattoos, his first stab at body art.

On the inside of Burriss' right arm are an image of the District of Columbia flag and a saying attributed to Mahatma Gandhi. It says, "Learn like you will live forever and live like you will die tomorrow."

Burriss was concerned how his parents would react. He hadn't told them about his tattoos yet. But Mr. and Mrs. Burriss, if you're reading this, consider that he chose the words of a great man of peace rather than song lyrics that cannot be played on network television, as many athletes do.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Bengie Molina could receive fewer starts this season, reports Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News.
It would cost him. Baggarly was able to track down some details of his one-year, $4.5 million contract and they are quite interesting. Molina is on tap to earn a $250,000 bonus for his 90th start at catcher, and additional $250,000 for every five games he starts beyond that, capping at 115 games. The six bonuses add up to $1.5 million – which could bring the total worth of his contract to $6 million, matching his contract from last season. It's no coincidence that by his 90th start, top prospect Buster Posey figures to be up from Triple-A Fresno.

Longer article:

SPRING NOTES: Cutting back Bengie Molina’s playing time would dent more than his pride

We already knew the Buster Posey-Bengie Molina dynamic would rank as perhaps the most sensitive subject in Giants camp this spring.

Well, it just got touchier. That’s because money is involved – a lot of it.

Manager Bruce Bochy acknowledged today that Posey is likely headed to Triple-A Fresno to begin the season, but the skipper also is on record detailing plans to give Molina fewer starts at catcher in 2010. Bochy said he was guilty last season of “overplaying” Molina, who missed a crucial week in September with a sore hamstring and finished with 120 starts.

And as I discovered today, even a small reduction in playing time could take a lot of money out of Molina’s pocket.

That’s because the veteran catcher has significant incentives built into his $4.5 million contract. He’d earn a $250,000 bonus for his 90th start at catcher, and additional $250,000 payouts for each five games he starts beyond that, maxing out at 115 games. That’s six triggers worth $1.5 million – which could bring his total earnings to $6 million.

(It bears mention that his contract language is very specific: He doesn’t get credit for games caught. He has to start behind the plate. And starts at any other position, including DH, obviously wouldn’t count, either.)

Perhaps not coincidentally, $6 million matches Molina’s base salary from last season. And several times last summer, he said he didn’t think it would be fair to take a pay cut after all the Giants organization has asked of him.

Of course, this is spring training, and everyone is saying the right things. Molina is, too. He even talked in non-specific terms about the incentives while chatting with reporters Thursday, saying he could start fewer games and still max out his bonuses.

But not by much, it turns out.

Asked about starting fewer games, Molina described his outlook thusly:

“If he checks with me and I say I’m OK to go, why get a day off, you know what I mean? But I’ve never been opposed to what Bochy says, never.”

Now, a lot can happen between now and September. One lengthy DL stint could ensure this never becomes a simmering issue. But anyway, there it is.

–I’ve assumed all along that Posey would begin the season in the minor leagues, regardless of recent talk about letting him be a big league backup, taking grounders at first base, etc.

I just kept flashing back to GM Brian Sabean’s comment prior to the winter meetings, shortly after he went around the organizational roundtable, and said, “our overall conclusion from a baseball standpoint is [that] nobody thinks he’s ready to catch 100-plus games in the big leagues.”

You don’t really backtrack from a statement like that.

That stated, Posey’s swing really is a thing of beauty. It’s got so little effort and yet the ball jumps off his bat. Watching him take BP today, he showed terrific bat control while working pitches to right field. Then he turned so easily on a pitch and sent a high drive that bounced on the berm beyond the left field fence. Power and bat control is such an awesome combination.

Could Bochy be swayed if Posey hits .420 this spring? Doesn’t sound like it.

“A lot of guys hit .420 down here,” Bochy said. “(Jesus) Guzman hit more like .880. (Spring numbers) could play a part, but sometimes it doesn’t really matter what you do here. I’m not saying that’s the case with Buster, but you can also get fooled. A lot of guys from winter ball are game ready. With the hard fields and the wind blowing out, the numbers can fool you sometimes.”

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Head trainer Dave Groeschner called Pablo Sandoval's diet-and-exercise program "a work in progress," according to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle.
"He didn't have a huge setback," Groeschner said, "but he didn't have an advancement." Sandoval's desired weight is believed to be around 250 pounds, but early reports from camp suggest he's nowhere near that amount. Sandoval lost 12 pounds during an intensive training session in November, but his progress stalled after reporting for winter ball in Venezuela.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Nate Schierholtz hopes to have a better approach at the plate this season.
"Last year, I was in and out of the zone so quick," said Schierholtz. "If I wasn't right on the pitch, I wasn't making good contact. I feel I've got a better idea of how to do that." In turn, Schierholtz hopes to be more selective at the plate this season. He has also altered his swing, dropping his elbow and flattening his swing path, something he copied from watching Pablo Sandoval. The 26-year-old is the presumptive favorite to play right field for the Giants this season after batting .267/.302/.400 with five home runs and 29 RBI in 285 at-bats in '09.

Sep 25, 2005
Who's faster out of Lewis and Schierholtz? i got Schierholtz.. inside the park homer last season i believe.. i could be wrong but off top thats what i remember.
inside the parker doesnt mean he is super fast..........it just means the right things happend.....good bounce, player dove and missed....ect...........

i would say lewis is faster

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
According to Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse, Rich Aurilia will retire if he does not have a job by the end of spring training.
The 38-year-old Aurilia was limited to just 60 games last season due to an ankle injury, batting .213/.256/.279 with two homers and 16 RBI in 122 at-bats. He has a .275/.328/.433 batting line over 15 major league seasons. Aurilia is still actively seeking work, but we don't see it happening if a team hasn't invited him to camp by now.

An MRI confirmed that Travis Ishikawa will not need surgery on his left foot.
Ishikawa suffered two partially torn ligaments in his left foot while slipping on some stairs four weeks ago. While he doesn't need surgery, he'll have to stay in a walking boot for another week. He's unlikely to participate in at least the early part of the Cactus League schedule.

Pablo Sandoval will wear prescription goggles this season.
Sandoval was diagnosed with diminished vision in his left eye last November. He started wearing the new shades during his recent stint in the Venezuelan Winter League. Kung-Fu Panda batted .395 during 20 regular season games and slugged five homers during the postseason. "I can see the ball better. It's clearer," said Sandoval. Needless to say, National League pitchers are thrilled with this development.

prodigy91

@jordvnxsf
Mar 20, 2008
SF
Pablo Sandoval will wear prescription goggles this season.
Sandoval was diagnosed with diminished vision in his left eye last November. He started wearing the new shades during his recent stint in the Venezuelan Winter League. Kung-Fu Panda batted .395 during 20 regular season games and slugged five homers during the postseason. "I can see the ball better. It's clearer," said Sandoval. Needless to say, National League pitchers are thrilled with this development.
lol

Sep 25, 2005
the question was simple...somthing along the lines of who is faster?......i simply answered the question......lol at he is garbage.....but Urube is great....lol......ill take Lewis over Uribe all day

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
^^^So what if lewis is fast if he cant hit and get on base? he also cant field for shit. Uribe isnt spectacular but at least hes does his job-be a good utility man and provide some pop in the batting order.