THE OFFICIAL NFL OFF-SEASON TRANSACTIONS THREAD

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
holmes for a 5th rounder seems cheap but hes far from consistint, coming into the last year of his contract and seems to be getting in more and more trouble.....Jets are making moves but they are risky, Cromartie is extremly over-hyped and just because hes going to be in a rex ryan defense doesnt mean hes going to go back to his spectacular "numbers" year.....

remember you never win a championship threw FA/Trades...i think Rex is getting trigger happy because he got tot he AFC champ with a rookie qb and expectations are high in the biggest sports market in the world to produce some hardware...i hope it all blows up in the fat mutha fuckers faces personally

Aug 9, 2006
Holmes had his best year as a pro last year. WTF are you talking about being inconsistent. 79 receptions and over 1300 yards seems pretty consistent to me. For a fifth rounder, that is a steal. As of now, the Jets are my pick to represent the AFC in the superbowl. But that is not saying much because it is only April.
one "good/great year" doesnt mean your consistent...it was his only year over 1000 yards and hes never had a 100 reception season or a 10 td catch season...hes playing with a top 5 qb in a scheme that has progressivly got more and more pass friendly with all the injurys at rb...holmes was drafted to be a star wideout and return man.....hes not a top 10 WR IMO, not a top 15 Return man...he had an above average season being the go to guy with Ward being injured off and on in the season..i agree its a "steal" for a 5th round pick..but everyone jumping on the jets bandwagon because of this makes me laugh...people forget how bad mark sanchez looked against good teams..

Stealth

May 8, 2002
one "good/great year" doesnt mean your consistent...it was his only year over 1000 yards and hes never had a 100 reception season or a 10 td catch season...hes playing with a top 5 qb in a scheme that has progressivly got more and more pass friendly with all the injurys at rb...holmes was drafted to be a star wideout and return man.....hes not a top 10 WR IMO, not a top 15 Return man...he had an above average season being the go to guy with Ward being injured off and on in the season..i agree its a "steal" for a 5th round pick..but everyone jumping on the jets bandwagon because of this makes me laugh...people forget how bad mark sanchez looked against good teams..
Not trying to hate, but this is a classic example of somebody who follows stats and doesn't actually watch the player (I'm guilty of that at times too). Yes, last season was his only 1000 yard season. But that doesn't make him inconsistent. If you'd watch every snap he played in the NFL, you would know that he really is something special. He's a game breaker, a big playmaker, and he came to play week after week.

Mar 12, 2010
adding holmes with edwards and LT and cromartie a few weeks ago the jets are making moves this off season either they are going to be really good or just might impolde

Aug 9, 2006
just because your a game breaker and big playmaker (which id lump into the same category) and you got heart to play week after week doesnt make you consistint, just like stats alone dont....ive had the sunday ticket every year that holmes has been in the nfl, granted i havent seen "every" play but im not a stats "guru" ethier...hes been completely shut down by sum midlevel press coverage DB...

Mar 12, 2010
LT IMHO is going to have one helluva year with a coach that loves to run the ball and a kick ass line. norv likes to see the ball in the air ryan likes to pound it between the tackles i think LT may feel like he has something to prove nothing like a big name player with a chip on his shoulder

Jazzo

Master of Debauchery
Aug 18, 2003
Off the Grid
I wonder if they also did this to give Limas Sweed more playing time or if he's just considered a bust. Yo, where's Jazzo?
Jazzo's right here... I don't really come into the Sports Forum much this time of the non-football season. Like I have always said before, WR's are way overrated and are easily replaceable. I have always trusted the Rooney's judgement on issues like this, because they have proven to make the right decisions most of the time. I hope Holmes straightens up for his own sake so he doesn't end up like Plaxico Burress did recently...

Stealth

May 8, 2002
just because your a game breaker and big playmaker (which id lump into the same category) and you got heart to play week after week doesnt make you consistint, just like stats alone dont....ive had the sunday ticket every year that holmes has been in the nfl, granted i havent seen "every" play but im not a stats "guru" ethier...hes been completely shut down by sum midlevel press coverage DB...
When every week, you make one big play (first down, touch down, etc.) that changes the game, you are, by definition, a consistent football player. And he makes more than one big play per game. He was the difference maker in a LOT of games last season. Our record would have been about 4-12 without him on the field. He stepped it up when necessary. Consistently.

Would you rather have a receiver on your team that puts up 1000 yards a season and your team is 2-14; or wouldyou rather have a receiver that puts up 750 yards, but every play he's involved in is a game changer? That's Santonio Holmes.

Jazzo

Master of Debauchery
Aug 18, 2003
Off the Grid
When every week, you make one big play (first down, touch down, etc.) that changes the game, you are, by definition, a consistent football player. And he makes more than one big play per game. He was the difference maker in a LOT of games last season. Our record would have been about 4-12 without him on the field. He stepped it up when necessary. Consistently.

Would you rather have a receiver on your team that puts up 1000 yards a season and your team is 2-14; or wouldyou rather have a receiver that puts up 750 yards, but every play he's involved in is a game changer? That's Santonio Holmes.
I feel you on this Stealth, although there are more WR's out there that haven't had a chance to shine yet. Folks already know how I feel about stats and how they are overrated! Hines Ward is a perfect example, because they don't keep stats on all the hard nose shit he does. Ask any player out there and they would say they want Hines on their team! As much as it disappoints me to see Holmes go, the Rooney's ha given him so many chances already.

Aug 9, 2006

one big play a game isnt enough for me...obviously our views of consistency are different...Drew Bennett did exactly what you described because he was the only target VYs rookie year, didnt make him a consistent WR IMO, and when he got overpayed by the Rams he flopped so hard he got cut after 1 season...

it wouldnt be a suprise to anyone to see Holmes' numbers fall off (partly because of mark Sanchez and partly because he was overrated to begin with)
...it isnt a coincidence that the superbowl was considered Holmes "coming out" game...he followed it up by a above average season....

i agree with your steeler buddy jazzo. a WR like Holmes is replaceable, people are overhyping the 5th round pick they got 4 him but look at what philly got for Mcnabb (upper tier QB), this isnt madden yall!!!!, word is steelers woulda released em had they not found a suitor :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Dec 2, 2006
Here is a little info I stole from yahoo sports. Quit hating on Holmes, holmes!

Last year, Holmes accounted for 63 first downs out of his 79 receptions. That 79.7 percent mark of creating a first down was the second highest among the NFL’s top 50 pass catchers (the San Diego Chargers’ Vincent Jackson(notes) was first at a stunning 85.3 percent of his 68 catches).

Even if you take away Holmes’ five touchdowns (touchdowns count as first downs), he was a master of creating a fresh set of downs. To break that down further, there were only seven of the top 50 in the league who topped the 75 percent mark. By comparison, the NFL’s leading receiver, Wes Welker(notes), created 71 first downs. But Welker did that on 123 receptions, meaning that only 57.7 percent of his catches went for first downs.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
one big play a game isnt enough for me...obviously our views of consistency are different...Drew Bennett did exactly what you described because he was the only target VYs rookie year, didnt make him a consistent WR IMO, and when he got overpayed by the Rams he flopped so hard he got cut after 1 season...

it wouldnt be a suprise to anyone to see Holmes' numbers fall off (partly because of mark Sanchez and partly because he was overrated to begin with)
...it isnt a coincidence that the superbowl was considered Holmes "coming out" game...he followed it up by a above average season....

i agree with your steeler buddy jazzo. a WR like Holmes is replaceable, people are overhyping the 5th round pick they got 4 him but look at what philly got for Mcnabb (upper tier QB), this isnt madden yall!!!!, word is steelers woulda released em had they not found a suitor :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I def agree that a WR is replaceable.

Two years ago Holmes had the highest YPC in the league, last year his numbers blew up. He had at least 50 yards or a TD every game (except that first Cincy game). And by big play, I mean he was the difference maker between winning and losing. That's important.

I'm fine with the Steelers releasing him. I just think he's something special. Sometimes you just have those players on your team that you can rely on in a clutch moment, and just traded one of them. Time will tell.