THE OFFICIAL AUTO REPAIR THREAD

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
Is recharging the A/C on a 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado something an average joe can take on himself or is that better left to a skilled technichan?

And also what type of refridgerant is needed.....and how much should I be lookin at?

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Is recharging the A/C on a 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado something an average joe can take on himself or is that better left to a skilled technichan?

And also what type of refridgerant is needed.....and how much should I be lookin at?
Since the car is a 92, youll need to see if the car still take R12 fluid, in which case youll need to buy a conversion kit from the autopart store or walmart, or if by that point they put R134a in, in which case you can just top up the fluid level, when you buy either kit it comes with a nozzle to load the fluid with a built in pressure gauge so you dont add too much/little. As far as doing it, its easy as hell, 5 minutes in youre driveway tops, the kits come with 1,2,3 directions that are really straightforward. Youll just be finding the LOW pressure side of the a/c line, the LOW pressure side has a blue plastic cap probably on the passenger side of the engine compartment, plugging in the nozzle that comes with the kit and spraying in new refridgerant. The only thing to watch for is if you end up draining a can into the air dont let a cop see cause its illegal, lol, and make sure you relpace the cap after you take it off, lol.

Jul 4, 2009
Lol I have a 98 Ford Tarus I drive with over 325,000 on it and all my parents and I have done is routine matinence.
Watch It'll take a shit on me tomorrow.

Apr 25, 2002
Muthafuck brake masters!! I brought my shit in to them 2 Saturdays ago and had the rear brakes done. The other day I am driving and it starts making noise again so I make an appointment with them to look at it today @ 430. It's now 10 after 5 and all these dickheads have done is drive the shit twice trying to "find" the noise! I asked them why don't you just check the work you did last time instead of driving it around town and the jerkoff tells me the manager is now driving it cuz the other guy didn't hear any noise. Like he has better hearing cuz he's a manager! I'm about ready to flash on these dudes.
did they resurface your rotors or just slap pads in your ride? what kind of noise are they makin? most likely they used aftermarket pads on your car which alot of times will just squeak in general even with the brakes bein properly serviced.

Mar 30, 2006
I have 2 problems:

1.) I have an automatic. When I start the car, if I put it in reverse or drive, the car makes a winding noise like a toy. This is throughout my drive, whether it be down the street or on the freeway. Whenever I put it in neutral or park, it stops. I'm thinking it's the transmission but i'm not sure where to start with it. I'm thinking maybe the transmission has too much play but i'm not sure.

2.) My car makes an ugly sound when I brake. I checked the brakes today and they're about halfway through front and back. I was hoping it was the brakes but it wasn't. I'm not to sure where to start with that either.

Apr 25, 2002
I have 2 problems:

1.) I have an automatic. When I start the car, if I put it in reverse or drive, the car makes a winding noise like a toy. This is throughout my drive, whether it be down the street or on the freeway. Whenever I put it in neutral or park, it stops. I'm thinking it's the transmission but i'm not sure where to start with it. I'm thinking maybe the transmission has too much play but i'm not sure.

2.) My car makes an ugly sound when I brake. I checked the brakes today and they're about halfway through front and back. I was hoping it was the brakes but it wasn't. I'm not to sure where to start with that either.
sounds like the gears in your tranny are whinin? is it slippin at all or just makin the whinin noises? first thing i would do is check your trans. fluid and make sure it aint low or burnt. depending what kind of car you got most cars trans. fluid will be red. some newer cars you actually can't check the fluid without pulling the drain plug out. can't really say anything about your brakes with the info you givin. what kind of noise is makin, and is it only when you brake? front or rear etc.

Mar 30, 2006
sounds like the gears in your tranny are whinin? is it slippin at all or just makin the whinin noises? first thing i would do is check your trans. fluid and make sure it aint low or burnt. depending what kind of car you got most cars trans. fluid will be red. some newer cars you actually can't check the fluid without pulling the drain plug out. can't really say anything about your brakes with the info you givin. what kind of noise is makin, and is it only when you brake? front or rear etc.
The gears aren't slipping. That's the thing that trips me out. It sounds like if I have a stick shift and I'm letting the engine whind up to shift to the next gear but it's an automatic. I did a tune up recently and changed all the fluids, including the transmission. I maintain my car pretty good. I recently bought it in April. I wanna do a swap but it's gonna cost me a grip.

The brakes sound like if it's scratching against my rotors. I jacked up the car and checked all 4 and the rotors are still smooth and the brakes have a lot of meat on the them. I wanna take the car to a mechanic but it's hard to find a honest mechanic.

Jul 29, 2008
I have 2 problems:

1. That sounds bad... I'd take it in. when was the last time you changed your tranny fluid? If you do, see if there are alot of metal shavings. If it sounds like its winding up like a 5spd, its not getting into gear when its suppose too (for an auto).

2. have a brake check professionally... If its not of that, then its something else like wheel bearings.

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
My Mustang Cobra was idling like a tractor the other day so I thought since I just got it for Xmas, it may have been a long time since anyone changed the oil. I decided to go ahead and change the oil. I don’t usually do that but I was told it was not difficult. I used Royal Purple synthetic oil like I was recommended on another forum.

Anyway I drain the oil and noticed it was extremely dark and even after 10 minutes of draining, it was still coming out. I decided to go ahead and flush it to make sure all the bad oil got out. I hooked up the high pressure hose we have here at work, so I ran water through the engine, started it up and I was waiting for the water to come out clean

The engine never went above idle but my buddy told me this would be ok. Anyway, About 3 minutes into this, then engine starts shaking and shuts off. I figured it was all cleaned out so I plugged it up, added the oil and I was ready to go. WRONG! The damn thing won't start now. These new Mustangs aren't as reliable as my old one. Looks like another trip to the dealer.
I'm sick of these new cars.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
my regals engine just fell out of the car. literally. the motor mounts and everything underneath just rusted out.

my lexus' fuel pump just went out AGAIN i think theres some sediment in the tank. i just spent 800 on a new timing belt and put all new plugs wires and radiator on it.

my towncar has been experiencing the air bag problem, fuses blow in the compressor every few weeks and one of the brake rotors is warped.

my caprice just got hit in the parking lot at the hotel peeling the rubber bumper moulding off.

i got car problems right now.

Feb 1, 2006
Here's one:

BACKSTORY: Last week I got my car detailed (exterior) by some mobile guys that were referred to me by a co-worker. They did a great job, except one of them left something grey on my leather seat (I assume it was some type of wax, caranauba is my guess)

Anyway, I wasn't trippin over it because they were set to come back and do the interior Monday. So when they came back, the leather below this "stuff" had come up, i.e. it is noticeably uneven and discolored. It's not even too bad, maybe 3" long and 1" wide but obviously it annoys me & I notice it; as like everything else in the car, the leather is close to 14 y.o. and is pretty much perfect. I explained the situation to them, they were very apologetic / will help to correct the situation etc.

It's obviously not residue or anything, but rather damaged leather...

My question: Can this be spot-repaired by a shop specializing in interiors, or is the only way to fix this a complete reupholstery, and how much would that cost (remember, leather)? I've seen estimates between 1-2k just for the fronts, not bad.

Thanks

p.s. i've searched on google and i saw some shit that's supposed to "fill in" leather in matched colors, i realize that AS SEEN ON TV "liquid leather" stuff is bs but do any products like this actually work?
theres places that will fill and paint your leather seats. i seen it done to a car where i bought my last car at and it makes the leather look almost brand new you can barely tell though. id definitley do this than getting it reupholstered.

Nov 1, 2005
My Mustang Cobra was idling like a tractor the other day so I thought since I just got it for Xmas, it may have been a long time since anyone changed the oil. I decided to go ahead and change the oil. I don’t usually do that but I was told it was not difficult. I used Royal Purple synthetic oil like I was recommended on another forum.

Anyway I drain the oil and noticed it was extremely dark and even after 10 minutes of draining, it was still coming out. I decided to go ahead and flush it to make sure all the bad oil got out. I hooked up the high pressure hose we have here at work, so I ran water through the engine, started it up and I was waiting for the water to come out clean

The engine never went above idle but my buddy told me this would be ok. Anyway, About 3 minutes into this, then engine starts shaking and shuts off. I figured it was all cleaned out so I plugged it up, added the oil and I was ready to go. WRONG! The damn thing won't start now. These new Mustangs aren't as reliable as my old one. Looks like another trip to the dealer.
I'm sick of these new cars.
you wanna flush out the old oil just keep adding new oil till u see the clear shit start draining from the oil plug.

although i know u kidding about running water through the engine..lol

Sep 28, 2002
i have a 2000 honda civic and everytime i release the brakes it make a squeal.... not when i apply the brakes but when i release it... anyone kno why?

May 27, 2008
theres places that will fill and paint your leather seats. i seen it done to a car where i bought my last car at and it makes the leather look almost brand new you can barely tell though. id definitley do this than getting it reupholstered.
Yeah, I talked to the dudes and they were like "don't worry, we'll just call the leather guy"

So in the end everything works out and I get BOTH my seats touched up.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
i have a 2000 honda civic and everytime i release the brakes it make a squeal.... not when i apply the brakes but when i release it... anyone kno why?
Could be a couple things. Its possible there could be a little dirt or rust where the pads pivot befor they come into contact with rotor. Take off the wheel and spray down the rotors with brakleen (brake clean) and a clean rag to remove any dirt or light surface rust. The other possibilty is your pads are starting to wear, there is a 'squealer' tab that will start to make contact with the rotor to alert you the pads are begining to wear, chance would be that they are always making a sound, but the road noise and you being in the car you cant hear it, but if the pads are wearing it will get louder over time. Take the wheels off and check out the pads and see how much meat are left of them, or it they are possibly wearing unevenly.

Sep 28, 2002
Could be a couple things. Its possible there could be a little dirt or rust where the pads pivot befor they come into contact with rotor. Take off the wheel and spray down the rotors with brakleen (brake clean) and a clean rag to remove any dirt or light surface rust. The other possibilty is your pads are starting to wear, there is a 'squealer' tab that will start to make contact with the rotor to alert you the pads are begining to wear, chance would be that they are always making a sound, but the road noise and you being in the car you cant hear it, but if the pads are wearing it will get louder over time. Take the wheels off and check out the pads and see how much meat are left of them, or it they are possibly wearing unevenly.
cool thnks... ill have to check that out...

Mar 30, 2006
I've been having major problems with my integra. I'll drive it for about an hour and then all of a sudden the engine light comes on, the oil lamp comes on, and the battery light comes on. The car jerks and then turns off. Won't start after that unless I use a battery jumper. It happened again today. The rpm goes from 4 for 1st gear to 3 for 2nd gear and the rest stay at 2. I'm thinking it's either the battery or the alternator but idk.

pAc0

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2006
Sometimes my car will just randomly start smelling like dank really strong
it could be the cabin air filter in your ride that's making it smell like dank. If you notice the odor when you turn on your a/c or when your air vent is on...then it could be your cabin air filter.

My wife's '97 volvo had this musty smell coming out the a/c vents anytime she'd turn on her a/c. We had it replaced. Also when my heater core went out on my 92 Beretta my uncle went ahead and changed the cabin air filter since it was in the same area as the heater core(which is located inside the cabin, behind and near the glove compartment.).