The Official 2013 Raiders Offseason Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 10, 2009
South Sacramento
Running Back Latavius Murray Was The Steal Of The Draft

Football Extra Points: Oakland Raiders Running Back Latavius Murray Was The Steal Of The Draft

Get excited Raider Nation, Reggie McKenzie might have found the perfect complement to Darren McFadden in the 6th round of the draft. Central Florida running back Latavius Murray is a physical freak who is not only one of the fastest running backs in the draft (4.38 40 yard dash) but also one of the biggest (6’3 223 pounds). With the Raiders reverting back to a power running scheme expect Murray to break some big runs over the next few seasons. Murray has also shown that he has great hands coming out of the backfield by having 27 receptions his senior season. The lack of production during his first 3 years in college was the reason Latavius Murray fell to the 6th round but he did have a great senior year.

Latavius Murray is actually bigger than new teammate Darren McFadden which gives the silver and black one of the biggest backfields in the NFL. Having another talented running back is essential to the Raiders offense because of Darren McFadden’s injury history. When Darren McFadden went down last year the Raiders offense went stagnant because they did not have any depth at the running back position. Latavius Murray can finally fill the void left by Michael Bush who left in free agency a couple of years ago.

The battle for backup running back will be one of the most interesting stories for the Raiders in Napa. Former Jacksonville Jaguars running back Rashad Jennings will probably be the favorite to win the job because he has the most experience in the NFL. The Raiders also have Jeremy Stewart and possibly Taiwan Jones (He might switch to cornerback) in the backup running back competition. I believe Latavius Murray is physically gifted enough to win the backup job outright. Having a big athletic running back with great hands will allow the Raiders offense to not skip-a-beat when McFadden is on the sideline. Another key element to Murray’s game is that he has not lost a fumble since 2008. New quarterback Matt Flynn likes to throw the ball to multiple receivers so I would expect Murray to fit in perfectly with the Raiders offense.

Ideally, Murray will become the number two running back this season who can take some pressure off of the fragile McFadden. I know that the Raiders recently signed Rashad Jennings but I believe Murray has what it takes to beat him out in training camp. Expect Murray to be a key contributor on special teams this season and I would not be surprised if he made a few spot starts in place of Darren McFadden. Raiders fans should applaud Reggie McKenzie for finding a great talent so late in the draft.

Feb 10, 2009
South Sacramento
I read somewhere that Latavius Murray hasn't fumbled since George W. Bush was our president in 2008.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22768593/these-two-rbs-are-really-good-hands-people

Murray went 407 carries at Central Florida without losing a fumble, including this past season when he led Conference USA in rushing. His last lost fumble came in 2008, against Memphis, when Mike Shanahan was still the Broncos' coach. It was Murray's only lost fumble in his career — which had 453 carries.

Last edited:

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Football Extra Points: Oakland Raiders Running Back Latavius Murray Was The Steal Of The Draft

Get excited Raider Nation, Reggie McKenzie might have found the perfect complement to Darren McFadden in the 6th round of the draft. Central Florida running back Latavius Murray is a physical freak who is not only one of the fastest running backs in the draft (4.38 40 yard dash) but also one of the biggest (6’3 223 pounds). With the Raiders reverting back to a power running scheme expect Murray to break some big runs over the next few seasons. Murray has also shown that he has great hands coming out of the backfield by having 27 receptions his senior season. The lack of production during his first 3 years in college was the reason Latavius Murray fell to the 6th round but he did have a great senior year.

Latavius Murray is actually bigger than new teammate Darren McFadden which gives the silver and black one of the biggest backfields in the NFL. Having another talented running back is essential to the Raiders offense because of Darren McFadden’s injury history. When Darren McFadden went down last year the Raiders offense went stagnant because they did not have any depth at the running back position. Latavius Murray can finally fill the void left by Michael Bush who left in free agency a couple of years ago.

The battle for backup running back will be one of the most interesting stories for the Raiders in Napa. Former Jacksonville Jaguars running back Rashad Jennings will probably be the favorite to win the job because he has the most experience in the NFL. The Raiders also have Jeremy Stewart and possibly Taiwan Jones (He might switch to cornerback) in the backup running back competition. I believe Latavius Murray is physically gifted enough to win the backup job outright. Having a big athletic running back with great hands will allow the Raiders offense to not skip-a-beat when McFadden is on the sideline. Another key element to Murray’s game is that he has not lost a fumble since 2008. New quarterback Matt Flynn likes to throw the ball to multiple receivers so I would expect Murray to fit in perfectly with the Raiders offense.

Ideally, Murray will become the number two running back this season who can take some pressure off of the fragile McFadden. I know that the Raiders recently signed Rashad Jennings but I believe Murray has what it takes to beat him out in training camp. Expect Murray to be a key contributor on special teams this season and I would not be surprised if he made a few spot starts in place of Darren McFadden. Raiders fans should applaud Reggie McKenzie for finding a great talent so late in the draft.
Lattimore > Murray

in everything, biggest steal, best value, everything

Mar 8, 2008
49ers hire former Raiders WR Ronald Curry as assistant coach
05/06/2013 3:27 PM

The 49ers on Monday hired former Raiders wide receiver Ronald Curry to be an offensive assistant.

Curry spent seven seasons with the Raiders, including two when current 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh was a Raiders offensive assistant in 2002-03.

"The 49ers and our staff are pleased to be initiating Ronald's NFL coaching career," Harbaugh said in a team release. "Our team will greatly benefit from Ronald's athletic experiences."

Curry, 33, last played in an NFL game in 2008. He failed to catch on with another team once his Raiders career ended. Overall, he caught 193 passes for 2,347 yards and 13 touchdowns in 76 games.

He spent the past three years as the football coach and athletic director at Morrisville (N.C.) High School.

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011
start this at 4 minutes if want to skip all the talking

apparently hes known for being grabby. So as a raider, hes gonna have to shed that, cause u cant grab anyone for a second without getting called for holding

Last edited:

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011

best part about this dude, is he turns and looks for the ball all the time when hes man to man. great awareness.

I remember branch, hall, route, they wouldnt fuckin look for the ball on like 80 percent of the pass plays, so they didnt know when the ball was in the air, or if the ball was comin to their guy, except when it was an obvious reaction from the reciever that he was gonna get it, or it was thrown to him.

Props: Tony