The "I got promo" thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 24, 2008
Well I doubt it cuz there arent many friendly people on here, but can someone send me a couple posters? Ill pay for shipping if I have too..

Oct 19, 2008
San Diego
I just got my promo yesterday. I didn't get any samplers though. It's gonna be my first time street teaming. Did Britton tell you guys to promote the album only or to promote the shows too?

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
I just got my promo yesterday. I didn't get any samplers though. It's gonna be my first time street teaming. Did Britton tell you guys to promote the album only or to promote the shows too?
Do both. If you got promo for shows, the best place to take them are the colleges, eateries, and cd stores in your area that will support incoming acts.

I only got album promo because there's no Springfield or LR show, so that's all I'm doing. The best thing for you to do is promote the album heavily, and leave a small reminder, such as the flyer for the show alongside the album promo. They'll notice the album info first, and follow up with the tour info. That's how the regular consumers mind functions.

Oct 19, 2008
San Diego
Well Britton told us that the local openers for Tech (DieNasty) will do most of the show promo, so I only got album promo. I was just wondering if it was the same for other people too. My campus is gonna have a shitload of Tech flyers lol. Do you know what stores will be carrying Sickology? Besides f.y.e.

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
Well Britton told us that the local openers for Tech (DieNasty) will do most of the show promo, so I only got album promo. I was just wondering if it was the same for other people too. My campus is gonna have a shitload of Tech flyers lol. Do you know what stores will be carrying Sickology? Besides f.y.e.
I talked to a guy at Hasting's today, and he said they'll be carrying Sickology. This is after I broke the news to him that Tech's not a local "group", so take that with a grain of salt.

They want some kind of stimulus to put up promo in their store. Just go to a mom and pop in your area, and disperse outward from there. Those big companies really work only through their own marketing team unless you know a manager. Even then, though, they can get in trouble for promoting an album that isn't on their call sheet.

Nov 6, 2005
Just some extra help from someone whos been doing it awhile:

Tattoo Shops, Local CD stores (FYE, Best Buy, Grey Whale, etc.), Colleges, Eateries, Clubs(One of the more tedious, but rewarding), ANY parking lot(Just put em under the windshield wiper), Coffee Shops... All i can think of off top. Are all great locations. For eateries, ive found that if you go to the local, "After the club" stop, you can generally get a good drop of promo. The Coffee shops also serve as good places, due to the more "open minded" people that usually hang out round them parts. Hope that helps a LITTLE.

Oh n dont forget pictures, Britton does ask for flix every now and then, just for some proff that their moneys getting spent correctly.

Oct 19, 2008
San Diego
I talked to a guy at Hasting's today, and he said they'll be carrying Sickology. This is after I broke the news to him that Tech's not a local "group", so take that with a grain of salt.

They want some kind of stimulus to put up promo in their store. Just go to a mom and pop in your area, and disperse outward from there. Those big companies really work only through their own marketing team unless you know a manager. Even then, though, they can get in trouble for promoting an album that isn't on their call sheet.
No Hasting's in San Diego. But I'll keep what you said about the big companies in mind.

Just some extra help from someone whos been doing it awhile:

Tattoo Shops, Local CD stores (FYE, Best Buy, Grey Whale, etc.), Colleges, Eateries, Clubs(One of the more tedious, but rewarding), ANY parking lot(Just put em under the windshield wiper), Coffee Shops... All i can think of off top. Are all great locations. For eateries, ive found that if you go to the local, "After the club" stop, you can generally get a good drop of promo. The Coffee shops also serve as good places, due to the more "open minded" people that usually hang out round them parts. Hope that helps a LITTLE.

Oh n dont forget pictures, Britton does ask for flix every now and then, just for some proff that their moneys getting spent correctly.
Thanks for the tips. And yeah I'm also the street team's picture guy so I'll get the flix covered.

Nov 6, 2005
Establishing a good core group of people you know doesnt waste the promo, and can be trusted it a nice addition as well. But keeping the typical people that just want the perks at a distance is also very recomended. Coordinating a TEAM takes more work then just running it alone at times.