the bungals have some dedicated fans...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
There's a steeler's bar or two in damn near every metropolitan area. You can't say that's the same for ANY other sports franchise in America.

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
it's because they're always good to great every year. why do you think they became steeler fans in the first place? let them suffer through a few seasons in a row with a bad to horrible team. it's easy to claim you have the best fan base when your team is always winning. the cowboys probably have the biggest fanbase in the nfl, but you wouldn't know it right now. when they're playing good enough to be considered super bowl contenders, suddenly they're everywhere.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
It's because when the steel mills collapsed in the 80s, they just won 4 Super Bowls, and everyone left town in a mass exodus. Population dropped by like 500,000. Those aren't bandwagon fans. They're Pittsburghers who got transplanted by a bad economy. That's why they love the Steelers so much, it keeps them connected to the city. Steelers bars aren't for people born in another city who love the Steelers. It's for Pittsburghers who live in another city.

In fairness, you don't see 49ers bars because nobody ever wants to leave Cali. And you don't see Browns bars because most of their fans have killed themselves.

Rossibreath

triple og from the sbp
Sep 1, 2005
Menasha
Isn't there like a 20 year waiting list for GB season tix? I can't imagine that. I put money down for season tix last March for the Seahawks and had them in hand in August. Or what about the Red Sox and Yankees. I'm sure they have to have crazy wait lists too.
It's like 900 years. There's 90,000 names on the list

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
It's because when the steel mills collapsed in the 80s, they just won 4 Super Bowls, and everyone left town in a mass exodus. Population dropped by like 500,000. Those aren't bandwagon fans. They're Pittsburghers who got transplanted by a bad economy. That's why they love the Steelers so much, it keeps them connected to the city. Steelers bars aren't for people born in another city who love the Steelers. It's for Pittsburghers who live in another city.

In fairness, you don't see 49ers bars because nobody ever wants to leave Cali. And you don't see Browns bars because most of their fans have killed themselves.
I don't know about other cities, but there's a steeler's bar here in boise and none of the fans I've met there are from pitts. I imagine most of the people stayed out east when they left pittsburgh.

fact is, winning teams have a lot of bandwagon fans. there's no way around that, trying to say otherwise is just being a homer. steeler's have more super bowls than anybody and the fans haven't had to suffer through any real bad times in 40 years.