Tech N9ne - Something Else

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 2, 2007
Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 8/11/2013

#3. Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines - 65,000 (242,000)

#4. Jay Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail - 48,000 (845,000)

#14. Tech N9ne - Something Else - 17,000 (75,000)

#17. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - The Heist - 15,000 (983,000)

#22. J. Cole - Born Sinner - 14,000 (557,000)

#36. Wale - The Gifted - 8,400 (287,000)

#41. Kanye West - Yeezus - 7,300 (504,000)

#53. YMCMB & Friends - Rich Gang - 6,400 (40,000)

#83. Ace Hood - Trials & Tribulations - 4,200 (55,000)
Shame, it's gonna take a lot for it to even hit 100k. Best album from tech in a long time. Already listened to this album more times then most tracks on 6s and 7s.

Aug 30, 2002
I wouldn't say that. He did the exact same numbers as 6/7's pretty much and that's at 230,000 as of now. He'll be fine like always from touring and getting more support. Hell in 6 more year AP might be gold ha. Its almost at 400k

Jan 8, 2006
wow thats crazy numbers for 6s and 7s. honestly wouldn't think it would have sold over 125k yet. Where do you get these totals from? and damn... yeezus kinda bombed (even though its gold). Still have yet to hear anything from yeezus... and really dont plan on it ever

Aug 27, 2007
wow...macklemore's shit isnt platinum yet???...thats nuts.dude's been running the radio for months

...didnt wanna be "that guy" & was kinda hoping "something else" would grow on me...but (by tech n9ne standards) it was a pretty big disappointment imo.the whole album is plagued w/issues and bogged down by mediocre content suffering from the same flaws as 6s&7s.

never expected to see tech outdone so bad by the artists on his own label (wrek, mayday, rittz...havent gotten my copy of "son of sam" in the mail yet)

Kain

Sicc OG
Jun 16, 2004
Current standing, give or take...

The Calm Before the Storm 21,000
The Worst 12,000
Anghellic 278,000
Absolute Power 358,000
Vintage Tech 89,000
Everready 264,000
Misery Loves Kompany 106,000
Killer 180,000
Sickology 101 118,000
K.O.D. 159,000
The Lost Scripts of K.O.D. 5,599
The Gates Mixed Plate 73,000
Seepage 12,766
Bad Season 6,849
All 6's and 7's 230,579
Welcome to Strangeland 84,000
Klusterfuk 34,379
E.B.A.H. 24,843
Boiling Point 21,043
The EP Series vol. 1 20,748
Something Else 92,000

Total 2,282,806

Kain

Sicc OG
Jun 16, 2004
Skatterman & Snug Brim Urban Legendz
Project Deadman Self Inflicted
Kutt Calhoun B.L.E.V.E.
Krizz Kaliko Vitiligo 15,634
Grave Plott The Plott Thickens 1,189
Prozak Tales from the Sick 24,096
Skatterman & Snug Brim Word on tha Streets 1,158
Kutt Calhoun Feature Presentation 2,658
Krizz Kaliko Genius 28,967
Big Scoob Monsterifik
Brotha Lynch Hung Dinner and a Movie 34,100
Cognito Automatic 1,290
Kutt Calhoun Raw & Un-Kutt 16,617
Krizz Kaliko Shock Treatment 4,806
Brotha Lynch Hung Coathanga Strangla 26,564
Big Scoob Damn Fool 2,514
Krizz Kaliko S.I.C. 1,080
Jay Rock Follow Me Home 13,551
Kutt Calhoun Red-Headed Stepchild 1,727
Big Scoob No Filter
Young Bleed Preserved 1,574
Mayday Take Me To Your Leader 17,664
Prozak Paranormal 18,957
Krizz Kaliko Kickin' and Screamin' 27,486
Stevie Stone Rollin' Stone 19,254
Mayday Thrift Store Halos 3,588
Ces Cru 13 2,940
Kutt Calhoun Kelvin 2,715
Stevie Stone Momentum 2,400
Krizz Kaliko Neh'mind 5,497
Prozak Nocturnal
Brotha Lynch Hung Mannibalector 22,113
Kutt Calhoun Black Gold 9,249
Ces Cru Constant Energy Struggle 11,928
Rittz The Life And Times Of Jonny Valiant 29,924
Wrekonize The War Within 6,792
Mayday Believers 5,858

Mind you that these numbers aren't entirely accurate. If the albums aren't on the charts, then we don't typically get numbers (unless they come from another source), and most of the releases only stay on the charts a couple weeks (but then continue to sell, especially due to touring).

May 7, 2008
nice! thanks man its appreciated.

The last 2 on this list have me a bit puzzled I expected larger but all in all looks like the newer artists have a decent following.

Aug 27, 2007
^^^
damn shame, wrekonize/mayday deserve wwaayy more credit/sales than that.ever since hearing "take me to your leader" ive gone back & caught up on all their other releases & can def say wrekonize is one of the most talented/original dude's out

anybody have any idea why tech didnt get rob rebeck to engineer "something else"?just saw that he did "summer of sam" (as well as "mannibalector") imo, really woulda made a huge difference & done wonders for the overall sound of the album.theres multiple tracks on "something else" that dont sound 100%, which used to be one of the best things about tech's music (when rebeck was involved).ive never heard an engineer in hip hop get shit to sound as perfect as he has.hopefully he will be involved in tech's future projects

Feb 17, 2009
www.twitter.com
I'm as big of a Tech fan as you'll find so hear is my take on the album. I bought it the first day it came out and still have it playing in my car every day...

Straight Out The Gate: Amazing song with 2 musical geniuses. A+

B.I.T.C.H.: I really like this song too. Say what you want about T Pain but I really think Tech N9ne brings out the best in him.

With The BS: I had high hopes for this song and when I saw that Tech had a collab with Red Cafe I was beyond excited to hear it. Let me say this as crystal clear as I can: I DON'T WANT TO HEAR BIG SCOOB AT ALL in any capacity unless I go out of my way to listen to his music. I like Trea also, but I didn't think his verse was good and frankly thought it was extremely basic. Had this only have been a Tech and Red Cafe song with a different hook it could have been great.

Love 2 Dislike Me: Great song. No complaints here

Fortune Force Field: Amazing song all around.

I'm Not A Saint: Again, good song. Very personal.

Fragile: Great track. Tech's verse is way than Kendrick's IMO but everyone did a great job in making a stellar song.

Priorities: I'll take this song for what it is. I personally feel like this was also a song that could have been amazing, had it been Game and Tech. I get the direction they were going for but had it been an actual complete beat I think it would have been 10x better. It's sad because I doubt we'll ever get a collab from these two again and it was one I had been waiting on just like the Red Cafe track.

Dwamn: I'll take it for what it is... There's always a song like this on most of his albums so it's whatever.

So Dope (They Wanna): I like this song but at the same time I feel like Rittz should have definitely been on it. Good song though, don't get me wrong.

See Me: I've actually been listening to this song a lot more lately. Techs 2nd verse is killer and the overall feel and vibe of the song is cool. Once again, the direction they were going for the song came across well and I enjoyed it.

My Haiku-Burn The World: I like this song. I do. At the same time I just get a "cheesy" vibe from it but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the finished product.

That's My Kid: Good song.

Meant To Happen: Love this song. 2 thumbs way up

Believe: Good song. Great lyrics and chorus too. Once again, I still got a "cheesy" vibe from it.

Strange 2013: Love this song. I wish it was 3 verses but still a groundbreaking track all in all genre wise.

Colorado: Good song to sit and vibe too. Loved the approach.

Drowning: Another weird track for me. There's no denying it was good but it felt like a "filler" song to me. Glad it wasn't on the actual album.

Thizzles: Surprisingly like this song but that Danny Brown guy is alsmost impossible to listen to.

Party The Pain Away: Good song but I don't know what the huge deal about it is. I did enjoy it a lot but it's not that big of a deal to me that it didn't make the cut.

Rock-A-Bye: I don't understand Stange sometimes. HOW does this song not make the album? The lyrics and beat are insane. Great hook and overall sound. It's really weird that they cut this.

Somebody Else: I've heard this type of a song from Tech so many times that it's okay it's not on the album. Good to add to the catalogue and pretty damn good lyrics too but I wouldn't have it on the album.

Feels Like Heaven: Great song. They pulled off this track perfectly. Should have been on the album for sure. Techs lyrics are second to none.

OVERALL:

I personally feel like Tech N9ne is by far the best overall rapper in the game, hands down. Having listened to him for so long and knowing what he can do and when he doesn't do it, it makes me think "what the hell?" Every artist has their own approach to their music and I get that but I wish there would be more Tech on Techs albums. It's beating a dead horse but he doesn't need all these features with mediocre verses that ultimately make me want to skip the song after his part is done. I personally think Rittz is the second best rapper on Strange and his album was the best album to come out next to Something Else. I was hoping for more fast rapping, and some harder songs (The Game and Red Cafe tracks would have been perfect) but I did like this project. Nowhere near his best album IMO and I just felt like something was "missing" from it.

I give everyone Tech works with a shot even if I don't care for them personally as an artist but I usually end up disappointed.

Pros: A completely different sounding project from T9 that I've ever really heard. Amazing, elite lyrics, great beats/production.

Cons: Wasted features, "filler" type tracks, Big Scoob, lack of intense speed rapping, some contradicting lyrics at times, and that's about it.

Easily the best rap album out tho.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2006
Yeah I have to agree, it definitely felt like something was missing on this album. The tracks I didn't care for absolutely bombed, to the point where they sound cheesy to me, but the tracks I did like I fucking LOVED. It's so hit and miss it really disappoints me. I agree on the features, but I think that Red Cafe guy was pretty wack. Clever word play, but he sounded like one of Lynch's buddies.