Shutter Island

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 9, 2003
Sherlock Holmes was fucking awful, so if you are comparing Shutter Island to that then I just became very disapointed.
What?

Sherlock Holmes was a great film.

Anyways my take:

Shutter Island was ok. It wasn't great. But it was ok.

Good:
The ambiance created was incredible though. Every visual detail was worked perfectly and it all comes together in such a way that it completely absorbs you into the film. Considering the director, it's no surprise though. Scorsese is a monster.

Maybe I'm just warming up to DiCaprio but he did a very good job. He's no Anthony Hopkins but he plays his role very well. I think I've read before that he's a method actor and it really shows in the film. He gives off a very convincing portrayal and was probably one of the better choices when casting was being considered.

Pacing of the film was very good. And the flashback scenes weren't detrimental to the story either. I hate when you're confused as to what's going on in these psychological thrillers because they sometimes introduce flashbacks and you start to wonder if what you're seeing is "a mind trick" a "true flashback" or a crappy "plot device." This wasn't the case in the movie. It has a pretty fast tempo and the plot never dragged.

Bad:

Cliched story line. It's been done. And it's pretty predictable.

Leo's accent. It's just horrible.

Conclusion:

If it wasn't for the ending I might have liked the film more. Its been done far too much and it really isn't a twist as much as a 'get out of jail free' card that script writers use when they're stuck for ideas. Although, I guess you can't really fault the script writers for it since the movie was adapted from a book and the film is supposed to be very loyal to the source material. I guess either I just didn't like the ending or maybe it just doesn't transition to film very well.

Regardless, I would go watch it. But probably during matinee hours. Just my two cents.

Nov 20, 2005
my brother said he didnt think it was worth paying for, while my cousin said the movie is good. im seeing mixed reviews all over the place, but mexcom and my brother are the only two who said not worth the money.

im debating if im going to see this or book of eli today. we got an amc gift card to blow.

~k.

Nov 17, 2002
www.facebook.com
What?

Sherlock Holmes was a great film.

Anyways my take:

Shutter Island was ok. It wasn't great. But it was ok.

Good:
The ambiance created was incredible though. Every visual detail was worked perfectly and it all comes together in such a way that it completely absorbs you into the film. Considering the director, it's no surprise though. Scorsese is a monster.

Maybe I'm just warming up to DiCaprio but he did a very good job. He's no Anthony Hopkins but he plays his role very well. I think I've read before that he's a method actor and it really shows in the film. He gives off a very convincing portrayal and was probably one of the better choices when casting was being considered.

Pacing of the film was very good. And the flashback scenes weren't detrimental to the story either. I hate when you're confused as to what's going on in these psychological thrillers because they sometimes introduce flashbacks and you start to wonder if what you're seeing is "a mind trick" a "true flashback" or a crappy "plot device." This wasn't the case in the movie. It has a pretty fast tempo and the plot never dragged.

Bad:

Cliched story line. It's been done. And it's pretty predictable.

Leo's accent. It's just horrible.

Conclusion:

If it wasn't for the ending I might have liked the film more. Its been done far too much and it really isn't a twist as much as a 'get out of jail free' card that script writers use when they're stuck for ideas. Although, I guess you can't really fault the script writers for it since the movie was adapted from a book and the film is supposed to be very loyal to the source material. I guess either I just didn't like the ending or maybe it just doesn't transition to film very well.

Regardless, I would go watch it. But probably during matinee hours. Just my two cents.
I think the ending transitions to film just fine. But I think the movie is less about the audience's discovery of what is going on and more about the protagonist's discovery of what is going on. Scorsese practically gives it away to the audience early on. As you said before, the movie is very absorbing. I don't see how the ending takes anything away from that. Although it was easy to guess what was going on, it was the ride along the way and seeing the climax of the main character's self-discovery that made the film so excellent.

This one is definitely a must-own for me. I see too many people mistakenly comparing Shutter Island to movies such as The Sixth Sense, Fight Club, The Others and Identity. The mistake is that those movies rely on trying to surprise the audience with a game-changer sort of twist ending. Shutter Island isn't trying to do this, in my opinion.

Nov 7, 2006
My Favorite Actor: Dicaprio
My Favorite Director: Scorsese
My Favorite Book: Shutter Island

I was instantly drawn to the book since the guy ho wrote it grew up right near the street i grew up on so thats when i read it. then the movie was released and holy shit it looked amazing. went and saw it and it was everything i expected and then some. usually the book is WAAAY better than the movies but in this one i say its pretty tied. I'm so happy that Martin didnt fuck it up but does he ever fuck anything up. will be day one purchase for me

Feb 17, 2006
But I think the movie is less about the audience's discovery of what is going on and more about the protagonist's discovery of what is going on.
But when the audience must view the film from Leo's persepctive it does plenty to muddle and question us upon first viewing. You are exactly right, but there are a number of details which can be questioned to exist after, so the idea of what going on can be found, but not the accuracy of all specific events.

Anyone else notice when interviewing the other patients one by one, the girl who received a glass of water pantomimed drinking it?

Nov 17, 2002
www.facebook.com
But when the audience must view the film from Leo's persepctive it does plenty to muddle and question us upon first viewing. You are exactly right, but there are a number of details which can be questioned to exist after, so the idea of what going on can be found, but not the accuracy of all specific events.

Anyone else notice when interviewing the other patients one by one, the girl who received a glass of water pantomimed drinking it?
I agree. No one figures out the details unntil they're revealed, but a lot of people guessed what was generally going on before it was revealed.

Jan 9, 2009
just got back from this flick... i didnt like it as soon as it when off. but the more i thought about it on the car ride home the more i dig it.. id like to crawl over every minute detail of the flick now that i know the ending.. maybe see it again

Toro

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2006
www.myspace.com
I liked it, def need to see it a couple more times and hear the commentary.

Love him or hate him, DiCaprio is one of the best actors in the world, period. Who would have thought the homeless kid from Growing Pains would turn out the way he did.
That's what I'm thinking, I can understand the hate he got from Titanic, he blew up and was shoved in everyone's face somewhat like that Twilight craze, but now he's shown he's a pretty damn good actor and has been in some amazing movies. Wasn't bothered by any accent (if he had one) in this one but the Blood Diamond accent was very annoying.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Saw it and really liked it. I already knew the story from reading the book so I was looking more for how they were gonna pull it off. It did not disappoint and I'll definitely end up seeing it again.

j19

Sicc OG
Oct 23, 2008
seen it yesterday 3bucks...fucking bad ass...going to see it next week to...im fucking love those chicks