Sellassie's Video on the use of the word "N#igga" and its use by NonBlacks

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
San Francisco Rap Artist Sellassie speaks on the word “N#gga” and its use by Non-Blacks and Blacks in America.

ANTI HOUSE NEGRO EMCEE - PROGRESSIVE HIP HOP

Socio-political Rap Artist, Activist and Entrepreneur Sellassie is no stranger to controversy. As a lyric from his previous record, I’m Tryin’ To Make A Livn’ Not A Killin’ states; “I disturb to increase the peace.” He can be seen at most anti-war rallys, youth empowerment events and on the front line in police brutality issues. This artist cares about his community and speaks from the heart with his music and thru his movement. In response of the current state of rap music and pop culture, Sellassie felt compelled to share with the world his stance on the use of the word “N#gga” and its use by non-blacks and blacks in America.

About Sellassie:
San Francisco Revolutionary Poet and Activist Sellassie has carved his niche as a leading progressive voice in San Francisco Bay Area Hip Hop. With an acclaimed and award-winning debut release, I’m Tryin’ to Make a Livin’ Not a Killin’ and recent follow-up, Sins of Your Forefathers this upcoming emcee has garnered a street level buzz with a fresh perspective. Sellassie is proof that there are young black artists that can make music that is creative, street, positive and smart. He stands firm to his message, has a charismatic presence and is evidence that not every rapper raps negatively, glorifying drugs, guns, women, money or their ego. He is also the creator and co-producer of the Independent Artist Series, We All We Got + 2Racks Rap Contest. With over 70 shows on the calendar in the last 2 years in over 15 markets nationwide, the series have distinguished themselves as premier outlets for independent artists. He is also working with many social, political and youth based initiatives, and is a contributor to various special projects including the film, It Doesn’t Cost Nothin’ to Dream.

CHECK THE MOVEMENT: www.sellassiefrisco.com

Legman

پراید آش
Nov 5, 2002
his point is invalid

indians (from india) suffered just as much slavery in south africa as asians do now in saudi arabia and dubai, and blacks in america

second...last time i checked, my skin aint black...but i get called a sand nigger all the time...so how the fuck can he say i dont know what its like to be called a nigger?

and last but not least, its just a fuckin word, im not advocating its use or tryna to defend it, but its fuckin 2011, if your still bitchin about non-blacks using the word nigga be it in regular chit chat or while singin to some lyrics...its just a fuckin word

at the end of the day, no one can tell me what words to use in my vernacular but doesnt mean ima go around sayin something that might offend some people

i just think people are gettin a lil too defensive all the sudden...but im willin to bet they dont mind when the shows are sold out with 50% plus white people singin along to lyrics full of the word

fuck outta here with that bullshit

Richard Pryor said "tell him i said have a coke, and a smile and shut the fuck up"

thats how i feel

Aug 9, 2005
fuck that nigga he's damn near half white, fuck that niggas mom too, fuck that niggas haircut, fuck that niggas tone and necklace. FUCK THIS NIGGA he need to catch up on 600 years of education before he start trying to speak educated. Sock than nigga in his helmet.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
At the end of the day nigger is an offensive word no matter what race the person saying it is. Noone should say it, but it will be said. It is up to the individual to have the intelligence not to say it.

Ghost Dance

America's Nightmare
Nov 1, 2007
Oak Park...916
breh, no matter what you say, no matter how you wanna bend it...

at the end of the day you aint no NIGGA.

& if you were to use that in front of any REAL niggas, they'd clean your clock... & that aint an insult to your pristine ass-kicking skills, Armen... it's just the truth.

My homeboys who cannot keep their asses out of prison would literally beat you until you were unconscious & leave you in the gutter if anyone outside their race called them a nigga.

not trying to sound like the guy who hangs with hardcore people, & is like "we are ALL COOL!" ...just telling the truth
What your saying is true...

I know if ur mexican or white or whatever your own ppl would fuck u up for sayin nigga...that shit is not rockin in there

But with that said the streets aint the pen and it dont matter how tuff u are... you try and get at one of these youngsters out here bout sayin the word nigga and u gamblin with ur life...to me thats where the problem lies with this attitude...u cant and wont stop everyone from using the word and might get shot in the process

I personally dont use the word but know a lot of ppl that do and some of them ppl are not for play and would most likely shot u over the shit...

I think if u really want to stand up against somthing there is more important issues to advocate for...just my opinion

Oh yeah and I think dude did have some valid points...and also some dumb ones...I just dont like when black folks act like there the only ones that have it hard

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
No shea, it's coming out of an ignorant persons mouth no matter what. Regardless of I'd they say it in a racist way, an imitating black people way or an "I'm black so it's ok if I degrade myself and all who I direct the word at" way.

There should be no "this word is our word" discussion, there should be a "how do we eliminate this word from our vocabularies" discussion.

Jun 10, 2002
I use the word nigga. Im not black and do not want to be black. Most of the time used in reference to my peoples, who the majority are not black. To me its a figure of speech. I gives a fuck, I talk the way I talk. It's not in every sentence, but hey it's in my vocabulary.

I've come across plenty of other races besides black folks that use the word nigga. From homeboys, to whiteboys to some crazy asians. Got folks from a few locations that use the term. I've had black homies that kicked it tough, they was bout it, there was never any drama. Never even though about it like that. I guess it depends on who's mouth its coming from and what way your using it.

It's no big deal to hear the word nigga. What you wont here me say is nigger.

Every area is different.

Jul 5, 2009
I don't like people sayin nigga to me if you aint black. I've been through it wit white people, mexicans and indians(natives). I say what I gotta say to them respectfully cuz I aint the arguin type, and it works every time. And I'll still be coo wit that person. Older niggas taught me that through they actions and I saw mf's get fucked up because people don't wanna listen. You gotta watch who you say it around definitely.

Jun 10, 2002
In my experience and observance, it's really a lost issue. So many people in my era and even with the younger generations coming up use the word nigga, black or not. Most of the time if they on the street tip, then its in they vocab like it or not.

This would be a laughing matter, if I was in the street at any given time trying to tell folks not to use the N word. I might as well do stand up.

Legman

پراید آش
Nov 5, 2002
breh, no matter what you say, no matter how you wanna bend it...

at the end of the day you aint no NIGGA.

& if you were to use that in front of any REAL niggas, they'd clean your clock... & that aint an insult to your pristine ass-kicking skills, Armen... it's just the truth.

My homeboys who cannot keep their asses out of prison would literally beat you until you were unconscious & leave you in the gutter if anyone outside their race called them a nigga.

not trying to sound like the guy who hangs with hardcore people, & is like "we are ALL COOL!" ...just telling the truth
SHEA regardless how you put it all my points were valid and i honestly dont care what someone else thinks, like i stated above, its 2011, and if people like your homies would "clean my clock" then they need to fuckin smoke a few blunts, and rethink their agenda

like i said before, im not advocating the use or sayin its koo to go say it cuz everyone else does, i grew up around black folks and had freedom to say nigga around them all i wanted, did i? no cuz im pasty white and it wouldnt look right sayin it, but do i have the right to use that word in my vernacular? does anyone have the right to tell me what i can and cant say? naw, i choice not to use it, no one owns a word, plain and simple

but for this guy to sit there and talk all this non sense and point the finger and say since we havent been thru 600 years of slavery we dont have the right to say it...fuck that, i been called a sand nigger since i could remember, and as i put it before, indians, asians and many more have been thru slavery for hundreds of years, does that make it valid for them to say nigga?

its not about being tough and kickin ass SHEA, i get it you like to crack jokes about me being a small fry and a sick lil kid, but at the end of the day, im a grown ass man and no one can tell me what ive been thru or what i can or cant say

fuck him and his video, hes ignorant for thinkin he has a right to say shit, hes needs to do some history lessons before he puts videos up talkin a bunch of shit

and u know this aint a stab at you SHEA, im just bein real, and u know thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis mayne lol

Aug 6, 2008
i used to car about things like this until i realized hardly anybody else does, its a waste of time to argue about it, its gonna keep happening no matter what

Aug 9, 2005
EZ-breh... I aint trying to be the thread advocate or anything but...

if you aint trying to imitate a black man by using that word then who you trying to imitate by using it? a racist?

because in all reality, that shit is really either comin out a black mans mouth, someone who wants to be a black man, or a racist ass person.

Not a personal shot, but a question...

& furthermore... you threw that word out when you were in the pen with no repercussion?
Around the wrong folks is it a danger for sho.... but it does not mean I or others emulate thae black man....I say Dude all the time it dosent mean Im emulating the white man I say a lot of shit from what surounds me weather it be black white samoan asian whatever...for him to cockily act like its said to try to be like is where I had my problem. Many Samoans for example say Nigga I feel for a few reasons Cuz the simple fact it ipidomizes Dog/homie/ect Homie sounds good too and thats what the mexicans say...dosent mean im trying to be mexican, but back to samoans I know many that say it cuz they trouble makers and think they can fuck anyone up and would walk up to 5 brothas outside a store and say ..one a yall got a extra ciggerett my nigga.. and if they see in his eyes hes a foo they aint sayin shit...if they some foo's themselves than real be recognizin real and still no problems...But foo's always pick on who they think is weak...if a white boi said that they would get fucked up.. not that they are phisically weaker than uce but the perception is whites are not allowed to get away with it...personally I dont like the word only use it to talk shit..or when blacks are racist...or ignorent......but about equating use of certain races words with wanting to be like them than we would allll be trying to be like a whole lot of races.

Feb 7, 2006
sorry if you sayin nigga either you racist a nigga, or emulating black people. Not too many blacks emulate other peoples racial slang, and that's where you cut the fat from the meat. You have mixxed black/mexican, black/islander, black/asian, black/white etc. hoods but hardly do you hear the black folks talkin like the other group living with them you usually hear the other group talkin like the blacks. Then the other group talkin about that's how it is where I grew up, oh really, in yo house your mexican, white, islander, samoan ass mama or daddy callin you a nigga. Give me a mufuckin break. You emulating NIGGAS but dont want to be a NIGGA so you a bitch.

Feb 7, 2006
SHEA regardless how you put it all my points were valid and i honestly dont care what someone else thinks, like i stated above, its 2011, and if people like your homies would "clean my clock" then they need to fuckin smoke a few blunts, and rethink their agenda

like i said before, im not advocating the use or sayin its koo to go say it cuz everyone else does, i grew up around black folks and had freedom to say nigga around them all i wanted, did i? no cuz im pasty white and it wouldnt look right sayin it, but do i have the right to use that word in my vernacular? does anyone have the right to tell me what i can and cant say? naw, i choice not to use it, no one owns a word, plain and simple

but for this guy to sit there and talk all this non sense and point the finger and say since we havent been thru 600 years of slavery we dont have the right to say it...fuck that, i been called a sand nigger since i could remember, and as i put it before, indians, asians and many more have been thru slavery for hundreds of years, does that make it valid for them to say nigga?

its not about being tough and kickin ass SHEA, i get it you like to crack jokes about me being a small fry and a sick lil kid, but at the end of the day, im a grown ass man and no one can tell me what ive been thru or what i can or cant say

fuck him and his video, hes ignorant for thinkin he has a right to say shit, hes needs to do some history lessons before he puts videos up talkin a bunch of shit

and u know this aint a stab at you SHEA, im just bein real, and u know thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis mayne lol
Armen them NIGGAs wasn't slaves here, didn't go through no Jim Crow here, wasn't being called no niggers/niggas here, chewed up and firebombed for everyones civil right here, etc. what's so hard to understand about that shit? It makes total sense. You are not apart of our collective pain as a culture/race in America so why do you feel you got the absolute right to be wit the get down? Either you feel you are a black person, want to be a black person, or feel like fuck black people I do what the fuck I want I'm unfadeable, if that's the case go up to one of them NOI, BP niggas and show em how much of a nigga you are and nigga this and that but I'm not black since its fuck black people and they history in America. Shit I'm done for tonight but I aint never wanted to be like another race so bad or wanted to disrespect so bad I couldn't hold my tongue on some simple respect shit.