Seahawks News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
I have heard Jimmy Smith come up, as well as Constanzo. Would rather have Smith if i had to chose.
Hell yeah, Jimmy Smith would be the best pick for Seattle if he's still available.

PC needs to get rid of Kelly Jennings no matter what, though.

Andy Dalton
Christian Ponder
Muhammad Wilkerson
Corey Liuget
Marvin Austin
J.J. Watt

Those players are from a few mock drafts I just got done looking at. I don't think Seattle needs to address the DL that much. I'm more than satisfied with what Seattle has now at DT and DE, especially if Red Bryant can stay healthy throughout the season, and if Clemons can stay productive. I feel Seattle should address the secondary, and OL first. Mainly a RCB

Aug 24, 2003
picked up a 6'4 321 pound straight BEAST of a offensive tackle, James Carpenter

yeeeeeeeee. Okung + Carpenter = this offense is getting big and physical

great pick. you can tell tom cable probably wanted dude. i hope this guy works out and we continue to get bigger, more physical players. blog says he could also be used at guard

Feb 14, 2004
Carpenter might not be big name, but Carroll, Schneider got their guy

RENTON – John Schneider doesn’t care if you’ve never heard of James Carpenter. Nor does Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll. Nor does assistant head coach/offensive line coach Tom Cable.

What the Seahawks’ first-round pick lacks in style, they insist, he more than makes up for in substance. And he symbolizes the direction Carroll wants his running game headed.

The Seahawks wanted Carpenter, a 6-foot-4, 321-pound offensive tackle out of Alabama. And they wanted him badly. So despite Carpenter’s relative lack of name recognition – and after talks of trading down didn’t materialize – the Seahawks made him the No. 25 overall pick in the NFL draft on Thursday.

“We had some fun stuff going on,” said Schneider, Seattle’s general manager, referring to the unsuccessful trade talks that caused Seattle to use its entire 10-minute selection allotment. “But quite frankly, our top-rated guy came to us, and he stayed there the whole time.”

Carpenter’s selection came as a surprise to Seahawks followers who figured the team might use its pick on a more talked-about offensive lineman, such as Gabe Carimi of Wisconsin. Or maybe Jimmy Smith, the super-athletic cornerback from Colorado. Defensive linemen Marvin Austin and Muhammad Wilkerson were still on the board, too. And Schneider had announced to the world two weeks earlier that if he had his druthers, he’d like to trade down from No. 25.

But sitting at the front of the draft media room at the VMAC, Schneider and Carroll let off the vibe of two men who had just pulled a fast one on the rest of the league.

Whether they’re right remains to be seen. But at the end of the day, you get the feeling that they got what they wanted. Regardless of the collective “Huh?” feeling that some fans may have experienced when Carpenter’s name flashed on their television screens.

“I would say to a fan that they should take reassurance in the fact that we’ve been busting our tail since last May covering this guy,” Schneider said. “And that we spent countless hours the last probably eight weekends in a row just evaluating this thing, and this guy’s never changed.”

Carroll said Carpenter will immediately compete for the starting right tackle position, though he played mostly left tackle in his two years at Alabama. During that time, Carpenter started all 27 of the Crimson Tide’s games, helping them win a national championship as a junior while blocking for Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram.

And that’s what has Carroll and Schneider so thrilled about their choice – the Seahawks just barely avoided their worst rushing yardage mark in franchise history last season, Carroll vowing afterward that the team’s most pressing need was to revamp the offensive line and figure out how to run the football.

“James brings a toughness that we need,” Carroll said. “We have to continue to build our football team up front, and it’s just a necessary move for us to make to get this guy.”

It’s Carpenter’s toughness that had Schneider and Carroll raving on Thursday. He’s nasty, they said. He’s aggressive. He’s strong. All of which makes him a logical fit for the philosophy of Cable, hired this offseason to bring some ruggedness back to Seattle’s offensive front.

“I wouldn’t have drafted him if he was finesse,” Cable said, responding to a question about an analyst who used said term to describe Carpenter. “That’s not my style. At left tackle, I thought he was a very physical presence at Alabama playing in a tremendous league against a lot of very talented defensive ends.”

And Carpenter proved well enough to the Seahawks at the Senior Bowl that he can play right tackle, too. He worked out at both tackle positions at the all-star game in Mobile, Ala., and said he also did some work at left guard. Schneider says he’s versatile enough to play four positions (both tackles and both guards).

“It’s definitely a reassurance,” Schneider said of Carpenter’s Senior Bowl performance. “You’re going against the top competition in the country right there, and he has been playing at this level. I think in my opinion he really helped himself.”

“I’m very comfortable at right tackle,” Carpenter said. “I’ve been practicing that since the season (ended), and I’ve been pretty good at it.”

The guy doesn’t really have problems adapting, either. Consider that Carpenter attended Coffeyville Community College for two years after failing to qualify academically at Iowa State, then arrived at one of college football’s most respected programs and immediately started the entire season for a team that went undefeated in the toughest conference in the country.

The rarity of such a feat isn’t lost on Carroll, who knows more than a little about how difficult it is for a JC-transfer to crack the depth chart at a national powerhouse.

“It’s very challenging for guys to make that transition,” Carroll said. “There’s so much going on. They’ve just transition once, then they’ve got to do it again. It’s most challenging for a guy to get focused, and then one of the cool things about James is he has a lot of room for improvement. There’s no way that they can indoctrinate him technique-wise to the level that they would with an incoming freshman, or a guy who may have redshirted and all of that. On a lot of natural ability and talent, he’s able to get that done. He has a very big upside, and we’ve been able to identify that.”

Ideally, Carpenter’s addition will give the Seahawks two young, highly regarded starting tackles. Russell Okung was drafted with the No. 6 overall pick last season as a replacement for the retired Walter Jones at left tackle, and Okung figures to be a cornerstone of Seattle’s offensive line for the foreseeable future.

The Seahawks are hoping Carpenter can anchor the other side.

“This is a bit of a statement,” Carroll said. “Russell was a bit of a statement in the beginning last year. To come right back and get it with a right tackle right now is just a continued commitment displayed.”

With the goal of making Carpenter a household name.

“We’ll show in time that this is a terrific pick for us,” Carroll said. “We have to take these steps along the way to build this football program to where we want to be. You’re going to see in the months to come, our continued emphasis to make this thing work on both sides of the football.”

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/...big-name-but-carroll-schneider-got-their-guy/

Aug 24, 2003
“James brings a toughness that we need,” Carroll said. “We have to continue to build our football team up front, and it’s just a necessary move for us to make to get this guy.”

It’s Carpenter’s toughness that had Schneider and Carroll raving on Thursday. He’s nasty, they said. He’s aggressive. He’s strong. All of which makes him a logical fit for the philosophy of Cable, hired this offseason to bring some ruggedness back to Seattle’s offensive front.

“I wouldn’t have drafted him if he was finesse,” Cable said, responding to a question about an analyst who used said term to describe Carpenter. “That’s not my style. At left tackle, I thought he was a very physical presence at Alabama playing in a tremendous league against a lot of very talented defensive ends.”
hell yea. seahawks desperately need those aggressive and physical huge bodies for our run game, that we've been so obviously lacking for quite awhile. im ridiculously amped to see our run game build up and this offense get stronger and bigger under cable. superbowl within 5 years! lol

Feb 14, 2004
I was surprised Seattle didn't go after Jimmy Smith. But I'm not too disappointed with this pick. Schneider and PC have done their homework and know what they want, and looks like they got it. Hopefully this turns out to be a good pick.

May 9, 2002
Believe it or not, this IS the guy that Snieder, Carroll and Cable all wanted. They tried to trade back, but no one wanted to take what they were offering, so they had to pick. Carpenter played T at ALA, but he got put at G in the Senior Bowl and shined. I can only assume that he will get a look at Locklear's spot (thank "GOD"!!!) before anything else.

I was PISSED at first, becuase Carimi was RIGHT there for the taking...someone I have been eyeing for awhile. But, they liked the 6'4", 330 pound G/T. SO either we trust Pete, or we dont.

I think day two will define this draft IMO. There are still SEVERAL viable QB's still to take, including Dalton and Mallet. There are still a PLETHORA of DL's to nab, including Bailey and Paea (although, he doesn't fit our needs at the moment), and several middle tier CB's to look at as well.

And I just have to throw this in....9ers made a much DUMBER pick then we did....like, its not even close. WOWZERS. Also, big ups to JJ Watt going in the top 10...dude is an a absolute BEAST at 6'6" and 300 pounds....as a DE. I wanted him BADLY.

Jake Locker WILL fail if TEN starts him. Book it.

May 9, 2002
Its just stupid seahawks fans trying to justify the worst pick in the draft so far....
Smith and Amukamara were still on the board. 9ers needed a CB more than a DE/OLB. Not to mention, JJ Watt was still sitting there.

But, ill let you tell it.

PS - NFL network also said the 9ers were the biggest reach in the first round.

LOL @ still saying wowzers 15 years later.........
swag, bitch.

Aug 24, 2003
2011 SEAHAWKS THIRD ROUND John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin
Pick: 11th in the round, 75th overall
Pertinent numbers: 6-4, 319; 24 years old; started 45 games for the Badgers at left guard and center; did 23 reps with 225 pounds at the scouting combine.
What he brings: Another big, versatile body for the offensive line – this time for the interior, after the Seahawks selected Alabama tackle James Carpenter in the first round on Thursday night. NFLDraftScout.com summed up Moffitt this way: “Typical Badger interior lineman who utilizes strong hands to dominate his opponent and can lay him out while always playing through the whistle.”
Where he fits: Right guard. That’s where he’ll start, and that’s where he’s expected to start – between Carpenter and center Max Unger, the team’s second-round draft choice in 2009.
What they’re saying: “They’ve got to have a great brain. They’ve got to have great, great toughness. They’ve got to have power and (be) willing to strain. They’ve got to really put themselves out there every day for this team and for their teammates.” – line coach Tom Cable, when asked what he looks for in a guard
What he’s saying: “I’m a physical player. I think I bring a lot of physicality to the line. And I think I’m an intelligent player, as well. It’s important for me to know what I’m doing out there and understand the game and develop mentally as well as physically.” – Moffitt, when asked to describe himself as a player.

picked up a guard, so far we got two big bodies for our interior run game / o line. i love it. going young and big and strong, just what we need. im pretty confident in cable right now. side note: pretty confident in hasselbeck for next year too... lol

Moffitt (6-4, 319) and Carpenter (6-4, 321)

Aug 24, 2003
The Seahawks have traded their second-round pick in the NFL Draft – No. 57 overall – to the Detroit Lions.
In exchange, the Seahawks got the Lions’ picks in the third (75 overall), fourth (107), fifth (154) and seventh (205) rounds. The Seahawks also gave the Lions picks in the fifth and seventh rounds.
With the 57th pick, the Lions selected Illinois running back Mikel LeShoure.

After trading their second-round choice and two others in the NFL Draft to the Detroit Lions for four selections, the Seahawks now have the following eight picks:
Third round (1) – 11th pick, 75th overall
Fourth round (2) – 2nd pick, 99th overall; 10th pick, 107th overall
Fifth round (2) – 23rd pick, 154th overall; 25th, 156th overall
Sixth round (1) – 8th pick, 173rd overall
Seventh round (2) – 2nd pick, 205th overall; 41st pick, 242nd overall

lo. got our third round pick back, we traded it last year as part of the whitehurst deal (just another reason why we shouldnt have been looking at locker, we already have whitehurst)

Aug 24, 2003
i imagine theyre going to pick another offensive lineman. i wouldnt blame them, that line is injury prone and there are still questions there

youre right though picking up some better bodies for the defense would be a good addition. i see big question marks for CB

i dont know exactly how free agency works, but when do they start picking up free agents and whos available?

Feb 14, 2004
2011 Seahawks draft picks

James Carpenter (OL)

John Moffitt (OL)

K.J. Wright (LB)

Kris Durham (WR)

Richard Sherman (DB)

Mark LeGree (FS)

Byron Maxwell (DB)

Lazarius Levingston (DL)

Feb 14, 2004
Words and actions

James Carpenter is a very large young man of very few words.

That was apparent Saturday morning, when the Seahawks introduced the player they had selected in the first round of the NFL Draft on Thursday night. The 6-foot-4, 321-pound tackle from Alabama came to the Seahawks with a reputation for his quiet ways.

“He’s probably the quietest guy on our team,” Alabama coach Nick Saban said during the 2010 season. “In fact, the players rib him all the time about how much he talks – and it’s not very much.”

Asked about that assessment, Carpenter offered, “I’ve been worse. I talk a lot nowadays. I’m enjoying life, especially this experience that I’m doing right now.”

Sharing that experience with Carpenter were his parents – James Sr. and Geraldine – who made the trip to Seattle from their home in Georgia with their son. Sharing the stage in the auditorium at Virginia Mason Athletic Center with Carpenter were coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider, still giddy about landing a player who is expected to win the starting job on the right side.

“We bring in the big fella to help us get this thing really cranked up in the offensive line and for our football team to have an attitude that we all cherish,” Carroll said. “We think he’s a beautiful addition to our football team.”

And Carpenter’s quiet ways spread to the Seahawks’ approached to selecting him. His name never was linked to the team during the long, arduous process that is preparing for the draft. So when his name was called with the 25th pick in the first round, it caught most by surprise.

Those outside the Seahawks’ draft room, that is.

“We tried staying under the radar with his guy,” Schneider said. “We told our group yesterday that we were very proud of them that his name never got out.”

The big cat is now out of the bag, in a big way. The Seahawks used their first two draft choices to rebuild the right side of the offensive line – Carpenter at tackle and second-round draft choice John Moffitt at guard.

“I just hope to be a great addition to the offensive line and play physical with the other offensive linemen and be a good teammate,” Carpenter said. “I’m very physical and just a tough player that just loves the game.”

Words to remember, especially coming from a young man of so few words.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articl...-actions/440bedf3-d777-439a-bca2-36cb9b396a2d