Seahawks News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 24, 2003
the defense has been on the field way too long the whole season, and theyre breaking down.

well one things for sure after yesterdays game, whitehurst definitely is not the answer lol, and matt hasselbeck is not the problem.

feels like the whole offensive line has been cursed ever since steve hutchinson left

Feb 14, 2004
Tuesday in Hawkville

FOCUS ON

Aaron Curry. Coach Pete Carroll has been talking about unleashing the second-year linebacker as a pass rusher since his introductory news conference in January. It finally happened in Sunday’s big win over the Cardinals in Arizona.

Curry, last year’s first-round draft choice, had a pair of sacks among his season-high seven tackles.

“Aaron Curry had his best game for us,” Carroll said. “He was active and around the ball – had a couple of sacks and nice plays in the running game.”

That he did. On his first sack, Curry chased Cardinals quarterback down from across the field for a 9-yard loss on a third-and-6. On the second sack, Curry also forced Anderson to fumble, and defensive end Chris Clemons recovered.

But Curry also stopped Tim Hightower for no gain on a third-and-5 play from the Seahawks’ 5-yard line and had another tackle of Hightower for a 1-yard gain.

Defensive coordinator Gus Bradley could see Curry’s big game coming.

“Gus mentioned it coming back on the bus (Sunday) night that Aaron really had a look in his eye before the game and was really pumped about this game,” Carroll said. “I don’t know why that was so much different, but Gus noticed it.”

It was impossible to overlook Curry once the game started.

“He went out and tore it up and had a nice ball game for us,” Carroll said. “So you know, there can be a time when you turn a corner and all that. I think he’s played really solid for us throughout and I think this was his best game getting after the quarterback.

“We need him.”

And Curry needed a game like this, especially with the Seahawks traveling to New Orleans on Friday for this week’s game against the Saints and QB Drew Brees.

“I just got a lot of opportunities to make plays, and capitalized on it,” Curry said after the first multiple-sack game of his 23-game career. “It definitely feels good to go out there and get a win on the road like that against a division opponent, no matter what the stats are.”

STAT DU JOUR

Mike Williams’ 35-reception streak ranks second in franchise history to – who else – Steve Largent over a five-game period.

Largent caught 36 passes in a five-game stretch that stretched over two seasons: 12 vs. the Broncos, eight vs. the Lions, four vs. the Chiefs and seven vs. the Broncos to close the 1984 season and five vs. the Bengals in the 1985 season opener.

But not even “The Great Steve Largent,” as former Raiders cornerback Lester Hayes used to refer to him, did what Williams has accomplished in a five-game run during one season – most noticeably Williams’ bookend 11-catch games against the Cardinals and a 10-catch effort against the Bears. In between, Williams had one catch against the Raiders and two against the Giants.

YOU DON’T SAY

“Just knowing him, what he brings to this team, what he brings to the community, it’s just a positive vibe. Roy is the most positive person I’ve met. He’s always happy. He always comes in and he’s even keeled, he’s positive. He’s everything that you would want in a Man of the Year.” – senior director of player development Maurice Kelly, on cornerback Roy Lewis

http://blog.seahawks.com/2010/11/16/tuesday-in-hawkville-40/

Feb 14, 2004
John Carlson. He might be listed as a tight end, but Carlson also has lined up at H-back, in the slot, flanked as a receiver and even at fullback this season.

Which job description does he prefer?

“All of the above,” Carlson said. “In this offense, the tight end is asked to do different things. So in the same game, I’ll be in the backfield, and on the line of scrimmage, and be out wide. They ask me to do all kinds of different things.”

Including lining up at fullback, because Michael Robinson has been sidelined the past three games with a strained hamstring. How different is that for a tight end?

“A lot of this stuff is different,” Carlson said. “Because on the run plays they want you to read it like a runner, like the running back would. And I read it like a tight end, because I’m a tight end.

“But it’s one of those things where I just need to learn the position and get better at it every week.”

Carlson also is third on the team with 22 receptions, although it’s off the pace that produced 55- and 51-reception seasons in his first years.

“Every week’s a new week,” he said. “I don’t know exactly how the catches are going to turn out and the numbers and the stats and all that. But that’s always kind of been secondary in my opinion. Ultimately we’re here to win games, and this year we’re doing that a lot more so than in the last two years.”

Good point. The Seahawks are 5-4 entering Sunday’s game against the Saints in New Orleans. The five victories match the season total from last year and are one more than the Seahawks won during his rookie season.

“So I’m all for it,” he said. “Whatever I can do to help the team win is what I’m going to be doing.”

FAMILIARITY FACTOR

Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck got a subtle reminder today about just how new his group of wide receivers is, and also just how long Ben Obomanu has been with the team.

“We ran a play and we were talking about how he did his motion on the play, and I said, ‘I was thinking maybe you should do it this way,’ ” Hasselbeck offered.

“And he said, ‘Oh yeah, like Darrell used to do it.’ And I was like, ‘Were you here with Darrell Jackson? You’ve been here that long.’ ”

Yes, and yes. This is Obomanu’s fifth year with the club, so he was a rookie in 2006 – Jackson’s final season with the Seahawks. Obomanu’s five seasons as a Seahawks also are one shy of the combined total of other five wide receivers on the roster – as Deon Butler is in his second season with the team, while Mike Williams, Golden Tate, Brandon Stokley and Ruvell Martin are in their first.

“You know, you forget sometimes just because he’s so steady,” Hasselbeck said of Obomanu, who got his first career start at flanker last week and will double that total in Sunday’s game against the Saints.

http://blog.seahawks.com/2010/11/18/thursday-in-hawkville-35/

Feb 14, 2004
2011 Seattle Seahawks free-agent preview

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

Potential FAs: S Jordan Babineaux(notes) (7), OT Allen Barbre(notes) (4), DE Raheem Brock(notes) (9), OG Ben Hamilton(notes) (10), QB Matt Hasselbeck (12), OLB David Hawthorne(notes) (3), OLB Will Herring(notes) (4), OLB Leroy Hill(notes) (6), CB Kelly Jennings(notes) (5), OT Sean Locklear(notes) (7), QB J.P. Losman(notes) (7), CB Roy Lewis(notes) (3), PK Olindo Mare(notes) (15), WR Ruvell Martin(notes) (6), OLB Matt McCoy(notes) (6), DT Brandon Mebane(notes) (4), S Lawyer Milloy(notes) (15), WR Ben Obomanu(notes) (5), DT Frank Okam(notes) (3), OT Chester Pitts(notes) (9), OT Tyler Polumbus(notes) (3), DE Jay Richardson(notes) (4), RB Michael Robinson(notes) (5), DT Junior Siavii(notes) (4), C Chris Spencer(notes) (6), WR Isaiah Stanback(notes) (4), WR Brandon Stokley(notes) (12), DT Craig Terrill(notes) (7), RB Leon Washington(notes) (5), C Chris White(notes) (5), WR Mike Williams (4), OT Ray Willis(notes) (6).

Analysis: The Seahawks' free-agent focus figures to be much more on second-tier singles hitters than high-profile home-run hitters. The one exception could be the QB position should the team decide that age and injury issues preclude them from re-signing Hasselbeck. With serious roots in the Pacific Northwest, Hasselbeck has made it clear he would prefer to remain a Seahawk, but that depends on how well he plays the rest of the season, in addition to how well his often-battered body holds up the last six games. The best bets as re-signing priorities are Hawthorne, who has proven to be a quality linebacker both inside and outside; Mebane, whose recent absence because of injury dramatically hindered the run defense; Washington, a special-teams stud who eventually is expected to become much more of a factor in the offense; and Williams, who has come back from the NFL graveyard to become the big, physical receiver Carroll covets in his USC-style blueprint. As is the case with Hasselbeck, the futures of O-line starters Spencer and Locklear in Seattle probably hinge on how well they play the rest of the season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=pfw-20101126_2011_nfc_west_free_agent_preview

Click the link to view the FA list for the other NFC West teams

Feb 14, 2004
Tuesday in Hawkville

FOCUS ON

The NFC West. As the Seahawks and their division rivals move into the final five weeks of the regular season, one of the four will emerge and secure a berth in the postseason. But which team will make it a December to remember?

As ludicrous as this might sound for a team that has given up 42 and 34 points in its past two games and been outscored 83-31 in its past two home games, the Seahawks continue to control their own destiny. Of course, so do the St. Louis Rams – who also are 5-6 and beat the Seahawks in St. Louis in Week 4; and the San Francisco 49ers – who pulled to within a game of the Seahawks and Rams with Monday night’s win over the Arizona Cardinals.

But the Seahawks cannot let another home game slip away, especially with the 1-10 Carolina Panthers coming to Qwest Field on Sunday and their next home game against the 9-2 Atlanta Falcons. The Seahawks also have to travel to San Francisco to play the 49ers next week and make a Christmas weekend trip to Tampa to play the 7-4 Buccaneers before hosting the Rams in a Jan. 2 game that could determine the division champion.

The 49ers are the “hottest” team in this tepid division, but they play the 7-4 Packers in Green Bay this week and still have to travel to San Diego to face the resurgent Chargers (who have won four in a row) and also to St. Louis to play the Rams (4-2 at home). The Rams, meanwhile, still have to play the 8-3 Saints in New Orleans and the 7-4 Kansas City Chiefs at home between games against the other three NFC West teams.

It’s a mangled menagerie of scenarios that has to be keeping coach Pete Carroll awake at night, right? Not quite.

“It’s nice to be in first place and all that,” he conceded. “But it doesn’t mean anything until you finish. It’s kind of like the BCS stuff. You can talk about the BCS and all that stuff that’s up in the air right now. It doesn’t mean anything until the end of it.

“To me, this is exactly the same way of looking at it.”

PLAYER WATCH

Colin Cole. The sweat was dripping from his face and had soaked his jersey as he sat in the locker room today removing his shoes.

Off day? Not for the Seahawks’ injured nose tackle. Cole is doing everything he can to get back in the lineup after missing the past four games with what Carroll labels “a pretty severe high ankle sprain.” That includes rehab and conditioning on the players’ “off” day.

It has been difficult for Cole to watch what has happened to the run defense since he and end Red Bryant were forced out of the lineup with injuries – Bryant for the season with ligament damage in a knee that required surgery.

Both went down in the Week 8 game in Oakland – Bryant in the second quarter, Cole in the fourth – as the Raiders were rushing for 239 yards. Since then, it’s been 197 rushing yards by the New York Giants, 41 by the Cardinals (in the Seahawks’ only win during this stretch), 112 at the Saints and 270 by the Chiefs on Sunday.

While it might sound like an excuse, or even a coincidence, losing Cole and Bryant is a huge reason why a defense that allowed an average of 70.4 yards in his first five games has yielded more than twice that in the past six games (164.0).

Bryant will not return. Cole will – if not this week, than hopefully next week.

“He’s not ready yet,” Carroll said on Monday. “He’s not ready to get up and going on that thing. He feels it. He wants to get back as soon as he can. He’s working real hard in rehab and so we’ll just have to wait it out.”

The proof of Cole’s desire to return was evident in the sweat that was dripping from his face and soaking his jersey.

INJURY UPDATE

Leading receiver Mike Williams remains day-to-day with the strained left foot that forced him to miss the game against the Chiefs. But so is left guard Chester Pitts, who also missed the Kansas City game because he has a sprained ankle and soreness in his surgically repaired right knee.

“We have to wait on Chester. We don’t know yet,” Carroll said. “He was pretty good by the end of (last) week, although he couldn’t run yet. We’ll have to see how he is on Wednesday. It’s another day-to-day thing with Chester.

“We’ll find out more when they try to get him on his toes and everything. He has an ankle and a knee combined thing going. So it’s a little more complex than just one. So we’ll have to figure him out in the next couple of days.”

Mike Gibson started at left guard against the Chiefs.

STAT DU JOUR
The Panthers are averaging a league-low 12.7 points per game. Through 11 games, they have scored 140 points – which, ironically, matches the season total for the 1992 Seahawks, who set the 16-game NFL record for fewest points in a season.

UP NEXT

The players return from their “off” day tomorrow to begin preparing for the Panthers, and they’ll do it with a new schedule – as the practices on Wednesday and Thursday will start at 12:15, rather than 1:30.

YOU DON’T SAY

“I’ll find out Wednesday. I don’t know. I was pretty direct.” – Carroll, when asked how he thought the players would respond after the team’s “Tell the Truth Monday” meeting

http://blog.seahawks.com/2010/11/30/tuesday-in-hawkville-42/

Feb 14, 2004
Seattle signs Hawthorne to extension through '11

RENTON, Wash. -- The Seattle Seahawks have signed linebacker David Hawthorne to a one-year extension through the 2011 season.

The team confirmed the signing on Tuesday. It was first reported by Mac's Football Blog.

According to the NFL players association database, Hawthorne will make $900,000 in base salary for the 2011 season. It's a raise of more than $200,000 from what he is making this season.

Hawthorne leads Seattle with 66 tackles and also has one interception. He has moved into the starting weakside linebacker spot in Seattle's defense, replacing Leroy Hill who is on injured reserve.

Hawthorne's first break came last year when he took over the starting spot from middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu when he was lost for the season with a pectoral injury.

Hawthorne was signed as an undrafted free agent out of TCU before the 2008 season.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420ap_fbn_seahawks_hawthorne.html

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
bwhahahahahahaha fucc ur pathetic ass team and there sorry ass history them peacocks got owned lmao at at hasselbeck 4int and a fumble pick 6 by goldson from UW oh yeah fucc savage