Seahawks News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
Seattle QB Hasselbeck out Sunday vs Giants

RENTON, Wash. -- If the New York Giants are going to add to their knockout list of quarterbacks, it won't be Seattle's Matt Hasselbeck.

Hasselbeck, Seahawks starting QB, is out for Sunday's game against New York with a concussion. Seattle coach Pete Carroll made the announcement Thursday that Hasselbeck had not been cleared to play. Charlie Whitehurst will make the first start of his career.

"I think it's a little more serious than I thought. I visited with Matt after the game and stuff and I didn't realize there was anything going on. Not till Monday did we really ... there were some symptoms and stuff like that and then we took it very seriously," Carroll said. "I'm surprised a little bit, but it's real. That's good for me to understand it better, too."

Carroll said Hasselbeck would still need to be cleared under the league-mandated concussion testing in order to play next week at Arizona.

Hasselbeck suffered his concussion late in last week's 33-3 loss at Oakland. Carroll said Monday and again Wednesday he hoped Hasselbeck would be cleared and able to play against the Giants.

Instead, it'll be Whitehurst, who was brought to Seattle in a trade with San Diego in the offseason, but has never thrown a pass in a regular-season game.

"The circumstances are good," Whitehurst said. "We're playing a good team. Playing at home. It's all you can really ask for. I plan on going out there and executing and helping this team win."

Outside of three snaps in garbage time last week, Whitehurst gets his first opportunity. Whitehurst spent his first four years in San Diego as the third-stringer behind Philip Rivers and Billy Volek.

The Seahawks acquired him in March for a swap of second-round picks in the 2010 draft and an undisclosed 2011 selection.

"He's ready," Carroll said of Whitehurst. "I've talked to Charlie from the first day he got here that he's coming here to play football. Nothing else. He's not coming here to be a backup or to do anything other than to make himself a spot. He has done a fantastic job up until this point. He's done everything that we've asked of him and we're real excited to see him play now."

The Seahawks will face an imposing Giants defense that has knocked out five quarterbacks this season and had 10 sacks against Chicago in Week 4. Seattle's banged-up offensive line allowed eight sacks of Hasselbeck last week in Oakland.

"I've got a lot to worry about. I'm not going to worry about that. I'm confident in the guys up front," Whitehurst said. "They can do their jobs and I know what they've done to quarterbacks this year, but we're confident we're going to go out there and play well."

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420ap_fbn_seahawks_hasselbeck.html

Feb 14, 2004
Seahawks' offense missing more than Hasselbeck

Not only were the Seahawks without starting quarterback Matt Hasselbeck on Thursday, their short-handed offense practiced without receivers Mike Williams and Golden Tate and tackles Russell Okung and Tyler Polumbus once again.

Additionally, fullback Michael Robinson remained sidelined by a sore hamstring and defensive tackle Colin Cole has already been ruled out this week by coach Pete Carroll with an ankle sprain, though Brandon Mebane did return at least in a limited role Thursday after sitting out three straight weeks with a calf strain.

Thus the Seahawks are particularly thin at a couple key positions as they prepare for Sunday's showdown with the 5-2 New York Giants, who'll roll into Qwest Field on a four-game winning streak.

Hasselbeck was pronounced out for Sunday's game earlier in the day by head coach Pete Carroll as he's yet to sufficiently recover from a concussion suffered late in the Oakland loss.

Now the question is who fill-in quarterback Charlie Whitehurst will be throwing to on Sunday and who will be protecting his backside against a strong Giants' defensive front.

Williams suffered a bruised thigh and Tate sprained his ankle against the Raiders. If neither can go, that leaves Deon Butler, Ben Obomanu and Brandon Stokley as the only healthy receivers.

As for left tackle, Chester Pitts will start there if neither Okung or Polumbus returns, with Mike Gibson starting at left guard.

The good news Thursday was that center Chris Spencer returned after missing Wednesday's work with a sore neck. Safety Jordan Babineaux also was back after being sick the day before.

The biggest focus Sunday naturally will be on Whitehurst as he makes his Seahawks' debut, having yet to throw an NFL regular-season pass.

"It's an opportunity for him," said offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates. "Same with Gibson and other guys that are going to step up and play. It's the NFL season and guys get hurt and guys have to replace them and move on."

Bates said he doesn't think the offense will change much with Whitehurst's arrival, though the Seahawks surely will make adjustments to help protect him against a defense that leads the NFL in sacks per game (3.4) and has injured five opposing quarterbacks in seven games.

"We're playing a good defense," he said. "They've knocked out a lot of quarterbacks so we're definitely going to take that into consideration and give our team the best opportunity to go out there and be successful."

Bates said this is Whitehurst's time to show what he can do in a regular-season game and that he's also prepared to use rookie Zac Robinson as a backup, if need be.

As for an emergency quarterback, given Michael Robinson normally fills that role as a former college QB, but his status also is uncertain this week?

"We've got a couple trick plays we're going to go with," Bates said with a half-laugh.

The Seahawks will need to elevate Robinson to the 53-man active roster by Sunday, which means another player will have to be released at that point.

Giants injury report: Two Giants starters didn't practice Thursday -- center Shaun O'Hara (foot) and fullback Madison Hedgecock (hamstring). Also sitting out where backup tackle Will Beatty (foot) and defensive end Dave Tollefson (illness).

Defensive Osi Umenyiora, the NFL's second-leading sacker with eight, practiced in a limited role Thursday after sitting out Wednesday to rest a sore knee.

Starting right tackle Kareem McKenzie returned to practice after missing Wednesday with an illness.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/227280.asp

Feb 14, 2004
Not looking forward to this game. Whitehurst better have some mobility, he'll be getting chased all day. That o-line can't block to save their own lives.

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
I have a sick feeling in my stomach when I think about the game this Sunday. Don't get me wrong, we're still taking the victory but I don't think it's going to be pretty.

Aug 24, 2003
thank god they sat matt out this game... shit would have been a disaster.

sundays going to be the charlie whitehurst show. i really think he's going to pull off some nice shit. hopefully the playcalling for the majority of the game is going to try to use the giants ferocious line to our favor. thatd be sweet to see a lot of screens that end up in big plays. something utterly missing from last week

whatever happens we are definitely going to get more than that lousy ass 3 points we put up vs the raiders

Aug 24, 2003
if history means anything giants suck at quest field. I think the last couple times they came here they got blown the fuck out.

also i found this on the seahawks website

Friday fun fact

In 2010, the Seahawks have a +8 turnover margin at home while the Giants are -6 on the road.

heres hoping that the giants make some huge turnovers. a couple of turnovers and if our solid run defense shows up i think the seahawks got this one. one things for sure there will be a lot of punts this game

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
that whitehurst guy isnt too bad, no mistakes except for that last pick really. You guys just can't stop the giants offense, jacobs is like a semi trailer with legs lol.