SCEE: LittleBigPlanet delayed worldwide due to Qur'an references in music

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 28, 2002
What..???? Cmon ive been waiting to get my hands on this shit and now its delayed at the last minute.... fucking shit... i guess ima buy WipEout HD to keep me busy....

That little, er, BIG delay that we reported earlier today? Yeah, it's now effective for the entire ... planet! In a statement published on semi-official site Three Speech, SCEE confirms that the worldwide delay is indeed due to "one of the background music tracks licensed from a record label for use in the game," which references "two expressions that can be found in the Qur'an." (We've posted the full statement after the break.)

No word yet on the new release date for any territory. And we're still awaiting SCEA's response to the matter, which we hope to update with shortly.

Update: Media Molecule has released a statement noting that they have an official patch ready for day one, but "a decision was made within Sony that the right thing to do for quality and support of people with no on-line was to replace existing disks." The patch is still ready and the post suggests it will likely "go live at the same time as the game," which still has no new release date.
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/17/scee-littlebigplanet-delayed-worldwide-due-to-quran-references/

Nov 14, 2002
As if anybody would have noticed... I guess now people will just have to wait a little longer before they can attempt to make game levels, realize they suck at it, and return the game to Gamestop.

May 1, 2003
More info!

NSider's Letter To Sony And Media Molecule Re: Qur'an References

Yesterday we received an email in tips from Nsider on behalf of True-Gaming.net that was sent to Media Molecule and Sony regarding the Qu'ran passages in LittleBigPlanet's music that resulted in the worldwide recall of the title just a week before release. the email explains the passages and goes on to request that they be removed from the title.
I asked many of my friends online and offline and they heard the exact same thing that I heard easily when I played that part of the track. Certain Arabic hardcore gaming forums are already discussing this, so we decided to take action by emailing you before this spreads to mainstream attention. We Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Quran deeply offending. We hope you would remove that track from the game immediately via an online update, and make sure that all future shipments of the game disk do not contain it.
Hit the jump for the full text of the email, which very well may have been the catalyst for the delay of one of the biggest games of the holiday season.
To: Sony Computer Entertainment & Media Molecule
While playing your latest game, "LittleBigPlanet" in the first level of the third world in the game (titled "Swinging Safari"), I have noticed something strange in the lyrics of the music track of the level. When I listened carefully, I was surprised to hear some very familiar Arabic words from the Quran. You can listen to part of the track here:
http://mt14.quickshareit.com/share/preview/soundclip22503c0.wav
The words are:
1- In the 18th second: "كل نفس ذائقة الموت" ("kollo nafsin tha'iqatol mawt", literally: 'Every soul shall have the taste of death').
2- Almost immediately after, in the 27th second: "كل من عليها فان" ("kollo man alaiha fan", literally: 'All that is on earth will perish').
I asked many of my friends online and offline and they heard the exact same thing that I heard easily when I played that part of the track. Certain Arabic hardcore gaming forums are already discussing this, so we decided to take action by emailing you before this spreads to mainstream attention.
We Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Quran deeply offending. We hope you would remove that track from the game immediately via an online update, and make sure that all future shipments of the game disk do not contain it.
We would also like to mention that this isn't the first time something like this happened in videogames. Nintendo's 1998 hit "Zelda: Ocarina of Time" contained a musical track with islamic phrases, but it was removed in later shipments of the game after Nintendo was contacted by Muslim organizations. Last year, Capcom's "Zack & Wiki" and Activision's "Call of Duty 4" also contained objectionable material offensive to Muslims that was spotted before the release of the final games, and both companies thankfully removed the content.
We hope you act immediately to avoid any confusion and unnecessary controversy, and we thank you for making such an amazing game.
Regards,
NSider

Sep 28, 2002
im not sure so take this with a grain of salt but i heard that it is offensive for their scripture to be referenced out of the book or whatever

R

Sicc OG
Dec 7, 2005
@ FREAKS
what they found offensive was that the passage was mixed with music which is apparently an offensive thing to do
then why does jacka always say some muslim stuff in his songs sometimes when theres music in the background. why aint that offensive?

May 9, 2002
@ FREAKS
what they found offensive was that the passage was mixed with music which is apparently an offensive thing to do
then why does jacka always say some muslim stuff in his songs sometimes when theres music in the background. why aint that offensive?
Probably because more people will buy this game than a Jacka album. This game is worldwide and has an add campaign. The Jacka has the Siccness.

Very few people outside the Bay give a shit about Bay music.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Dec 19, 2005
@ FREAKS
just like the other dude said...i doubt any Muslims who would protest even listen The Jacka or Husalah so that shit just slides.

so pretty much the game gets way way way more exposure than a jacka or husalah song.

Oct 1, 2006
I don't think the muslims would be offended if some stupid game contained quotes from the Quran. I think the most obvious reason why Sony deleted the quotes was because they didn't want the Quran quotes to jeopardize the whole marketing of the game in United States.

May 9, 2002
I don't think the muslims would be offended if some stupid game contained quotes from the Quran. I think the most obvious reason why Sony deleted the quotes was because they didn't want the Quran quotes to jeopardize the whole marketing of the game in United States.
Ther major flaw in your notion is that I would think most Americans know Jack SHIT about the Quarn...and wouldnt know a line from it if their life depended on it.

Mac Jesus

Girls send me your nudes
May 31, 2003
I think a lot of outrage would come from the same "christian" american's who do not want Obama in power because they think he's a muslim. Not to mention the cultural respect and acceptance of not breaking cultural taboo for the large amount of muslim's around the world. That's two marketing groups that Sony was making sure not to upset, it's not that hard to understand why they pushed the date back.

Oct 1, 2006
Ther major flaw in your notion is that I would think most Americans know Jack SHIT about the Quarn...and wouldnt know a line from it if their life depended on it.
Well it takes only one person to translate the quotes and explain where it is from. It doesn't have to be an American. In the internet era news spread in a flash through continents.