Raiders Coach Lane Kiffin Could Be Fired As Early As Tomorrow

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
No, thank you.

And if he does get fired...James Lofton would probably be first in line. Al loves him, brought him in this year, and it's been said he'd be the head coach sometime in the future...

If Al's not happy with Kiffen getting the job done...our recievers haven't done SHIT in the first two games...and Lofton's our WR coach.

Hmm.

Oct 16, 2006
mylot.com
^^ gotcha. But, the real issue @ hand is.... FUCK AL DAVIS!!! Even a 9ers fan can share that sentiment. We gotta see eye to eye somehow, and this is one way we can put aside our differences and come together for a common good. To get this asshole Al Davis outtahere. Even if there's not the slightest chance of this being able to happen. How the fuck is he still breathing, anyway?

Dec 28, 2006
The same publication that said Kiffin wouldn't be around through the end of January, then wouldn't be around by draft time, and then wouldn't make it to training camp. This paper has a long history of "Raider-hating" and taking shots at the Raiders and Al. With that said, even a blind squirell finds a nut once in a while. If they're right it won't be because they're quality reporters or anything, it'll be because they contsantly report every bad rumor they can come up with.

Mar 16, 2005
The same publication that said Kiffin wouldn't be around through the end of January, then wouldn't be around by draft time, and then wouldn't make it to training camp. This paper has a long history of "Raider-hating" and taking shots at the Raiders and Al. With that said, even a blind squirell finds a nut once in a while. If they're right it won't be because they're quality reporters or anything, it'll be because they contsantly report every bad rumor they can come up with.

Raider-hating??? Rumors???

Do you actually know whats going on with this situation or do you want to just think hating or rumors because you have no other input into this thread?

They were not rumors, Al wanted to buyout Kiffin, kiffin declined. It was said by Kiffin himself last week he doesn't talk to Al, no why would they not talk? hmmmm maybe because not on good terms at this moment!

I hope your other 4 posts in 2 years were better than this one.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Raiders' Kiffin stays as coach, but status still uncertain
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ad9813&template=with-video&confirm=true

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Lane Kiffin went through his usual routine Monday, watching game film, meeting with the media and doing all the other tasks as Oakland Raiders head coach.

How much longer he will have those responsibilities remains an open question.

The Raiders did little to dampen talk that Kiffin's job is in jeopardy. There were reports over the weekend that owner Al Davis wanted to fire his coach because he was upset about a string of critical comments Davis viewed as a form of insubordination.

"There are certain things I can control, there's certain things I can't," Kiffin said. "This happens to be the next one. He has a decision to make. It does me no good to worry about it right now."

Instead, Kiffin will start preparing for Sunday's game at Buffalo, whether he will still be the coach by then or not. He said he wants to keep his job.

Kiffin added he had not spoken to Davis recently, but the two are expected to meet early this week. Kiffin stressed that the lack of contact the past week wasn't necessarily unusual.

"Don't make a big deal out of it. That's very normal," he said. "We don't sit next to each other on the plane. Al's not around as much as he used to be. He's around the office or he's at practice. He wasn't there all last week, so I didn't see him."

The questions about Kiffin's status have been lingering over the organization since January, when the coach and owner were at odds over the defensive coordinator in a dispute that led to Davis sending Kiffin a letter of resignation to sign.

The feud has simmered ever since Davis overruled Kiffin and kept defensive coordinator Rob Ryan on staff. Kiffin has been publicly critical of personnel moves since then, distancing himself from moves he felt were made by the owner. Kiffin admitted Monday he probably could have handled his relationship with management better.

He acknowledges it's not easy to do his work amid all the reports about his job security but was proud of how his team has stayed focused.

"I don't think it helps. But like I said, I can't do anything about it," Kiffin said. "So all I can do is try to get our coaching staff to stay together in this type of situation, our players to stay together, and they did it last week. Our players did a great job in not allowing it to be a distraction for them."

The recent reports overshadowed Oakland's 23-8 victory over Kansas City that at least partially erased the disappointment of a season-opening 41-14 loss to Denver.

But instead of savoring a road win over a rival that included the first career touchdowns for Darren McFadden and Michael Bush and the Raiders' first 300-yard rushing game in 21 years, the players were greeted with more off-field questions.

"We've been dealing with that since March, or whatever; they've been going back and forth with it," receiver Ronald Curry said. "You just worry about the things that you can control. I mean, it's business, and hopefully it doesn't happen. I think Kiffin does a great job, but it's Al's team and I think Kiffin knew that when he got here. Everybody knows what's going on."

Curry said it was up to the veterans to pull aside the younger players to make sure they focused on what happens on the field and the things they can control. Kiffin is the fourth coach Curry has played for since being drafted by Oakland in 2002.

Center Jake Grove has been part of three coaching regimes since being drafted in 2004, having watched Norv Turner and Art Shell get fired already. He says he's learned to tune out those kinds of distractions because they can only take away from the performance on the field.

"When you first get here you don't know what's going on. You're just glad you're in the NFL," Grove said. "After you've been here a while you realize that you better not pay attention to that stuff because if you do and you let it affect your play, you're not going to be in the NFL. I don't think it really matters to us."

Kiffin said some players did call him Sunday night after returning home to see reports of Kiffin's possible firing on the late news. He told the players not to worry about it.

While few players were around on a day off Monday, the message appeared to have gotten through.

"I can't be worried about that. I'll let everybody upstairs worry about that," linebacker Thomas Howard said. "He'll be here next week. He's here now. He's our head coach. He's coaching us and we're going to try to keep winning games for him."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Dec 17, 2002
WWW.SICCNESS.NET
KIFFIN HARDLY OUT OF THE WOODS
Posted by Mike Florio on September 17, 2008, 10:16 p.m.

Despite the fact that Raiders owner Al Davis has yet to fire coach Lane Kiffin, it’s obvious that Kiffin isn’t long for the job.

Here’s the latest nugget of dysfunction. On Tuesday, ESPN.com’s Mark Kreidler wrote an item advising Kiffin to quit calling out Davis. On Wednesday, a team representative handed out printed copies of Kreidler’s article in the team’s media room.

Now that is messed up.

If Kiffin isn’t on the brink of being terminated, then whoever passed out that article is the one who should be. At a minimum, the Raiders should be sending out a statement declaring that the talk of Kiffin’s demise is nothing more than false rumor mongering.

We suppose that Davis hasn’t fired Kiffin this week because he has embarked on a one-game winning streak. But once the Raiders lose again, Kiffin probably will be gone.

Until then, the situation will continue to remind us of the final days of George Costanza’s career at Play Now.

KIFFIN, SYRACUSE MARRIAGE MIGHT BE A LONG SHOT
Posted by Mike Florio on September 17, 2008, 9:05 p.m.

We posted earlier in the day over at CFT an item regarding rumors linking Raiders coach Lane Kiffin to the expected vacancy in Syracuse.

But there’s a potential problem with such an arrangement.

And, yeah, to find out what it is you need to hop on over to CFT.

Come on, you get plenty of free crap here. Don’t make us beg. (Any more than we already do, that is.)

P.E.

Sicc OG
Feb 24, 2003
SUMONE NEEDS TO GET TO AL,AND PUSH UP ON HIM AND MAKE HIM "UNDERSTAND" THAT HE NEEDS TO GIVE LANE FULL CONTROL ON THE FIELD AT ALL TIMES,AND THAT ITS NOT UP FOR NEGOTIATION CUZ CERTAIN PEOPLE ARE NOT TOO HAPPY WITH HIM RIGHT NOW!.!...OR HE'LL JUST DISAPPEAR ONE DAY!....plain and simple!

DAMM!,..WHERES CHRISTOPHER AND UNCLE PAULY WHEN U NEED THEM! LOL

Dec 17, 2002
WWW.SICCNESS.NET
TAYLOR, HERRERA HAVE THE EAR OF AL DAVIS
Posted by Mike Florio on September 18, 2008, 11:44 a.m.

While the Lane Kiffin termination watch continues, we’ve picked up some interesting details about the current dynamics in the Raiders organization.

As we hear it, Davis currently is consulting with only two members of the organization regarding Kiffin’s fate: Mike Taylor and John Herrera.

Taylor is a media relations exec, and Herrera appears to be a jack of multiple trades, but apparently not a football guy.

It was Herrera, we’re told, who distributed in the press room on Wednesday the ESPN.com article regarding the folly of Kiffin’s decision to air dirty laundry regarding issues with defensive game-planning.

So why do Taylor and Herrera have Al’s ear? Apparently because they’re telling him what he wants to hear. And the strongly-held belief is that both Taylor and Herrera want Kiffin to be kaput.

It’s an aspect of human nature no different than Shawne Merriman’s search for a surgeon who would tell Merriman that he could play without knee surgery. At times, we all pick and choose the folks to whom we’ll listen based on what they’re telling us. And we opt to ignore those who say anything other than that which we want to hear.

Though it’s not publicly known whether others in the organization are of the same mindset as Taylor and Herrera, it’s safe to assume that, if they were, Davis would be talking to them, too. Since he’s only talking to Taylor and Herrera, it’s also safe to assume that the rest of the front office disagrees with what’s happening.

And so, as we understand it, when Kiffin says, “As crazy as it sounds, I know as much as [the media],” he’s telling the truth. The even more amazing part of this is that the rest of the organization, but for Taylor and Herrera, are getting their information from the media as well.

As Kiffin said, it sounds crazy. And that’s because, well, it kind of is crazy.

Dec 17, 2002
WWW.SICCNESS.NET
Kiffin is counseled by Carroll

By Steve Corkran
Staff writer
Article Launched: 09/17/2008 07:43:54 PM PDT

ALAMEDA — USC coach Pete Carroll is the person who hired Lane Kiffin for his first high-profile position. Naturally, they have remained in contact since Kiffin joined the Raiders in 2007.

Carroll said their phone calls of late have centered on Kiffin remaining focused in the face of outside distractions.

Kiffin is engaged in a power struggle with Raiders managing general partner Al Davis and in danger of being fired.

"I'm continuing to support him to do what he knows how to do," Carroll said in a conference call. "I don't know why anyone would want to make this thing so disruptive right now."

Carroll said part of the allure of coaching in the college ranks is the autonomy that comes with the job. That's something he learned from coaching stints in the NFL with the New England Patriots and New York Jets.

"It's really hard to get everybody on the same page," he said. "It's hard to support the guy who has to have the support: the head coach."

That's not a problem at USC, Carroll said.

"I'm the (general manager), I'm the personnel guy, I'm the academic adviser and I'm the head coach," he said.

Kiffin said Wednesday that he has no idea what Davis is thinking these days and has not met with him since Bay Area News Group reported Sunday that Davis is prepared to fire Kiffin.

"No, I have not had communication with him over the last two weeks," Kiffin said in a conference call with Buffalo-area
Advertisement
media. "All I know is what people tell me or what's in the paper; that front office people have informed (reporters) that he's making a decision, whenever it's coming. "... As crazy as it sounds, I know as much as (the media)."

Running backs hurting

The success enjoyed by running backs Justin Fargas and Darren McFadden against the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday didn't come without a price.

Fargas sustained a groin injury. McFadden came away from the game with turf toe. On Wednesday, both players missed practice.

Kiffin said he is hopeful that McFadden will return to practice today. As for Fargas, Kiffin said: "It doesn't look very good right now."

Therefore, second-year player Michael Bush is the lone healthy back on the Raiders roster, and he touched the ball for the first time in his two-year NFL career only four days ago.

Extra points

Left offensive tackle Kwame Harris (knee) also missed practice. He has not practiced since he sustained an injury against the Denver Broncos on Sept. 8. Kiffin said he is hopeful Harris will practice today. Harris missed last Sunday's game. Wide receiver Javon Walker (hamstring) aggravated an injury he sustained late in training camp and missed the last half of practice.

— Steve Corkran