Raiders Coach Lane Kiffin Could Be Fired As Early As Tomorrow

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 19, 2005
San Jose, CA -- (Sports Network) - Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis is reportedly prepared to fire second-year head coach Lane Kiffin during this season, perhaps as soon as Monday.

The San Jose Mercury reported Sunday, citing several sources in the Raiders front office, that Davis could fire Kiffin on Monday regardless of how Oakland fares on Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs. That Davis and Kiffin do not get along is not news in Oakland area -- reports circulated throughout the offseason that the two clashed heads over the retaining of defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.

According to the Mercury, Kiffin wanted Ryan fired after the Raiders went 4-12 in his inaugural season, but Davis disagreed. Kiffin requested to be fired if he didn't have full control of personnel and his coaching staff, and Davis told him to resign, according to the paper.

Neither happened, though, and so the Raiders, a laughingstock of the NFL since losing Super Bowl XXXVII to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and former head coach Jon Gruden, entered this season with a front office in turmoil. According to the Mercury, personnel decisions by Davis -- like the trade for cornerback DeAngelo Hall, the re-signing of defensive tackle Tommy Kelly, and the hiring of receivers coach James Lofton -- done without Kiffin's approval further angered the Raiders head coach.

Kiffin has two years remaining on his contract, and reports over the summer indicated that Davis didn't want to fire him because the head coach is still owed $4 million in guaranteed money over the next two seasons. Davis has only fired a head coach during a season once in his 46 years with the Raiders -- in 1989, when he cut loose Mike Shanahan after four games.

The Oakland head coaching position has been a turnstile since Gruden left for Tampa following the 2001 season. Bill Callahan lasted just two seasons, as did Norv Turner. Art Shell was fired after one season -- a 2-14 campaign in 2006 -- before Davis brought in Kiffin who, at 31 when he was hired, became the youngest head coach in NFL history.

Prior to leading the Raiders, Kiffin, the son of Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, was an offensive coach under head coach Pete Carroll at USC from 2001 to 2006, the last two seasons spent as the offensive coordinator for the Trojans.

The Raiders lost 41-14 in their opener to the Denver Broncos. They play at Kansas City on Sunday.

Sep 29, 2003
i bet he doesnt get fired. raiders are up 13-0.

~k.
Al Davis said he is considering firing him regardless of the outcome of that game. He's a moron, I truely believe Kiffin is the coaching answer. He is the key and the players are listening to him. He's got respect of the vet's and the rook's. He's starting to win divisional games and look at the roster he's working with....Al davis is a moron....

Nov 7, 2002
Fucking Al Davis is killing me with the I might fire the head coach bullshit fucking go take your meds old man isnt it nap time yet? Somebody get this old bastard some apple sauce so he will shut the fuck up! Cant stand how much he fucks with head coaches he makes it impossible for a head coach to win in oakland needs to just sign the checks and hire a GM to handle everything else. Let the head Coach do what he is getting paid for.

Apr 25, 2002
Fucking Al Davis is killing me with the I might fire the head coach bullshit fucking go take your meds old man isnt it nap time yet? Somebody get this old bastard some apple sauce so he will shut the fuck up! Cant stand how much he fucks with head coaches he makes it impossible for a head coach to win in oakland needs to just sign the checks and hire a GM to handle everything else. Let the head Coach do what he is getting paid for.
LMAO couldn't of said it better

Aug 9, 2006
who are thier opitions to replace though? in-house? nahhhh....they need to work it out not part ways...most coachs want complete control over game plan and players (with the gm)....al davis isnt willing to give that....how many coachs want to step down to be the raiders head coach....and how many college coachs want to leave thier post to make your first nfl impression with the raiders?