R.I.P. Grandmaster Helio Gracie

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 5, 2006
they invented BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU, its modified, Ju Jitsu is traditional, Jiu Jitsu is always advancing.

like when you buy a car, theres a muscle car, then theres a luxury car, sure theyre both cars.. but still different.

Feb 12, 2004
The art the Gracies modified was not ju jitsu. It was ne waza from Judo. The Gracies revolutionized this shit by changing the game and emphasizing leverage and technique over raw strength and power. You can't even compare the two now. Bjj is light years away on the ground.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
The art the Gracies modified was not ju jitsu. It was ne waza from Judo. The Gracies revolutionized this shit by changing the game and emphasizing leverage and technique over raw strength and power. You can't even compare the two now. Bjj is light years away on the ground.
Where do you think Judo Came from?..and BJJ aint light years away from nothin...its recognized more then other styles of jujutsu today because of the Mixed Martial arts, not because the techniques.

I trained in Both Kodokan Judo, and Jujutsu, and BJJ self defense techniques in the 90's and my sensei a 6th degree Black belt in JuJutsu, and a 5th Degree in Judo trained at the Kodokan for judo, and somehwre else in Japan for his Jujutsu. He trained under Carlson Gracie for the BJJ, and also him and his wife trained with Joyce Gracie for Awhile. Initially me and a friend took private lessons for belts I went up to green before i stopped training for belts and skipped all that for lets just say all the good stuff for fighting. When training foor the belts I was required to not only demonstrate techniques but take the test speaking Japanese (not tested on fluency but just knowing the technique names in Japanese) Many times while taking the belt training he would say this or that does or doesn't work well in real situations but it is required for the tests.
Ne Waza simply stated means working on the ground..Judo has some basic submission moves that are from JuJutsu

Feb 12, 2004
I just talking about where bjj directly came from. And if you don't think bjj is light years away on the ground you are crazy. BJJ is probably the most evolving martial art of them all. People are coming up with new techniques, escapes and submissions every single day.

Bj penn as BJJ white belt competing in a black belt judo tournament. same ground levels...lol?

Feb 12, 2004
in judo you progress faster belt ranking wise than in bjj also..

bj penn was also the first non-brazilian black belt in bjj.

Yeah I know judo hand out belts faster, but I was just proving a point that on the ground nothing is superior to BJJ even the martial art where it came from.

oh and bj wasn't the first non-brazilian black belt, but he was the fastest American to receive a black belt in bjj.:lick:

Feb 9, 2003
I hope God let's Masahiko out of Heaven and into Hell every so often so he can break Helio's arm every once in a while for thinking he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.