R.I.P. Grandmaster Helio Gracie

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 26, 2002
rip to him and the fam. my instructor got his blacc belt from renzo gracie, so everyone at the academy is saddened by this. rip. fold.

Feb 12, 2004
Damn Shogun, watching that video hit the spot. I know people always laugh and shit when you tell them you train martial arts thinking shit is a joke like some gay ass karate or kung fu, but grandmaster helio really revolutionized this shit. Having trained BJJ years now shit feels like I lost a grandfather. Dude was a real motherfucking bad ass and would serve any motherfucker who wanted some. RIP once again.

Feb 7, 2006
Royce: “Helio taught me how to be a man”

Yesterday was a sad day to all in martial arts and Jiu-Jitsu’s world. Patriarch of the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, Grandmaster Helio Gracie passed away at 95 years old, at Itaipava, Rio de Janeiro. Coming from United States, Royce was able to talk with his father for the last time before he passes. In exclusive open letter sent to TATAME.com, Royce talks about the tough moment of his family’s life:

“Today my father, Helio, at the age of 95 passed on. I am honored to be the son of such a great man! He was an inspiration to me throughout my life. As a Grandmaster of Jiu-Jitsu and the father of "Vale Tudo" he brought Gracie Jiu-Jitsu to the forefront of martial arts. He was a man of small stature but his heart was that of a giant. He proved with Gracie Jiu-Jitsu that even a small man could overcome a bigger stronger opponent by using leverage and technique. He was truly an innovator. Just look around and you can see how his success gave birth to the sport of mixed martial arts that we all enjoy today.

“Many of you may think that the greatest thing my father ever gave me was Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. But I want all of you to know that I will remember him most for what he taught me off the matt. He taught me how to be a man, a husband and a father. He showed me how to be honorable, respectful and diligent. He taught me how to be a whole person.

“I ask that together we celebrate the remarkable life of my father, Helio Gracie. The greatest tribute you can to pay to my father is to continue to train and share Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, remembering to never lose sight of the fact that what you do off the matt counts more than what you do on the matt. Face life's challenges with confidence, dare to pursue your dreams and live to the fullest just as my father did.

God bless us all!
Royce”

Jan 5, 2006
RIP to the innovator of BJJ. Trained hard today in honor of him. We have a big picture of him at the gym, and theres a black belt hung next to it. Only man to ever hold the Red belt in Jiu Jitsu, and it will probably stay that way.. i think it's after 9th or 10th degree you get it, or only the head master of the art will ever have it.

Jan 5, 2006
i stand corrected, The solid red belt is for 9th and 10th degree. The 10th degree is reserved for the art's founder Carlos Gracie Sr and his brothers, Hélio Gracie, Gastão Gracie Jr, Jorge Gracie and Oswaldo Gracie and cannot be achieved through normal rank progression.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
To all who like Mixed Martial Arts know this guy.....the inventor of BJJ(Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) has passed away being 95 years old.

R.I.P. Helio Gracie my prayers go out to you and your family..

http://www.graciemag.com/news/144/ARTICLE/13149/2009-01-29.html
Im sorry but I gotta say this. I realize the contributions the family has made to martial arts but inventing something is not one of them!! JUJUTSU/JIU JITSU is a JAPANESE ART. Thats like somebody from Sweden going to Mexico learning how to make tacos..then going back to sweden and calling them Swedish Tacos and over a period of time it becomes original even though its just a fuckin Taco!

Apr 26, 2002
Im sorry but I gotta say this. I realize the contributions the family has made to martial arts but inventing something is not one of them!! JUJUTSU/JIU JITSU is a JAPANESE ART. Thats like somebody from Sweden going to Mexico learning how to make tacos..then going back to sweden and calling them Swedish Tacos and over a period of time it becomes original even though its just a fuckin Taco!
ur right 50, the japanese art that the gracies MODIFIED was JUJUTSU but it was more JUDO based. the gracies modified it to the jiu jitsu that is popular in mma today. i don't think the gracies are taking credit for "inventing" jiu jitsu. they jus take credit for inventing BRAZILIAN jiu jitsu. fold.