prescription meds in drinking warter

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
when you account for the environmentak destruction caused by bottled water, you're much better off drinking tap water

Nov 21, 2007
it's trace amounts, there are some reasons to think these have some influence on the environment, but more research is needed to prove it; no need to panic;
trace amounts of anything over an extended amount of time add up. Multiply the amount found, with the approx number of times someone drinks a glass of water per year.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
trace amounts of anything over an extended amount of time add up. Multiply the amount found, with the approx number of times someone drinks a glass of water per year.
Then account for the initial cause of why these drugs ended up in the water - because >90% of the drug does not get into the bloodstream

<10% of trace amounts = even more insignificant

Nov 21, 2007
Then account for the initial cause of why these drugs ended up in the water - because >90&#37; of the drug does not get into the bloodstream

<10% of trace amounts = even more insignificant
I think that the absorbtion amount would depend on what type of drug it is, besides, that ten percent may not seem much to you or me, but to children and the eldery, it can mean a lot.

and your still not accounting for the amount consumed over an extended period of time..

lets say one glass of water for breakfast will get me ten percent of drug-x

i have another glass for lunch.. thats twenty percent total..

another for dinner, thats thirty percent total...

then one more before bed, thats forty percent..

Dec 27, 2002
from the link ThaG provided (http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/20...agazine&utm_campaign=internal&#37;2Blinkshare):

"Ultimately, though, many scientists point to the fact that all these pharmaceutical contaminants are present only in trace amounts. A 2005 joint USGS-CDC study which found the anti-seizure medication carbamazepine in a stream, for instance, noted that a person would have to drink two liters of stream water daily for 70 years to get even a tenth of a therapeutic dose of the medication."

Mar 4, 2007
i'm cool with waitin' to see what happens.. you keep drinkin' that shit and keep me informed.
lol.
that reminds me of people makin fun of me being healthy and eating raw veggies whenever i can.(you eatin a carrot? wtf are you a rabbit? "no i'm fuckin human and your suppose to eat veggies dumbass")

i'm like, aight, keep eatin those hormone pumped and processed grains that are fed to cows and your bags of processed potato chips...and carbonated sodas filled with aspartame
and tell me what major illnesses you have in 10 years...:ermm:
lol(^mostly my family^)

Mar 4, 2007
and what about water purification systems like Brita and Pur(with that little symbol over the u)?

do those make any improvements or are they too untraceable by those purifcation systems?

shit, imma bout to just gather my own water lol..
bout to live in a place where its snows hella, so i can just gather snow, and let that shit melt and bottle that shit for myself.
wow i sound like a damn hippie.

Sep 28, 2002
so, you are assuming 100&#37; bioavailability and complete metabolism and that drug metabolites weren't potentially analyzed?
There is no assumption of 100% Fa. For the majority of medications. there is a large Fa (contrary to what The G says) and a small fe so you end up with a large portion of the drug absorbed say normally aprox 70 % and some kind of fraction excreted unchanged of like 15 % so thats maximum 30% excreted as fecal matter (if we assume a sterile gut with no enzymatic activity and zero first pass which is retarded) and 15 percent of that 70 % (10.5 %) excreted you end up with a hypothetical 40% per dose released into the environment. (a minority btw) compare that will a whole bottle of 90 prozac dumped directly into the toilet. (Fa =100% and fe =5 % for fluoxetine). And yes I assumed inactive nontoxic metabolites becasue we were talking about measured levels of medications in the drinking water.

Step your Kinetics Game Up!

youre very smart

Human use of pharmaceutical drugs and personal care products has increased to
extremely high levels. Several kilotons of nonsteroidal anti- inflammatory drugs, such as
ibuprofen, alone are produced annually worldwide (Cleuvers 2003). Pharmaceuticals and
PCPs eventually get washed from the body and enter water systems, ultimately winding
up in the effluent of wastewater treatment plants and aquatic environments. Since
medical substances are developed with the intention of performing some sort of
biological function, they have a tendency to bioaccumulate and induce effects in aquatic
and terrestrial ecosystems (Halling-Sorensen et al. 1998).
Every journal article I reviewed acknowledged that pharmaceuticals and PCPs are being
released into the environment. Not only are these products being released after usage, but
also during manufacturing and disposal of unused or expired drugs
(Breton and Boxall
2003). Millions of prescription and nonprescription drugs are purchased and ingested by
or applied on individuals. Ingested drugs are eventually excreted from individua ls
through urine or feces. Buhner (2002) states that high percentages of many
pharmaceuticals can be excreted from the body unmetabolized and enter wastewater as
biologically active substances. A specific example that supports this claim is provided in
a study published in the scientific journal, Chemosphere, by Klaus Kummerer (2001),
which states that 90% of the drug, propofol found in anesthesia, is excreted
unmetabolized. This is a very high percentage and it illustrates that large amounts of
various unmetabolized pharmaceuticals are being released into wastewater
where their
environmental impacts are not well known.
Unmetabolized pharmaceuticals are often the most non-biodegradable substances in the
environment (Stuer-Lauridsen et al. 2000). Their intrinsic medicinal properties give them
the tendency to bioaccumulate in other organisms besides humans and thereby potentially
provoke effects on the biota of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems (Halling-Sorensen
1998). Many pharmaceuticals are often persistent and lipophilic - able to pass through
cell membranes, which allows them to carry out specific biological functions. Many
pharmaceuticals are relatively stable to avoid being biologically inactivated before
carrying out the ir intended pharmaceutical effects in the body.
Gee Thanks! You seem smart as well & it looks like you enjoy reading! Thats SWELL! Well then why not try reading these!

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/publications/dont_flush_meds.pdf

http://www.ecocycle.org/askeco-cycle/20040123.cfm

http://www.fws.gov/news/NewsReleases/showNews.cfm?newsId=708A991D-F915-7BD0-085DE68425ABF68B

I like to read too so and I read the article that was posted it's flawed I've bolded a few of the problems I found. He jumps to some pretty big conclusions. He asserts that high percentages of meds can be excreted and sites 1 example that of propofol an IV medicaiton and claims this illustraits his point. I don't dispute that high percentages can be excreted they just normally are not. I can't say the case is made in my eyes. Also the author kind of slightly makes reference to my assertion of the cause if you noticed?

Apr 8, 2005
from the link ThaG provided (http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/20...tent=magazine&utm_campaign=internal+linkshare):

"Ultimately, though, many scientists point to the fact that all these pharmaceutical contaminants are present only in trace amounts. A 2005 joint USGS-CDC study which found the anti-seizure medication carbamazepine in a stream, for instance, noted that a person would have to drink two liters of stream water daily for 70 years to get even a tenth of a therapeutic dose of the medication."
depends how the word trace is used, i know there are "trace" amounts of methadone in bennodryll, and i know if you take 15-20 of them youll have the methadone trip of yur life.

Jan 31, 2008
depends how the word trace is used, i know there are "trace" amounts of methadone in bennodryll, and i know if you take 15-20 of them youll have the methadone trip of yur life.
never heard of that one.
i know that benadryl can give you a buzz if u take enough, but not a methadone buzz thats for sure.

Apr 8, 2005
never heard of that one.
i know that benadryl can give you a buzz if u take enough, but not a methadone buzz thats for sure.
ive taken 30 before when i was young and stupid, was hallucinating and shit, had a crazy methadone type high, cause ive done methadone, and my friend gave it to this little kid too, the lil kid almost died, had to be rushed to the hospital, when they gave him a ua to see wtf he had, it showed methadone in his system, the docter was tellin the kids mom that there is trace ammount in there, i heard the story when this kids dad approached me lookin to whoop my friends ass for given that lil kid the benodryll

Dec 27, 2002
There is no assumption of 100% Fa. For the majority of medications. there is a large Fa (contrary to what The G says) and a small fe so you end up with a large portion of the drug absorbed say normally aprox 70 % and some kind of fraction excreted unchanged of like 15 % so thats maximum 30% excreted as fecal matter (if we assume a sterile gut with no enzymatic activity and zero first pass which is retarded) and 15 percent of that 70 % (10.5 %) excreted you end up with a hypothetical 40% per dose released into the environment. (a minority btw) compare that will a whole bottle of 90 prozac dumped directly into the toilet. (Fa =100% and fe =5 % for fluoxetine). And yes I assumed inactive nontoxic metabolites becasue we were talking about measured levels of medications in the drinking water.

Step your Kinetics Game Up!
so, to sum up, drugs are absorbed and metabolized to varying extents, influencing the amount eventually excreted. yes. i know that. thanks.

my point is that the relative contribution of excreted products to measured drug levels in the water is greater than that of "dumped" products because dumping isn't THAT frequent/common, but people shit and piss all day, every day, and that adds up.