Pats have nothing on Browns!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 2, 2002
Pats have nothing on '48 Browns
Long-forgotten perfection of old AAFC Cleveland team

BY DAVE ANDERSON | THE NEW YORK TIMES

During the Patriots' journey to their Super Bowl XLII opportunity for a record 19-0 season, they upstaged the NFL's only other unbeaten and untied team, the 1972 Dolphins, who were 17-0. But buried in a forgotten pro football graveyard is a forgotten unbeaten and untied team, the 1948 Cleveland Browns.

Those early Browns, named for coach Paul Brown and led by quarterback Otto Graham, went 14-0 during the regular schedule, then routed the Buffalo Bills 49-7 in the All-America Football Conference championship game for a 15-0 sweep in the midst of what would be a 29-game unbeaten streak (with two ties) over three seasons. The All-America what? Surely you mean the American Football League?

No, the AFL didn't arrive until 1960, a decade after the All-America Football Conference had vanished after four seasons following World War II, mostly because the Browns were so good. They had wrecked the league's competitive balance. The Browns won all four titles, compiling a 47-4-3 regular-season record, winning a playoff game and going 4-0 in championship games, including two with the New York Yankees.

In the truce that ended the NFL's expensive duel for players with the AAFC, the NFL absorbed the Browns, the San Francisco 49ers and the Baltimore Colts.

It also took the best players from the other five franchises, notably defensive tackle Arnie Weinmeister and defensive back Tom Landry, who joined the Giants after having starred for the New York Yankees, who played at Yankee Stadium.

Unlike the NFL's later acceptance of all AFL team and player records in their 1966 merger agreement, the NFL refused to recognize the AAFC statistics. The current Browns media guide still lists the team's results and starting lineups for 1946 through 1949, but the NFL tossed all those names and numbers into an unmarked grave, as if they never existed.

In 1950, the Browns' first season in the NFL, they proved they existed. They stunned the two-time reigning champions, the Philadelphia Eagles, 35-10, in the opener, posted a 10-2 record (both losses to the Giants), nipped the Giants, 8-3, in an East Division playoff at Cleveland, then rallied to defeat the Los Angeles Rams 30-28 in the championship game on Lou Groza's 16-yard field goal with 28 seconds left.

Over a 10-year stretch, the Browns, who also captured the 1954 and 1955 championships, won seven NFL and AAFC titles and 10 division titles. But to Brown, his unbeaten and untied '48 Browns were the best Browns team of all.

"Even greater than the 1950 NFL championship squad, and probably the greatest pro football team ever up to that time," he wrote in his 1990 book, "PB: The Paul Brown Story" in collaboration with Jack Clary. "Since we didn't play in the NFL, it didn't count. I know this, though: the Browns, 49ers and Yankees were better than any of the NFL teams that year, and we beat those other two teams twice."

In addition to Brown, who later guided the Cincinnati Bengals to two Super Bowl appearances as general manager, six early Browns are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame: Graham (one of four quarterbacks on the NFL's all-time team along with Sammy Baugh, Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana), fullback Marion Motley, wide receiver Dante Lavelli, center Frank Gatski, middle guard Bill Willis and Groza, who was a kicker and offensive tackle. "The real measure of our '48 team," Brown wrote, "was its ability to play and win three games within eight days, something no football team before, or since, has been asked to do."

All three games were on the road. On a Sunday in New York before 52,518 at the Stadium, the Browns beat the Yankees 34-21; boarded a 16-hour flight to Los Angeles, where they stopped the Dons 31-14, before 60,031 in the Coliseum on Thanksgiving Day; then edged the 49ers 31-28, three days later before 59,785 at Kezar Stadium in San Francisco.

"The main thing about Paul Brown," Lavelli said. "was how articulate he was and how everything had to be perfect."

Lou Saban, a linebacker on the '48 Browns who later coached the Denver Broncos and the Buffalo Bills, recalled asking Brown why he made his players create a new playbook every year at training camp when it was mostly the same plays. "When you write it, you remember it," Brown said.

Around that time, Brown turned running back Dub Jones into what most historians consider football's first flanker back. "I had been the man in motion, but one day, Paul just told me to set out there on either side," Jones said.

May 2, 2002
I know. And that won’t change…especially with the media we have now. Shit...if you watch TV...you would think the only team that played all year was NE.

It’s all about the now…and what have you done for me lately. I think the same way.

But most football fans…and probably most on here don’t really know a whole lot about the history of the NFL. They say they do…but probably don’t.

As an example….Steelers fans think football started in the 70’s. Niners fans think football started in the 80’s…Dallas fans in the 90’s…and of course the Pats now.

I'm just showing my team a little love…just some info that some may not know.

Nov 7, 2006
the browns arent mentioned for a reason. there waaaaay back where most people wont even give a fuck and they werent NFL at the time thats why they always say in NFL history. i mean the longest win streak doesnt even go to browns with 29 we got it at 21

May 2, 2002
Another one...playing and winning three games in seven days on both coasts...must have been tough.

Patriots remind Lavelli of perfect Browns of '48
By Mike Bambach, USA TODAY

Watching the New England Patriots reminds Dante Lavelli of the Cleveland Browns and their glory days.
More than their talent, he marvels at the Patriots' teamwork.

"They have that cohesiveness," the 84-year-old Hall of Famer says in a telephone interview from his furniture store in Rocky River, Ohio. "And that's the ultimate achievement."

The Browns had that, too, in Lavelli's day. He says it's what carried them to pro football's first perfect season in 1948.

"Everybody talks about Miami in 1972 and now the Patriots, but we did it first," Lavelli says. "You have to get across the idea of the caliber of players with 32 teams. We didn't play any cupcakes."

The Browns also didn't play in the NFL that year, which is why the league doesn't recognize the Browns for going undefeated. Cleveland dominated the eight-team All-America Football Conference from 1946-49, winning four consecutive championships.

Their supremacy also contributed to the AAFC's demise, and the Browns merged with the NFL in 1950 along with the San Francisco 49ers and the original Baltimore Colts. "I don't think we were realizing what we were doing. We just played Sunday after Sunday," Lavelli says.

The Browns also won Sunday after Sunday. They were so dominant, compiling a 47-4-3 overall record, the AAFC mandated they give players to lesser teams.

That's how Hall of Fame quarterback Y.A. Tittle, the AAFC's 1948 Rookie of Year, was drafted by the Browns but ended up with the Colts.

The team's modest 36-man roster featured six Hall of Famers.

"Think of that," says Joe Horrigan, vice president of communications for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. "Today's rosters are 53 players and a practice squad."

Consider this: Tom Brady and the Patriots are playing their fourth Super Bowl in seven years.

Impressive?

Quarterback Otto Graham, another Browns Hall of Famer, played in 10 championship games in his 10-year career from 1946-55 — four in the AAFC, six in the NFL — and won seven. "Talk about unbreakable records," Horrigan says.

Lavelli, who was there for all 10 title games, recalls playing and winning three games in seven days on both coasts toward the end of the 1948 season.

"I was so sore I slept in the aisle of the plane," Lavelli says. "Do you think any of these teams could do that today?"

Lavelli's Browns were a close team.

"One team, one family," Lavelli says. "Everyone was a friend. That's what made the Browns; the cohesiveness."

That's the quality Lavelli admires in the Patriots. He even compares Bill Belichick to Paul Brown, Belichick's coaching hero.

"I never heard him swear," Lavelli says of Brown, his coach at Ohio State then Cleveland. "He never bawled out a player in front of others. (Belichick) handles his players like Brown. He doesn't make his players heroes."

Nov 7, 2006
another thing that makes the pats season more impressive than the 72 dolphins or the brown for that matter is the free agency and salary cap. the reason these were put in is so there would never be a dynasty team or 16-0 teams and to make things well balanced. the fact that the patriots won 3 sb's in 4 yrs and are now going for there 4th in an era that it's not suppose to ever happen is what really impresses me.

May 2, 2002
The point of this isn’t who would win…nobody knows and nobody cares. lol…consider it a history lesson.

10 straight championships and they won 7. How is that not impressive?

May 30, 2006
This is no comparison cuz football was played on totally different level. Might as well be ona different planet as far as I'm concerned. The NFL was brutal back then but its far more competitive today. Not taking nothing away from the Browns but comparing a team from like the 1940's to a team today is like comparing The Luniz to Run DMC or the Mob Figaz to the Sugar Hill Gang. Totally different eras.

May 2, 2002
Different eras, yes…but who’s to say it's more competitive now.

I’m sure some people think RUN DMC or the Sugar Hill Gang is better than the Luniz or the Mob Figaz.

Some think with this many teams the league is watered down. Plus…the rules nowadays take away from the game…you can barely touch a player it seems.

Is that better…I don’t know.

Nov 7, 2006
the fucking dolphins of right now would win 7 straight in the 40's if u ask me. it's alot harder to win in this day and age and even for the 80's and 90's if u took the pats and put them in the 40's they would win every single game a blowout with no1 even matching up to them if u ask me.

Nov 7, 2006
Different eras, yes…but who’s to say it's more competitive now.

I’m sure some people think RUN DMC or the Sugar Hill Gang is better than the Luniz or the Mob Figaz.

Some think with this many teams the league is watered down. Plus…the rules nowadays take away from the game…you can barely touch a player it seems.

Is that better…I don’t know.
the only rules that are bullshit is the qb rules but the other ones usually make it more competitive because u have to flat out beat a team instead of cheap shottin there best player and get tham all scared u actually have to shut them down in a non dirty way if u will.

Jun 15, 2005
Were they even using the forward pass back then? Was the league all white back then? Do the skills and training of 40s athletes compare to those of today?

Nov 7, 2006
^^^no no no and a big NO. lol thats what i'm tryin to say is that the league is more competitive and have more actual athletes that would look superhuman if u put them in the 40's

May 2, 2002
I wasn't trying to compare the two teams...like they would beat the Pats now.

The point is/was they were a "dynasty" in their time. Before all of the well known dynasties...Steelers, Niners, Cowboys and Pats...there were the Browns.

Going to 10 straight championships is extremely impressive...no matter when you're playing.

Look...the fact of the matter is that no other team is even close to doing what the Browns did.

May 2, 2002
That was the AAFC…and then there were 13 or so total when they moved to the NFL.

Either way…yes…why not?

Having 32 teams doesn’t mean you have more talent or that it’s more competitive.

You don’t play every team.

Jun 15, 2005
You also don't play all the other teams twice and then the seasons a wrap.

With pro sports being in its infancy and with only eight teams, it would be easier to have a shitload of talent on one team.That's exactly what happened, and that's why the Browns had to divide their players amongst the other teams.

Would that EVER happen in todays game?

This message has been deleted by gimpypimp. Reason: Because if you don't know there was a forward pass...I'm wasting my time.
And, don't try to play like I'm dumb. I could have been a little more clear about my question, but you and I both know that the pass wasn't being used then like it is today.

What's the significance? it takes a different kind of athlete to run routes and defend routes.

Also, did you know there was a guy back then that lead the league in rushing, INT's, and kickoff returns. What does that say about the quality of athlete and level of play throughout the league?

Don't make it seem as if the Browns accomplishments are somehow on par with the Pats of today. You trying to argue makes it seem like you believe that shit.

This is a history lesson, nothing more. Thanks.