Paranormal Activity

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 9, 2005
Just watched this shit @ The Metreon last night, and I really enjoyed it.

It was a pretty creepy ass flick, and leaves a lot to the imagination, in a time where movies like Saw are pretty much what today's horror film looks like. I got goose bumps a few times during this flick!

Recommend watching it in a packed house! Definitely a dope ass movie, probably going to go see it again this weekend!

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
It's opening at select theatres nationwide Friday.

If it gets requested on their site a million times it will open with a wide release nationwide. Last I checked they were halfway there.

I'm going to watch it tonight during work seeing we are going to be dead slow. I'll let you guys know what I think of it later on or tomorrow. I'm going in with mixed feelings about it.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Meh, didn't get to watch this today. I'll more then likely check it out sometime while we are showing it though.

I'm curious to see a few different peoples thoughts about the movie once they have seen it.

Dec 9, 2005
^ Definitely one of those movies that you gotta watch at the theater! It was dope watching this flick with a packed house!

I'm gonna watch this movie again this weekend! Glad to hear that its being released nationwide...

Oct 3, 2006
yeah its def. one of those movies u gotta see in theatres i dont think it would be the same if it was on dvd...that movie is like the exorcist of this generation IMO

Mar 1, 2006
www.sendearnings.com
Is 'Paranormal Activity' the Next 'Blair Witch Project'?

http://insidemovies.moviefone.com/2...5/paranormal-activity-movie-next-blair-witch/

The phenomenon that was 'The Blair Witch Project' is a rarity Hollywood has been dying to replicate since the Little Indie That Could's 1999 release, when it scared up a staggering $140 million -- from a budget of $60,000.

Well, the next 'Blair Witch' may have arrived. (Let's all just pretend the abominable 'Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2' never existed.)

The suddenly super-buzzed-about horror flick 'Paranormal Activity' was made for a mere $11,000 over the course of seven days -- and is now being called "the scariest movie of the decade." The film follows a young couple (Katie Featherston and Micah Sloat) who, convinced they're being haunted by spirits, set up a video camera to monitor their bedroom over the course of 20 nights.

After sinking into my seat for the better part of its 99 minute-runtime at a midnight screening earlier this morning, I'm inclined to agree. No other film this millennium has proved so shockingly chilling ('The Descent' comes closest) -- or packed the kind of lingering effects to leave you shaken and utterly terrified of your own home.

Adam Goodman, president of production at Paramount -- who scooped the film up after its 2008 debut at the Slamdance Film Festival -- stopped by last night's screening, the first in New York, to introduce it. Goodman recalled how 35 people had walked out of an early test screening; exit interviews with those folks revealed it wasn't because they weren't enjoying the film. It was because they were too scared.

Goodman also admitted that DreamWorks, formerly a leg of Paramount co-headed by Steven Spielberg, had swooped in and pocketed 'Paranormal Activity' with every intention of leaving it on the shelf and remaking it with a big budget and marquee stars. Then they wised up.

So now here we have an ultra-low budget horror film with incredible buzz positioned to be a sleeper hit. Sounds a little bit like the summer of '99, no?

The similarities to 'Blair Witch' don't stop there. The film plays out entirely through shaky cam, features unknown actors in authentic performances, oftentimes relies on cerebral distress and off-camera jolts to scare, and slowly builds up to a shocking climax.

What the minds behind 'Paranormal' are doing differently is all in the marketing. They're not attempting to convince us this is a true story, a strategy that resulted in big bucks for 'Blair Witch' but a subsequent backlash from angry moviegoers who complained they were duped (but really people, you thought that was real?).

It's almost unheard of for a major studio to acquire such a tiny film. But Paramount is stayed true to the movie's grassroots nature by opening the film first in only 10 (somewhat random) markets, not including major cities like New York and L.A., then calling on audiences to demand it. It's a bold strategy for a major distributor.

Will it repeat the success of 'Blair Witch'? It's too early to tell, but the cards are falling into place -- last night in L.A., for example, 4,500 people lined up to try to get into a special screening. And 'Paranormal Activity' beats out 'Blair Witch' in one vital field: It's scarier. While 'Blair Witch' may have scared people away from the woods for a few years (like 'Jaws' did the water two decades earlier), who's going to stay away from their own bedroom? Consider yourselves warned.

UPDATE (10/6): Currently playing on only 33 screens across the country, the film will open in 10 more markets this weekend -- Boston, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Cleveland, El Paso, Hampton Roads metro area, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Portland, Salt Lake City, and Toronto. Meanwhile, Paramount remains committed to their promise to open the film in every market once they reach 1 million "demands" (they're currently just shy of 400,000).

UPDATE (10/8): Demands are up to nearly 700,000 -- with the AOL/Moviefone audience largely responsible for the boom. Some choice quotes on the film from our readers:

"We drove 3 and a half hours in the rain to watch this movie and 3 and half hours back. We knew it wasn't true and was like 'Blair Witch.' None of us were sorry we went. We had a blast. There are no big special effects and very little cast but if you want to have fun and like being scared it's worth going to see." -- Donna H.

"I saw this film over a year ago on its last public showing in San Francisco. This was the scariest movie I have seen in a long time... you have no idea WTF is going on, and the ending is the best." -- Rob

"I watched it twice, and I got interviewed by MTV NEWS where I told them that this is the scariest movie of all time, when this movie comes out, everyone will be scared 2 go 2 bed, I guarantee it!!! -- Eugene

"My daughter called me after watching this movie and said it scared the HELL out of her. Can't wait to see it!" -- jemteku

"I saw it in Ann Arbor, MI. And I have to be honest I'm pretty tough guy and I screamed like a little beeatch. go see it and make sure you pee b4 you go." -- Jon

"I was a member of the original test screening audience and it was truly creepy...the girl i went with had to sleep over and actually sleep with me that night...haha." -- thrush2006

"Saw this movie friday night in Vegas, omg i was shaking and wiggin out, scariest movie i have ever seen, i am still shaken, i'm actually in my room with the lights on and still cant sleep, every little nose in the house scares me." -- Fernando

"This is the scariest movie of all time... Prepare yourself if you watch this movie, it is not for the faint at heart." -- Jacob