OT: Dr. Dre laptop

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2003
I can build a killer ass gaming computer for less than $800.
been there done that.

Currently:

Acer X233Hbid 23" monitor
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Case
Intel Core2Quad Q9400 2.66GHz (OCed to 3.2 on air cooling, ~50C-55C with Prime95 running for 28 hours)
Biostar TPower I-45 MoBo
GeForce 9800GTX+
4GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066
500GB HD (nothing special here, just highest rated, with a good price)
Cheap DVD/CD burner

Built it about 9 months ago for ~$1100 total, including monitor. Its nothing too special, but it runs Fallout 3 on Ultra settings at about 30-40FPS

Dec 2, 2007
been there done that.

Currently:

Acer X233Hbid 23" monitor
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Case
Intel Core2Quad Q9400 2.66GHz (OCed to 3.2 on air cooling, ~50C-55C with Prime95 running for 28 hours)
Biostar TPower I-45 MoBo
GeForce 9800GTX+
4GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066
500GB HD (nothing special here, just highest rated, with a good price)
Cheap DVD/CD burner

Built it about 9 months ago for ~$1100 total, including monitor. Its nothing too special, but it runs Fallout 3 on Ultra settings at about 30-40FPS
Pretty ironic, I built mine in February
Intel core2quad Q6700 2.66 GHZ
ASUS p5n-d mobo
Geforce 9800 GTX+
4 Gb OCZ ddr2 800 mhz
500 GB HDD
750 Watt PSU
22" wide screen
Windows 7 enterprise

Total was about 1000, yours is probably slightly faster because of the 1066 mhz on the ram.

Dec 2, 2007
Anyone who knows anything about computers knows that it really isn't a bad deal. All that packed into a laptop is actually really good. They aren't screwing anyone over at all if its going to sell for $1,700. Now let me tell you about a fucking rip off.. A mac book pro, now that's buying brand name for nothing.

Nov 14, 2003
Pretty ironic, I built mine in February
Intel core2quad Q6700 2.66 GHZ
ASUS p5n-d mobo
Geforce 9800 GTX+
4 Gb OCZ ddr2 800 mhz
500 GB HDD
750 Watt PSU
22" wide screen
Windows 7 enterprise

Total was about 1000, yours is probably slightly faster because of the 1066 mhz on the ram.
forgot, I have a 750 Watt PSU also. Running Vista 64 Ultimate. Too cheap to buy an external HD to back all my shit up so I can move to Windows 7.

I did all of my comparison shoping on Newegg, then printed it off and went to Micro Center. Found a good chunk of the shit in store for $10-$15 cheaper then online, and also found the Q9400 for the same price as the Q6700. Wasn't planning to do much OCing at the time, so I went with the Q9400. Got home, fucked around with it, and even pushed it to it limits to see just what I could get out of it. Managed to hit 3.8 GHz on my final test, but Windows would load, then crash 10 seconds later. Dropped it down to 3.2 and it has been sitting there.

Dec 2, 2007
forgot, I have a 750 Watt PSU also. Running Vista 64 Ultimate. Too cheap to buy an external HD to back all my shit up so I can move to Windows 7.

I did all of my comparison shoping on Newegg, then printed it off and went to Micro Center. Found a good chunk of the shit in store for $10-$15 cheaper then online, and also found the Q9400 for the same price as the Q6700. Wasn't planning to do much OCing at the time, so I went with the Q9400. Got home, fucked around with it, and even pushed it to it limits to see just what I could get out of it. Managed to hit 3.8 GHz on my final test, but Windows would load, then crash 10 seconds later. Dropped it down to 3.2 and it has been sitting there.
Thats pretty sick 3.2. I haven't done any yet because I have no experience with it and heard it can cause your system to over heat pretty easy. It's all about slow increments I guess.

May 7, 2008
u are the biggest wannabe / idiot ive ever came across...

your not a rapper
you cant make music
you dont have any connections
you not dating jessica alba
your not tech n9ns best friend
your not going to ever do anything

grow up..

let the kids buy crap like this to be cool

Oct 25, 2006
K 1 GB of video memory.. Thats not RAM. It doesn't mention the RAM, but the i7, solid state drives and the video card make it a pretty sick laptop. Considering the i7 alone is $900 and thats an awesome video card + SSD are super expensive its probably worth it. I'm sure it comes with at least 4 gigs of ram as well.
Thats pretty sick 3.2. I haven't done any yet because I have no experience with it and heard it can cause your system to over heat pretty easy. It's all about slow increments I guess.
Just because the parts are super expensive doesn't mean it's worth buying. SSDs are for yuppies who can't stand to wait around a minute for the fucking computer to boot up. yeah, they're fast, but the price is inflated so bad when you can get a TB harddisk and it's just as reliable.

The Core i7 that comes with that laptop is worth $379.99 at Newegg.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819111015

And I doubt it's even worth that. Look at the clock speed. I know clock speed isn't everything, but when you're selling the desktop version of that processor at 2.8GHz with a $100 price drop, it makes you wonder if the thing is even worth that much. And even still, I don't see how that equates into the $2,400 price tag on the laptop, since the processor is a good chunk of the price.

Oh, and the video card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161260

That's the desktop version of it. Worth $100. Keep in mind that the GPU is also a big chunk of the price. Twice as much video memory isn't going to turn that low-tier video card into a state of the art graphics card like in today's machines. When I shop for computer parts, I'm lookin for the best parts for the best price. The parts are low-end and they're being sold in a sub-par laptop under a mediocre name called Beats, by Dr. Dre, one of the most overrated producers of all time, at an outrageous price. Nice job N8. Good luck with that child support. I'm off to play The Saboteur.

Nov 14, 2003
Just because the parts are super expensive doesn't mean it's worth buying. SSDs are for yuppies who can't stand to wait around a minute for the fucking computer to boot up. yeah, they're fast, but the price is inflated so bad when you can get a TB harddisk and it's just as reliable.
I agree, SSD's are not worth it right now. for some people, yes, but for me, I could care less. ~$300 for a 120GB... I'll pass. I would rather pay half the price and have 2TB of storage, then pay that and have faster load times. Biggest spot you are gaining in is your boot time for Windows, and the start-up time of your games. That is not worth the money for me.

Nov 14, 2003
OCing does make your system run hotter, true. But with it running at stock speed, with the cooler I have, the temp topped out at ~35C-40C. Computers default cut off temp is 60C, but they are safe up to the 75C range. I put my cut off at 65C, and started to do the OCing. running at 50C-55C is perfectly safe for my system, and there is still a little room left for the fluke heat spike, which I have not seen after almost a year. Hell, my comp ran in the 50C-55C range with the stock CPU cooler that came with the Q9400, and dropped dramatically with the after market one I have.

Nov 14, 2002
Just preorderd it to go with my headphones cant wait
No you didn't, and why would you anyway?

Why are you such a fagot nate?

actually when you go out buy your adidas, nike, fubu, or whatever thats all your actually buying is a name. you have done it before yourself. So why jump his case over it.
Adidas, Nike, Fubu or whatever all are known for making clothes. Dr. Dre makes beats. When you but an Adidas shoe you're paying for a certain quality item that they are known for making. WTF does Dr. Dre know about laptops?

And let me know if I'm wrong but I don't see anything on that laptop that suggests that Dr. Dre had anything to do with it. It would be a fuckload cheaper just to but a Dr. Dre sticker and slap it on the top.

I don't even know what a "beats" logo is.

Feb 13, 2006
But the part your not getting is, the fact that when myself or some others buy a product, we arent buying that product just cuz of the name on it. We are buying a good product that happens to be made by that "name". I dont go 2 the shoe store and just go right to the Nike's section because Im only gonna buy shoes Nike makes. I will look at Nike, Adidas and all the rest to see what looks the best, if it happens to be a Nike shoe I like the best, ok cool Ill get it not cuz its Nike but its cuz its the shoe I want.

In Nates case he simply sees Dr. Dre in the title and wants it. Doesnt matter what it does or the capabilities of it. He just wants the "Dr Dre" laptop.

See the difference?

Normally I would never even give 2 shits and take the time to write this long reply but Im so fuckin bored at work right now its not even funny. I need shit to take up time. Thanks for the 3 mins of typing fucker....
Trust me I definately get what your saying but, you missed my point all together.

Feb 28, 2008
actually when you go out buy your adidas, nike, fubu, or whatever thats all your actually buying is a name. you have done it before yourself. So why jump his case over it.
Naa.. I'm saying you could buy a laptop with the same specs as this without the Dre name on it and it would be cheaper. They can overprice is just because it has Dre's name on it..... Just like they did with them headphones.

Jul 7, 2002
The Dre headphones are pretty badass. I've heard good things about the computer as well.

Would I buy either, no, but I hear they are both quality equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.